• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 36,088 Views, 2,154 Comments

Celestia's Tiny Student - CommanderX5



Twilight is unable to control her powers during the entrance exam to the School for Talented Unicorns, and in order to reduce the damage caused by her power surges, Celestia shrinks her down until she would later learn how to control her powers.

  • ...
73
 2,154
 36,088

Bonus Ch - Day Before Summer Sun Celebration

Celestia’s Tiny Student

-

Bonus Chapter

Day Before Summer Sun Celebration


“Hey Twilight! What are you doing?” Spike called up to his adoptive mother, as she perused a long row of books a few meters above him.

Twilight picked out another book, adding it to the mountain of tomes levitating above her head as she checked off another item on the long checklist floating in front of her.

“Twili—”

Spike stopped as Twilight turned suddenly towards him, jumping from the five meter height to land squarely on his nose. She wrapped her magic in a gentle embrace around his mouth to keep it closed even as she still kept the giant heap of books levitating behind her. “Shush, Spike, this is the Royal Library. One of the main rules is to keep quiet. That includes shouting and loud noises too. Understand?”

Spike tried to answer, but his mouth was still held in Twilight’s powerful grip, so he simply nodded his head. A moment later, Twilight loosened her hold on him, and her angry glare vanished.

“Twilight,” Spike mumbled, “you know that besides us, your mentor, your foalsitter, and your personal guards, nopony else uses this library, right? Why do you even bother with the rules, if there is nopony here to disturb?”

Twilight shook her head. “Rules are rules, Spike. What if some very famous and important scholars come here in search for knowledge, and the noise we make discourages them from their pursuit?” she replied, giving Spike a questioning look.

The little dragon sighed in defeat. “Fine, fine. I'll try not to be too loud, but could you please tell me what you're searching for?” Spike asked, pointing up at the books still being levitated in Twilight’s magic. “Are you still working on that spell to turn unicorns and earth ponies into pegasi, or is this some new project?”

“Nothing of the sort. I’m just preparing for an important assignment,” Twilight replied cheerfully, giving her assistant a smile.

Spike stared at her uncomprehendingly, and Twilight’s smile slowly turned into a frown. “Don’t tell me you forgot what day it is today.”

Spike blinked a few times as he continued to look up at the unicorn on his muzzle. “Umm... is today your birthday? No wait, you had that a few months ago. Maybe... or... okay, I got nothing.”

Twilight let out an exasperated groan. “Tomorrow is the Summer Sun Celebration! It’s going to take place in a town not far from Canterlot—Ponyville, I think—but the point is that I’m responsible for overseeing the preparations for the celebration. Do you understand what this means?” she said, a mix of excitement and panic in her voice.

Twilight looked at Spike desperately as he tried his best to think of an appropriate response. “Umm... free food?” he replied hesitantly.

“No Spike,” Twilight said firmly, resisting the urge to facehoof. “It means that I am on my first royal assignment! Princess Celestia is entrusting me with a duty for the first time, and I cannot fail her trust. This day has to be perfect!” she said anxiously, taking a few agitated breaths as a few hairs of her mane sprung out of place.

“Twilight, calm down!” Spike said, as the little mare jumped down from his head to pace restlessly on the floor. “You are, once again, panicking over nothing. Also, didn’t Celestia assign you to the Wonderbolt Headquarters so you could learn about pegasus magic? You didn’t panic back then, so why is this any different?” he asked, giving Twilight a questioning look.

“No, no, and once again, no! My one month trip to the Wonderbolt Headquarters and the time I spent learning from Spitfire and Soarin’ were a part of my studies. Overseeing the Summer Sun Celebration is the first duty the princess has requested of me. For the first time since I became her apprentice, I can prove myself useful to her, and I must prove myself useful!” Twilight replied, shuddering from the images of a ruined celebration and a giant, disappointed princess glaring down at her as they flashed through her mind.

