• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
You Need Ponies For a Conga

For hours and hours, Rainbow Dash crawled from one wooden log to the next, carefully tying the warped pieces of the raft together with whatever scant length of rope or twine that she could find. This proved to be a supremely difficult task, especially with how bulky and cumbersome the pegasus' hatchet was in her teethed grip. Nevertheless, she refused to stop. Staying still meant feeling hungry, and feeling hungry meant acknowledging her situation, and acknowledging her situation meant collapsing into despair.

Nevertheless, after a great deal of labor and strain, she had no choice but to rest. Rainbow Dash plopped down, legs limp and folded beneath her heaving body. She slid the hatchet back into her satchel, then lay her head on the sturdier half of the raft, gazing weakly out at the placid waters of the dead ocean. Her vision fogged, and she had to blink several times in order to maintain focus.

It felt as though someone was dragging a serrated blade across the middle of her gut. She held a hoof over her fuzzy tummy, wincing as the waves of pain rolled through her hard and harder. Her body was too weak to even manage a hungry growl. Her tongue swished around in her mouth, a dry piece of meat that suddenly felt very... very succulent.

Rainbow sniffled. She gazed woefully at the lengths of lumber still waiting to be fastened together. As weak as she was—if she didn't attempt to mend the damage the mast had done—there was no telling how quickly the vessel might fall apart and sink like a dead weight. However, the task was proving far too taxing with her hatchet, so Rainbow Dash considered an alternative.

Reaching into her saddlebag was a painful gesture in and of itself. With her lean-to mostly demolished, there was next to nothing to give the pony shade, and her body had been thoroughly baked by the hot sun. Nevertheless, she reached into Luna's satchel, fished around, and finally pulled out what she was looking for. However, when she had the Dagger of Evo in her grasp, she stopped moving altogether, instead choosing to stare at the intricate weapon.

Antler motifs swirled around the Val Roan royal crest. The sheathe glistened in the hot sun, completely unblemished despite its centuries of antiquity. Beads of sweat ran down Rainbow's hoof and rolled across the immaculate metal.

Rainbow bit her chapped lip. In a calm breath, she unsheathed the thing. Razor-sharp metal lit the air, glinting brighter than the exterior had just moments ago. Rainbow raised the thing to eye level. She turned the blade over, examining its pointed tip and supple “teeth.” Every tiny notch was perfectly engineered. There was no doubt the thing could cut through bone if it needed to.

The mare clenched her teeth. Seconds passed... minutes... and still she held the thing at face level. A bloodshot pair of ruby eyes reflected off the blade, framed by bruised, sunburnt flesh and fuzz. Her heart beat slowly, lazily, growing slower and calmer. Then—with a sour gulp in her throat—she tilted the blade down... closer to the nape of her neck.

In a scarlet flash, the dagger reflected the Element of Loyalty.

Rainbow's ears drooped. She blew out her nostrils and shut her eyes. Her body shook... shivered... and within seconds she heard the metal scrape from sheathing the dagger back safe, secure. It was then that she collapsed, quivering all over. It was the closest she could come to crying, now that her dehydrated body had been long robbed of tears.

There was a flash of lavender, streaking.

The mare opened her eyes with a gasp. She rolled over, gazing east. Her jaw dropped.

Yaerfaerda lingered—of course. It always loomed due east. Only... this time... there was something different. Something that hovered between Rainbow Dash and her elusive destination. The oceanfront of the Grand Choke—usually a bright and desolate splotch of water—was suddenly marred by a dark grayness that hovered perpetually between the sea and the sky. Rainbow Dash spotted thick clouds, swirling eddies, and a thick, dismal haze.

The longer Rainbow stared, the more she felt the waters around her rocking and undulating. The raft began rising and falling in gentle, persistent motions. A swiftly rising turbulence rose through the sea from all angles. A storm was on the horizon, wild and rampaging, and it was approaching rapidly.

“Hrmmmf... heh...” Rainbow blew out her burnt lips, forming the tiniest of smirks. She threw the Dagger of Evo into Luna's satchel with finality. “That's more like it...”

PreviousChapters Next