• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 9,432 Views, 427 Comments

The Misadventures of Sunset Shimmers - Yukito



A look into the daily life of a certain high school student named Sunset Shimmer and her friends

  • ...
20
 427
 9,432

XVI - The Origins of Friendship

“Hey Mum, are we there yet? Are we? Is that it? No, I guess not. Is it that building there? No? Is it-”

“Sunset, dear…” Sunset’s mother rubbed her forehead as she tried to keep her attention focussed on the road ahead of her, “You will know when we’re there because I will stop that car and get out. Until then, can’t you practice your indoors voice?”

“But you said it wasn’t far and I hate the car! You won’t let me play or read or nothing!” Sunset huffed as she slumped back into her seat.

“That’s because you either throw your toys at me or throw up when you’re reading.” Sunset’s mother slowed down for a red light and looked at her pouting daughter in the rear-view mirror. “I know, let’s play a game! Until you see a helicopter, you can only speak in Russian!”

“But I don’t know any-”

“And we start now!” Sunset closed her lips and looked outside of her window. Her mother smiled and set off as soon as the light had turned green.

“Helicopter! I win!”

Sunset’s mother gasped and looked up into the sky, to find that there was indeed a helicopter passing by above them. ‘Oh, fuck you, action news!

“So what’re the other kids like? What kind of snacks do they have there? Do you think I’ll be allowed to practice my singing? Let it gooooo, let it goooooo!”


“Hello there! You must be Sunset Shimmer!” Mrs. Mash watched as Sunset ran past her, giggling excitedly as she made her way towards where three other children were playing with building blocks. “Well, somebody’s excited for their first day.”

“Excuse me, but there are some things that I was hoping to talk to you about before leaving Sunset here…”

“Certainly. Any allergies that I should be aware of or medical conditions?”

“Oh, nothing like that. It’s just that… Sunset can be a little rough around the edges.”

Mrs. Mash giggled. “Yes, well, I’ve dealt with troubling children before.”

“She can be very loud and energetic, and she sometimes has a bit of an issue with sharing…”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“And also she doesn’t like taking naps during the day and I have to trick her into drinking some warm milk to get her to sleep, and she likes to read but I don’t want her reading too much as it may damage her eyes, she likes to climb to high places and I’m worried about her falling and hurting herself, also she sneezed in the car this morning so she may be coming down with a cold, maybe I should give you the number of her doctor just to be safe?”

“Ms. Shimmer, everything will be okay,” Mrs. Mash said. “Trust me, I’ve been a kindergarten teacher for many years now and even have my second child on the way.” The teacher patted her slightly bulging belly as she looked down with a smile.

“Oh? Congratulations! Still, I can’t help but worry… I’ve never left her alone before. Maybe I should stay a little and just make sure she’s okay?”

“Are you sure?”

“I have the day off, anyway, so it wouldn’t be cutting into any of my plans.”

“In that case, do you know anything about baking treats? I could use an extra hand in the kitchen.”

Sunset’s mother smiled and gave a nod. “If there’s one thing I know calms Sunset down, it’s my freshly-baked cookies straight from the oven!”

“Well then, so long as you don’t mind working for zero pay, I’d happily welcome your assistance.” The teacher led Sunset’s mother through the classroom where many children were running around and playing with toys… very loudly. She gave a quick look to her teenage helper, Cadance, who gave a pleading look back, and silently apologised as she left the room.


“Cadaaaaaance!” Octavia cried as she grabbed Cadance’s leg. “Lyra’s picking on meeeeee!”

“Am not!” Lyra shouted as she latched onto Cadance’s other leg. “She’s lying!”

“Girls, please.” Cadance looked around the room for a saving grace, but there was none to be found. “C-Can’t you try to get along? Please?”

“CADAAAAAAANCE!” a boy shouted from the other side of the room, followed by the loud sounds of his wailing. Cadance gulped as she trudged across the room, the two girls on her legs bickering the entire time.

“Whoa!” Cadance exclaimed as an orange blur zoomed past her. “Careful!”

Sunset Shimmer ignored the teenager as she made her way towards a couple of girls playing with toy cars and trackers. “Hey!” she greeted. “What ya doing?”

“We’re playing cars!” one of the girls answered before offering a blue car to Sunset. “Wanna play?”

“Okay!” Sunset grabbed the car and ran it across the carpet alongside the other cars. Grinning, she moved the car quickly to the side, ramming it into the red car that one of the other girls was holding, knocking it to the side. “CRASH! BOOOOOM!”

