• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 2,891 Views, 38 Comments

Just A Taste - Gojira007



Applejack ponders her brief time with Rarity's Cutie Mark.

  • ...
3
 38
 2,891

Just A Taste

Just A Taste

Applejack liked to keep things focused. It had always been the surest way she knew to get things done right. One step at a time, one problem resolved before another, one line of thought pursued from start to finish. No dithering, no distractions, just concentration and clarity.

As the orange Earth Pony made her way through Ponyville’s streets, the stars in the night sky providing her the only real light available, that focus was all the more valuable now. The day she had just experienced left her no shortage of things to think about, after all; Twilight Sparkle, an alicorn princess! It had been quite the shock for everypony, and Applejack only hoped that the Coronation, which would be held at the first light of dawn tomorrow, would be as wonderful a one as her dear friend deserved.

But for all that she was happy for her friend, and equal parts excited and anxious to discover what this new title meant for the former unicorn, Applejack found her thoughts kept coming back to another element of the day’s adventure: the three little diamonds she had so briefly worn as her Cutie Mark.

The specifics of what had happened in that time were still…muddled for Applejack, vague and dreamlike to recall. But the broader feelings? The emotions that had raced through her heart like lightning, pulsing and pounding and overwhelming? Those, the Earth Pony remembered with crystal clarity. She had gotten a taste of what it was like to be Rarity. To her surprise-and her shame-it had proven more than she could handle.

There were, of course, plenty of skills Applejack did not have, things she was not very good at doing. There was nothing wrong with that; the farmer had long since learned how to swallow her pride and accept her limits. Yet as the Carousel Boutique came into view, she knew the reason her inability to meet the challenge Rarity’s Cutie Mark had presented held onto her thoughts so strongly.

Knocking on the door, taking her signature stetson hat in hoof and holding it to her chest, Applejack hoped she’d at least be able to tell it to the pony who most deserved to hear it.

“Hello?” Rarity greeted with a sing-song voice as she opened the door.

The unicorn was wearing her work glasses, the tell-tale tape measure draped around her neck. Working on her friends’ dresses for the Coronation, Applejack guessed with a little smile. ”Evenin’, Rarity,” she replied humbly, “Hope I ain’t botherin’ ya none?”

The fashionista’s eyes twinkled a bit as she let her visitor inside. ”It is never a bother to have a dear friend visit, Applejack,” she said, “though I admit myself curious as to what brings you by at this late hour. Shouldn’t you be getting plenty of rest for Twilight’s Coronation?”

“I couldn’t sleep,” Applejack replied simply. ”Kept thinkin’ about…things. Things I wanted t’tell you.”

That clearly caught Rarity’s attention something fierce. ”Oh?”

Applejack nodded, taking a brief moment to look over the boutique and its many glimmering gowns. Hazy images of tattered shades and boarded-up windows danced across the farmer's mind at that. ”I reckon I made a right mess ‘o’ this place,” she whispered. ”And you fixed it right up in no time at all.”

“Oh now Applejack, darling,” Rarity was quick to put a comforting hoof on the Earth Pony’s shoulder, “think nothing of it. None of us were in our right minds today, after all, and I would no more want you feeling guilty over it than you would Pinkie Pie’s time as a farmhoof.”

That got a chuckle out of Applejack, one that helped her keep a little smile as she met the unicorn’s blue eyes. ”Fair ‘nuff,” she said, “but the thing is….”

She pressed down on her hat a bit, taking a moment to resolve herself. To make sure the words came out exactly right. ”Look, Rarity,” she said, “I’ve always known you were a good Pony ‘n’ a fine friend. But I think, deep down, I always looked at what you do as…well…silly. Not ‘real’ work. And today, I got t’learn just how wrong I was.”

She slipped her hat back on, only to place her now-free hoof upon Rarity’s. ”I just wanted t’apologize for underestimatin’ you all this time. You’re as hard a worker as I could ever find, ‘n’ I’m all the prouder t’have you as a friend. I only hope you can forgive a silly ol’ farmer for her silly ol’ mistake.”

Rarity’s eyes glimmered with pride and glee, a bright smile spreading on her face from cheek to cheek. ”But of course, darling!” she said. ”After all, if Applejack, the most dependable Pony in Ponyville, tells me she is proud of my work...well, one cannot ask for a higher compliment than that.”

The Earth Pony’s smile widened just a bit, and both shared a quick little hug. ”Well…thank ya kindly for bein’ so understandin’, Rarity,” Applejack said, a yawn cutting her off before she could say more.

“Think nothing of it, dear,” Rarity replied, gently guiding her friend back to the door, “Now you go on and get some sleep, and thank you again for the visit.”

Applejack nodded, rubbing a bit of sleep out of her eyes. ”G’night, Rarity,” she said warmly.

“Good night, Applejack,” Rarity replied in kind, watching her friend depart with a giddy heartbeat.

Once she was sure the farmer was gone, she quickly trotted into the Carousel’s backroom, barely able to contain her excitement. There, tucked behind the Coronation dresses that were long since finished, was the unicorn’s true project: the gown Applejack had been working on when Rarity had come to help her in the boutique, slowly but surely being rebuilt under a more experienced hoof.

“Just a few more touches,” Rarity said to herself as she prepared to finish her friend’s gift.

