• Published 23rd Apr 2014
  • 3,313 Views, 50 Comments

Of Scales and Buttons - Excy



Spike and Button Mash fight for Sweetie Belle.

  • ...
21
 50
 3,313

Young Love

"I'm going to Sweet Apple Acres. I'll be back soon!" Sweetie yelled to her sister, Rarity, who was working harder than ever in her sewing room.

"Okay, just please be safe. Oh! And be home before dark." Rarity said in a dull tone.

"Okay!" She yelled back before slamming the door.

Sweetie Belle skipped through town onher way to Sweet Apple Acres. While on her way, she thought about stopping by to heck to see if Spike was awake. She turned around and skipped towards the library.

"Oh, Spike."

Sweetie Belle has had a longtime crush on Spike, ever since she got her Cutie Mark, he's been the apple of her eye, but he seems to not have noticed her love for him. Sweetie went to the side of the library to see if anypony was up.

"It doesn't seem like it. Oh, wait!"

Spike walked out of the kitchen and sat on the couch with a plate of toast, while in his other hand, milk. He took the televeision remote and turned on the T.V.

"Oh Spike. You're so adorable." She said to herself. Beofre she could embaress herself, she stood back up and made her way back to Sweet Apple Acres.

---
Button Mash watched from his window. The sight of his love, fawning over another, made him sad.

"Why won't she notice me? We have all the same classes and everything? There has got to be some reason!"

"Maybe it's because you talk to yourself often." His mother said from the doorway, holding a basket of laundry.

"Thanks for that, Mom."

"Hey, it's true!"

"N-no it's not."

"Then explain what you were just doing then?"

"I was uhh... I... w-was thinking out loud! Yeah, that's it!

"Whatever you say, kiddo." His mother put the basket on the floor and rubbed his head and left. Button went back to his window and watched Sweetie trot away towards Sweet Apple Acres.

"Oh Sweetie, one day. Hopefully." He said to himself as he went back to his video game.

***
"Ahhh. What a nice morning." Spike said to himself. "Thank Celestia I have today off."

Spike walked into the kitchen and opened a cabinet and grabbed a plate. He put it on the counter and put two slices of bread into the toaster. He pulled out the butter from the refridgerator and place it on the counter. He looked out the window and say Rarity next-door, making dresses as usual.

"Oh Rarity, if only you knew how I felt about you." He said outloud. He noticed Sweetie Belle leaving the boutique.

"Oh boy, better lock the doors. It's starting early today." He said to himself. He didn't want an accident like the last time he left the doors unlocked. Spike heard his toast pop from the toaster. He ran back to the kitchen, buttered his toast, poured himself some milk, and walked out to the living room and sat on the couch. In the corner of his eye, he thought he say a white thing in the corner of the window. When he looked back though, he saw nothing.

"Oh well." He sat down and began to eat his toast while watchig some television.

Spike was feeling rather confident in himself at the moment. He noticed out the window Rarity had stopped sewing and was enjoying a sandwich.

"Today's the day I finally do it."

In his bedroom, Button Mash notices Sweetie Belle is finally almost out of his view.

"Today's the day. I have a good feeling I could ask her to hang out."

While skipping down the street, Sweetie Belle looked back at the Golden Oaks Library and smirked.

"Get ready, Spike. You've got a new girl coming your way!"
***
Later in the evening, Spike looked at himself for one final time before leaving. He plans on taking Rarity on a date to Sugarcube Corner. Even though it wasn't a fancy restaurant, or a place full of elegance, it was all Spike could come up with in such short notice. Spike adjusted his bowtie one more time before he left the bathroom and into the main room. Twilight turned from her book to find Spike gussied up in a nice suit and bowtie Rarity had made for him.

"Ooh Spike, what's got you looking fancy?"

"I'm gonna ask Rarity on a date to Sugarcube Corner! Or, try atleast, and I was wondering if I could have some bits to buy a dinner and a few things." Spike said somewhat with confidence.

"So your finally trying huh? It only took you four years to even start thinking about it. Oh well. How does 70 bits sound?"

"It sounds like a plan!" He practically yelled. He held out his claw and waited for her to give them to him.