Before her assistant could reply, Twilight jumped onto the bookshelf and began climbing back up, her levitated books following her. Spike sighed and followed the little mare as she skimmed through the titles even quicker than before, once again five meters above him. “So let me guess, those books are about past Summer Sun Celebrations and this village we’re going to visit, right?” he asked quietly, not wanting to get another lecture from his over-energetic mother.

“First off, it’s Ponyville, and yes, you are correct. Just today, Silver Scroll informed me about my assignment and left a list of tasks to do and places I need to inspect. She said that I’ll be staying at the local library, but I need to be prepared," Twilight answered, taking a single solid jump to land on the edge of another bookshelf. "I’m trying to find as much literature as I can about this place.” She looked up at the sign posted on the shelf, proclaiming it to be the ‘History and Traditions’ section of the library. With a nod, she began skimming through the titles again, though her hasty search stopped when an interesting book caught her attention.

“Twilight, you’re going to visit a town near Canterlot, not some isolated island with an alien culture… Twilight, are you even listening to me?” Spike asked, as Twilight buried herself in her new find, a picture of the moon emblazoned on its cover.

Author's Note:

Announcement

To every fan of “Celestia’s Tiny Student.”
I would like to inform you that after a great many unfortunate delays, the sequel is finally uploaded, a moment you all had been waiting for is finally here.

The sequel is far from being done as for now I uploaded prologue and several chapters, but it will be updated regularly.

Here is the link, please enjoy - http://www.fimfiction.net/story/197104/ponyvilles-tiny-librarian

To celebrate the release of this sequel, I created a group called “Twinyverse” for all fans of this story where you can talk about it and track all side stories with ease.

The Twinyverse Group

Comments ( 405 )

You shouldn't have posted it to begin with. You aren't to make 'Announcements' as a chapter in a story. That gives false boosting of a story (not that this story needs boosting), among other things. There's a reason why we can tag stories in our blogs: use it, please.

p.s. Sorry if I seem short, but I wouldn't want you banned for breaking the rules.

4593511 Magical Trevor is correct... You either need to:A) erase this chapter and put it in a blog with story tagging. Or B) completely rewrite this "announcement" chapter into an actual chapter that fits in with the story that dovetails into the sequel.

What you've currently done could get you banned for a while

Comment posted by CommanderX5 deleted Jun 24th, 2014

4593541 4593511
After a second thought, I think I will take your advice. I will take small part form prologue into the sequel and put it here. A small nit peek with author notes informing about the sequel. ( I know it is not the most creative way to do it, but I hope that the fans of this story will forgive me for this).

TDR

Hmm I never had a problem with doing it. I thought the rules started the stories couldn't be links to other things , not the end caps.

4594217
Basically, the content of a chapter must add to the story. As in, contain something that happens in-universe. If there is nothing added to the story, it's against the rules.

4594264
Maybe because it is funny. Just kidding. Anyway, glad you liked it, but Twiny's adventures are just starting. There is still a lot of years for her to grow in a giant world.

4595308
Hehe, yea, her hard work really paid off.

4595437
Hopefully the outcome will surprice you even if you read the sequel.

4595544
Well, Celestia is new to the whole tiny pony business, but at least she is trying, and efforts maters a lot.
But you, until other princess won't shrink herself, Celestia will keep her tittle as best tiny princess (I wonder do if Cadence shrunk herself, do it would make her best princess instead?)

4595753
Thanks for your proofreading, it realy helped a lot.

all the weight crushing princess body disappeared

I replaced "disappeared" with "vanished" hope it works. As for the rest, i just went letter to the letter to your advices since my top editors are working on the sequel at the moment and I not want to bother them.

Once you will finish reading this story, know that there is always a spot for pre-reader/proof-reader to assist with the sequel (sequel is uploaded already, but editing chapters in it is very dificult.
Just PM me if you would like to assist with the sequel.

