• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 36,068 Views, 2,154 Comments

Celestia's Tiny Student - CommanderX5



Twilight is unable to control her powers during the entrance exam to the School for Talented Unicorns, and in order to reduce the damage caused by her power surges, Celestia shrinks her down until she would later learn how to control her powers.

  • ...
73
 2,154
 36,068

Ch13 - Magic Duel

Celestia’s Tiny Student

-

Chapter 13

Magic Duel


After a few months of training, Celestia and her student were once again in the combat simulation area of the guard barracks. It was a big spacious area, resembling a colosseum with no ceiling or floor, surrounded by several sitting tables mounted on the fifty meter high walls. The walls itself were enhanced by Princess Celestia herself to withstand even the most fearsome training, as pegasi guards had the tendency to make holes in an unenhanced surface through sheer force, while most offensive spells utilized by unicorns could penetrate even the hardest steel. The measures eventually helped to save Celestia hundreds of thousands of bits that would have otherwise gone into repairs and replacements.

Twilight sat behind Celestia’s ear as she entered the area, shooting questions to her mentor excitedly. “What’re we going to train today, Princess? Target practice? An obstacle course? Or perhaps another lesson about arcane barriers from my brother?” The entire subject of combat magic was fascinating to her, and training alongside other guards let her learn more about her B.B.B.F.F’s job.

“Not exactly, my faithful student. Today, we’re going to run a combat simulation,” Celestia replied firmly. Besides the slight trembling she could feel on her ear, Twilight remained silent, so she elaborated a bit further. “Well… That’s how Brave Blade would put it. I’d prefer to call it a magic duel.”

“P-p-princess? A m-magic d-d-duel?” Twilight said hesitantly, her fear evident in her trembling. Despite her considerable raw power, there was no way she would stand a chance against an experienced Royal Guard, especially an experienced and gigantic Royal Guard.

“Yes, my little student. I don’t expect you to win, but I would like to see what you are capable of,” Celestia said enthusiastically as Twilight gulped, now hiding behind her mentor’s transparent rainbowlike mane.

“W-who will be m-my op-p-ponent ?” Twilight asked with growing fear.

Celestia giggled lightly. “I will be your opponent, my faithful student.”

Twilight eyes went wide for a few seconds before she teleported away to the closest thing to hide behind, her hooves covering her trembling face. It was one thing to be strong and brave. It was quite another to face off in a duel with the mighty goddess of the sun, who could vaporize anypony with a simple solar flare.
Celestia chuckled, walking towards her little student’s hiding spot. “Please don’t be afraid of me, my little faithful student. I will be careful not to harm you… Well… no more than you usually hurt yourself on your own, anyways,” Celestia joked, using her hoof to lightly touch her student’s trembling back.

Twilight took her hooves away from her face as she gazed upon the giant eyes of her mentor. She took a deep ‘gulp’ before answering, “B-but how can I duel against you, Princess? You’re so powerful,” Twilight tried to explain, before she lowered her voice to a whisper, “and I am so small.”

Celestia chuckled again as she lit her horn, Twilight easily recognizing the spell. “The shrinking spell, Princess?”

Twilight stared at her shrinking mentor, who was becoming smaller and smaller before her eyes. After a few seconds, her mentor had the same size as herself. Celestia opened her eyes and looked directly across into her student’s. “Does this answer your question, Twilight Sparkle?”

Though, the fear that the mentor would crush her like an insect was slightly abated, Twilight still had butterflies in her stomach. After all, the very idea of hurting the princess made her feel uneasy. “Y-yes, it does.”

For a moment, Twilight and Celestia stared at one another, Celestia still grinning broadly as Twilight gave her a hesitant smile. “Twilight, I want you to promise me something,” Celestia asked sincerely.

“Anything,” Twilight replied.

“Promise me...” Celestia said, pausing as her voice shifted into one of authority, “that you will fight against me without hesitation. Don’t go easy on me just because I am your mentor and princess.“

Twilight made a step back, shocked by the princess’ request. “B-b-but... princess, I don’t want to hurt you. P-please, don’t ask such a thing from me,” Twilight replied, her voice increasingly infused with her growing panic.

“Twilight Sparkle, as Ruler of Equestria, I order you to do your best in this duel,” Celestia said, her expression serious and her tone even more commanding.

“P-princess... please, I don’t want to. Don’t ask me to do this. Please!” Twilight plead desperately, her fear for Celestia’s safety beginning to overshadow her own.

Celestia closed her eyes and spoke proudly. “Twilight, for half a year, I have joined you in many harsh, but enjoyable, adventures. We’ve both suffered a lot of hardship side by side, and you should know that I can handle whatever you throw at me.”