“OW!” the girl exclaimed as she pulled her hand back. “What was that for?!”

Sunset ignored the other girl and rammed the remaining car out of the third girl’s hand. Raising her arms, she proclaimed, “I WIN!”

“That hurt!”

“Why did you do that? We were just driving!”

“That’s boring!” Sunset explained. “I know, let’s play tag! C’mon!”

“We don’t want to,” one of the girls said.

“Yeah, we’re still playing cars.”

Sunset pouted. “Fine! I’ll play with someone else!” As Sunset stormed off, she looked around the room for some new children to play with. Her eyes landed on a pair of boys playing with foam swords. She grinned and rushed over to join in.

“Hya!”

“Ya!”

“Oww! You got me!” the shorter boy cried as he backed up slowly, holding his hand over an imaginary wound.

“I’ll avenge you!” Sunset cried as she jumped to the shorter boy’s side, holding out her hand. “Give me your sword, quick!”

The boy handed Sunset his sword and fell down onto his back, making gargling sounds as he ‘died’. The larger boy lunged forward and stabbed with his sword. “No girl can beat me!”

Sunset parried and swung her sword, missing before trying again. The boy blocked her attack and pushed the sword aside, causing it to slip out of Sunset Shimmer’s hand. “Ah!”

“I win!” the boy proclaimed proudly. “Surrender now and I’ll let you live!” Sunset huffed and ran forward, slapping the boy’s hand to make him drop his sword. “Ow! Hey, what’re you-”

“Ahahahahaaaah!” Sunset laughed as she pointed the boy’s sword at him. “You let your guard down!”

“You didn’t have to hit me!”

“It’s only a game,” the shorter boy said as he approached his friend’s side.

“Hmph! A game that I won!” Sunset replied with a defiant look.

“Yeah, well, we’re gonna play something else,” the larger boy said, pulling his friend aside as they walked away.

Sunset dropped the swords and started to follow them. “Boys only,” the shorter boy said.

Sunset stopped in her tracks and puffed her cheeks.


“There! Dream Castle is complete!” Lyra said as she looked over her completed model with a smile. It was a large, white castle with a swing set outside and many ponies playing and talking all around it.

Suddenly, a ship crashed into the side, knocking many of the ponies over as a swarm of bloodthirsty pirates swarmed the castle. “Yarrrrrgh! Hand over yer gold an’ no one dies!”

Lyra frowned and jumped to her feet as she glared at the girl who had ruined her perfect model. “Hey! You ruined it!” she shouted, tears forming in her eyes.

“Of course! Pirates are attacking!” Sunset replied, picking up two pirate models and having them attack a pony lying on her side. “Take that, ya scurvy scallywag!”

“Stop it!” Lyra cried as she grabbed the toys out of Sunset’s hands. “I don’t want pirates attacking! It’s Dream Castle! Bad things don’t happen there!”

“Girls, is everything okay?” Mrs. Mash asked as she walked over to the scene of the disturbance.

“Sunset ruined my castle!” Lyra shouted as she pointed a finger at the accused girl.

“No I didn’t! I was just playing!” Sunset shouted back.

“Sunset, did you ask Lyra first if you could join in?” Mrs. Mash asked. Sunset remained silent and shifted her eyes to the side. “Perhaps you should apologise to Lyra, Sunset Shimmer?”

“Why?” Sunset asked as she crossed her arms. “It’s not like they’re her toys.”

“And I will talk to Lyra about sharing, but you were at fault too, and you should apologise to make amends.”

Sunset’s hands shook as she fought back the tears forming in her eyes. Finally, she sprinted as fast as she could across the classroom, running past her mother as she left the room and rounded a corner.

Sunset’s mother told the teacher that she would go after her daughter, and Mrs. Mash simply nodded as she stayed to deal with Lyra.


Sunset’s mother found her daughter sitting in the middle of the hallway, her face buried in her knees as she sobbed quietly. With a sigh, she sat down beside her daughter and gently lay a hand on Sunset’s.

She waited in silence for a few minutes until Sunset had finally calmed down. “Sunset, do you want to talk about what happened in there?”

“… No.”

“Do you know why what you did was wrong?”

“I was just trying to play.”

“I know that, but that girl put a lot of work into that castle and then you ruined it. How would you have felt if it was the other way around?”

“…”

Sunset’s mother scratched her head as she tried to think about what else she could say to help her daughter understand. “Sunset, sometimes you… you don’t fully think about your actions, and sometimes, you can hurt people without meaning to. It doesn’t mean that you’re a bad girl, it just means that you need to take more care with how you play with the other children.”

