• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 9,432 Views, 427 Comments

The Misadventures of Sunset Shimmers - Yukito



A look into the daily life of a certain high school student named Sunset Shimmer and her friends

  • ...
20
 427
 9,432

X - Shining's Friends

“I already told you, I can’t be with you.”

“Why not?”

“Because… I’m not what you think I am. I’m actually… a robot, sent from the future to save humanity by killing you brother!”

“I swear, this series is really going downhill this season,” Sunset said as she reached for the popcorn to her side and scooped up a handful. “Do they really need to force a sci-fi element to keep this show alive?”

“I’m just surprised Sapphire Shores is still going along with it,” Twilight said, looking up from her book and facing the screen. “They must be paying her a lot.”

Sunset picked up the remote beside her and pointed it towards the TV. “You mind if I change the channel?”

“Not at all.”

As Sunset began to flick through the channels, a bottom half of a white dress with a pair of feet blocked her vision. She looked up to find Twilight’s mother standing before her. “Girls, wouldn’t you rather go out somewhere fun than sit in front of the TV all night?”

“We considered that,” Sunset said, “But there’s nothing interesting going on tonight.”

“Well, Shining Armor is about to go out bowling with some of his friends, and they’re looking for some more players,” Velvet said. “Perhaps the two of you would like to join him?”

Twilight and Sunset Shimmer looked at each other. “That doesn’t sound like a bad idea, actually,” Sunset said.

“But I’m not very good at bowling,” Twilight said.

“We can still have fun.”

“And there will be ice-cream there, too,” Velvet added, sparking a sudden interest in Twilight’s eyes.

“I’m in!” Twilight declared as she jumped up out of her chair.

Sunset pushed herself up off of the floor and stretched her arms. “I guess that settles it then. What time we leaving.”

“Right now,” Velvet said as she flicked the TV off. She turned her attention towards the doorway, where her son was standing and fastening a watch to his wrist. “Shining, dear, your sister and Sunset will be accompanying you.

“What?” Shining asked as he regarded his mother. “Uh, I don’t think that’s a good idea. He’s going to be there.”

“Well then, you’ll just have to keep an extra eye on them to make sure that nothing happens,” Velvet said. “Besides, the two of you don’t play together as much as you used to.”

“That’s because I’ve moved away,” Shining said. “And my job is very demanding.”

“Right. So now you should take this chance to make up for lost time.” Velvet ushered Twilight and Sunset out of the room. “Go on now. Have fun, but make sure you’re both home by ten.”

“W-Wait. But I-” Shining’s objections were ignored as his mother ushered all three of them out of the house, closing the door behind them after saying one final farewell. “… Well, I guess the two of you will be joining us tonight.”

“She seemed rather in a hurry to get us out of there,” Sunset said as she gave a suspicious look towards the front door.

“Hey Shining,” Twilight said, “Who’s ‘he’?”

“Ah, I’ll introduce you when we get there,” Shining said as he began to walk down the drive. Twilight and Sunset followed after him, both girls sparing one final curious look towards the house.


Velvet kept watch at the window as her son, daughter and daughter’s friend entered the car parked outside. As the engine started, she moved away from the window and span around on the spot. “Coast is clear!” she sang as she spread her arms out wide.

Night Light approached his wife and placed his arms to her sides. “Finally, a night all to ourselves.” He leaned in to give Velvet a quick peck on the lips. “Trust you to birth not just one, but two children who never want to go anywhere.”

Velvet simply giggled as she hit a switch on her CD player, starting up some slow dance music in the background. “Too bad Twilight has that ten o’clock curfew.”

“We’ll just have to make the most of our night.”


Upon arriving at the Canterlot Bowling Alley, Shining, Twilight and Sunset were greeted at the entrance by tow familiar faces: Cadance and Chrysalis.

“We beat you,” Cadance said as she wrapped herself around Shining’s arm. “That means you’re paying for our admission.”

“I sure hope you brought your wallet,” Chrysalis said as she mimicked Cadance’s action on Shining’s other arm. Cadance hissed at the sudden pest stealing her man whilst Shining Arm shook his arm to free it from her hold.

“Your brother sure is popular for a D&D nerd,” Sunset observed as she watched the display right out of a cheesy sitcom.