"I'm only going to give you these if you swear you're not going to spend it on something stupid." Twilight said sternly.

"You have my word Twilight!" He said giving a salute. "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in eye!"

"Okay Spike, I trust you." She handed over the bits to Spike and he ran to the door.

"I'll be back later tonight if all goes well!" He said, slamming the door behind him.

"Good luck Spike!" She yelled.

"You're gonna need it." She said to herself, going back to her book.
***

As soon as Spike left the library, he went straight to the nearest florist, Roseluck. He made his way down to the market area (which, most markets were closed due to the time) and found that Roseluck's stand was still opened.

"Hey there, Spike. What can I get you this evening?"

"Hi Roseluck. I just need a bouquet of roses please." He asked politely.

"20 bits please. Does somepony have a date tonight?" Roseluck teased.

"I hope so. I'm gonna try and ask out Rarity tonight." He handed Roseluck 20 bits.

"Ohh. Well, good luck then, Spike. Come again."

"Thanks Roseluck. Have a good night!"

"You too."

Spike continued his trek to Rarity's boutique. He thought about if he wanted to get anything else for Rarity before he got there.

I think that roses are good enough. He thought.

Spike made it to Rarity's door about five minutes later. He stood there for a minute thinking about what he was going to say, and to muster up as much courage as he could. He thought for one more minute about it and knocked on the door.

"One minute please!" Rarity said. Hearing her voice made him feel like all of the courage he had just dissapeared. He became shaky and stared to sweat.

Courage, Spike. Have courage. He thought to himself. He felt himself gain confidence and stopped sweating. He heard hoofsteps and with one swift movement, the door flew open.

"Spike, is that you? You're not supposed to be here until morning. Is something the matter, darling?" She said curiously.

Once again, he lost all of his confidence and was at a loss of words.

"H-Hi Rarity. I-I was just wondering if you w-would like t-to come to dinner with me tonight at Sugarcube corner. Even though Sugarcube Corner isn't an elegant restauraunt, o-or super fancy, I couldn't get reservations to anywhere else a-and... yeah. Will you come to dinner with me? I even got you some flowers." He attempted to say enthusiastically, which failed.

Rarity stood there in astonishment. I knew this day would come. I just wish it wasn't today. She thought to herself. She didn't share the same feelings Spike had, and it tore her heart everyday just thinking about it. Everyday she tells herself that she'll tell him, but she knows how much that will hurt him.

"Spike... I want you to know before I answer your question, that I've kkown for a long time that you had a crush on me." She simply stated.

"Y-you have?!"

"Yes, I have. And not a day goes by that I won't think of you'" She let a single tear fall. "But Spike, I'm a very busy mare, and I just don't have time for a relationship, or for myself even. Spike, I am so deeply sorry, but I am going to have to decline your offer." She was tearing up more and she looked at Spike. She could tell she just broke his heart. She could tell that it took him all he had to do this, and she turned him down. Even though it made her feel bad, she knew that she couldn't.

"Oh. O-okay." Was all Spike was able to say. He started to tear up. He turned to walk away, when Rarity pulled him in for a hug. This took Spike by surprise. He hugged her back, even though she was the cause of his pain.

"I'm so sorry, Spike." She said to him. Beginning to cry.

"It's okay, Rarity. Atleast you were honest."

"Thank you Spike. I just felt like you would hate me that I used you, even though it hurt me."

"I could never hate you, Rarity. Even though, you don't want to date, we still have a great friendship."

"Thank you, Spike." She said letting all of her tears go.

"I should go. Have a good night, Rarity."

"You too, Spike." She waved to him.

***
Sweetie Belle was just coming back from Sweet Apple Acres when she had saw Spike walking back to the library, crying. Seeing him cry hurt her. She walked over to Spike.

"Hey there, Spike." She called to him. No response. "Spike?" Nothing. She trotted up to Spike and tapped his shoulder.

"Spike!"

"Oh, hi Sweetie Belle. Didn't see you there."

"I did call out your name three times."

"Oh sorry, must not have heard you. I've had a bad night."

"Well, do you wanna talk about it?"

