• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Always Taking a Leap of Faith

Rainbow Dash blinked.

She was standing, her forelimbs pressed to an empty gold pedestal in the center of a dimly lit room of metal. All around her, the eight entrances of the Tower opened to crashing waves of seawater beneath a tempestuous night's sky. Out one entrance—directly across the pedestal from her—Yaerfaerda loomed, but it was different than before.

Rainbow had to squint.

Yaerfaerda now resembled a tiny speck. What's more, the distant beacon was pure white. All the lavender was gone.

She was so fixated on this that she didn't notice what was happening to her surroundings until somepony alerted her.

“Rainbow! Look!”

Rainbow gasped, spinning about.

All around her, ruby light was funneling through the grooves between each gold plate, illuminating the ancient metal from within. A loud groan issued through the structure, and soon every gear, pulley, lever, and cog inside the place came to life. What's more, Rainbow felt gravity shifting, and soon water splashed wildly past the gaping entrances on all sides.

“It's sinking! Rainbow, we have to get out of here!”

Panting, Rainbow galloped ahead, having to duck in order to narrowly avoid pendulums swinging past her skull. The deep bass salvos of the tower had been utterly replaced with a dull hum, but it didn't matter for long. Soon everything was completely replaced with the penetrating roar of rushing water. It had risen high enough for Rainbow's hooves to splash through by the time she reached the end of one of the entrances.

She teetered on the edge, gasping as she stared straight down. The tower descended swiftly, its support structures vanishing, and soon the fountaining seawater would be up to her knees. Nothing but turbulent seas surrounded her. The electrical bolts left the metallic surface of the tower completely, filling the clouds overhead so that they brimmed with constant lightning. The hellish ocean's surface glowed with a sheen of reflective ruby light.

Out of options, Rainbow stared down into the churning waves. She gnashed her teeth, trembled, yet prepared for the inevitable dive—

“Rainbow, are you crazy?! You'll drown!”

The pegasus' eyes twitched. She jerked back, trembling.

“You have to fly, Rainbow!”

“But...” Rainbow whimpered, muscles spasming as her tail dipped into the rising waters. “But I-I can't...”

“There's no time! Now fly!”

Water lapped at the edges of Rainbow's feathers. Growling, she lunged forward, flapping her wings...

PreviousChapters Next