• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Who Cares What Myth Buckers Say(?)

“Just tell me one thing, you walking can of horse excrement,” Haman spat, dangling Jex by his scrawny neck. “Did the Lounge send you? Because if the lizards are already double-crossing me, then this country will be bathed in blood so thick that...”

Haman continued his threatening speech, or so Roarke assumed. She didn't really know. The metal mare was too busy observing the situation around her, the dozens of goblins training their weapons on her battle-scarred armor, the scarce amount of space afforded by the top deck of the lurching battleship.

Roarke felt the weight of the final rocket inside its armored chamber along her fetlock's outer plate. She wasn't too far away from the middlemost propeller situated along the vessel's starboard side. A well-placed shot could knock the vessel off-balance, but not destroy it. If nothing else, it'd give her the opportunity to slay five... maybe six imps. But she was still dealing with an entire crew that knew where she was and already had their weapons trained. No matter how she shook it, she was looking at a situation where she would probably slice her way through no more than ten bodies before the minions finally ate through her remaining armor with bullets and flame.

There was only one possible way to take out the ship. She'd fire the rocket close to Haman. It most likely wouldn't even kill the fat goblin, but his subordinates would surely run to his defense. That'd give her the window she needed to dash down to the lower decks and fight her way to the engine room. Once there, she'd have no way of fighting her way out, because the security on the top deck would have closed her in. She'd be able to take out the skystone core—probably—but it would be a one way trip. The resulting mana cascade from a direct strike to the core would take her out, along with the ship, Jex, and every imp on board.

Surely, it would take the heat off of Val Roa, but there would still be one battleship left in the northern skies. And though that last vessel wouldn't possess any of the Lounge's skystone, it would nevertheless present a formidable threat to the Noble Jury within the next thirty-six hours. Whether Roarke fought tooth and hoof or not, this situation was still dire. Her friends were still outnumbered. Rainbow Dash still would be biting off more than she could chew—

“...are you even listening to me?!” Haman spat, his brow furrowing slimily. “Who even sent you on this suicide mission?!”

Roarke's copper lenses retracted beneath her helmet. She exhaled, and at last her voice crackled through the speakers: “Suicide mission...?

The goblins stared back at her. Jex's body twitched, convulsed, and was still.

Roarke was already twisting her hoof in a specific pattern from within her suit. “Pitiful goblins and their one-track mind.” She cocked her head to the side. “Do you know what they call me out west?

“Ancient history?” Haman said. Several of the nearby goblins chuckled down their iron sights.

“'Roarke Most Rare,'” the metal mare said. “And I intend to live up to that title.” She jerked her hoof one last time with an internal clicking sound. “So long.” CL-CL-CLANK! One by one, her armored plates flew off, hydraulic cables flailing. Her body vented steam in every direction, the steam plugs billowing with thick haze.

Haman's jaw widened. He shouted above the tumult.

Goblins fired madly into the fresh cloud, but there was no sign of Roarke anymore. Some of the bullets ricocheted off the bulkheads, ripping through shrieking imps' legs and shoulders. Within the next blink, a dark brown figure came launching out of the fog. Swoooosh! Roarke sailed forward, naked save for her eye-lenses and two forward leg braces.

Haman's eyes reflected her incoming dive.

Roarke flew—and sailed past him. CL-CLANK! She knocked into his limb with such force that the fat goblin's mech suit dropped Jex altogether.

Gasping, the obese goblin turned to see where she landed.

Roarke rolled across the top deck of the battleship, skidding to a stop behind a stack of crates with Jex in her grasp.

“Turn them to hash!” Haman hollered.

By the end of his exclamation, the phalanx of goblin riflers had already spun and begun firing. The air around the crates heated as the projectiles chipped the containers down inch by inch.

“Hrkkk... guh... hckkkt...” Jex sputtered for breath. His one good hand suddenly grasped a long shard of skystone from the other ship. “Huh?” he wheezed.

“Hold onto this,” Roarke said, setting a grappling hook with her hoof.

“Hold onto...” Jex's bloodshot eyes squinted at her. “...why?” Th-thap! He gasped as he was hoisted by his vest in Roarke's jaws. The metal mare galloped straight for the port side edge of the vessel. “Wait! Wait! NoNoNoNo—Don't!