Also, I am surpriced that there were so many mistakes in this one, but it is probably because my top editor let someone else edit 33% of this chapter, who knows.
Have fun reading it, and PM me if you would want to proof-read not yet upload chapters of the sequel.

4595971
Have fun with the sequel.

Why have so many of these stories appeared all of a sudden?

4596679
Fixed.

4597305
Okaaaaaay... :pinkiecrazy:

4598625
What do you mean?
Are there any more tiny Twilight stories besides mine that has been appearing lately?

4598725 Look at the feature box.

4599134
I checked feature box and I don't see anything out of ordinary. Can you be more specific what stories you mean?

4599182
You too want tiny Twilight pictures, check this: blog

4599386 Shit. I swore i saw a ton of them earlier.

4599453
It is because feature box changed a lot.
In the past, it was very hard to get to feature box, but your story also stayed there for a very long time.
Right now if your story get into feature box once, it will stay there, but not for long, and whenever you update story that was once in feature box, there is high chance it will appear in feature box again, but it will also disappear from there fast (I think it is because new stories that are featured get a lot of attention and it keeps them in, but stories that are featured again due to update get far less attention, new readers and likes, and so it is gone very quickly).

I think that because I uploaded a bonus chapter in Celestia's Tiny Student, it appeared in feature box, but was gone only few hours later.

4601365
A lot of people seems to ask that same question, and all I can say is that maybe she is, maybe not, i'm not telling.

4604144
She does that a lot, trust me.

4604199
Fancy Pants probably already earned some cash by doing that (but in all seriousness, merchendises are Hasbro departament).

4604313
Really? Have you seen blog post where I gathered every single tiny Twilight art I managed to track on deviant art?

4605265
Rated Ponystar wrote a sidestory that take place after bonus chapters with Philomena. It is about Her and Twilight participating in "April Foal's Day"

The link should be in author notes, have fun.

4606642

Maybe, but do it is as cute as Twiny “Shmerrrr.” she make with her small mouth?

4607650
:ajsmug:

4607718
Twilight is mature pony, but sometime act a bit childish. I guess that is the result of being tiny, isolated of outside world for quite long time and also adventuring everyday.

But yea, grown up or not, she need a hug from time to time.

4607743
How is being relaxed while lying on a hard stone a proof for anything?

4608181
Sadly some chewing was involved (Celestia like to feel pleasure of eating the cake, so no way around it).

4608431
A birthday party no pony will ever forget. Also, I think Celestia will never eat another cake in her entire life.

4608594
This is a reason why she must keep her emotions and power under control all the time. Lossig her temper ever so slightly may cost a pony his/her life.

4609113
Final bonus contain a sneak peek to the sequel prologue alongside announcment. Also, did you read the sidestories? (April foal's day that happen after Philomena's arrival and My Little Medic that take place before Birthday Party chapter) ?
Also, I think you are one of rare people who thought she was dead. Celestia is far to powerful to be taken out by one bomb.

4610433 In fact, whenever I look for a good romance and not just clop, I look for Changeling stories. I swear, I've read every story over 50k words about Changelings on here.

Holy ****, I just looked at the list of groups this story has... Just, so many groups...

4611028
You do realize that that was what I said? I just said that Twilight did a bad job of explaining it.

4610023
Twilight: It... it is not what you think :twilightblush:

4610357
Waiting you will. The questioni is, do this waiting will take forever in case you are wrong?

4610505
Lol.

4610559
I searched for most of them. It took a while.

4611028
Pretty much.

4611123
The match is not over yet. Philomea will have her glorious comback in April Foal's Day.

4611270 4611339
Yea. Celestia is still more of a teacher rather than mother figure ad it blind her to some things, also, she already tried everything, but no matter how much she praise and assure Twilight for her accomplishments, the little mare still see her as perfect ruler while she herself is just her little pony, as side effect, she believe that she is replecable and may not deserve to be Celestia's protege.