Twilight still didn’t like the idea of hurting her mentor, but she had to agree, that even with her size reduced, Celestia was still powerful. “Are... are you going to cast a protection spell on yourself before we start?” Twilight asked hesitantly.

“No, I won’t,” Celestia stated firmly as her student looked at her, confused and disbelieving. “As an alicorn, I already have an unfair advantage over you. Also, I plan to use my wings for the duration of this duel, which is even more reason that I do not need to have yet another advantage,” Celestia said, before she assumed a fighting stance, her determined eyes staring straight at Twilight.

Twilight opened her mouth to protest, but Celestia quickly cut her off. “Brace yourself my faithful student,” she said, before her horn lit with magic.

Celestia spread her wings and took to the air, as she shot a golden beam of pure energy. Twilight did not waste a second, bringing up her magic as she erected a purple barrier around herself. Despite being the same size as her student and without the protection spell boosting her own magic, Celestia’s raw power began to crack Twilight’s barrier, which had turned into a blazing white as her beam strengthened.

The purple bubble shattered, and thanks to her reflexes, Twilight narrowly dodged the beam as it slagged the floor beneath her. The princess had began to aim for her next attack, but as she expected, Twilight vanished in a flash of magic. Celestia looked around, doing her best to locate her student as her wings kept her aloft. Or, at least, until she felt a piercing pain in one of them.

***

Twilight expected that her mentor would easily break her shield. After observing the hottest spot on her barrier, she evaded the attack and teleported behind an obstacle, hiding herself from her mentor’s view as she charged and aimed her own magical attack. Striking her mentor’s wings, Twilight seized the opportunity as Celestia fell and charged another attack, calculating her mentor’s falling trajectory to determine where to fire.

Celestia flapped her wings in an attempt to slow down her fall, but another beam of magic struck her in the back before she regained balance, the force of impact sending the tiny princess flying like a bullet until she crashed into the ground.

Celestia tried to stand up as her student appeared in front of her in a flash. “Princess... are you alright?” Twilight asked, the concern in her voice only making her mentor even more determined.

“Twilight, you should be attacking me now when you have the advantage. I told you to not to hold back,” Celestia growled angrily, annoyed mostly with her own fall rather than her student’s hesitation. Celestia shot a warning attack a few millimeters to the side of her student’s head. “We are in duel, Twilight Sparkle, and I expect you to treat it seriously. This is your only warning. My next attack will not miss.”

Twilight sighed, resigned to her fate. Wasting no time, she tackled Celestia as quickly as she could, using her opponent’s slow reflexes to her advantage. Not giving her foe even a moment, she slammed her mentor into a nearby rock with her telekinesis, causing it to rock back and forth. The princess’ head made a sharp impact against the hard stone, creating a large fracture across its surface.

“Princess!” Twilight screamed fearfully for her mentor, until a golden aura wrapped around the stone and hurled it straight at her. She jumped reflexively to the side as the immense rock grazed her flank, plowing into the ground and bouncing a distance away.

Certain that the princess was not badly injured, Twilight charged another spell. A ray of turquoise shot from her horn, encasing half of her mentor’s body in ice. “Please princess,” she said, “I really do not want to fight you—”

Mere moments later, Twilight quickly regretted her decision to let her guard down as a ten kilogram boulder, shining in brilliant gold, smashed her into the ground.

***

Celestia’s mane burst into flames, and the ice around her melted into a puddle at her hooves. She slowly walked towards her student, keeping her pinned to the ground with the boulder. “Twilight Sparkle, despite your small size, I do not look down on you. I respect you, as you are a very strong, brave and intelligent student. By being afraid to hurt me, by hesitating because I am your mentor and ruler, you show disrespect to my power. You treat me as if I’m weak, defenseless and fragile. Is that how you view me?” Celestia asked determinedly, hoping that her student, trapped under a stone, wouldn’t notice the tears forming in her eyes.

Celestia knew that her student chose a path where everything can only make her stronger, and despite feeling terrible for adding to her student’s suffering, she knew it would prepare her for any hardship she may experience in the future. The only thing she wished for right now was the privilege to share the pain her student felt. “Y-you... are... p-powerful, m-mighty... s-s-strong,” Twilight said painfully.

“Then show me!” Celestia yelled as she put even more pressure into the stone she was using to crush her student, and Twilight could feel her body being pushed even deeper into the ground. “Show me that you respect me!”