“None of them wanted to play with me.” Sunset turned her head so that she was facing away from her mother. “… Can we go home?”

Sunset’s mother sighed. “No, Sunny. I can’t just take you home because you’re upset.” Though having said that, Sunset’s mother felt bad seeing her daughter so sad right before her eyes. “… Okay, how about this: you can spend the rest of the day with me helping Mrs. Mash, and then tomorrow, you try to make some friends, but this time try not to be so… aggressive. A fresh start. Is that okay?”

A few moments passed before Sunset slowly raised her head and nodded. Her mother smiled a stoked her hair before the two of them stood up. Sunset held her mother’s hand as the two of them walked back together towards the classroom.


One week had passed since Sunset’s first day. “You’re not staying today?” Sunset asked, tightening her grip on her mother’s hand.

“Sorry Sunny, but Mummy’s got to work today,” her mother explained as she crouched down, stroking her daughter’s hair with one hand and pulling the other hand until it broke free of Sunset’s grasp. “Besides, you can’t spend every day around me. You have to make some friends.”

Sunset crossed her arms and pouted. “None of the other kids wanna play with me.”

“I know it’s tough, but you just have to try.” Sunset’s mother checked her watch and gasped. “I really have to get going. Can you be brave for me, sweetie?”

“… Okay.” Sunset squirmed as her mother kissed her cheek and then watched with a sad look as her mother left. For several moments she didn’t move. She simply stared at the huge door that had separated her from her mother and wondered how long seven hours was.

“Good morning, Sunset,” Mrs. Mash greeted as she approached the little girl. “You shouldn’t stand in the way of the door, sweetie.” Mrs. Mash kneeled down and helped Sunset take off her coat, before standing back up again and taking the girl’s hand. “Would you like to put your bag with the rest?” Sunset simply nodded, not saying a word. “Come along then.”

As Sunset followed Mrs. Mash into the playroom, she noticed all of the children playing and doing their own things. Some were playing with blocks, some were completing a jigsaw, and some were making a mess with the Play-Doh. Many of them eyed Sunset cautiously as she passed by them.

There was one girl that Sunset didn’t recognise, sitting by herself in a quiet corner and reading a book. Mrs. Mash caught Sunset looking at the new girl and said, “That’s our new friend, Twilight Sparkle. She wasn’t feeling well last week so she hasn’t had the chance to get to know everybody. Maybe you could go and say ‘hello’ to her?”

Sunset Shimmer placed her bag down with the other students’ whilst Mrs. Mash hung her coat onto a peg. “Today the entire class will be working on a goodbye card for Miss Cadenza. She’s leaving us today, so we’re going to wish her luck and throw her a big party.” Mrs. Mash smiled and leaned down to whisper, “Don’t tell her, though. It’s going to be a surprise.”

Sunset nodded and returned the smiled. The idea of a party heightened her spirits, though when she looked back towards the other children she remembered that she had no one to enjoy it with. No one… except for maybe the new girl. Without a second thought, Sunset ran across the room towards Twilight Sparkle, jumping over and swerving around the other children in her path.

“I said no running indoors!” Cadance shouted, knowing that her words would fall on deaf ears but still trying regardless.

Sunset Shimmer stopped in front of Twilight and gave her biggest smile. The other girl didn’t seem to notice though, her attention reserved for the large book in front of her instead. “A-hem!” Sunset pretended to clear her throat to get Twilight’s attention, but the bookworm simply turned a page in her book and continued reading. “A-HEM!”

“Huh?” Finally, Twilight lowered her book and stared silently into Sunset’s big, wide eyes as the flame-haired girl smiled back with her arms folded. “Uh… can I help you?” Twilight asked after a long moment of silence between the two, bringing her book closer towards herself to hide half of her face behind it.

“Oh, no, but maybe I can help you,” Sunset replied. “I saw you sitting here all by yourself and thought I’d come and let you play with me.”

Twilight’s eyes shifted to the side. “I don’t… I just want to read.”

“That’s fine, you can read,” Sunset said, “While you hide from me!”

Twilight turned her confused eyes back to Sunset. “Huh?”

Sunset rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Hide-and-seek, duh! You hide, I count to one-hundred, then I try to find you!”

Twilight shifted about in her spot for a few seconds before looking around the room. “A-Are you sure you want to play with me? There are other kids here that you can-”

“One! Two! Three!” Sunset Shimmer covered her eyes with her hands as she started counting out loud. “Four! Five! Uh…”

“Six,” Twilight helped.