“I hope he picks Cadance in the end,” Twilight said as she stared warily at Chrysalis. “She’s much nicer, and Chrysalis is kinda scary…”

“She saved our lives before, though.”

“I know,” Twilight said, “But still, there’s something… ominous about her.”

“You’re just imagining things,” Sunset told her. “So!” she called out to Shining Armor, “When are we gonna start?”

“Just as soon as the others get here,” Shining said, his attention drawn to the car park where an expensive-looking black car seemed to be pulling in. “Well speak of the devil.” Shining Armor waved towards the car as two people climbed out of it. Behind them, a motorcycle entered the car park and pulled up beside their car.

The two who had exited the car approached the group, allowing Twilight and Sunset Shimmer to get a much better look at the two of them. “Good evening, my dear boy,” one of the men said. He looked about the same age as Twilight’s dad and spoke in a very posh accent. His blue hair was slicked back and he had a very small blue moustache. His most noticeable feature was the monocle over his eye… if not the fancy tuxedo that stood out from everybody else’s casual wear.

“Let me introduce you,” Shining said, turning to the two high school girls. “Twilight, is Fancypants.” The monocle-wearing man nodded his head. “… And Blueblood.” Shining pointed towards the other man that had joined them. He looked to be about Shining’s age, and whilst his wear wasn’t quite as formal as Fancypants’, it was certainly more frilly… to the point that one might question if ‘he’ was actually a ‘she’.

He had very long, silky golden hair that glistened in the light, and wore white gloves on his hands, one of which was holding a rose to his nose as he sniffed the apparently-pleasant aroma from it. He stopped and turned his attention towards the two girl, his charming smile never leaving his face. “A pleasure to make your acquaintance, mademoiselles.

“Don’t let his looks fool you,” Shining cautioned. “He’s a total perv and a complete knucklehead.”

“Shining Armor!” Blueblood shouted in a scolding tone. “I am hurt by your words! I am not, as you so elegantly put it, a ‘perv’. I am simply a firm admirer of the female form.” Blueblood flicked his hair back and pointed his nose upwards. “In any case, I am a gentleman, and as such have very strict standards. One of which is that I am only attracted to girls that have crossed the threshold of womanhood! … Eighteen years old.”

“Oh really?” Chrysalis asked. “So if I told you that the two over there were prone to randomly making out, you wouldn’t be interested one bit.”

Blueblood’s eyes widened and he just barely stopped his face from suddenly turning to face the two girl. “N-Not one bit…”

“It is a pleasure to meet you fine young ladies,” Fancypants said, extending his hand towards the two girls. They each shook it in turn.

“You guys, this is my sister Twilight,” Shining said as he motioned towards his sister. He then turned his hand towards Sunset. “And this is her friend, Sunset Shimmer.”

“It’s nice to meet you both,” Twilight said.

“So do the two of you work with Shining or something?” Sunset asked.

Fancypants shook his head. “No, not quite. My family owns a jewellery shop in town. I also dabble a little bit in the stock market.”

“‘Dabble’, he says,” Blueblood laughed. “This guy knows exactly what to invest in and when to pull out! If you ever turn to stock exchange, he’s the man you should go to!”

Fancypants cleared his throat as a blush crossed his face. “Yes, well, in any case, I only know your brother through Blueblood here,” he said to Twilight.

“And what do you do?” Sunset asked Blueblood, whose face suddenly turned from charming to smug.

I work in disaster response,” Blueblood declared as he twirled his rose around in his fingers. “Shining and I sometimes cross paths, though we also knew each other from high school.”

“Disaster response?” Twilight asked. “That sounds interesting!”

“Yeah,” Shining said, “And despite all else, he’s actually pretty good when it comes to his job. He knows exactly what actions to take and what people to send in before everyone else can even get their head around what’s going on.”

Blueblood nodded with a prideful smile on his face as he listened to Shining Armor’s praise. Suddenly, it hit him. “Wait, what do you mean by ‘despite all else’?!”

Everybody else laughed whilst Blueblood simply turned his head away with a huff. “Hey, we goin’ in or what?” a voice asked behind Blueblood and Fancypants. “It’s freezin’ out here!”

