• Published 7th Oct 2022
  • 3,298 Views, 36 Comments

That Face - DeathToPonies



Things aren't going well for Twilight. Celestia seems to be upset with her, things are starting to make less sense, and she keeps seeing that face in the mirror.

  • ...
14
 36
 3,298

That Face

[The following is a collection of letters found among the smoldering remains of the Golden Oaks Library, hours after the disappearance of Twilight Sparkle.]


Dear Princess Celestia,

I saw that face again today. This time was way more innocuous than the last - took me completely off guard. I was just minding my own business, not considering it in the last, not at all worried for my own well being, when wham! Right in the mirror. My disgusting, twisted visage.

It was more contorted this time, its mouth gaping far wider than any pony I’ve ever seen. Predictably, Spike, who had been following me around all day, just so happened to not be around when I saw it, so when he came running after my screams of terror and asked me what happened, I looked like a crazy pony after pointing in the mirror.

Since this has happened a total of three times now, I can start to confirm my fear that this was not a simple trick of the mind or mistake, but a genuine attempt at malice towards me. Spike believes me, of course, and so do the others - I think - but with no way to prove the entity’s existence to them, they feel…lost and disconnected from my issue.

My first thought, of course, was that this was some kind of a punishment. For what happened nine moons ago. Do such things even exist in Equestria? Truly, I think, the truth of karma being real has so many implications - not only on my own life, but in the lives of all the enemies me and my friends have saved Equestria from. Is this what they see? Is this how it is for them?

Either way, I deserve it.


Dear Princess Celestia,

I am having the hardest time writing, since I keep looking up and seeing those horrible eyes staring back at me. They have found a new home in the corners of my room, as well, so whenever I turn around, there they are. I don't like it here anymore, and I don't know where else to go.

At least now I understand why the others were so willing to leave me behind.

[There are a few drops of blood on this paper.]