“Hey, you’re supposed to be hiding!” Twilight jumped and quickly scrambled to her feet, running across the room and away from Sunset Shimmer. “Eleven! Twenty!” Sunset took a second to figure out what number came next. “Ready or not, here I come!”

Sunset Shimmer ran all over the room, searching every potential hiding place that she could think of. Under the tables, behind the coats, in the toy cupboards, but Twilight Sparkle was nowhere to be found.

“Okay children, it’s reading time!” Cadance called out as she approached the ‘reading corner’ with the day’s book of choice. “Everybody gather round and sit quietly so we can all hear.”

Sunset frowned as she kicked the small block tower standing beside her, knocking it down in the process. ‘She ran away from me,’ she concluded, tears welling in the young girl’s eyes. ‘I just wanted to play… Why does no one want to be my friend?

“Sunset, have you seen Twilight around?” Cadance asked as she approached the girl. “I saw you two talking earlier, but she hasn’t seemed to have turned up yet.”

Sunset Shimmer pouted and turned her head away with a huff. “I don’t know,” she said.

Cadance noticed the tears running down Sunset’s cheek and asked in a concerned voice, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine!” Sunset snapped, startling the teenaged helper. “I wanna use the bathroom!” she shouted as she stormed out of the room.

“Wait!” Cadance shouted after her. She was stopped by Mrs. Mash’s hand on her shoulder.

“I’ll escort her. You go ahead and start reading before the kids start a riot,” she giggled.

“But what about Twilight? She still isn’t-”

“Don’t worry, she’s fine. I’ll bring them both back shortly.”

Cadance tilted her head before nodding slowly. “Well… okay then…” Cadance turned back to the gathered children waiting for her to begin reading to them with a smile, before looking down and gasping in shock at the book in her hands. ‘Shifty Maid in May’. ‘W-Wrong book!’ she screamed inside of her mind as she rushed to her handbag to retrieve the right book.


Sunset Shimmer ran into the bathroom with her sleeve over her eyes, wiping away the tears as she came to a stop in front of the row of sinks across the wall. She sobbed for roughly a minute before she lowered her arm and looked at herself in the mirror. ‘I just… I just wanted to make some friends… Why am I so bad at it?

Sunset sniffed and turned the taps to run some water to wash her face with. She sniffed again, followed by a hiccup, but her sobbing at least had stopped. As she turned the taps off and reached for a paper towel, something in the mirror caught her eyes. A pair of white socks inside of the stall behind her, with a purple skirt behind them on the floor.

With a gasp, Sunset turned around and opened the stall door to find Twilight Sparkle sitting inside, her nose stuck inside that same large book as before. Twilight gasped and raised her head, looking up at Sunset with her mouth agape.

“O-Oh, you found me,” Twilight said, picking herself up off of the floor and bookmarking her page as she closed the book. “Is it my turn to search, now?”

“You… You were hiding here?” Sunset asked, receiving a slow nod from Twilight. “All this time?” Another slow nod came from Twilight. “… How was I supposed to find you in here?!” Sunset shouted, startling the other girl.

Twilight raised her book as a shield and took a step back. “I-I’m still new to this game. D-Did I do something wrong?”

Sunset bit lower lip and took a moment to think about what to say next. “… N-No, I just… I… I-It was a good hiding place…”

“Isn’t it?” Mrs. Mash asked as she walked into the restroom, a proud look on her face. “I helped her find it, you know. I thought a smart girl like you would have been able to find her, but perhaps it was just a little too difficult.”

Sunset Shimmer frowned. “I thought she was gonna stay in the playroom… and then I thought she was avoiding me…”

“Well, in any case, I’m afraid playtime is over for now. Let’s make our way back for reading time, okay?”

Twilight’s eyes lit up and she clutched her book tightly. “‘Reading time’?” she asked, the corners of her mouth curling up into a smile.

Mrs. Mash took both girls’ hands and escorted them back to the playroom.


“I’m so sorry!” Cadance apologised to Mrs. Mash. Behind her, the students were growing restless, some demanding a story, some running around, and some pulling at Cadance’s dress to get her attention. “I left the book you wanted me to read at home! I’m so sorry!”

“It’s alright Cadance,” Mrs. Mash said, though the worrying look on her face didn’t agree with her words. “I’m sure there must be a book somewhere that we can read to them.”

“Um…” Twilight tugged at Mrs. Mash’s hand, gaining the teacher’s attention. She held up her book and said, “W-We could read this.”