Author's Note:

A little something I wrote up for "Thirty-Minute Pony Stories", my very first stab at such a thing. This version is slightly edited from the one I posted there to conform to FiMFiction's 1000-word minimum requirement, but you can read the original version here: http://thirtyminuteponies.tumblr.com/post/44045373418/prompt-271-just-a-taste-by-gojira007.

Comments ( 38 )

Heh...

Bet you that episode wasn't the first time Rarity's cutie mark's been on Applejack's thigh....

2186747 X3; Oh myyyyyyyyy... /takei

It would be interesting to see a series of stories like this.

DAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW :raritycry:

So touching. What a great, yet simple idea for a story. Bravo, sir. :ajsmug:

I really do love Rarity. Even her fans tend to underestimate just how much real effort she goes through, even after they specifically devote like 3 different episodes to just that issue. The point that she shines the brightest on is that every time she is generous, the idea of being SEEN as being generous is not even remotely on her radar. For something that she takes so much pride in, she's almost excessive in her humility of being generous.

A nice little 'missing scene'.

I wonder if any of the others had a epiphany about what their friends' lives are like? I can see Pinkie being even more determined to make Applejack take time off and Rainbow being a lot more appreciative of what Fluttershy does on a daily basis.

2186881
Indeed it would be, though I don't think I'm going to be the one to make that happen. Still, you're right; I think getting to explore the after-effects the girls would experience from the Cutie Mark swapping is rich territory.

2187191
Well thank you very kindly. Happy to hear you liked it so much. ^_^

2187323
Yeah, I think a lot of fans tend to sell Rarity short; her admittedly-diva-esque behavior tends to throw them off. Which is part of where I got the idea for this story; I wanted to show that, in point of fact, she and the more-obviously hardworking Applejack actually aren't so different after all.

2187725
Thanks. ^_^ And yeah, I imagine all the girls would experience something like this; it's just that this particular thread was the one that grabbed my interest the most.

As a fellow TMPer, this is most lovely. Great work!

2254239 Thank you very much. :D

Great lil story, kinda begging for a follow up though.

3027903 heh...perhaps. I think it stands up well enough on its own, but I definitely get what you mean. Glad you liked, in any case. ^_^

Really enjoyed that mate, good work.
Always love me a bit of Rarijack interaction :twilightsmile:

3227678 Me too. ;3. Thanks. ^_^

3294092 Oh hooray! I'm honored to hear it. :D

Not bad at all. Especially considering this was done for a 30-minute challenge. That's more than I can write in that time.:ajsleepy:

Will say, though, were it not for the 30-minute restriction, I would have said this story had a setup for a much longer and in-depth heart-to-heart between the two. After all, and this might just be me, if something was able to keep Applejack up at night, it would probably take more than a couple of sentences to address it. I felt that in a scene that had plenty of potential, there's not a lot of content.
But yeah, like I said, you did well considering your restriction.

There's also one part where the formatting's off (missing horizontal space between two paragraphs).

3395523 Eh...quality over quantity, and skill over speed, I say; as you yourself point out, it's not as if I exactly wrote the world's most completed version of this story in the 30 minutes I had, y'know?

In any case, thank you for the insights. I agree, I think a fuller story could be fleshed out of this, and that what we see here is probably only one step in a larger shift in the relationship and understanding between the two characters. I'm glad I was at least able to strike that vein of interest, and appreciate your thoughtful commentary on my work. ^_^

I hope you don't mind, but I liked this fic so much I have put together an audio version on YouTube.

3956406 Mind? Goodness no, I'm flattered. :D And such a nice reading it was, too! I'm so happy you liked the story so much, and thank you VERY much for this lovely little treat. :D

Interesting tale. Decidedly interesting. And is in character for both of them. Makes me wonder how Rarity would feel towards the lazy looking and brash Rainbow Dash and her weather work.

4199353 Yeah, the aftermath of "Magical Mystery Cure" is a geniune point of interest in general for me. Glad you liked this particular facet of it. ^w^

4200937 Indeed I have. ^_^ Quite good, too; insightful and emotional. Thanks for reminding me of it. :D

4200954

The only regret I have about it is the lack of showing Diamond AJ restoring her bond with Applebloom in the second chapter.

4201093 I'm half and half on that. On the one hand, it does stick out to me that AJ's is the only story to end so sadly, but at the same time it's hard not to feel like that sad resolution is, fittingly, the most honest one given what the story's set up thus far, to me.

very nice little bit of fic.

heard scribbler's reading.

good job, to you for the fic and scribbler for her reading of it

5264869 Agreed. And thank you. ^_^

Well this was kinda sweet I guess

6449045 Thanks, I think? X3

6449170
What the fuck, I only noticed when you replied to me but my OC is kinda similar to Applebloom. LOLZ
:trollestia::trollestia::trollestia::trollestia::trollestia:

6450610 Well alright then. 83

Nice little exchange between Applejack and Rarity. It complements nicely Friendship is Applejack, where the others get to learn how hard it is to be a certain farmer!

Dreadnought

8801730
Wow, I remember that story from a while back. The comparison's appreciated, for sure. Thank you. ^_^

8802148
I've noticed you haven't posted anything recently. Can I ask why?

Dreadnought

8802312
A lot of reasons, most of which can be boiled down to "Life got busier" combined with the fact that I have a lot of other fandoms beyond this one toward which I put my creative energy. I do hope I'll have some stuff to show here before too long, though.

8802608
Well, I look forward to any new material you'll publish.

Dreadnought

Login or register to comment