• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 4,886 Views, 357 Comments

My Dear Shy - Life in Equestria - Keeper-of-Harmony



Rick Gartners begins a new and vivid life in a mythical world he knows not much of.

  • ...
18
 357
 4,886

Chapter Twenty-Two

"And that's what happened," I say to my daughter.

My daughter's eyes narrow as a scolding frown forms on her muzzle. "Discord..." Fluttershy admonishes the spirit's name under an angry whisper. Off she goes, storming up the stairs where I presume she'll be ripping Discord a new one for the prank he pulled on me.

What? Did you think I was going to sit here and let the golden opportunity slip past me? Fat chance. Sure it's vindictive and immature of me to rat out on Discord like that, but it was rightfully done so as payback for my precious suit and pants. It may have been a good idea in hindsight, but now it's probable that Discord will get the one up on me whenever the timing's right.

I set the paranoia aside, for now, and kill time by relaxing on the green sofa. I carefully lay Dinky down and watch her sleep soundly on my stomach as her tail curls up around her tiny body. I'll admittedly say it's adorable, and seeing her like that has me recount the days when my dear Shy used to do the same thing, and she sort of still does to this very day.

It was quite amusing how Fluttershy not once tried to sleep anywhere but on the bed back on Earth. She was pretty insistent to be with her 'Daddy', never willing to sleep alone because of how she was too scared of the dark even when she was an adult. I suddenly remind myself of that time, when I first found her, that she was afraid of the closet. Heh. That memory gets a chuckle out of me every time.

Sure here she's grown to be an independent mare who also braved many perils and faced hardships that conditioned her for the better, but there have been instances where she would get startled slightly or freeze on the spot, either by calling her name or from a sudden sound. Not as often, mind you. It happens rarely. When it does, however, I would just smile as it'd remind me that she's still the timid daughter I raised and loved.

And now look at her: she's all grown up and is scolding a god of chaos. I can't tell you how proud I am for writing this down.

Unfortunately, in the middle of my musing, another cart has attached itself to my train of thoughts: concern. My head is instilled with an anxious foresight that should I snoop around the market, will I attract some glares and be glowered at? Undoubtedly. Not that it should be of any surprise, but hey, maybe today will be different. Maybe there are ponies in Ponyville who have heard my performance back at Canterlot and they could very well have spread a few good words about it.

It's a strong maybe, and a belief that I'm going to cling onto as I don't want to dampen my positive mood more than it already has after what happened upstairs...

Lots of other things race through my mind, one being that I will get to hang out and read with Twilight Sparkle as our first date. To be honest, it is something I am looking forward to. As it was stated: I really like how serene it is over there. Although one should expect it to be as it is a library. O-of course I'm comfortably fine with my daughter's cottage, too. Honest. At times though the rowdy noises tend to negatively affect one's disposition enough so that they'll lust after for some peace and quiet. Yours truly is guilty of that.

As of now, however, everything is blissful save for the morning birds chirping outside and inside. I stare up at the wooden ceiling, chewing over what else I will be doing other than reading with the nerdy alicorn. Well, there shouldn't be anything else to think about other than that, right? Why am I now just cogitating on something else besides reading with her?

'Dude, I can see what you are thinking. Stop...' my brain upbraids me with an audible shiver.

Do you honestly think I have that much restraint when I get too lost in my pondering? I retort.

'Yeah but that's a bit too far. I thought you wanted to keep things platonic?' my brain asks wryly.

It's not like I intended to! I reply defensively. It just randomly pops up!

'You do you. I'm not going to get involved in this any further. Just try to keep your cogitations at the bare minimum, alright?'

I roll my eyes. Okay, Mom... I scoff with a drawl.

After that... exchange with my annoying half, my gaze floats back down at the sleeping filly. Fondness encroaches me as I smile softly. I bring up a tender hand and rest it on the side of her belly, and one of her ears flick upon the contact. I proceed to let my hand sail along from her belly up to her rib and back tenderly as possible, her fur ticklish to my palm.

Dinky exhales through her nostrils as a contented smile stretches across her muzzle, a happy hum rumbling in her throat. In her sleep, the filly's head blindly searches for my hand, like a mole sniffing out for its wormy meal, and, once she has felt it, nuzzles my hand. Happiness and warmth swaddle my heart. My smile brightens further as I continue to pet the filly, and each time I do, I'm rewarded with another affectionate nuzzle.

"Daddy..." are the soft words that escape her lips. Again the warmth overcomes me that I refuse to stop petting her. A memory then floods my mind...


Outside I was laying on the grass on a warm and sunny afternoon, eyes closed, surrounded by the serenade of Mother Nature; the rustling of trees and creaking branches being caressed by the whistling breeze, accompanied by a nearby bird's chiming chirps. The fragrance of flowers filled the air as I inhaled through my nose. I then sighed out my contentment.

Blades of waving grass tickled my skin. I opened my eyes and am greeted by a pink and yellow butterfly fluttering above me. It gracefully descended unto my forehead. I vainly tried to look up to see it. However, I couldn't. Not that it mattered...

I brought my gaze down to another butterfly laid on my stomach... One that is most graceful and kind of all. I gently brushed her pink mane aside to get a view of her gorgeous face. The sunlight bouncing off her orbs gives them such a dazzling sparkle one's heart would melt upon seeing.

"Look at the pretty butterfly on your head, Father," Fluttershy giggles.

"Why look at it when I'm already looking at the most majestic butterfly..."


Something cold and wet running down my cheeks rouses me from my memory.