• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 4,904 Views, 357 Comments

My Dear Shy - Life in Equestria - Keeper-of-Harmony



Rick Gartners begins a new and vivid life in a mythical world he knows not much of.

  • ...
18
 357
 4,904

Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Date - Part Two

Author's Note:

Yup, story is still alive. I've had to deal with a lot of things that I couldn't afford any time on this chapter. For two years, in fact.

Anyway, hope I'm not too rusty. There'll be a part three to conclude 'The Date'. Enjoy.

Twilight and I remain seated on her sofa, taking deliberate sips out of our teacups. I would sometimes throw her a sideways glance, and she would do the same and add in a friendly smile, which I match hers with a cordial smile of my own.

This is my heaven without all those noisy animals and Discord's occasional pranks (funny as they may be).

"Is that why you're looking for a place of your own?" Twilight asks.

Chagrined, I exhale an exasperated sigh. The serenity of this place has gotten me thinking too clearly.

"Yes," I confirm. "But that doesn't mean I didn't love spending every moment with my daughter."

"I never would question it. I get where you're coming from, Rick," Twilight says reassuringly. "There's only so much you can tolerate before it starts negatively affecting your psyche."

"When you have friends like Pinkie Pie, I can imagine," I chuckle. Twilight giggles.

"She's quite the enigmatic character."

I can think of another 'pink' character with an "enigmatic mindset".

"That, I wholeheartedly agree." I take a quiet sip before continuing. "And I'm sure you can imagine how chaotic it can be at my dear Shy's cottage, especially when Discord often visits."

"Oh, for sure," Twilight agrees. "Discord also tends to unexpectedly and inexplicably visit on... unseasonable circumstances," she adds with an embarrassed blush. I'd inquire what she means yet at the same time my intuitiveness suggests it'd be best not to.

"I'll bet. Not much happens around your place, does it?" I ask.

"Oh, how I wish I could tell you that," Twilight chuckles nervously. "The only pet I have here is Owlowiscious, and he's not much of a talker or a troublemaker. Thank goodness. Spike can cause a mishap here and there. But he's young and quickly learns from his mistakes. Almost every day is an adventure of sorts.

With her teacup coated in her violet, sparkly aura, Twilight brings it up to her lips to sip the remainder of her tea before gently setting it down on its respective saucer.

"Pleasant days like this are a rare occurrence," Twilight continues. "Some time ago, back when I used to be a filly, before Spike hatched out of his egg, I spent several of my filly years at Celestia's castle where I had quietude and a massive library of books to myself. In short, it was a bookworm's paradise. Well, my paradise."

"And that's the kind of thing I'd want. I'd like to live a quiet life and get to do stuff I'm interested in," I prattle on. "However, that won't be possible until I get a house permit. Have you heard anything from Princess Celestia about it?"

"I haven't. Though you should be thoughtful about what Celestia goes through. You may not know it, but she's been preoccupied with serious affairs and royal duties such as conciliations, writing laws, and so forth," Twilight says.

Her words strike some guilt into my conscience, and I hide my face behind my teacup to take a quick sip. Once I'm done drinking and reflecting, I lower the teacup and resume the conversation.

"My apologies for my ignorance. She's a very busy mare, isn't she?"

"Busier than you know, and I'm not exaggerating. Celestia bears a lot of responsibility. While she sleeps, Luna handles the nightly affairs in her place. I'd even say they have little to no time for themselves."

"Sheesh. How I would hate to be royalty." Twilight narrows her eyes at me. "Only speaking my mind. At least intentionally, this time." She drops the scowl and sighs exhaustingly.

"It's fine. I know these things well enough that I can handle it, what with all the friendship lessons that led up to this momentous attainment." She flares her pegasus wings as proof.

"Being a princess seems pretty stressful," I comment.

"It is," Twilight confirms. "Coffee and tea can only do so much to get me through the day without losing my sanity. Talking to you and drinking tea has been quite relaxing."

I give Twilight a wan smirk.

"Well, that makes me somewhat happy to hear that. Not many people, or ponies, seem to enjoy me or my company," I say.

"Surely you jest," Twilight argues. "If they get to know you better, I'm sure they would find you likeable and interesting. Sometimes it is best to go out and look for friends instead of waiting for them. You know, establishing a positive rapport with the townsfolk. How else would you have met Ditzy if you didn't go over to calm down Dinky?"

"You're right about that," I admit with a nod, briefly recalling the scenario. "Though I want to take it slow with the "making friends" stuff. I appreciate the support and everything, but I'd like to keep my list short if you get my meaning."