Also, besides Twilight's fear of becoming big again, she believe that being small can teach her a lot, and want to stay small until her studies are over. Celestia probably not want to be forceful and let Twilight decide when the time is right on her own.

And yea, learning how to control her magic is important, but every character have their flaws, and in Twilight's case, she prefer to use easier solution and restrain herself with size so she can use all her power all the time rather then foce herself to use only little bit of it. Even Twilight can be selfish sometime.

4612294
Actually right now Twilight is 20 years old, I think if I remember correctly.
Also, you should read "My Little Medic" as it is side story to it, you will see once you finish chapter 20 (camping trip).

4615197
He didn't mean it, how could he know that Twiny just happen to trap herself in an oval and be baked inside a giant cake?
And I am sure he is feeling very sorry for it.

4619296
You can find more on my Tiwny arts blog (I collected all tiny arts I could find in deviant art in there).

4620321
:eeyup:

4621487
Fleur and Fany sure are lovely couple and quite level headed for the nobles (they are still snobish, but it is a given considering their rank).

4621887
This, or she just like teasing others and use food methaphors for the fun of it.

4621985
I think this is how Celestia translate if every morning.

Comment posted by 19jburner deleted Jul 2nd, 2014

Ok, i'm gonna read this one first, then do the Medic in a bit, and hopefully I can get a few chapters into Librarian.
So yeah, let's get started!

WELL THAT WAS A GOOD CHAPTER, TIME FOR MEDIC!!
No jk, we're actually doing this

“Nothing of the sort. I’m just preparing for an important assignment,” Twilight replied cheerfully, giving her assistant a smile.

Oh no, i'm scared now.

Twilight let out an exasperated groan. “Tomorrow is the Summer Sun Celebration! It’s going to take place in a town not far from Canterlot—Ponyville, I think—but the point is that I’m responsible for overseeing the preparations for the celebration.

:D
Wait, she's overseeing a major event? I thought that the we- OH WAIIIIIIT.. Nevermind.. Derp mode was on

Twilight looked at Spike desperately as he tried his best to think of an appropriate response. “Umm... free food?” he replied hesitantly.

Free food sounds nice right now! These corn dogs just ran out.. COME HERE CHICKENS!!

“It means that I am on my first royal assignment! Princess Celestia is entrusting me with a duty for the first time,

Wow a lot of reactions from this little bit, getting off track.
Hold on, let me see if this is actually canon (Sorry, just need to make sure)
Eh whatever, too lazy to find a clip that isn't removed by Hasbro already.But I am sure that this may be the first time that Twi did this.

Why am I listening to Gypsy Bard, and Pinkie's Brew?

For the first time since I became her apprentice, I can prove myself useful to her, and I must prove myself useful!”

Didn't you already do that? Like twice or something?

Twilight replied, shuddering from the images of a ruined celebration and a giant, disappointed princess glaring down at her as they flashed through her mind.

Don't worry Twi, some other ponies think the same of Tia that she'll hate you for a simple thing. Like fluttershy! Oh no wait, she was introduced to those thoughts because of Twi..

“First off, it’s Ponyville, and yes, you are correct.

Wait, so this isn't really canon, is it? I mean, Twi was already a resident in the Canterlot Library when she was sent over to ponyville to be in charge of the SSC in Ponyville when she was normal size. So is this a previous SSC? But wouldn't the SSC be rotated around the cities of Equestria? But then with NMM coming very soon and Tia being somewhat scared that she's coming so soon means that there would barely be enough time for that to happen, or not at all! So would this be canon?

Just today, Silver Scroll informed me about my assignment and left a list of tasks to do and places I need to inspect. She said that I’ll be staying at the local library, but I need to be prepared,"

OH NO THE EPISODES ARE HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!! We're just prepping for it!
But does she know about NMM yet?

Spike asked, as Twilight buried herself in her new find, a picture of the moon emblazoned on its cover.

And now she finds the tale.