Everybody turned to face the new arrival at the door. It was a tall, tough-looking woman wearing a brown bomber jacket and white tank top, with a pair of tattered genes covered in dirt and dust. She was holding a white helmet in her right arm and a cigarette in her left hand. Her hair was clearly dyed white with purple tips, and it almost looked like it was made of feathers. Her face had a few scars that stood out very clearly.

Twilight yelped and quickly hid behind Sunset Shimmer, who turned to Shining and relaxed when she saw he didn’t look entirely worried by the sudden intruder’s appearance.

“Y-You guys!” Shining shouted to Blueblood and Fancypants.

“Y-You said we needed to bring at least one more person to make our teams equal!” Blueblood shouted back. “Gilda overheard our conversation and, well, we thought she might like to come along and…”

“That’s all well and good,” Cadance said, her eyes never leaving Gilda’s left hand as a stern expression stuck to her face, “But I’m going to have to ask that you put that out if you intend to bowl with us. I cannot stand the smell of those things.”

“N-Neither can I,” Twilight said, poking her head out just in time to make eye contact with the scary-looking woman. “Eep!” she squeaked as she ducked back behind Sunset’s back.

Gilda looked down to her cigarette and grumbled something. “Whatever,” she said as she dropped the cigarette to the floor and crushed it with her foot. “So what’s the deal? We gonna bowl or what?”

Shining stared at Gilda cautiously for a few seconds, before nodding his head and stepping further inside. “Well, I guess at least our teams are even now… Let’s decide what our teams will be, then.”


Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Chrysalis, and Mi Amore Cadenza.

Shining Armor, Fancypants, Blueblood, and Gilda.

“This sucks,” Blueblood whispered to Shining Armor. “Why couldn’t I have been put on the same team as Chryssy or Cadie?!”

“It’s just the way it worked out,” Shining said with a shrug. “And please don’t call my girlfriend ‘Cadie’.”

“Hey man, if it wasn’t for me, you never would have spoken to her,” Blueblood said. “Besides, that’s what I’ve always called her, ever since we were kids.”

“Well it’s sort of inappropriate now.”

“Yo, dweebs!” Gilda shouted, snapping the two boys to attention. “Game’s startin’! Stop playin’ Chinese Whispers and get bowling!”

“R-Right!” Shining shouted. “Well then, I guess I’m up first with…” Shining’s hand reached towards a ball, only to come in contact with another, pink hand. “Oh, sorry,” he said as he smiled at Cadance, the two blushing as they pulled their hands back.

The two then reached in for a different ball, their hands once again coming into contact. “Oops. My bad,” Cadance giggled as the two retreated their hands once more.

A third attempt produced the same result, the giggles evolving into laughter as the two stared at each other.

“Just grab a ball already!” Gilda snapped. “Jesus, this isn’t some stupid love-comedy flick here!”

The laughter stopped, and Cadance scowled as she reached for the nearby pink ball and walked away with a huff. Shining picked up a nearby blue ball and turned to Gilda. The two glared at each other for a second before he grumbled and walked towards his lane.

“Hey!” Gilda shouted as she checked the scoreboard. “Why the hell is it ‘Men versus Women’?!”

Shining Armor felt a chill down his spine. “Uh, well… it’s almost men versus women, so…”

“I’m a chick, in case ya hadn’t noticed!” Gilda shouted, puffing out her chest to confirm that her statement was true.

With a sigh, Shining nodded his head. “Right, right. Sorry about that.”

“If she’s a woman, then I’m a handsome unicorn stallion with a luxurious golden mane,” Blueblood whispered to Fancypants, who nodded his head in agreement.

“What was that?” Gilda asked, startling the two men them into cowardice.

“N-Nothing at all!” Blueblood said as he quickly hid behind Fancypants. “Just agreeing that you are indeed a fine specimen of the female form!”

“Indeed,” Fancypants said as he nodded in agreement. “Why, if I weren’t already married, I would even consider asking you to attend my next garden party.”

Gilda sat down beside the two men, causing them to shriek and move as far away in their seats as they could. She leaned back against her seat and stretched out her arms, looking over towards the two high school girls opposite her. “So, you two doin’ all your homework on time? Makin’ sure you attend all your classes?”