"Not really, but okay."

"You don't have to if you don't want to."

"It's fine." And Spike explained everything to her. He didn't want to cry anymore that night, but it happened anyway. He wanted to be strong but couldn't. Sweetie Belle didn't laugh at him or judge him, though. She felt bad for Spike. Seeing him upset made her upset. She's had a crush on him ever since he and Twilight moved to Ponyville. She cared deeply about Spike, so when she saw Spike crying, she was there for him.

"I just don't understand. She always has time to do stuff with the girls, but can't keep a relationship with somepony who basically works with you?" Spike was about to get to the point of yelling, but Sweetie Belle calmed him. "She knew this whole time and didn't say anything. What reason is there for her to not like me back? Am I a freak? Am I just some kid? What's wrong with me, Sweetie Belle?"

Now, Spike would never go to Sweetie Belle on relationship advice, or even just to talk to, but at the moment, he just wanted to get it out and get answers.

"Nothing is wrong with you, Spike! You are perfect just the way you are and if Rarity can't see that, then that's her fault. She's missing out on the best thing of her life. If I was her, I'd be honored to be loved by a wonderful drake like you." She caught Spike off guard. He wasn't really expecting it. Why was Sweetie Belle saying all these nice things? Did she... like him back?

"Thanks, Sweetie Belle. This was nice."

"Just remember, Spike. I'm always here for you, no matter what."

"Thanks. Hey, do you wanna hang out tomorrow?"

"I'd love too! Come by the clubhouse by 10 AM."

"Alright. That sounds good. See you tomorrow."

"You too." She said, giving him a quick peck on the cheek and running back into the boutique and shutting the door quickly. Spike just stood there with a dopey grin on his face. His face was red all around. When he came back to reality, he realized he was alone. He walked back to the library, looking forward to tomorrow.
***
Button Mash woke up from his slumber. He was extremely groggy from his late night gaming session the night prior. He sat up in his bed and licked his dry lips. He then streched out his legs and got out of bed. He made sure to make his before before his mother would come in and yell at him for not doing so. He went to the bathroom to wash up. He looked in the mirror and remember what he said to himself two days ago.

"Enough procrastinating, Button. It's time for you to go talk to her. You guys have the same classes and everything, you shouldn't have too much trouble talking to her." He said to his reflection. He puffed out his chest. "You got this, Button. Today's the day." He took a quick shower and went back to his room.

"Alright, what to wear then." He said to himself. He put on his favorite beanie, and made his way downstairs. He went to the kitchen and made himself some breakfast. He picked up a box of cereal and poured some into a bowl. He went into the fridge and took out the milk. As he was pouring the milk inside the bowl, something outside caught his attention. He directed his vision to the window and noticed Sweetie Belle skipping her way down the street.

"Oh, Sweetie Belle." He lost himself in his gaze towards her. He came back to reality when he heard milk start hitting the floor. "Oh horseapples!" He yelled as he ran to the counter to get some paper towels. He began to clean the milk from the floor and the table. He noticed that there was now too much milk for his cereal. He added some more cereal and looked at his bowl.

"Now that's a big bowl o'cereal." His mother said as she came into the kitchen.

"Sorry, I accidentally added to much milk, so then I added more cerealto fill up the milk."

"It's fine." His mother assured, making herself a smaller bowl of cereal.

They sat at the table in silence until Button Mash finished his cereal.

"Hey Mom?"

"Yes?"

Is it alright if I... ya know... go outside today?" His mother almost choked on her cereal.

"Are you serious?" She asked.

"Uh... yes?"

"You, Button Mash, the gaming freak, wants to go outside?"

"Haha, hilarious. Can I?"

"Absolutely. It's about time you go outside and breathe in real air. Maybe you will make a friend!"

"Mom stop you're making me laugh so hard." He said in a dull, sarcastic tone."

"Sorry. I just have to take a moment to process this. You can go if you want to."

Thanks Mom!" He said excitedly, running out the door.

"Wow. He's finally going outside. I have to tell Carrot." She said to herself, running upstairs to her phone.