Alright good chapter, TTYL, gonna go read Medic now, GTG, so yeah, byeee, OMG

4631568

Oh no, i'm scared now.

There is no need to be scared :twilightsheepish:

Didn't you already do that? Like twice or something?

Example?

Don't worry Twi, some other ponies think the same of Tia that she'll hate you for a simple thing. Like fluttershy! Oh no wait, she was introduced to those thoughts because of Twi..

Pretty much. Still, having a giant sized mighty alicorn glaring at her miniscule posture with disapointment must be a really scary image.

Wait, so this isn't really canon, is it? I mean, Twi was already a resident in the Canterlot Library when she was sent over to ponyville to be in charge of the SSC in Ponyville when she was normal size. So is this a previous SSC? But wouldn't the SSC be rotated around the cities of Equestria? But then with NMM coming very soon and Tia being somewhat scared that she's coming so soon means that there would barely be enough time for that to happen, or not at all! So would this be canon?

I think you are confusing everything. This is the SSC from the show (the same time and NMM is returning).

Alright good chapter, TTYL, gonna go read Medic now, GTG, so yeah, byeee, OMG

Have fun, but do not rush it. Even if there are many chapters to read, uploading new chapters will take weeks at best.

doesn't it say that she's the size of a large rat? the image shows her about the size of an average dormouse. so which is it?

4634732
Large rat obviously as it is stated in the story.
The author of the art drawed it as cover for my story, but he got the size wrong (not that I complain as Twilight look on it really adorable).

4636072 Ok, thanks for the clarification. :pinkiehappy:

4637657 I may be wrong and she may be a thestral like you said, but i'm going with my changeling theory, only time will tell i guess.

I usually don't comment much, but I did an analysis and review on your story in
http://grimwolfden.tumblr.com/post/90689272217/review-and-analysis-celestias-tiny-student-by

4637996 Having finished this just now and knowing her reaction to the want it need it spell, your changeling theory makes much more sense than my thestral theory

4638135

During Twilight’s magic surge at her exam in the School for Gifted Unicorns, Celestia Decides to use a shrinking spell instead of trying to calm down the little filly, and the life for the little unicorn will never be the same.

Actaully she tried to calm her, but Twilight was about to blown herself up from inside, so she had to shrink her, also, "Decides" is capitalized for no reasons.

The Story is really good

"Story" capitalized for no reason.

Thanks for the nice review by the way, though I am surpriced that you didn't put to much negative in it since usually reviews have both props and flaws.

Also, why do the Audio Book make me think of Portal.

4638978 4639266

Also, does this make Celestia an accidental cannibal?

:eeyup:

4640162

Thanks for the commenting on the errors, I have the tendency to capitalize some words, and since the corrector do not mark them as error is hard for me to recognize them.

There is no much sense in pointing the negative aspects of the stories. Reviewer should talk about what the stories have, and not in what they lack. "Good" and "Bad" are always subjective terms, they depends on each individual. For someone who wants to read a cannon Twilight this will be a bad story, and for someone who wants to read a more extroverted Twilight this will be a great story.

The audiobooks were made with text-to-speech software, they used a synthetic voice. Obviously a dramatic reading would be much better, but for this story it would take around 10 hours or more to make a dramatic reading. For the TTS software it takes less than 15 minutes to create 30 chapters.

4642120 ik, I just recently realized that it wasn't about twine:derpytongue2:

4642669
wow, I never thought about that.

4663063
In my headcanon, alicorn's posses their own unike magic alongside mix between magic of earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi (they are jack of all trades with superiour endurance and raw power).

Just like pegasi, they can fly, they have strength and connection with the earth like earth ponies and they can cast spells like unicorns. However while they can rival earth ponies and pegasi in terms of strenght, farming and flying, they are faaaaar above unicorns in term of raw power, and their endurance is far greater than the one of earth ponies (or else they would not survive their own powerful spells).