Twilight simply nodded, whilst Sunset Shimmer refused to give in to Gilda’s intimidation. “Yes, actually, we are,” she said. “The two of us are actually at the very top of our classes, and we have never once missed a day of school.”

Gilda guffawed as she reached into her bag and pulled out a green bottle from within. “How precious! Honour students, eh? I guess that means you don’t drink, either?” she asked, shaking the bottle before them.

Twilight’s eyes narrowed at the bottle before her. “Alcohol just damages the brain and kills the liver,” she said. “Not to mention it makes you fat. AH! Not that I’m saying your fat! No, I didn’t say that!” Twilight quickly took refuge behind Sunset Shimmer, who was beginning to feel like she should have a moat surrounding her by that point.

“Ah, come on now,” Gilda said as she opened the bottle and chugged the drink. She pulled the bottle away with a sigh and then continued. “When I was your age, I was drinkin’ and smokin’ and cutting all my classes, and I turned out great! Head of security and a hero, thanks to this chump.” She motioned to Blueblood, who shifted uneasily in his seat.

“Well that’s all well and good for you,” Sunset said, “But I’m going to become the next President of the States.”

Gilda whistled. “An’ what about your friend?”

Twilight slowly came out from her hiding spot and put a finger to her chin. “Um… I guess, there’s a nice library in town that I wouldn’t mind taking over from the elderly couple that work there once they retire?”

“Failing that, she could be my vice-pres,” Sunset said, wrapping an arm around her friend.

Twilight’s eyes widened and she quickly shook her head. “Uh-uh! No way! Too much pressure!”

“Gilda,” Chrysalis spoke up, attracting all attention towards herself, “I’m curious. What did you mean by you being a hero thanks to Blueballs?”

Blueblood scowled at the offensive nickname, but didn’t have a chance to raise an objection before Gilda spoke up to answer. “Ah, guess ya might not have heard, but I saved the guys life a couple o’ weeks ago.”

“You did? What happened?”

Gilda smirked as she turned to Blueblood. “I guess he must’ve pissed off the wrong guys, ‘cause I caught a suspicious dude dropping a package in his car and threw his ass in the slammer! Turns out the package was a bomb, and thanks to me discovering it when I did, a team was able to get there an’ take it apart before it went off!”

“A bomb, you say?” Chrysalis asked, her eyes narrowing. “And who was the culprit working for?”

Gilda simply shrugged. “Dunno. Ain’t my department; I’m just Head of Security. I caught a trespasser and took care of him, then your FBI buds took him away.”

Chrysalis simply stared in silence for a few seconds. Suddenly, a grin crossed her face and she turned to Blueblood. “Well, can’t say I’m surprised. In fact, I’m surprised you don’t get even more assassins coming after you.”

“Now that’s just cruel!” Blueblood scoffed, bringing a finger to his face and wiping away a tear that may or may not have even been there. “I’m sure my dear Cadie would never be so mean.”

“You were almost killed and you never told me?!” Cadance suddenly shrieked to Blueblood, startling him as she closed in on him with an angry glare. “You jerk! I can’t believe you wouldn’t tell me something like that!”

“By the way, ya still owe me one,” Gilda said as she took another chug of her drink. “Oh, and you’re up now.”

Blueblood looked up to the scoreboard to see that Cadance had scored nine points, whilst Shining had scored a spare. “Right! Let me show you how a true man bowls!”

Chrysalis leaned in to whisper something into Sunset’s ear. A wicked grin crossed Sunset’s face and Chrysalis rose to her feet to join Blueblood at the bowling lanes.

As Blueblood arrived at the line and closed one eye, calculating the weight of his ball and the angle of his bowl, he took a step back and slowly brought his arm back.

“Twilight, don’t touch me there!”

Blueblood fumbled his ball and it fell into the gutter as he quickly turned around to find Sunset Shimmer grinning his way whilst a blushing Twilight Sparkle sat beside her.

“S-Sunset!” Twilight scolded as she punched her friend’s arm.

“Just kidding!” she sang. “By the way, does a true man live in the gutter?”

Blueblood gritted his teeth together as he fumed at the snarky girl. “Why, you…”

“I got a strike,” Chrysalis said as she made her way back to her seat. “Oh, but don’t feel pressured to finish your turn any quicker, now.”