Twilight lit her horn and disappeared in a flash, the stone crushing her now crashing into empty space. Celestia turned, predicting that her student would teleport behind her, but this knowledge proved useless as a purple beam of magic hit her straight in the chest, sending her crashing against the very same rock she had used just moments before.

Celestia opened her eyes, leaning against the stone with her student standing in front of her on trembling hooves. Celestia could see determination in her eyes and her horn was fully charged, ready to be used. Celestia lit her horn to create a barrier around herself, but the moment before she could cast it, she was jerked closer to Twilight by a purple aura. The moment the barrier finally went up, she had trapped herself with her opponent.

Twilight did not give her mentor any moment to breathe. She turned around and kicked her mentor with her two hind legs, sending her into her own barrier.

Twilight was about to kick her mentor again into the wall, but Celestia quickly redirected her magic from the barrier and caused her luminescent mane to burst into flames the moment Twilight’s hooves where about to make contact with it, forcing Twilight to jump away with a few burn-marks on her hooves. As the temperature around her mentor rose, Twilight focused her magic onto the stone behind Celestia and trapped her under it instead, once again disrupting her mentor’s concentration.

With a battlecry, Celestia pushed her magic outwards, destroying the rock and showering the arena with tiny pebbles.

Momentarily stunned, Twilight was unable to respond when Celestia’s telekinetic grab took hold of her and she was thrown at sonic speeds towards the nearest wall.

***

Twilight had practiced her levitation spell far more than any other unicorn did, and suffice it to say that she knew every single weak point of this spell.

As soon as she was wrapped in her mentor’s telekinesis, Twilight wasted no time in teleporting to the coordinates she had calculated in advance. She disappeared in a flash, just barely before the impact, and reappeared directly behind Celestia, maintaining her original velocity so that her shoulder flew straight into her mentor, using herself as if she was a bullet.

Celestia collided hard with the wall, but quickly teleported herself on a small viewing balcony far above them to regain her balance; also taking advantage of a higher viewpoint to locate her student again.

In another flash, Twilight appeared right next to her again and, without allowing Celestia time to react, plowed into her with yet another spell.


For over fifteen minutes, Twilight and Celestia continued their duel, the tiny unicorn mostly on the offensive, hoping to break through the powerful alicorn magic protecting her mentor from deadly blows that would cripple another for life.

Despite having far more power than her student, Celestia failed to land many successful blows on Twilight, the tiny mare utilizing her superior reflexes, agility, and tactics to avoid many of the large spells that Celestia cast while landing the majority of her own strikes. It served as a warm reminder to Celestia of her own abilities back when she searched for Elements to defeat Discord, and when she faced new foes after his defeat, though she had little time to reflect on nostalgic times of adventure and excitement. It was still evident to her that everything her student had gone through, everything Twilight had experienced in past few years, was paying off.


Twilight, her body laced with injuries and lacerations her hoof bleeding openly, walked shakily towards her battered mentor. She was amazed at how much effort she had to put into opening even a single bleeding wound on her opponent, almost believing that nothing she did would be able to penetrate her divine flesh. Her mentor moved her own bleeding head and smiled at her, a gesture which Twilight happily translated as surrender.

Ignoring her extensive injuries, the little unicorn ran towards her mentor and embraced her in a tight hug. “Are you alright p-p-princess... I hope that I didn’t go too h-hard on... you,” Twilight said, her voice hoarse and weak. She pulled back, noticing the sad expression on her mentor's face as well as the bruises and cuts across Celestia’s body.

“Oh no, oh no! I shouldn’t have done this. I was too violent, and I hurt you so badly. I’m sorry!” Twilight screamed, panic once again prevalent in her tone. “I-I deserve to be locked in the dungeon! Or-or-or banished! Or—”

“S-stop talking n-nonsense!” Celestia replied harshly, as her watery eyes focused on her student. "Twilight... y-you have d-done nothing w-wrong...”

Twilight helped her mentor sit up, as she herself sat silently in front of her, giving the princess time to catch her breath. After the world stopped spinning, Celestia focused her full attention upon her student, who was too afraid to look her in the eyes. “Congratulations Twilight...you won,” the princess said calmly, capturing Twilight’s attention.

“N-n-n-no... I didn’t win, I’m almost out of my magic while you are still in such prime condition! Princess, it is a draw at best.”

Celestia glanced at her wounds and then back at her student, giving a weak smile. “I must look pathetic,” she said.

Twilight jumped in front of her, pouting in protest. “That’s not true! I mean, yes, you look a little beat up with all those wounds, but you’re still wonderful and majestic. I am sure that after medical assistance and a good shower—” Twilight said urgently, but was cut off by her mentor’s hoof.