***

Button Mash was walking down the street to the infamous Carousel Boutique, home to the famous, Rarity, and whom he was looking for, Sweetie Belle. He trotted up to the door and stood there for a second. He could feel his heartbeat beginning to race and a lump form in his throat. He was nervous. More nervous than anything. No game he has ever played has prepared him for this. Talking to a mare. He tried to regain his composure and knocked on the door.

"One second!" Yelled the fashionista. He started to become worried more.

"Hello, how may I help you today?" Rarity said, lookig down at Button.

"H-Hi. I-Is Sweetie B-Belle home?"

"Sorry, but no she's not. She left awhile ago to go to the Cutie Mark Crusaders clubhouse. If you want, I can tell her you came by?"

"Please?" He said to her.

"Alright, hun. What's your name?"

"Button Mash. Her and I go to school together."

"Oh, that's why you were somewhat familiar. I'll let her know you came by. She'll be happy to hear that."

"Why is that?" Button asked, confused.

"Oh well I shouldn't be the one to spill secrets, but she had told me once that she thought you were cute, but you were always so quiet and focused on games, that she had left you alone."

"Oh."

"Well, I'll let her know you came by."

"Okay, thank you Ms. Rarity."

"You're very welcome." She said with a smile before shitting the door. Button stood there for a second to think about what he was going to do next.

"I guess I should just go home then." He said sadly. He began to walk back to his home. While on his way back, he saw the CMC clubhouse with the Crusaders themselves. He also noticed that a familiar purple dragon was with them. The drake sat next to Sweetie Belle and Sweetie laid her head on his shoulder. When he arrived at his home, he didn't go back inside and make his mother dissapointed by coming back so soon. He sat on the stairsteps and just watched the ponies of Ponyville walk and live their lives happily.

***

It was just peeking over 3 P.M., and Button was still on his stairs, JoyBoy in hand. He was still upset with how his day had been. Wasted. He continued when...

"Hey Button." Button Mash looked up from his Joyboy and saw Sweetie Belle in front of him. Immediately, he began to blush and his heartbeat sped up.

"H-Hi." Was all he was able to spit out.

"My sister told me that a little while ago you came over to the Boutique looking for me. Was there something you needed?" She asked, with a slight tone of confusion in her voice. That was when Button began to panic. He felt as though he was about to vomit.

No. He can't do that.

"Well. I-I was wondering if you wanted to, ya know, hang out sometime. Maybe get some milkshakes from Sugarcube Corner. Whattaya say?" He said, woth a hit of confidence in his voice.

"That sounds great, Button." Sweetie said wi th a wide smile forming across her face.

"Cool. Let's go then." He said, getting up and beginning to walk with her.

Once they were there, they walked inside and looked around.

"Where should we sit?" Asled Sweetie Belle.

"Hmm. That booth over there looks good." Button Mash pointed out.

"That looks great!" Sweetie Belle said excitedly, grabbing Button Mash's hoof and running over to it. They say down and waited for a waiter to come over.

"So Button, what made you want to come and ask me to come with you to Sugarcube Corner? I mean, it's very nice of you, but, you're always so quiet in class, and never really talked to anypony. Why me out of anyone in our class? Why now?"

Now Button was really beginning to panic. She was just piling questions onto him. She put alot of pressure onto him. He didn't know what to say. Might as well just tell the truth.

"Well, even though I'm always quiet in class, and basically a social outcast, I always thought you were..."

"Thought I was what?"

"I always thought you were..." Mumbling the rest.

"Sorry, didn't quite catch that last part."

"I always though you were... cute."

Sweetie Belle's jaw dropped as she heard that. The young colt she crushed on long ago, returned the feeling.

"Really? You think I'm cute?" She blushed.

"Y-Yeah. I think you're beautiful. You're sweet and caring, and... yeah." He finished, scratching the back of his head. If Sweetie Belle thought she was blushing then, then she wasn't prepared for what she just heard.

"Wow. Thanks, Button. I think you're cute too." She said with a smile.

"Thanks, Sweetie." They sat in silence for no longerthan two seconds before Pinkie Pie finally arrived to cater them.