But Roarke was already leaping off the vessel, throwing their conjoined bodies as far out into the open air as possible. Bullets whizzed past them, some even shredding through Roarke's scarlet mane. The mare exhaled. As she descended, she twisted her body, hoisting Jex's screaming figure along with her. She plummeted backwards, her copper lenses focusing on the looming battleship above. Aiming one forelimb, she fired a grappling hook at its steel underbelly.

Thwissssssssh—CLANK!

The barb embedded deep into the aircraft. Roarke swung at the full length of her cable—which honestly wasn't very far. She twirled her body around, spreading her legs to gain as much friction against the air as possible. At the end of her swing, she teetered, then swung back, slowed by her body's expert movements. Then, when she and the goblin in her grasp limply dangled from the undercarriage of the battleship, she detached the cable entirely. The two fell like a large stone, plummeting hundreds of feet into the arid mountaintops below.

“What... wh-what are you doing?!” Jex hollered.

“Choosing another option,” Roarke grunted against the billowing wind.

“Are you kidding?!” Jex yelped. “We're going to die! This is so stupid!”

“I know.” Roarke pivoted until she faced the earth screaming at them from below. “Trying on a new color.” With that, she stretched her fetlock straight forward, waited a few seconds, twisted her hoof, and fired the last rocket.

Pftiffffft! The projectile flew ahead of them, disappearing into the brown miasma below.

“Ponnyyyyyy—” Jex wheezed.

“Loosen your limbs.”

“You've gotta be kiddin—”

“Go limp!” And Roarke spun the two around, hugging Jex while her spine faced the earth below.

Jex clenched his eyes shut, burying his face in her fur.

Then...

Ka-POWWW!

A mountaintop beneath them exploded. Dirt and sediment flew up, as did a vaporous cloud of compressed air.

Roarke and Jex's body met the blast wave, slowing their descent ever so slightly. Seconds later, the debris hit, enshrouding them like a plush cushion of heated sand. The two split up, lost in the mess of rubble and dirt.


High above, Haman and the other goblins watched as the mountaintop beneath them exploded, billowed loose rock, then settled with a rough landslide of dust and ash.

The imps scratched their heads, glancing curiously at one another.

At last, several sets of eyes landed on the Cartel's boss.

“Hmmm...” Haman took a deep breath, leaning back in his mech suit. “It's a shame. I truly was hungry.” He inhaled from a nozzle of steam and exhaled billowing fumes. “We've had a shitty setback... but it's nothing compared to what we're going to put those deer through.” He pivoted on clanking limbs and gestured with his fat, flabby arm. “Full speed to the rendezvous point! Once Val Roa is ground to dust, we'll claim all the outlying provinces. Next... the dirty naga.”

Several of the imps shouted and waved their weapons in furious cheer. They rushed to their stations while the battleship churned its way north on heavy propellers.


The vessel roared off over the mountaintops, leaving the debris of its sister ship behind, along with the imploded remnants of a blasted mountain top.

A full minute or two later, a goblin poked out of the fine ash that had slid down part of the north face of the summit. Jex sputtered for breath, his face and neck bleeding in several places. Wincing, he swam his way out of the soft sand with one good arm—still gripping to the glowing skystone. At last, he pulled himself out onto dry ground. He lay against the sloped earth, panting for breath while streams of loose dirt and sand rolled past his figure.

“... … …?”

Jex glanced aside. He saw a metal hoof sticking out of the landslide several yards away.

Hobbling, he crawled and shimmied his way through the mess. Finally, he reached the limb and pulled on it, struggling to grip tightly with his one good hand. At last, he pulled enough of Roarke out of the mess so that her muzzle stuck out, along with her thoroughly scuffed copper lenses.

“Pony... stupid pony...” Jex sneered. “Do you realize how close you came to killing us?!” He gritted his teeth. “To killing me?!

Silence.

“Pony...?”

More silence.

“Are you alive, pony?”

Roarke did not move.

Squinting, Jex reached over with his one hand. His fingers flexed, unflexed, then reached for the strip of copper lying over her eyesockets.

“... … ...don't even think about it,” Roarke's lips slurred.

Jex leaned back, wincing. He held the skystone to his chest, staring north at the retreating battleship with a shuddering breath. “Well... shit.”

PreviousChapters Next