Dear Princess Celestia,

I have done something so stupid, I wish I could take it back. What I’m seeing is ḑ̸̨̧̪̪̪̼͓͔̬̹͍̫́̿̉̿̎͐ȩ̷̺̱̘̤̫̳̼̙̜̌̽̔̾̔͗ͅa̸̢̛̞̗̣͕̤̙͎͓̝̱̗̰̯̠͚̥̤̠̞̥̍̐̃̒̔̇̀̽͂̃̍̏͌̾̉͛̉̆͒́͜ͅt̷̛̻̼̣̖͑̏̊͐̈́́͐͒̄̅̈́͂̈͠͝h̴͔̻̗̝̜̤͔̼͉̣̲̦̏͌̍͋͒̀̈́̾̈́̏̏̂͗̒̓̇̑̅͒̐͝͠͠ ̵̯̯͚̜̞̥͈̼̭̼͈̦̩̌̎̒̃́̿̂̒́̏̄͌͗̄͒̕͘͝ḯ̷̡͚̣͍̜̘̹̹͆̎̀̽̿̇̀̏͛̾́̍́̄̇̚̕̕͘͜͝͝n̶̼̺̞̥̪̅̊̈́̔̿͗̌̓̿͘͠c̴̟̈́̋͌́a̴̢̛͈͓̣̟̠͔̩̦̯̥̣̱̼̫͓̽̓̇̃̌͆͌͛̑̅̓̒̍̊̈́̉̎́̀̃͆͘̕r̴̢̧͉̩͖̦̘̞͖̹͈̰̘̱͈̩̣͇̟̩̘̐̄̏́̏̌͆́̈́͑̃̐̎̽̒̋̈́̏̆̄̚̕͜͠͠͝ͅṇ̴̛͋͠a̵͍̺͙̺̳̮̖̻͈͎̓̀̽̊̈́̆̈́̎͛̎͛̆̈̓̂̔̅͋̒͑̆̑͛͘͝t̸̛̛̯͌͗̊͐̃́̀̈́́͆̍̏͒̀̏͋͋̊̒̕e̵̢͔̱̥͚̝̳̖̱͖̪͉̫͉̠̙̊́̈́͑́̑͛͑͌̏̈͋̕͝͝,̵̨̛̪͖̜͙͈̥̬̬̫̗͑͐̍͗̃͗̎̈̽̉̃̕͝ ̶̧̫͕͕̭̯͕̬̹͈͙̈́͒̏̃͊̉͂̈͆͊͊̎̆̔̈͝͠t̶̡̡̡̢̧̧̛̮̦͙̤̜̦̜̜̟̣̺͚̺̘̔͆̊̇̌̾̀̏̊̌̀̓͗̉͑͌͘̕̕͝͝h̸̛̉͆͛̑͗̽́̈́̿̇̄̃̇̓̑̐̓̓̕͠͠͠ͅę̷̣̣̺̜̯̭̼̖͍̪͙͙͖̯̲͑́̽͌̃̇͗̄̍ ̶̢̢̢̨̛͈̻͙̖͔̜̟͔̼̥̖̻̯̥̹̝̘̥̬̫̱̄̏͆̕ͅl̸̡̧̺͇̥͔͎̙̳͍̲͇͈̝̱͕̝̪̙̀̆̈̒͘͝ḯ̵̡̬͍̝͖̲͗͊̔̅͗̈́̐̏͒̐̏͌̉͠v̵̨̧̢̡̻̩̞̗̯̤̱̺̯̭̖̐̌̊̑̈̀̄̅͊̌̾͝͝į̵̨̥̮̳̫̖͓̙̩̖͕͎̭̹͍̈͋͌̄̆̈́̋̐̍͗͆̔͛́̿͂̕̚n̶̨̨͍̘̹̰͍̹̯̤͎̜͖͛̓́̂͂̽̈́̓̾̀͂̿͛̈́̽͛͂͊͋͌̚͘͝͝͝͠g̴̣̀́̍̉͛̓͛̇̉͐̂ ̵̛̩͙̪̪̥̭͆̀̾̉̉̎͂͂̽̎͛̏͠͝f̶̢̡̢̢̢̬̳̺̰͈̹̥̳̼͉̘̮͙̤̭̝̤̥̱̗̾͆͛͑̓͆̅͋͑̉̀͑̐͑̑̕̚͝ȏ̶̢̨̹̩̘͖͔̺̬͙̠͓̤̟̪͕̞̬̫́̈̀̄̅̂̊̄̃̚͜r̴̡̛͔͍̥̺̳̳̝͕̰̲͎̼̣̪̝̠̖̥̳͊̅̈̈́̉̓̋̑̏̎̓̓̉̈́̈̚͜͝ͅͅͅm̵̨̛̪̦̗̪̦͙̙̻̝̱̬͍̯̝͔̹̩͗̿̆̌̇̀̐́̔͌̐͘͘͘͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ ̵̛̤̫̳̟̮͍̥͖̝̪̰͈̫͎̘̍͊̋͑̍o̵̢̢͖̳̲̭͕̤̯̘̜̲͓̬̺̤̅͆̉̾̉̂͒͋̀̾̀͗͘ͅf̴̢̨̢̛̦̭̗͎̩̠̟̟̖̞̗̪̗̤̪̪̠̲̩̬̃̈́̈́̑́͑́̈̇͝͝ ̷̡̛̛͖̻̺̯͖͍̫̞͎̙̟̽͆̂̏͜͠ḿ̵̨̟̃͐͆̿̃͘y̸̗̏̈̒̑̈͒͆̀̈̋͑̓̒̄̽̇̾͘̚͝͠ ̵̨̧̛̱͍͙̼͎̞̳̱̣͎̣͖͕̫͕̪̲̠̠̭͓͚̤̑̎̏̽͛̕s̴͙̱̲̩̰̙̭̘̩̘̈́ͅį̴̨̣̙͔̣̬̫̰̝̩͈͔̜̦̮͈͕̬͚̞̜͆͗͌͗̂͂̔́̈͋̓͋͝͝n̸͉̩̠͈͔̳̦̘̝̞̰̲͔͕̥̣̤͉͗͛̓̈́̀̊́̋̏̈̏̎̓̊̍̿̆͑̓͘̕̚͠ew that. If I did write down everything I've gone through in the past several days, I'd never find the strength to finish.

Celestia, please forgive me.