"Hiya! Welcome to Sugarcube Corner! How can I help you today?" Pinkie said in a very enthusiastic way.

"Hi Pinks. I'll have a chocolate milkshake with a chocolate cupcake please." She told Pinkie.

"Okie Dokie Lokie, and what will you be having today sir?" She looked at Button.

"Umm... I'll have what she's having." He said quietly.

"Okie Dokie! I'll have your order out shortly!" She said before dissapearing, just to reappear, just seconds later with their order. Button Mash looked in astonishment as she handed him his milkshake and cupcake.

"Enjoy you two!" Dissappearing once more.

"How did she do that?!" He asked, panicked.

"Nopony really knows. It just happens and we accept it."

"Okay then..." He said.

They sat for awhile, enjoying their shakes and cupcakes. they talked and laughed and had fun. It made Button feel good. Eventually, they left and began to walk around Ponyville. Later in the evening, they ended up at the door of the boutique.

"Thank you for taking me out today, Button. It was really fun." She thanked him.

"No problem, Sweetie. I had alot of fun too." He assured her. "We should do this again sometime."

"Sure. You can come to the clubhouse tomorrow around noon."

"Sounds good."

"Great! See ya then!" She gave him a tight hug and nuzzled her head into his shoulder. When she let go, she waved to him and ran inside. It took everything inside Button to not faint right then and there. He began to walk back to his home.

***
Back at the library, Spike sat in the window of the library and watched everything that happened in front of the boutique.

"Hmm."
***
The next day, Sweetie Belle woke up quite early. She had to get ready to spend the day with Button Mash.

Wait a minute. Didn't I promise Spike that me and him were gonna han out today? Sweetie Belle thought. Shoot.

An hour passed as Sweetie Belle paced around her room, pondering the thought of who to hang out with. On one hand, she really liked Spike, and she had finally got him around her finger, but on the other hand, Button Mash proved to her that he has what it takes to be her guy. She stopped her tracks. She knew who she could go to.

"Rarity!" Sweetie Belle called to her sister. Sweetie ran across the hall to her sister's room to find her in the bathroom, doing her hair.

"Rarity, I need your help."

"Does it involve the other crusaders?"

"No."

"Does it involve any cooking?"

"Nope."

"Alright then, what is it."

"Well, you see sis, I'm having boy troubles." Rarity's eyes went wide as she heard that. She became nervous, yet excited all at once. She put the curler down and walked her sister to her bed.

"Ooh this is great! My little sister is finally growing up! This is great!" Rarity pranced around her room in excitement.

"Sis, this is serious! I need your help."

"Oh yes, right. Well, what's the problem? Can't catch a colt's eye?"

"No. Actually, quite the opposite. I like two boy's and they both like me and I can't decide on one."

Rarity looked at her sister in amazment. Her younger sister has two colts she can't decide on. This is every mares dream.

"I see. Who are the two young stallions?"

"Well, one "stallion" and on dragon. It's Button Mash from class, and Spike."

"Well, they are both very nice young boys. I'm sure you can decide, hut heed my words little sister."

"Yeah sis?" Rarity got very close to her sister's ear and whispered ever so tenderly:

"Make me proud!"

"Okay sis, I'll try!" Sweetie yelled runnnin out the door.

"Oh l, and one more thing! Don't lead anypony on. It will hurt them if you do! Be ever-so fragile with their hearts!"

"I will!" Sweetie shit the door behind her, leaving Rarity in the doorway with a big smile on he face.

"Ahh yes. Young love."
***
Sweetie Belle walked through the town on her way to her choice. She decided once and for all what her choice was. She knocked on the library door.

"Mor-Sweetie Belle? What are you doing here so early?" Spike said, hiding a blush.

"Morning Spike. Meet me at the treehouse at one." She gave him a kiss on the cheek and left quickly.

"O-Okay." He said, dumbfounded.

"Alright, on to Button's house." She mumbled to herself.

Sweetie Belle arrived at Button Mash's home and kncoked on the door.

"I'll get it!" She heard Button yell.

"Hey Sw-" She cut him off.

"Meet me at the treehouse at one. It's important." She said, giving him a quick peck on the cheek. She turned around swiftly and left to meet the girls.