Mrs. Mash took the book and examined the cover. “‘Daring Do and the Pharaoh’s Plight’.” She looked down at Twilight and asked, “You’ve been reading this all by yourself?” Twilight nodded timidly. “That’s impressive. You must be one smart girl.”

Twilight smiled and shied away as the teacher patted her head. “I-I love reading, and Daring Do is my new favourite book of all time!”

“Well then, would you like to read for the rest of us?” Mrs. Mash asked.

“Huh? M-Me?”

“Only if you want to, of course, but I think that being able to read such a big book at your age is an incredible talent, and it would be shame not to share it with the rest of the class.”

Blushing and fiddling with her hair, Twilight looked down to the floor and nodded meekly. “O-Okay, I’ll try.” Slowly, being led by Mrs. Mash’s hand, Twilight made her way to the front of the group of children. All mouths hushed and all eyes fell onto the shy young girl hiding behind her big book.

“Everyone, we’re going to hear a bit of reading from our new friend Twilight today. She’s got quite a talent for reading, so let’s all be respectful and encourage her as she shares that talent with the rest of us.” Mrs. Mash nodded to Twilight to begin. “Go on. We’re all ears.”

Twilight nodded back. After taking a deep breath, Twilight turned to the front of her book and scanned the words, trying to make sense of them as they seemed to jump around the page. “D-Daring Do woke up… in a dark, cold room, surrounded by rocky p-pillars and torches. “Where am I?” she asked herself.” Twilight’s breathing steadied as she saw some of the harder words coming up and she prepared herself. “Looking around, Daring Do was confused, and shivered as a breeze blew past her. “I can’t re-mem-ber how I got here. Could I have… am… amnes… ia?” Daring Do-”

“What’s a neshya?” Lyra asked suddenly, throwing her hand into the air.

“Who’s Daring Do?” Octavia asked.

“Children, remember what I said about being respectful,” Mrs. Mash scolded. “If you have a question, raise your hand and I’ll ask Twilight to pause for a moment.”

Twilight took a step backwards. “Uh…”

“‘Amnesia’ is when you can’t remember something, Lyra,” Mrs. Mash continued, “And Daring Do is the main character of this book, Octavia. There are actually a lot of adventure books written about her, if you like this one.”

“Uh…” Twilight looked up to her teacher, receiving a nod to continue reading. “D-Daring Do scrambled to her feet and-”

“My dad had scrambled eggs for breakfast!” a boy from the crowd shouted out suddenly. A glare from Mrs. Mash silenced the pupil quickly.

“A-And…” Twilight whimpered as she realised that she had lost her place. Not wanting to hesitate for too long, she just picked a sentence and continued reading. “T-The markings on the w-wall were ancient hieroglyphs-”

“What?”

“T-That Daring Do recognised from her studies. “Fascinating,” she said. “This seems to be a complex math problem. It seems I can rotate the panels to solve it. First, I need to solve X, and then-”

“I don’t get it.”

“Me either.”

“When’s the action gonna start?”

Mrs. Mash sighed. She knew how to take a hint. ‘It seems this book might be too advanced for the rest of the class, after all.’ Clapping her hands together, Mrs. Mash said, “Alright, class, since you clearly aren’t interested in today’s reading material, how about we all just go outside for a game of scatterball?”

The class cheered and jumped in unison as Mrs. Mash and Cadance led the excited crowd towards the door leading to the playground outside. Mrs. Mash looked over to find Twilight still standing in her spot, frowning as she stared down at the floor. She was about to call out, when suddenly…

“What kinda math problem is it?” Sunset asked, startling Twilight, who looked up to find that the flame-haired girl was still sitting at the front row with a big smile on her face. “I might be able to solve it! I’m smart, y’know?”

Twilight blinked, before returning her face to her book. “U-Uh, actually, there’s a diagram of the puzzle on the next page, i-if you want to-”

“Show me!”

Twilight flinched. “Oh, but, can you read?”

“I can do numbers and some small words.”

Twilight slowly turned the book around so that Sunset could examine the diagram inside. Just a little over ten seconds later, Sunset said, “Okay, I got it. Keep reading. I wanna know how she got there.”

A smile slowly creeped over Twilight’s face and she nodded. “S-So then, Daring Do inputted the answer and the wall slowly opened up. On the other side was the most beautiful site she had ever seen: a golden crown, embedded with- Oh, embedded means-”

“I know what it means,” Sunset said with a frown. “C’mon! Keep going!”