Celestia shook her head. “That is not what I meant, Twilight. It is not my beauty and appearance I am concerned about; I can easily hide these wounds from my subjects with simple illusion.”

Twilight felt confused as to what her mentor meant, until she came up with another conclusion. “Is something bothering you, Princess?” Twilight asked, curious and more than a little regretful for the injuries she had inflicted.

“Yes, Twilight. Throughout all of your training under my wing, you’ve showed me nothing but strength and resolve. Today, I tried to show you mine. I tried to show you that your mentor is not afraid to experience pain, to fight for her subjects if necessary,” Celestia said, her voice firm even as she leaned to the side to spit out a bit of blood. “You’ve always made me proud of you... yet I cannot return this favour.”

Twilight shook her head. “But you did, Princess. You showed me an incredible display of power and fought very hard to the very end—” Twilight began, but was cut off by her mentor once again.

“A battle where I acted as nothing but a target for your own skills and magic,” Celestia said, her deadpan voice betraying an injured pride.

Twilight’s eyebrows raised as she quickly attempted to assuage the princess’ feelings. “That wasn’t your fault! I won only because you have given me so many advantages. Not only that, you shrunk yourself to my size, and you didn’t even use the protection spell.”

Celestia just shook her head again and frowned. “My dear student, please, don’t try to give excuses for my failure. During this fight, I outclassed you in both raw power and endurance, yet you won, because you used your power better and more wisely,” Celestia replied firmly.

“But Princess! Unlike me, you don’t have time to waste on small adventures and training sessions. You have an entire country to lead,” Twilight pointed out.

“If leading Equestria is all I’m good for, then maybe I don’t deserve my power. What good is such a position for, outside of raising the sun and moon?” Celestia said, her voice neutral.

“Princess, you led Equestria into an era of peace and prosperity. No pony expects you to do the job of a Royal Guard,” Twilight said, hoping for a change in subject.

Celestia sighed, staring unseeingly as memories resurfaced. “There was a time when Equestria was in constant danger, Twilight. Back then, I wasn’t even nearly as powerful as I am now. But I could protect my subjects against all odds. All the experience that I’ve gathered in these thousands of years have helped me to become a better ruler, to make the right decisions and to find solutions to problems many, many years in advance. But will I still be able to protect my subjects now? Will I still be able to face a threat head-on?”

After she said those words she took a sharp intake of air as an image of her sister’s innocent face flashed through her mind. After our trials had passed, when we tried to unite our little ponies, it was Luna who was the braver and more frightening one. She always faced the enemy herself to ensure the ponies’ safety, while I focused more on politics and governing, Celestia thought, as she realized that she had been taking less and less of a role in fighting a threat and more in guiding her ponies to deal with it. Luna and I are like polar opposites. While I started to stand on the sidelines and surround myself with paperwork and public appearances, she fought monsters at night and helped ponies directly. The safety of Equestria, something my sister worked so hard to maintain that I took for granted.

Celestia lowered her head in shame, much to Twilight’s worry. No wonder she let Nightmare Moon take over her body to rebel against me. My subjects and I wouldn’t respect her hard work until it was too late.

After Celestia convinced Twilight that there is nothing to worry about, she and her student had a short discussion before Celestia returned her own miniature size back to normal. Soon after, Celestia teleported herself and Twilight to the royal hospital where their wounds were treated.

Twilight however, despite the princess’ affirmations that all was alright, began thinking of what she could do to heal her mentor’s wounded pride.


Celestia had originally developed a plan to capture her sister upon her return so she could separate Luna from Nightmare Moon. The day Twilight became her student, she had changed her plans. Instead of capturing Nightmare Moon, she would weaken her in battle to a point where she would be unable to stop Twilight and the other element bearers from passing her trials and unlocking the Elements of Harmony. In the end, they would free Luna from the poisonous influence of Nightmare Moon.

Back then, Celestia expected that, being as powerful as Nightmare Moon, she would have no trouble weakening her, with or without the help of her guards. But after fighting to a stalemate with her student when she had the clear advantage, Celestia understood that she could not stand a chance against her sister, and many guards would pay with their lives for her weakness. Celestia needed to become strong again, and with only two years to prepare for combat, before Nightmare Moon returned, she could not afford to waste any time.

Author's Note:

Sub author:
Kydois - High Quality editing, 100% of the chapter.

Editors:
Kritziebomelu - Medium Quality editing, 100% of the chapter.
Frozen Ice King - Quick basic editing

Pre-reader:
Rated PonyStar - Advices