"Uhh... okay."
***
At the treehouse, she sat there, awaiting the girls.

"Where are they?"

"Right here." Scootaloo said, entering the treehouse, followed by Applebloom.

"Alright. Girls, we have an issue. You know how I've been hanging out with Spike and Button Mash right? Well, I can't choose between them."

"I say stick with Spike. He's cool and you've known him forever." Scootaloo said straight out.

"But Scoots, that's not right. I can't just leave Button out like that! Same goes vice versa." Sweetie Belle said sternly.

"Hey, you asked for my advice."

"Well I think that ya should do whatever you think is right, even if it's choosing one over the other." Applebloom said calmly.

"Thanks Applebloom." Sweetie hugged her.

"Hey, what about me? Applebloom said basically the same thing as me, except without names!"

"Heh yeah. Thank you too, Scoots."

"No prob."

Just then, they heard a knock, followed by chatter.

"What are you doing here?" Sweetie heard Button Mash say.

"I'm coming to see Sweetie Belle, you?"

"I was actually also coming to see Sweetie as well."

"Oh, okay then." Spike said blandly. He was getting curious.

"Come in boys!" Sweetie said. Both, Spike and Button Mash, walked in and sat beside Sweetie Belle, leaving in the middle of the boys. The room stayed quiet for several seconds, until,

"Ahem." Scootaloo said, breaking the silence.

"Well boys, I have something to say. I have been secretly seeing the other behind your backs."

"I already knew, and I know that you brought both of us here to make your choice." Spike said straight out, leaving Sweetie dumbfounded. Button Mash on the other hand, was appauled at Sweetie.

"Smart dragon." Scootaloo laughed.

"So what's it gonna be, Sweetie?" The boys said in unison. Sweetie Belle knew there was no beatig around the bush and had to choose.

"Well, umm.. I choose... neither!"

"What?!" Four yells echoed throught the clubhouse.

"Y-Yeah. Neither."

"But why?" Spike spoke up.

"Because. It would be unfair if I only chose one of you. Spike, you're a super nice dragon, and I've liked you for so long. And Button Mash, you proved to me that you still cared about me after you were so quiet for so long. And that's why I can't choose."

Spike and Button Mash looked at each other and nodded. She was right. It would be unfair.

"I'm sorry. Both of you."

"It's alright." They said in unison once again.

"Cool. So do you guys want to play hide and seek?" Scootaloo said.

"Yeah!" Everyone else yelled.

Everyone ran outside and left Sweetie last out. She looked at Spike, then at Button Mash, and sighed. She felt bad at first, but she knew it was the right thing to do. She ran toward the girls and began to play.

Author's Note:

Okay, the remake is done. Enjoy.

I'm so sorry. All of you. Really, I am. I have an alternate ending I wanted. I didn't because I wanted more romantic. If you want an alternate ending, let me know. Myabe I'll add it if enough people want it.

Comments ( 50 )

Ok, for everyone disiking this, can I atleast have an explanation? Three dislikes and no comments?

4277925 I haven't read it yet, but I'm wondering who will win? I notice you're in the same group as me, so does that mean that the winner will be :moustache:?

4277939
Maybe... We'll just have to see.

4277955 I'll look at it when I'm not busy and give my opinion.

Cool story, i wonder who will win her?

Great concept! :raritywink: The amount of potential this story has is off the charts. I've actually been waiting for a Spikebelle vs. Buttonbelle story! The writing and execution could use a ton of work and improvement, however.

You get a like and fav for now... But Button will prevail!

Twilight holds a newspaper in her hoove or with her magic, not hand, but great story so far! :pinkiehappy: GO BUTTON!

4281117 thank you for sticking up for our favorite dragon

i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/593/505/b6f.png
4278041
Here's an idea, both of them. Think about it, is there any plausible reason that Sweetie Belle couldn't be in a romantic/sexual relationship with both Spike and Button Mash, who would be fully aware and agreeing? I mean, come on. It's Sweetie Belle, she has the makings of a Super Villain. I am sure she can find a way to have both.

4282602 omg lol love the picture! sooo cute!

