• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 4,887 Views, 357 Comments

My Dear Shy - Life in Equestria - Keeper-of-Harmony



Rick Gartners begins a new and vivid life in a mythical world he knows not much of.

  • ...
18
 357
 4,887

Chapter Twenty

I had undisturbed sleep throughout the rest of the day like Twilight told me to. I must admit, it worked like a charm. I woke up hours later right when night came and found myself a bit healthier than I was before. I didn't feel completely better, however, so I stayed in bed for precautious reasons. I had asked of Fluttershy if she were to retrieve my journal so I could write down a short log in my journal, which she did so and later had gone to the bathroom.

I am grateful for how loving and kind she is. Well, kindness is in her nature. Her element, in fact. Sure she can be naïve and at times act timid, but that is what makes me fond of her. There's nobody I knew on Earth that could level her kindness. I mean, of course there's nobody I knew that could since I never met anybody or knew anybody. I guess that's not entirely true. There was one person, and that was Tina.

Tina... I've always wondered how she was doing back on Earth. It must have been thirty years there since I've been here for, what, a month? She probably has wrinkles by now. Heck, how do I even know if she's still alive? On second thought, I don't know why I'd think that. She has to be, considering that she was in her twenties.

I still have memories of our last phone call. She sounded really upset over me leaving. To be honest, when she confessed her love to me, I almost hesitated on going. Yes, it pricked my heart a little, but it ached more for my dear Shy. I'm very sorry, Tina. I've already made my decision, and I wish not to dwell on this any further.

Oh! I forgot to mention that as soon as I recover, Fluttershy plans on taking me to the market for necessity shopping. That's how I called it, anyway. I was overjoyed because there's nothing I like more than to spend some quality time with my amazing-

I stop writing, tapping the feathery tip of the quill pen on my chin.

'No, no. Uh... How about...'

Beautiful-

I stop again as a frustrated groan rumbles from my throat.

'No, that's not it.'

I struck the pen on the paper again, eyes squinted in pure concentration.

Spectacular-

No! Dammit! How hard is it to remember one simple word? This is why I always write at the desk. I always preferred the desk. It's my 'thinking space'. Just like how people use the toilet as their thinking space. Don't question me on why. But on the bed I'm completely... My face then lights up.

'Wonderful! That's what I'm looking for!'

It's rather a shame for the wasted space. I've always bickered my other half to use a pencil, that way I can at least undo my mistakes.

Anyways. I was greatly looking forward spending some quality time with my wonderful daughter. It'd be a nice change of pace. I also need to remember that I have to visit Twilight for our first date, considering that we had to postpone it for an obvious reason. That, and my promise to play the violin for her...

I'll come clean: I never liked playing the violin. Nor did I enjoy the lessons when I was young.

In addition to the list of tribulations I've explained before, my hate for the violin started when my foster mother enjoined me to do a solo at a community talent show or something when I was probably around sixteen years old. Of course I inveighed against the proposition to perform on a stage in front of so many people I never met or cared for. My foster mother didn't take the response... well. She escalated it to a point where I was coerced, meaning that if I didn't do as she said I'd be stripped the privilege to gaming until I'd reach adulthood. In other words: until I'd become eighteen.

So what did I do? I did what I was told. And what happened afterwards? I ended up wetting myself. Not only was I abashed but I also became a laughingstock. My foster parents were utterly embarrassed and even reproached me while we drove back home. Ever since that uneventful day, I never wanted to play the violin again. If it weren't for Ditzy and Dinky's motivational push back at the buffet, I would have 'Arriba'd' out of there like Speedy Gonzales.

No matter how much I wanted to smash that cursed violin into millions of pieces, I didn't have the heart to do it; I didn't want to relive the moment where I have disappointed everyone; I didn't want my daughter to be disappointed in me.

It was after that performance, and when all those ponies gave me their applause, I had this strange sense of... Pride, was it? Or was it accomplishment like Rarity stated? It's that kind of feeling where one of the holes inside your heart has been filled. It's difficult to come up with the best word or phrase for it. It might come to me eventually. I don't know.

After punching the period at the end of my log, I put the quill back in the Inkwell and close the journal with a THAP! right as Fluttershy enters the room, her figure barely visible at the penumbra of candlelight.

"Done writing, Father?" Fluttershy asks quietly, tip-hoofing over to the bed.

"Yes," I reply evenly as quiet. I pull the nightstand's drawer open right of me, stash the journal inside, and close it with diligence.

Instead of fluttering to get on the bed, Fluttershy climbs up on it. Poor girl must be awfully tired. She crawls further up and nestles right beside me, resting her head on the other pillow. Her mouth opens to let out a squeaky yawn. Her cute, contagious yawn causes me to yawn as well.

I lean over to snuff out the candle's flame with a whistling blow, and the whole room instantly succumbs to utter darkness. I stretch both arms to grab the edge of the comforter and slide it over our bodies as I lean backward. As I fully lay down, Fluttershy shifts herself closer toward me. I can feel her muzzle bury itself between my neck and shoulder as she rests a foreleg across my chest. I stifle a chuckle.

"I'm not bothering you, am I?" Fluttershy whispers.

I smile as I brush her foreleg fondly. "No. Not at all," I whisper reassuringly.

"I love you. Goodnight, Father."

Her breathing grows steady before she falls asleep.

I close my eyes, whispering, "Love you too," before I fall asleep myself.