• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 9,440 Views, 427 Comments

The Misadventures of Sunset Shimmers - Yukito



A look into the daily life of a certain high school student named Sunset Shimmer and her friends

  • ...
20
 427
 9,440

XXVIII - Epilogue 2

The streets surrounding Canterlot Private Academy for Girls was packed, and the campus was flooded with students in graduation garbs and their parents.

Sunset Shimmer posed with Lyra and Octavia as Bon Bon took a photo. "Man, can't believe I made it through all that!" Lyra said with a relieved sigh, slumping over to Bon Bon with a defeated look on her face. "But now I can't mooch off of my parents anymooooore. They want me to get a job and start paying rent!"

"You could always go to college," Bon Bon suggested.

"Ehhhh. I think I might just see if any of the bakeries around here are hiring. Though I'll have to learn how to, y'know, bake." Lyra turned and glared at Sunset Shimmer. "Of course, some people don't have to worry about their futures! You can get into any school you want, huh?"

"Hey, now," Sunset said, raising her hands. "It's not like that. I have to work hard, and there's still no guarantee that-" Sunset's phone range, startling her. "Ah, I gotta take this."

"It's fine. I need to find my parents, anyway," Octavia said, waving goodbye to the group as she left.

Lyra and Bon Bon also said their goodbyes as Sunset answered her phone. "Hello? Oh, yes, that's me! … Really?"


Twilight Velvet pointed the camera at her family, and said, "Say 'top grades'!"

The camera flashed, and Twilight moaned with embarrassment. "Muuuum! How many times are you going to make a big deal out of that?!" she asked, her face red as she looked around. Nobody around them was looking at her, yet she couldn't help but feel watched.

"Well, it's not every day that your daughter has the TOP GRADES in the her school! If I don't brag, who will?" She clicked the camera again to capture Twilight's reddened face. "The only thing your brother did that was 'top of his class' was being the only cadet to confuse a clock for a bomb."

Now it was Shining Armor's turn to blush. "I-It was deceptive from a distance!"

"Whilst he was dismantling it."

"I'm not an expert!"

"During a tracking exercise."

Shining Armor groaned, and said, "Should we really be taking the thunder away from Twilight's day right now?!"

Twilight Velvet giggled. "You're right. This is Twilight's day. Dear, can you stand aside so I can get Twilight and Shining together?"

Night Light moved aside, and Shining Armor scooted closer to his sister. As he did, she asked, "You confused a clock for a bomb?"

"The lighting was poor!"

The camera flashed, and Velvet sighed. "Now your face looks funny. Let's take it again, and no outbursts this time!"

After a few more family photos, the group heard Sunset's voice calling out to Twilight. They turned to find Sunset approaching them through the thick crowds.

"Heyyyyy!" Sunset yelled as she drew near. "We finally did it, huh?"

Twilight smiled and nodded. "Yep, we sure did!"

"Congratulations on graduating," Night Light said to Sunset.

"Thanks. Hey, would you guys mind if I talk to Twilight for a bit?"

"Of course not," Velvet said, motioning for Shining and Night Light to follow her. "We'll be at the buffet. Take all the time you need."

As Twilight's family left, Sunset suddenly felt uneasy, not sure how to break the news to her best friend. "So, uh… what're your plans from this point?"

Twilight blushed, scratching the back of her neck as she said, "I'm not really sure. I mean, I want to continue my studies, but I don't know what in. It's kind of a big decision to make, huh?" Twilight gave Sunset a curious look. "What about you? Do you know what you want to do?"

Sunset gulped, and nodded her head. "I… did some thinking, after that thing that happened with you before… I want to do something that involves helping other people. That… protects them."

Twilight tilted her head. "You mean like the FBI?"

"I'm not sure yet, but I've decided to study law so that I can follow that sort of path… There's a university that's renowned for being the best in the country, and they accepted my application."

"That's great!" Twilight exclaimed.

"… It's in another state."