Could use more detail but other that that it's golden.:eeyup:

Comment posted by Fire-Flare deleted Sep 12th, 2014

Hmm... When will next chapter appear?

4313617
I don't know. I haven't started, but I usually write a chapter in a night, so maybe tonight.

Have a ButtonBelle alternate ending! Maybe if you want a SpikeBelle one, but DEFINATELY a ButtonBelle alt end!

4301321 ... Seeing this comment, I am the exact opposite. I would say hash it out, but for Exiled's sake I will not.

wait so im confused does that mean that its complete? it sounds complete..:rainbowhuh:

Comment posted by Scarmiglion deleted Aug 11th, 2014

Poor Spike. Heartbroken twice in one fic.

Comment posted by Discontinued deleted Aug 8th, 2014

I say do two alternate endings. One for ButtonBelle and one for SpikeBelle. I like both shippings.

"You're very welcome." She said with a smile before shitting the door. Button stood there for a second to think about what he was going to do next.

"I will!" Sweetie shit the door behind her, leaving Rarity in the doorway with a big smile on he face.

whats with these ponies and shitting doors? The nerve of some animals:twilightangry2:

4819816
Heh, what chapters were those from?
4819812
Well, I do still have an idea for an alternate ending, but it doesnt directly lean into one ship or the other.

4819866 Can't wait to see the end result.

4819816 I sides hurts I couldn't stop laughing my sides hurt so bad best.error.ever

4819866

Heh, what chapters were those from?

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

i just noticed something... In the story fic, Sweetie Belle looks crazy, Spike looks like he's scared of her and seeming to get up and run, and Button Mash has that "check out what I did on the game" smile.

4847097
Oh my... :rainbowlaugh:

Wait a sec... Why not add the alternate ending or endings in a different chapter?

4453894

(I know this is old but)

WHY exactly do people ship Sweetie-Mash, like, exactly why is it popular BESIDE Jan Animarion's videos on it, exactly why was the shipping created? Why do people seem to ship it? Seriously, I'm the most respectful person when it comes to shipping, but seriously, just why do people ship Sweetie-Mash and why is it so popular anyways? How does it fit in with canon. How does it make sense? I like Button Mash as much as the next person, but still. Just why is it so popular? Just because of the episode "Hearts and Hooves Day" or something? All she did was sing "This one is too young" and she was looking for a colt for Miss Cheerlie anyway in that episode. Seriously, why is it the most popular mlp hetero shipping I've seen. And I get you disagree with me but that's no reason really to down-vote my comment or anything, at least give a logical reason why you ship Sweetie-Mash and why you disagree or anything.
Sorry if I sounded rude but seriously,
Just WHY does Sweetie-Mash even exist or make sense to most of it's shippers. I don't care what shippings other people like, am I not allow to express my opinion? :unsuresweetie: Feels like it.

4964156
Well... why not?:rainbowhuh:

I understand where you're coming from, and I feel it's mosly from Jan. Who knows.

4964156 I'm not going to down vote you or anything. I just think their personalities go hand-in-hand. Sweetie is outgoing, and quite attractive. She has a little bit of nerd, such as her actor Claire Corlett, and will be shy on-stage and is easily threatened.
Button Mash, the colt, is a total gamer. He's shy, and flips out over small things. However, when the going gets tough, he will stand up against it with the courage of his fantasy army! He is reliable and dependable in serious situations, and someone Sweetie can fall back on.
They master where the other lacks. I just feel the combo is impeccable, and really deserves some praise. Ps, I feel it's cooler to call it ButtonBelle, or an easy BB for short.

4965557

Well, you make points but I wouldn't say Sweetie Belle would have the same personality as her voice actress (although I quite like her voice actress like her YouTube channel for example :rainbowlaugh:) Like, look at Pinkie and Fluttershy, they're both voiced by the same person and have different personalities.
And I agree ButtonBelle is a better name. To be honest the pairing kinda grew on me slightly
(actually, my little sister is the one who wrote she hated it to be perfectly honest, she makes me look very bad on the internet or look stupid)

4984534 so this little debate was all a misunderstanding? Well that's neat. I feel they match, you may not. But whatever! This is hopefully a peaceful conversation, and not an argument. Have a follow for the good talk!