In this story, alicorns have pegasus magic mostly focused in their wings, that is why their wings are far bigger then a pegasus one (this magic also make them lighter while flying and running), earth pony magic is focused in their hooves and muscles, making them strong and give connection to the earth (alicorn's muscle structure is similar to earth ponies). In terms of casting spells, alicorn's bones are like unicorns, support channeling of their magic, while longer and bigger horns help them cast very powerful spells. However alicorns also have their own unike magic, which not only let them cast powerful spells that even the most talented unicorns cannot or struggle to cast, but also greatly improve their endurance, so even with more fragile bones than earth ponies, they are nearly undestructable as long as their inner magic protect them.

I know that it sounds complicated (and sorry for my grammar), but this is the best answer I can give you on a spot.

4681167
Celestia is used to keeping a regal image for over thousand of years, and surely shrinking herself would not be something the princess would do unless in crisis. Until Twilight asked to let her stay small and point out how fun it is, only now Celestia started to consider shrinking herself.

Sure, she could have done that in pass to comfort and teach Twilight on the same level, but it never crossed her mind, and I wouldn't call it a terrible character flaw.

but there are character flaws that just simply make me want to brain them from their own shortsightedness as it progressed and the problems with the timeline

Well, everyones have their own opinion. I cannot make everyone reading this story happy. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations.

At this point I think I'm going to drop this series and give a mental evaluation of a character I promised months ago.

What do you mean, "give a mentral evalucation of a character you promissed months ago? I don't remember that.

4611683
(sorry for late reply, I didn't get a notice that you replied to it.)

Well that's all the more reason that I would think she would be agitated, she already said it like 100 times and Twilight still doesn't get it. I would expect her to get a bit exasperated with it and that now she will literally shout it to Twilight that she will never replace her.

but isn't being forceful her job? both as a teacher and as a ruler?

well, maybe you should have a character point that out to her. That she will be challenged when she big again and that it's actually quite pathetic that she is scared of it.

4707310
I am afraid that with so many members on each team, Twilight would have hard time to make this trap work only for Celestia (one of her team members would activate it instead).

4718279
I am unsure it will be happening anytime soon. All you can do is read futher into the story and see what happen, but I do not quarantee that it may happen.

4721294
Fixed, thanks for pointing it out.

4721451
Alicorn's are capaible to live purely on their inner magic, so even with no food, water, oxigen and in cold of space, and even under weaker gravity, Nightmare Moon can still excersize from time to time. (And she can use gravity spells to increase her own weight, countering Moon's weak gravity).

I doubt Nightmare Moon would bother to train everyday, but she could still excersize to deal with boredoom. Celestia need to stay in good shape to counter it.

4721563
what point of mine are you referring to?
Someone calling out Twilight on being immature? Or Celestia getting fed up with Twilight being scared of her.

Well, this was a fun story. Can't believe I read it all in one sitting.

4775414
What about side stories ( little medic and april foals day) and the sequel (tiny librarian). Have fun with them.

Also, congratulation for being 1100 person who upvoted this story. 1100 is such a nice number.
And there are also over 1100 comments, so it is a nice mix.

4804076
I would not say that, but it is still a possibility.

4811754
Glad you enjoyed it. By the way. Did you read sidestories like "April Foal's Day" or "My Little Medic"?

4827508
White Path sure is one funny colt.

4828415
The protection spell works only on shrunken target, and just to some degree.

For example, as long as Twilight shrunk herself to less than 1/8 her own mass, her strenght, magic and endurance double. If she shrink herself to less than 1/2 of her size, her strength, magic and endurance increase between 1% and 99% (basically if Twilight don't shrink herself to less than 1/8 her mass, protection spell will have weaker effect the bigger she is. On normal size it just don't work. (Shrinking spell is like dumping extra mass in pocked dimenshion, protection spell just use little bit of this extra mass and compact it into Twilight).

The limit why it can only double Twilight's status is because compacting mass is extremely dificult process.

4828508
Pretty much.

Login or register to comment