• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 4,885 Views, 357 Comments

My Dear Shy - Life in Equestria - Keeper-of-Harmony



Rick Gartners begins a new and vivid life in a mythical world he knows not much of.

  • ...
18
 357
 4,885

Chapter Ten

Once again here I was sitting quietly inside my daughter's cottage, in front of the brown desk table, lit candlestick to my left and ink bottle to my right, writing down a log of today's anomalous experience in the middle of the silent night - serenity and bliss which I'm always overly fond of. Quill squeezed firmly between my thumb and index finger, I quickly hovered the instrument over the ink bottle for a small dip and back to finish off a sentence with a solid-black period poked at the end. I let out a silent, tired yawn and scanned over the page for any errors or misspellings. Not one misspelling or flaw to be traced. Superb.

It was certainly one short adventure to remember, and hopefully my last. It's like I said, I very much preferred living a simple and tranquil lifestyle. But an unsettling sense was nagging me that there's more to come, no matter how much I resent the obnoxious feeling. Fluttershy though, I swear, is just the sweetest little angel. Turned out that her not acknowledging me as her father was the silly reason she was crying back at Twilight's tree house. Oh, how she begged me to forgive her. It was the darndest thing ever. I told her it was never her fault, to begin with. Though I later found out that it was Twilight's; she explained the situation which involved some sort of spell a wise old unicorn named Star the Swirly Bearded or whatever never finished, and when she tried solving it, she miscalculated to which entailed the cutie mark switch. But then I actually found out that it was Celestia who assigned Twilight with the task.

So if there was anybody to blame, it'd be Celestia. Why? Because I had to get out of bed early, meander around town and get lost in the process, meanwhile searching for a draconequus who had nothing to do with the whole mess only for naught. Zip. Nada. A whole day wasted on a wild goose chase. Someday. Someday, I'll get back at Celestia. It's a matter of convenience. Today was inconvenient, given my daughter and her friends were right there. Speaking of which, yeah, the celestial mare arrived during the same night after Twilight became an alicorn. I took this opportune moment to ask about the house permit and, get this, Celestia literally said in three days I am to attend a court meeting with her for the signature papers of homeownership. Unfortunately, that's only half the reason why I'd be going there... Somebody must have informed someone about me smashing a hole through Sugarcube Corner's wall, so Celestia added that I'd be attending court for paying the damage fee of twenty bits.

Fluttershy, as usual, insisted she'd cover the charges, but I swore an oath that I'd look for a job. I'll housekeep. I'll scrub windows. Heck, I'll even clean up pet crap, just so I can repay her.

Anything else? Hmm... Ah! What with Twilight's ascension, she'll be coronated as a legitimate princess, hence tomorrow's her coronation day. Was I cordially invited to be part of it? Evidently... by Twilight no less. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought, but I didn't exactly DO anything to partake in the ceremony. If it had to do with me taking care of Fluttershy on Earth, then I could see it as a plausible reason. But what really hooked me in was the buffet Twilight promised. Quality food prepared for royalty? Awesome. I didn't care if I was going to get scrutinized by wary glares; there was no way I'd turn down free food.

Since I had three days to wait for the house permits, I'm going with my dear Shy the day after tomorrow to the market valley in Ponyville to restock on animal supplies due to the reserve stock running low. I think we all know who was to blame for that... So it'd be about time Fluttershy and I get to spend some quality time together as human father and pony daughter. I mean, me at the market valley, carrying all the stuff while my dear Shy talks about her habits and hobbies she likes on a perfectly (non-threatening) normal day. That's a sobering thought for sure.

My ears caught the creaking, eerie sound of the wooden floor to the right. I grabbed hold of the candlestick over to the direction. The figure responsible for the noise stepped into the light. It was Fluttershy. Her pink tresses was an absolute tangled mess, a few strands were out of place, and so was her tail.

Her face scrunched from the candle's flickering flare.

"Dad..." said Fluttershy, her voice and tone dry from tiredness as she rubbed the bags underneath her eyes with a foreleg.

I closed the journal and pushed the chair away from the desk, shifting myself directly toward her.

"What's the matter, sweetie?" I whispered.

"I can't sleep. Do you mind if I..." her words trailed off as she softly fidgeted the floor with her hooves.

"Of course," I answered knowingly with a soft smile. This occasionally happens whenever she has a nightmare. She then won't go back to sleep and would ask of me to lay beside her until she does. It's... a bit complicated. I don't know what it is, but she feels a lot safer sleeping whenever I'm around. You could say I'm her personal teddy bear... I'm going to need to talk with her about this at some point.

With a free arm, I hoisted Fluttershy up and started taking her up the stairs. "Oooh," I huffed under the surprising strain of her weight. "No more cupcakes for you young miss."

"Mmm," Fluttershy lazily murmured in response, as if she barely heard what I said.

Finally, we reached the top, and thankful am I that Fluttershy left her door wide open. Half-asleep in my arm, I hobbled toward her bed. Her yellow coat and pink mane vibrantly glowed from the rays of the silver moonlight slitting past the cottage's window above her bed's headboard.

And so I tucked ourselves in underneath the cozy comforters and sheets, my legs poking out of the foot of the bed due to its dwarfish size. Fluttershy contently sighed as she snuggled herself closer to me, a heartwarming smile plastered on her features. I planted a soft peck on her forehead before I, too, drifted into slumber.