Blueblood grumbled as he walked back to grab a new ball. “Smooth move, dweeb,” Gilda said.

Ignoring the comment, Blueblood grabbed a new ball and approached his lane once more. “Hey Twilight, let’s kiss!”

Sweat dripped down Blueblood’s brow, but he refused to be distracted this time. “Heh. I already told you, I’m not interested in girls under eighteen.”

Blueblood pulled his arm back, ready to bowl. He would have to settle for a spare…

“Chrysalis, are those real?”

“Why yes. Would you like to feel?”

Blueblood almost released his ball, but just about managed to keep his grip as he turned to the two teasing girls with a face as red as a tomato. “OH COME ON!”

“Okay, that’s enough now, you two,” Cadance said as Sunset snickered in her seat. “Let’s let him bowl in peace.”

“… Thank you, Cadie.” Blueblood assumed his position one more time, rearing up his arm and… thinking about whether Chrysalis’ breasts really were real. They were big, he knew that, but what if they were just fakes? That would be devastating! Why would anybody do such an awful thing? Why-

Blueblood bowled his ball without realising it and gasped. Fortune seemed to be on his side, though, as he at least managed to hit the pins and score eight points, leaving only the two corner pins standing.

“At least it wasn’t a total loss,” Gilda commented as she turned to Fancypants. “Looks like you’re gonna have ta salvage this.”

“I must confess that I’m not too confident in my bowling ability,” Fancypants said. “May I ask, which ball do you think would be the best to use?”

“For a frail guy like you? Go with that yellow one there.”

Fancypants looked to the yellow ball that Gilda was pointing to and picked it up. “Oh my. That’s… rather heavy…”

Sunset also picked up a ball and approached her lane. “It’s actually been a while since I last went bowling…”

“Well then, we’re in much the same boat I suppose,” Fancypants laughed as he took his place beside Sunset Shimmer. The two bowled simultaneously, both balls reaching the end and knocking over a fair amount of pins. As the two walked back to collect their next balls, Fancypants asked, “Your name is Sunset Shimmer. Does that mean that your father is-”

“Midnight Inferno, CEO of Inferno Industries?” Sunset asked with an air of pride. “Why yes. Yes he is.”

“I knew it! You look just like him, beard excluded.”

“So you know my father?” Sunset asked as she picked up her ball and walked back to her lane.

“Actually, it was my store that your father brought his engagement ring from,” Fancypants told her. “Though it was my mother who owned it at the time. Your father and I hit it off and I funded his business venture, though I regret to say that we lost contact shortly after he started climbing the corporate ladder.”

“You’re not the only one,” Sunset said. “Even my mother doesn’t seem to speak much with him these days. The few times he stops by home are to pick up a change of clothes or some mail.”

“Oh my. Your mother’s name was Aurora, if I recall correctly?”

“Aurora Borealis,” Sunset confirmed as she bowled her ball, knocking over all but two remaining pins.

Fancypants nodded and bowled his own ball, knocking over all but one of his remaining pins. “They were so close though. How could they have drifted so far apart?”

“Well, she still loves him,” Sunset said, “And he does come back for special holidays to spend time with us. Mum just says that his work is very important…” Sunset folded her arms and began to walk back to her seat. “Personally, I don’t see how a job can be so important you don’t even see your family…”

“What does his company do, anyway?” Fancypants asked as he accompanied her.

Sunset Shimmer simply shrugged. “You got me. All I know is it has something to do with science.”

“Hey kid!” Gilda called to Twilight as Sunset and Fancypants returned. “Looks like we’re up!”

“Oh! Uh, right…” Twilight stood up and looked to Sunset Shimmer.

“You’ll do fine,” Sunset assured her with a smile and a pat on the shoulder. “Just go for one of the lighter ball and try to aim straight down the middle.”

“But what if I drag the whole team down?” Twilight asked. “The losing team buys the ice-cream, so-”

“That doesn’t apply to us,” Sunset said, pointing a thumb over her own shoulder. “We’re still too young to gamble, so it’s only these two who’ll be paying.”

“Hey!” Cadance shouted in protest.

“Just relax and do your best. If you mess up, I’ll make up the difference on my next bowl.”

