• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Old Fires Burn Out the Brightest

“Color wheel boomer is out of her shimmering mind!” Floydien spat.

“But Floydien—” Rainbow Dash stammered, clutching the folds of her robe.

“No no no!” Floydien turned his flank to her, pacing across the Plaza Topaz courtyard in the early morning light. “Floydien did not trot all this way just to become skinned pelt pelt!”

“It's just a way for us to get inside Saikano's military compound!” Rainbow exclaimed. “You know what's at stake here! If we don't get in close enough to discover what makes the Soul Sentries tick, then we may never find a way for the Noble Jury to fly beyond the West Gate!”

Floydien turned and glared at her. “This was the charcoal boomer's idea, wasn't it?”

Rainbow turned and glanced over her shoulder. From a distance, Arcanista and Midnite Bastion could be seen inside the lobby, fidgeting anxiously as they looked at the conversation from a distance.

“So what if it is?” Rainbow muttered. She turned back to face Floydien. “She's a contact that we now have from inside Saikano's operations. Nothing more.”

“Bite the boomer's tongue!” Floydien hissed. “Floydien knows exactly what she is.”

“Do ya, pal?” Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “Do you really? Or is it still the same damn mystery to you as it was back in Bountiful?”

“Nnnngh...” Floydien trotted away. “Floydien doesn't need any of this spit spit—”

“Was it really a desire to help us that brought you wagon-dragging into Val Roa?” Rainbow called after him. “Or something else? Somepony else?”

Floydien scuffled to a stop. His shoulders shook angrily.

“Ahem...” Jake plodded up, standing beside Rainbow Dash with a smirk aimed at the elk. “Just what did you go on a long walk for the other night, Floyd-o?” His hairy ears twitched. “If you needed to take a piss, you could have done so on any of the other punks' wagons in this courtyard.”

Rainbow glanced curiously at Jake, then at Floydien.

Floydien sighed long and hard. “... ... ...it is a very stupid plan.”

“Yup,” Jake chirped.

“It would only end up in Floydien losing his head.”

“Yup yup...”

Floydien turned to glare at the moose. “Why is slobbering boomer on their side.”

“Correct me if I'm wrong, but 'their side' is your side, bucko-schmucko!” Jake grinned droolingly. “And you're not gonna exorcize any demons by just sitting on your fatass doing nothing! So how about shoveling some of your own manure for a change!”

Floydien twirled about and trotted towards him, glaring. “And what does Constable boomer plan to be doing with his fatassing of flanks? Yes yes yesss?”

“Hell, I want in on this shit!” He cackled. “I've been playing chauffeur too long! I wanna prove that I polished my antlers for something! Bust some skulls! Skulls some bust! Y'know... the works!”

“Uh uh...” Rainbow waved a forelimb. “This is not about going all Rambrony on the place!” Her eyes narrowed as her wings twitched beneath her garb. “We gotta do this as stealthily as possible! Or else Saikano might sniff us out!”

“Isn't military boomer already sniffing enough with the grabbing of his daughtering?” Floydien remarked.

“She's part of the Val Roan military police,” Rainbow explained. “She's used to moving all over the place within the city, and every deer under Saikano's command is used to it as well.” She smirked. “Trust me, it should be no big whoop that she's turning up at the Main Facility southwest of here.”

“And what of Floydien?” The elk's brow furrowed. “Isn't that enough of the big whoop whoop?”

“That's the whole point!” Rainbow grinned. “It'll throw the Val Roans off their game! Or at least the ones loyal to Fishberry!”

“Fishberry...?”

“If Fishberry and Saikano are as strongly in cahoots as we think they are, then this is going to rock their whole friggin' world.”

“Okay, so the idea is to rattle Saikano's hornet's nest and distract him...?” Jake asked.

And to get a good look at the Soul Sentries at work,” Rainbow said. “It'll be the last place they'll expect us.”

“And what of Fishberry and Sharp Quill?”

Rainbow sighed. “Sharp Quill is untouchable. Almost.”

“What do you mean, almost?

Rainbow adjusted her hood as she spoke. “Prince Eine of the House of Evo has cordially invited 'Princess' Kera to visit the Palace.”

“No shit?”

“We're sending Ebon Mane with her for protection. If they can get to Eine and fill him in on what's going on, then that can give us an edge over Sharp Quill before the Coronation even goes down.”

“Heh. That's certainly one way to rattle the Secretary. What of the Chancellor?”