"That's… less great…" Twilight's spirits dropped, and she couldn't hide her disappointment however much she tried.

"I'm sorry to spring this on you all-of-a-sudden, but-"

Twilight shook her head rapidly. "No no no! If that's what you want to do, then I'm happy for you! It's just… I didn't see it coming, that's all."

Sunset could sense how much Twilight was holding back her tears, and she reached out to hug her. "Hey, it's not like we'll never see each other again. I can come back during breaks, and I'll write to you regularly."

Twilight returned the hug, closing her eyes. "Y-Yeah, I guess…" A tense moment of silence passed between the two, before Twilight said, "You were the first friend I ever had, besides my brother. You've always been there for me and it's thanks to you I was able to talk to other people at all."

"Heh. What's with that, so suddenly?"

"I guess, I just wanna thank you, Sunny."

"… It's me who should be saying that, Twilight. Before I met you, I was lonely, and… kind of a brat." Sunset laughed at her memory of her own self. A sad, pathetic laugh. "You stayed with me, though, and you brought out the best in me. So thanks, Twilight, for never giving up on this idiot."

The two parted, tears streaming down both of their faces. They turned away to wipe the tears away, laughing at how silly they must have looked.

"I really am happy for you, Susnet," Twilight said as soon as she could see clearly again. "And I'm with you all the way. I'll miss you… but like you said, we can still write to each other, so I guess I won't be entirely alone."

Sunset smiled. "Yeah. Besides, you could use the chance to make some other friends besides me," Sunset teased, earning a playful punch from Twilight. "… Y'know, I won't be leaving for a few weeks. Maybe we could have a sleepover… or two, next week?"

"You got it," Twilight said, taking hold of Sunset's hand and turning around. "Let's go find some of our classmates. I want us to have more photos to remember our time here!"

"You want to seek out our classmates?" Sunset asked.

Twilight grinned. "What can I say? You've rubbed off on me."

And so, the two walked through the crowds, hand-in-hand, not knowing and not caring what the future would bring, simply content with knowing that they would always have each other.

The end.

Comments ( 16 )

Well, I love all of it. Great fic. Great author. Keep up the hard work.:heart:

Now kiss!

Cut! Print! That's a wrap!

I think it's time this was put on my Favourites shelf.
Great story, despite the long wait. Totally worth waiting for.
T'was a great ride, but like all great rides, they have to end eventually.
It was a blast though, I'll give you that.

Awwww! :pinkiesad2:

It'll be sad to know this story has come to an end. It was an amazing ride.

"Just" 136,675 words? Weird, usually these stories are longer.

It's a nice ending for this side. One thing though:

"I really am happy for you, Susnet," Twilight said as soon as she could see clearly again.

Who's Susnet?
:rainbowwild:

They seriously never meet? What's the point of even having the pony and human stories if they never meet.

A university that's the best in the country? Well, it certainly sounds like it can't be Canterlot University then (or else she'd have mentioned she'd be going to the local university).

7407642

The android who took Sunset's place when we all weren't looking.

CSC

Great work!!

This was a great read, went through the whole thing today. I have a few complaints, I was really hoping the climax's would intertwine, in some manner, even if only indirectly. But honestly having 2 basically separate stories tied together, with 1 theme of sorts, it feels like potential lost. That said, what it did offer was still god damn amazing, and I've got no complaints there. This was still a great story overall, And I'd love to see more from this story, on either side.

Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, BonBon, Lyre, Trixie, Derpy, Vinyl, Octavia, and Minuette

Any chance of more stories like this or of a sequel? I also liked the epilogue

This... was beautiful... even after this ended about 4 years ago, it made me feel good to read this entire story, start to finish. To be honest, Sunset (Equestrian) in this story had a good character arc, but that is just me. Other people may have second opinions about it, but in my eyes, this was good story read. Definitely one my favourite stories I (could) look up to. Even if I stayed up late to read this.

Login or register to comment