Mrs. Mash smiled as Twilight continued reading, a lot faster and a lot more spirited than before. Sunset continued to listen eagerly. Looking outside and finding that Cadance had the situation pretty much under control, the teacher pulled up a chair and sat down beside the door, able to keep an eye on both the class, and the two new friends.


One year had passed. Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer were fortunate enough to have wound up in the same school together, the elementary division of Canterlot Private Academy for Girls.

The two had continued to be friends all throughout their kindergarten days, and despite not interacting much with others outside of classroom activities, the two were still happy and played together every day.

Until one day, something dawned on Sunset Shimmer. It was just after the day’s second lesson, when all of the children in the school were let loose for fifteen minutes of playtime. Sunset was being tailed by Twilight as usual, and also as usual, Twilight’s faced was buried in a book.

“What are we doing today?” Twilight asked. She never minded what the two did, so she always let Sunset decide.

Sunset Shimmer stopped, as did Twilight. “Hey… you really like books, don’t you?”

Twilight lowered the book, revealing her confused expression at Sunset’s pointing out of the obvious. “Uh, yeah. Like I said, reading is my favourite thing ever.”

“… Better than me?” Sunset asked with a frown.

“Uh, n-no?” Twilight responded weakly. “I mean, I love reading, but you’re my friend.”

“Why?” Sunset asked. “Why are we friends? You’re always reading, even when we play together. Why do you even bother playing with me if you’re just gonna spend all your time reading your books?!”

Twilight lowered her book further and fidgeted with her feet as her eyes darted around the playground. “You… said you wanted to be my friend…”

Sunset gasped, afraid that she might have made a mistake. “I-I do! I just don’t get why you want to be mine!”

“Well… because you… said you wanted to be my friend,” Twilight repeated. “You were the first person, besides my brother, who ever wanted to play with me. You didn’t mind if I read while we played, so I didn’t have to choose.” Twilight’s eyes met Sunset’s, and the other girl flinched. “Why did you want to be my friend, though? I’m just… I only like reading, and I’m not good at talking to other people.”

Sunset scratched her arm in silence for a moment, biting her lip as she watched Twilight’s expression drop. “Because you said you would be my friend,” she answered quietly. Twilight tilted her head in response. “No one else wanted to play with me, because I’m… not very good with others myself.”

“But you talk so freely and fearlessly,” Twilight pointed out. “I’d have thought you’d have tonnes of friends. I actually… kind of respect you for it.”

Sunset shook her head. “I’m too free and too fearless. I always had- have to have things my way, and it drives other children away.” Sunset smiled at Twilight. “You’re content with just playing along with others and don’t need friends to be happy. I respect you for that.”

Twilight smiled back, a blush crossing her face as she raised one hand to scratch the back of her head. Her book slipped out of her other hand, but Sunset caught it before it hit the floor. “Uh, here…”

Twilight reached out for the book, but stopped, her hand frozen in the air for a few seconds. She pulled back her hand and turned around, exposing her backpack to her friend. “Put it away,” she said. “It’s playtime right now. I can read later.”

Sunset simply stared silently at Twilight, before reaching forward and opening Twilight’s backpack to put the book inside, right next to her treasured ‘Smarty Pants’ doll.

“So, what are we playing?” Twilight asked.

Sunset thought for a moment, before a demonic grin crossed her face. “Oh, I was thinking of a nice little game caaaaaalled…” Sunset reached out and nudged Twilight’s arm. “TAG!”

“TAG!” Twilight shouted as she caught Sunset’s shoulder as the other girl attempted to run past her. “I know that look too well!” Twilight bragged as she ran away with a proud grin on her face.

“Hey! No tag-backs!” Sunset scolded as she chased after the fleeing Twilight, the two girls laughing as they chased each other across the playground, causing many accidents along the way, but all of them worth it, for that day was just the start of a beautiful friendship that would last throughout the ages.


Sunset Shimmer, at the age of nine, looked over her final report entitled ‘How I Made my First Friend’ and grimaced as she read over the final paragraph. Grabbing the eraser to her side, the girl frantically rubbed out the final line. “Way too cheesy.”

Author's Note:

For those wondering what 'scatterball' is, I'm not sure if it's even a real game or something that my primary (what you Americans called 'elementary') school invented. Basically like baseball (or 'rounders' as we call it), but the pitcher has three soft balls that they throw to the 'batter', and the batter catches and throws them in random directions.

... Basically baseball for pussies. Hella fun, though :D (And can be played indoors. Suck on that, bad English weather!)