• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 4,886 Views, 357 Comments

My Dear Shy - Life in Equestria - Keeper-of-Harmony



Rick Gartners begins a new and vivid life in a mythical world he knows not much of.

  • ...
18
 357
 4,886

Prologue

Earth.

A planet where I was born on; a planet where I spent several of my years isolated in a house from everybody including my foster parents; a planet... I once called home. Why was it once called my home? Well, sit awhile for those who find this diary, and prepare yourselves for the unbelievable tale that lies within. A tale about my new life in a different world. My life... in Equestria.

It had been a whole month since my arrival here, a quaint yet peaceful place inhabited by talking, technicolored ponies whose culture can be almost compared to ours. When I used to be a child, I always held the belief that there were many different worlds out there other than ours. I was right, and never had I thought out of every one of them I would end up on this one.

But it was for a personal cause; the reason I'm here; the whole purpose I abandoned Earth for, was because of a certain pegasus. A butter-colored, pink maned pegasus to be exact. Her name is known as Fluttershy, my adopted and beloved daughter I had raised on Earth. If it weren't for her, my life wouldn't have turned so different; I would never have learned the passions of love and kindness.

However, now that I'm living in Equestria, things were going to be different. This world being full of mystical creatures that are mainly herbivorous, it'd be likely that I won't find any meat in town to buy. What I had to do, granted by Fluttershy's blessing, was catch fish just by using a thick stick carved as a spear with a rope tied at the end of it at a spot several miles from the cottage. It would take around half an hour walking to and another walking back from the path I chose, located on Equestria's Map

Following the course of the river (directly above Everfree Forest) flowing to the right would lead to a lake right of Ponyville which is where I fish at. The first time I brought my food back home, cooking it, Fluttershy wasn't too fond of the smell. So from that point, I had to bring along twigs and some flint to cook at the lake.

Continuing. Without my own home to live under, Fluttershy heavily insisted I'd stay in her house until Celestia can receive approval with the royal council to have the ponies build a house for me.

About the residents of Ponyville, the first time I was seen in their town let's just say their reactions were a bit... hysterical. They accused me of being an alien, which I figured it'd be natural of a reaction likewise. Some of them claimed me as some sort of monster or an animal due to my anatomy similar to an ape's, but the monster bit could be related to who knows what.

Celestia had to reassure her subjects I posed no threat or harm to them. While a few abide by their ruler's words, others remain wary whenever I'm around. I wouldn't blame them. I'm sure my world would react the same way if an alien was discovered. Whether it'd be a cartoon pony or whatever.

Anyway, Fluttershy begged for me to come live with her. Much as I didn't want to impose, I couldn't turn down those beautiful, piercing blue eyes of hers. It was every time I saw them I would remind myself of the timid filly I had raised on Earth, and I'd then perk up a gentle smile and pull her in for a hug.

Funnily enough, her friends; Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Spike, never knew all about Fluttershy in my world. Heck, I had to tell them the story of my years raising her. While we were surprised why Celestia, especially Twilight, hadn't explained to them how Fluttershy ended on Earth in the first place, we decided things were probably better left unsaid. Whatever the teacher and her student wanted to hide, I'll respect their discretion.

With that, I will stop writing here for tonight.

Here I sat on a little wooden chair in front of a brown desk table, both not fitted for my ginormous size, for what could have been countless hours in the middle of the night. To my right on the table was a tiny, half-full ink bottle, and pinched between my right hand's index finger and thumb was the quill to dip it in with. To my left was a golden candlestick. A speck of flame whose round, burning aura lit up little of the environment, casting shadows behind any solid object, including myself. I lightly pushed myself away from the table as I stretched, letting out a hushed yawn.

"Whew," I softly whistled in relief, quiet enough so that I wouldn't disturb the peace since Fluttershy was sleeping in her bedroom upstairs. "Guess I should finally hit the hay." I then lightly chuckled to myself from making that remark.

Closing the journal's cover, and dipping the quill back into its ink bottle, I carefully rose from the chair and grabbed the candlestick as I made the way through the darkness from downstairs to upstairs. I tiptoed with my heels raised with each careful step. The hardware floor of the stairs moaned and creaked under the pressure of my weight, but not loud enough to wake Fluttershy's creatures from their sleep.

I reached the top of the stairway and approached her bedroom door with even more caution. Opening the door slowly, I peeked in and saw the pegasus sleeping peacefully underneath her beds' covers that have shapes of butterflies sewn across them. I stood for a minute admiring the precious scenery. She was so content, so peaceful. Squinting harder, I noticed she had her olive-colored blanket held tightly in her hooves. It was her very first gift she received from me. I'm grateful I brought it with me. The sentimental value of it was probably what triggered her hidden memories.

I can't fully explain it, but when Celestia sent the blanket back with me it somehow still carried all the memories of Fluttershy and I, along with the feather that was tucked in there.

Coming back to reality from reminiscing, I shook my head and proceeded inward and closed the bedroom door behind me. I blew the candle out and placed it on a shelf, and went to lie down on the sleeping bag Fluttershy kindly had set out for me next to her bed. For a while I stared at the ceiling above me, contemplating if Celestia will have that house permit someday soon...

Slowly, my eyelids closed as I fell into slumber.