Twilight smiled and nodded. “Okay.”

“So you comin’ or what?” Gilda asked from her own lane. Twilight saw that all of her pins were already knocked down. “C’mon! Let’s see what ya got!”

With a determined look on her face, Twilight nodded and approached her lane, grabbing a ball on the way. She stood at the line, staring the pins down as she slowly brought her arm back…

“Bend your knees more!” Gilda shouted. “And put your back into it! You’re not gonna knock anythin’ over standin’ like that!”

“Oh, uh… l-like this?” Twilight asked, crouching and tilting backwards a little bit.

“This is why eggheads shouldn’t be jumpin’ right into physical activities,” Gilda said as she approached a startled Twilight. Before she could retreat, Gilda got behind the timid girl and grabbed her shoulders, pulling her up a little bit and tilting her forward. “Okay, now bowl.”

Twilight nodded and pulled her arm back. She felt a hand grab her arm and shift it slightly to the right. She pushed her arm forward and released the ball… and it made contact with the pins, knocking all ten of them down in one go.

“I-I did it!” Twilight shouted in a cheerful voice, hopping back to her group, where Sunset Shimmer was ready with the high-five. “I did it, guys! I got a strike!”

“Yeah, we saw,” Sunset said, reaching up and patting Twilight’s head. “See? Sports can be fun.”

Twilight stopped her bouncing and cleared her throat. “Y-Yes, well… I suppose that there is always an exception, isn’t there?”

Sunset turned her attention to Gilda, who had returned to her own team’s side and promptly sat down onto their bench. “But why’d you help her out?”

“Why else? I want this ta be a challenge!” Gilda answered, reaching down for her bottle and chugging away at the contents inside.

“Thank you,” Twilight said with a warm smile.

Gilda stopped and pulled her drink away, surprised by the sudden show of gratitude. “Eh? What for? Y’know I’m still gonna beat you all, right?”

“If it wasn’t for you, I might have never bowled like that this entire game,” Twilight told her. “So thanks, Gilda.”

A blush crossed Gilda’s face and she quickly averted her eyes. “Hmph. Surrounded by dweebs…”

Beside Gilda, Blueblood, Shining Armor and Fancypants had huddled together. “Did you see that?” Shining asked in a whisper.

“She actually showed a cute side,” Blueblood said in a panicked tone.

“Maybe she really is a woman,” Fancypants offered.

“I can also hear you all loud-and-clear,” Gilda told them, causing each of them to jump away in unison. “C’mon, Dork Armor! It’s your turn!”

“Er, right…” Shining Armor passed Gilda to collect his ball. ‘Never mind. Even Chrysalis is cuter than her…


“We won!”

Shining Armor, Blueblood and Fancypants all sank into their seats in defeat. They had lost, and to a team that had two novices, too. Today was certainly a dark day for their masculine pride.

“And that means free ice-cream,” Twilight reminded her brother as she towered over him, taunting the losing team with Sunset Shimmer.

“Twilight, today might be a good day to lift that diet, don’t you think?” Sunset asked with a teasing grin pointed at Shining Armor.

“Well, I suppose just one day wouldn’t hurt,” Twilight responded with a giggle.

“Alright! Let’s pick out the biggest bowls on the menu,” Gilda said as she placed her arms around the two girls.

“Why are you so happy?” Blueblood asked. “You’re not on their team!”

“The deal was that the guys pay for the women if they lose,” Gilda said. “Like I said, I’m a woman!”

“T-That’s-”

“A loophole,” Fancypants interjected. “But a valid one,” he added with a sigh.

“Chrysalis, maybe we shouldn’t order too much,” Cadance said, bringing a hopeful look to Shining’s face.

“It’s fine. He just received a huge bonus, anyway,” Chrysalis responded.

“Oh! Then in that case, let us not hold back!” And just like that, all hope was lost once more.

“We wouldn’t have won if Gilda hadn’t shown me how to bowl so well,” Twilight said.

Blueblood cast a suspicious look on Gilda. “Yes. Fancy that…”

“Eh, bowling’s alright, I guess. But if ya wanna try a real sport, I can show take ya down to the firing range and show you how ta use a gun.”