4985674

Alight then XD
I wouldn't say that was really a debate though since ButtonBelle is kinda growing on me and I'm starting to kinda like it

4282602
In that case, both Buttons and Spike shall win her and they become a three-some shipping XD

4989732 it was for / comments. Whatever!

Spike and Sweetie Belle make a better couple.

I've got an idea... If you have alternate endings with each couple it would make everyone happier!! Plus I ship ButtonBelle

4964156 It's just like how Fluttershy and Big Mac are a unbelievably popular ship, despite the fact that, up until Filli Vanilli, they have had no dialogue or interaction that we know of.

Excy, I know this is quite late (three years late), but I just discovered this in a recent SweetieMash ship fic binge. You asked why so many dislikes, so without giving it a like or a dislike, I'll try to give the best critique I can in just a few minutes... and I don't often offer criticism like this.
1. Everything feels too contrived... "blunt" and "straightforward" aren't quite the right words, but they're close. The dialogue was painfully forced, the characters' actions felt manufactured, and the pacing, while too fast, could be chalked up as just the product of an attempt at a short story (I appreciate your effort, but I've read shorter stories that felt longer because the pacing was more natural). So it seemed like you had an end in mind, and had everything happen to serve that end, even if it meant forcing unnatural moments, (such as Rarity rejecting Spike in that way, Sweetie inexplicably liking Spike with no time in the story given to show that feeling develop, Rarity just telling Button about Sweetie's crush on him, and Spike and Button both taking Sweetie's rejection in stride with just a "It's alright").
Yes, a story is supposed to be written with an end in mind, but not at the expense of good dialogue, interesting characterization, and sensible actions and reactions. Be the chronicler, not the god of the story you're writing. In other words, let your characters interact naturally with each other, the world, and the events, and your story will write itself. In other words, as the author, you are there to guide the story to its end, not force the characters to do things. In other words, you can cause events, but let the characters be themselves.... that's easier to do when the characters are well written. I just said a lot of things, but I hope at least one made sense.
2. There were spelling and grammar mistakes galore. Please please use your spellchecker at the very least, but preferably get one or two proofreaders. These people can also help you with your story, making suggestions to help improve it.

All that being said, SpikeBelle was an interesting idea, but because SweetieMash (or ButtonBelle, but that's the merch name for Suri Polomare) is more popular, it might have been better not to include Button at all. Considering how short this story was, I think your efforts would have been better spent developing the relationships between Spike, Sweetie, and Rarity. Perhaps it could have been about Spike realizing Rarity is too old for him, and developing similar feelings for Sweetie? Just a suggestion.

Overall, with the whole Spike shipping thing, I'm personally not a fan of interspecies ships, but that doesn't mean others can't enjoy such fics.

Best of luck in your future writings... If you still are writing, that is.

8086235 Thanks for the critique. This, along with a lot of my other stories, are very old and had 0 proofreading put into them. Do you have a link to the SweetieMash thing?

>>Excy, for my SwetieMash spree, I just did a search for Sweetie Belle and Button Mash, or searched SweetieMash or ButtonBelle. So I don't have a collection of stories, I just clicked titles that caught my attention... in a good way or bad. If you want, though, this group, Button Belle, has 138 stories, and this one, ButtonBelle, has 51 stories.
So far my favorite SweetieMash story is The SweetieMash Chronicles. If the ratings are anything to go by, most people agree that is the best one, and I can see why. The development feels much more natural than almost everything else I've seen written for this ship. And it is just well written, something hard to come by on FimFiction. Plus, it's risky to give names to absent, undeveloped, or otherwise unnamed characters because another author might name them something else, resulting in a conflict of what to call them, but I feel like Justice3442 did such a good job writing Button's family that his names for them will forever be in my mind: Love Tap (mom), Chip (dad), and Gibson (big brother).

why does Rarity and Sweetie Belle keep pooping out doors?!

You should continue as long as you do sweetie mash. Or you can do a scheduled vote. (I vote sweety mash)

Login or register to comment