"I understand," Twilight agrees. "Best to do it at a leisurely pace and not tackle everything at once. I wouldn't want to overwhelm you since, as you've stated earlier, you've only been here for about a month. Take the time you need to adjust."

"Thanks. I appreciate the thoughtfulness."

"Anytime!" Twilight says with a beaming smile.

That said, Twilight and I drop into temporary silence. Silent enough that my ears can faintly hear the tick tock sounds of the cuckoo clock. Speaking of which, I briefly look at the cuckoo clock on the wooden wall to my right, the small hand between six and seven and the big hand almost on six. Sheesh. We talked for almost an hour and thirty minutes. I didn't think time would fly that fast just by chatting.

I don't know what else I should do, and given that Twilight hasn't spoken another word, she's probably thinking of a way to start up a different topic or subject. Even our teacups are empty, and the kettle must have run out of tea since she hasn't offered another refill. Soon the silence becomes an awkward silence as I look between my teacup and Twilight. I wonder if she's expecting me to say anything.

This is probably my best time to tell Twilight why I'm not particularly eager to play the violin. I could talk about other things until we'd get to the other things on her agenda. However, not only is it selfish, but it also puts my wants over hers. Twilight has been excited about this date and enthusiastic about getting to know me more. I even showed up late. What sort of imbecile promises their first date night and shows up late?

Me. I'm the imbecile.

It's just like with Tina; I never bothered to ask or understand how Tina felt about me. Twilight is right. I need to put the harsh past behind me and move on ahead; I shouldn't let my terrible memories stop me from playing the violin, especially when Twilight has been anxiously looking forward to it. Twilight also did say she spends most of her days writing paperwork now that she's a princess. Not to mention she does often get into perilous and whacky adventures.

It's the least I can do. She deserves it.

I raise my head to look at the alicorn and gulp down my anxiety.

"Twilight, I have to be honest with you, yet I'd like to ask two quick questions beforehand. If you don't mind."

"Sure," Twilight replies.

I turn my neck much as I can to look at the table's rectangular case (which I think is made out of black ironwood) on the table. "The case on the table there. Does it happen to contain a violin?"

"Yes," Twilight nods.

I return my gaze to Twilight. "I had a hunch." I hesitate to ask the second question, yet I press on anyway. "How badly do you want to hear me play the violin?"

"To tell you the truth, Rick, when I heard that sterling performance back at Canterlot, I really, REALLY wanted to hear another performance from you. I found it so... emotionally-moving, for lack of a better word."

"The adulation touches me. Truly," I say, grateful. The anxiety I pushed back returns even greater that it's making my stomach churn a bit. "If I have to be completely honest with you, Twilight, when I read your things-to-do list, I... dreaded upon seeing that you wanted me to play the violin."

Twilight's beaming expression twists into confusion.

"Dreaded?" Twilight asks, bemused.

"As in feared," I clarify, "and the reason as to why is..."

I narrate my embarrassing incident without putting in too much detail. There are some parts where I struggle to speak, especially on the wetting part. I bottle in my emotions to the best of my ability for the sake of my pride as a man. Twilight listens attentively and reacts appropriately. By the time I finish my story, Twilight scoots a couple of inches closer and comforts me by rubbing my forearm.

"Oh, Rick... I am deeply sorry you had to experience all of that," Twilight consoles. "Had I known sooner, I wouldn't have-"

"Hey, hey," I interrupt with a raised palm, "there's no need to stress over it. Initially my reason for telling you about it was I figured you'd give it a pass. But, after everything you said about focusing on the present, aiming to be a better man, and being considerate of others, I've decided to be put your interests above mine. After all, we made a deal, and I'm not the type of man to back out on it."

I stare at the alicorn as I hold her hoof with both hands before pulling her in for a hug.

"Thank you, Twilight, for listening and for your compassion."

"Y-you're welcome, R-Rick!" Twilight stammers, blushingly. She softly pats the back of my left shoulder with a hoof. "Although you should give a mare a warning next time!"

I release her and scoot back. "S-sorry. I tried to hold back my strength a bit."

"It's no trouble," Twilight reassures as she still has the blush on her visage. "It was pretty unexpected. If you used more muscle in that hug you would've broken my spine!" she jokes.

"Aw, you're such a kidder!" I laugh. "Anyway, now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's crack open that violin case!"

"Sounds good to me!" Twilight assents buoyantly.

Comments ( 1 )

Yay, resurrection! Zombie virus, black magic , judgement day? I don't care as long as story is alive again. :)

Login or register to comment