Shining’s eye twitched. “No thanks! She’s quite alright, thank you very-”

“That sounds fun!” Twilight cheered.

Shining’s jaw dropped. “B-But you hate guns!”

“I hate them being used on living things,” Twilight corrected, “But I appreciate the sport of marksmanship. In fact, I’ve actually been sort of curious about it for a while now.”

“No way! You’re too young!”

“Actually, she’s fine as long as she has an adult present,” Sunset said. “I prefer archery myself, but I suppose I could give it a try, too.”

“Alright! I’m off work next weekend, so let’s do it then?” Gilda asked as she walked away with the rest of the girls.

“That’s fine with us,” Twilight answered. She looked over her shoulder and asked, “Are you guys coming?”

“We’ll be right there,” Blueblood said with a sigh.

“And maybe while we’re there I can show ya how ta beat a guy up if he gets too fresh with ya!” Gilda offered as she continued walking.

“T-That’s alright,” Twilight said. “Just the firing range will suffice.”

Shining Armor glared at the back of Gilda’s head. “I don’t like her hanging around with Twilight. She’s a bad influence.”

“Worry about other things right now,” Blueblood said. “Like our poor wallets.”

“Don’t worry, lads,” Fancypants said in a reassuring tone. “I had a similar crisis with my wife, Fleur, recently. It may seem like we’re being pushed around now, but our revenge will come at before night’s end.”

“How so?” Shining Armor asked.


“Sunset! It’s time for bed!”

“I know!” Sunset responded to her mother as she shut off the bathroom sink and placed her toothbrush down. She made her way across the bathroom, humming merrily as she recalled the sweet victory earlier that evening.

As her nightly routine came to an end, there was only one thing left to do: stand on the scales and record her weight.

And so she climbed onto the white bathroom scales and glanced down. Her head shot back up, the humming coming to an abrupt end. She slowly brought her head down again and sweat dripped down her face.

“T-This can’t be… How did I-” Sunset gasped as it hit her. The ice-cream. The large serving of ice-cream, and the several small tubs she had on the side. And all of the chocolate, strawberries and cherries that came with them. All the little candy sprinkles and the M&M’s. Sunset thought that just one night wouldn’t hurt, but-

Sunset heard her ringtone and jumped with a start. The ringtone was the one that played whenever Twilight called her: ‘California Girls’. She quickly ran out of the bathroom and towards her bedroom, picking up her phone and answering the call. “Hello?”

“Sunseeeeeeet,” a sad-sounding voice on the other side cried.

“Let me guess… you checked your weight, too?”

A sniff came from the other end, accompanied by, “Uh-huh…”

Sunset sighed. “… Alright, we’re establishing a new ground rule for our diet plan: no ice-cream for the next three years.”

Another sniff came from Twilight. “What about cake?”

“… Only on special occasions. Birthdays and Christmas.”

“And Easter? Oh, but my family’s Jewish on my dad’s side, so we have to celebrate Hanukah, too.”

“Okay, those four… and maybe the last and first days of the school year, too.”

“End of exam week? That’s a special occasion.”

“Agreed. And New Year’s Day. But that’s it!”

“Totally! Just those seven days, and on December 21st!”

“What?”

“Y-Y’know, the world’s ending and all that?”

“… I’ll allow it. But no mo- Actually, your mum just got a ‘Best Author’ award, right? We’ve got to celebrate that!”

“Oh, totally! And y’know, Joe recently made a new menu and he was really looking forward to us sampling them. It would be rude not to.”

“Well we don’t want to be rude. Okay, but only one or two of each new cake he has in stock! … And maybe-”

“SUNSET SHIMMER! BED!”

Sunset yelped and fumbled her phone in her hands. “S-Sorry, we’re gonna have to finish this tomorrow! Night!” Sunset hung up her phone and placed it to her side, yawning and stretching her arms as she climbed into her bed.

“… Ah, there’s ice-cream in the fridge, and it’s not like mum can eat it, being lactose intolerant and all… It sure would be a shame to waste it… No! Bad thoughts!” Sunset rolled onto her side and closed her eyes, trying to think of anything besides cold, delicious strawberry ice-cream, covered in raspberry sauce and with a couple of cherries on top… “Maybe just one scoop in the morning.”