“Arcanista thinks she can keep Fishberry distracted,” Rainbow said. “She's going to go pay her a visit at the High Council Building. No doubt the two have a lot of ice to break after what happened yesterday.”

“Pig blankets!” Jake grinned. “I'm digging this! It's like crawling over to their sides of the chess board and vomiting all over the table!” He turned towards Floydien. “Please tell me you're on board with this, Duke Puke!”

“Rnnnnghhh...” Floydien's ears folded back. “Floydien's going to need his antlers...”

Rainbow Dash grinned. “You can have my wings for all I care! This is the part that tips the iceberg, Floydien! All this time, the big three have had us surrounded! But not anymore!” She slapped one hoof against the other. “It's taken months, but the Noble Jury is about to give Chrysalis the big squeeze. I'm willing to bet that whatever my friends find up in the Lemuel Tundra will be the cherry on top!”

“Floydien has only one question.” His eyes narrowed. “Did the charcoal boomer volunteer this plan willingly?”


Midnite Bastion watched quietly from the lobby entrance.

Arcanista stood right outside. She and Ebon Mane helped Kera into an ornate stagecoach bearing the emblem of the House of Evo. Nilla trotted up, bowed before Arcanista, and followed Ebon into the carriage.

“We will be in touch soon,” Arcanista said, her voice muffled from beyond the lobby's entrance. “If you need me, send a messenger swiftly to the High Council Building. I'll have Mamunia and Jet nearby to deliver any news.”

Ebon waved, and the carriage door closed shut. A quartet of reindeer carried the vehicle off, followed by stalwart guards.

With a sigh, Arcanista turned and trotted towards the front entrance of Plaza Topaz.

Midnite Bastion fidgeted the closer that the elk came. When they were within earshot, she spoke up. “She should be fine. Assuming your concerns over the Soul Sentries are correct, you shouldn't have to worry. Those reindeer are part of the House of Evo's Royal Guard. They are not members of my father's—”

Arcanista trotted past her.

The mare blinked. Frowning, she turned around and barked, “You know, getting that from your brother is fine! I can expect it! But you and I are on the same side so at least give me an inch of respect!”

Her voice echoed across the lobby, causing several servants to glance over.

Arcanista froze in place. She turned around with an icy frown, slowly making her way back towards the mare. Once the Duchess was within hissing distance, she leered over the little pony. “We are both on the Noble Jury's side. That much I will agree on. Because of that, I am willing to overlook just how much I disapprove of this risky plan of yours. But don't pretend to tell me that we are on the same side.” Her voice took on an icy tone. “You stopped being on the House of Sehlp's side long ago.”

“Why?” Midnite frowned. “Because Floyd went nutso and pissed off the wrong deer?!” She stomped her hoof down. “Look, Duchess, I may not be a perfect mare, but the only mistake I ever made with your brother was falling in love with him. More times than I can even count, I warned him that our relationship was only bad news! The way my father felt... the way you felt...” Her nostrils flared. “He simply didn't now when to quit.”

“And your only solution was to fake your own death?” Arcanista's brow furrowed. “Did you not think that would drive him beyond the brink of sanity?”

Midnite sighed. “It wasn't my idea, Arcanista. You have to understand. My father—”

“The way I see it, General Saikano adopted a weapon,” Arcanista sneered. “And the moment Floyd wandered into its sights, I lost a brother forever. And now we're following through with a plan that involves using him as a pathetic prop.” Her nostrils flared as she took a few backsteps. “I'm only agreeing to this because Rainbow Dash has faith in you. It seems like a desperate faith to me, but her courageous zeal has yet to let me down. When this is over and Val Roa is saved, I want nothing more to do with you, and I hope Floyd doesn't either.”

“What Floyd wants or doesn't want is up to him, Duchess.”

“Do not presume to know what his true intentions are, Midnite. You do not get that luxury. Not anymore.”

“Somehow I don't think you know him any better than I do, Arcanista.” Midnite glared, though—from an angle—it looked like a smirk. “So who's the real stranger here?”

Arcanista blanched. With a heavy breath, she twirled around and trotted hurriedly away. Her cloven hooves made cold claps against the lobby's marble floor.

Seething, Midnite turned around. She shivered slightly, then rested her forehead against the wall with a grumbling sigh. “Dammit... dammit to Hell...” She gnashed her teeth, clenching her eyes shut for a few seconds, then trotted off in the opposite direction from the Duchess.

PreviousChapters Next