[There is significantly more blood on this paper, obscuring far more words.]


Dear Princess Celestia,

I must thank you once again for everything you have done for me here in Ponyville. Today, we had quite the experience with the buffalo and the Apploosans! Everypony learned quite a lot, but I learned to never judge a book by its cover, and always listen to all sides of a disagreement. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie had an even crazier time, though! Remind me to recall the entire story to you on my next visit.

[This letter curiously marks a return to normal, un blood-spilled notes.]


Dear Princess Celestia,

I am starting to wonder if any of this is real. I hear ponies talking about things on the news. Did we used to have news? Did we used to have…TV? When did I get a TV? Why do I even know what a TV…is?

Why am I married to Pinkie Pie?


Dear Princess Celestia,

You are not going to like what happens next.


Dear Princess Celestia,

I know that I’m no longer writing to you, Princess Celestia. Your sniveling little rat, Spike, finally let it slip that he’s been EATING these letters instead of sending them to you. I heard him say it after bending his arm in a direction arms don’t bend. Of course, it was only when I threatened to feed him his own teeth that he let the REAL truth slip - he’s not eating them, he’s STASHING THEM. Why? What’r’ye gonna do? Are you trying to pin me? Well, you won’t stop me. I’ll be stashing this latter with the rest of them.


Dear Princess Celestia,

I saw the face again. Please, please, help. I don’t want to do this anymore. I don’t want to play this game anymore. I’m tired, I’m lonely, my mind is almost always altered. I’m always just floating through life. Nothing is ever good, nothing is ever bad, and then suddenly out of nowhere this face shows up again. Was this you all along? Why did this happen to me?

How…many times has this happened to me?


Dear Princess Celestia,

This will be the last letter I write to you.

You were a good teacher to me, I won’t doubt that. But I have to seriously criticize you on your discipline tactics. I didn’t deserve any of this.

I’ve decided you are unfit for power, Celestia, and I’m going to overthrow you.

I’ve written these letters and placed them in a conspicuous place in my apartment, which I will set ablaze in the night and escape in the chaos, going to a secret location and biding my time. I’ve hidden these letters in some of the most obvious places imaginable, and written them in a way that conveys intrigue to slow readers down and buy more time. By the time whoever is reading this is reading it, I’m long gone, and now you know my whole plan and last words. I do apologize if harm comes to you because of this - that will depend on what happens next, of course - but if I do have to kill you, realize that it’s because of her.

Celestia.

She said what I did was a disgrace. She was right. But nothing - nopony - deserves a hell like this. If you want my advice, run. Run like your life depends on it. Equestria will fall before I let her sit another day in power.


[The final page simply contains an image - a horrific, twisted depiction of twilight, her mouth open wide to a disgusting degree, staring dead-eyed at the viewer.]

Comments ( 36 )

That Face... will be in my nightmares

11387208
Dude, you do NOT want to see the original generation. I had to blur/censor it for the cover art. It was way, way worse. The entire inside of her mouth was so detailed…it seriously felt like an evil presence.

11387209
Lmao Jesus its that bad, huh?

11387213
Novel AI is fantastic for the coding-illiterate like me, who don’t want to get into the whole stable diffusion noise, because GENERALLY, it does a good job of staying on-topic and not producing horrifying abomination results. However, the furry model has a lot more difficulty than the anime model, and for some reason, using the phrase “screaming” on the furry model usually produces extremely detailed gaping mouths taking up most of the screen. If I had to guess, it’s basing it off detailed vore tags from e621.

Bracketing the screaming tag and adding “horrific, scary, grotesque” to the negative tags helps, but man this freaked me the hell out when I first saw it, compared to everything else its produced.

Unsettling, leaves so many questions asked

11387233
Only got an hour to write? No time to instill all the detail you want into a story? Have no fear! Just leave it suuuper vague and open ended, thus letting the audience draw their own conclusions, basically doing your work for you as they write their own endings and explanations!

other one-off stories of mine like the Cozy one and the Toola Roola one might get sequels, but this one is gonna forever stay this one single story. the votes tell me people enjoyed it at least :)

[Comment below deleted for spam and malicious link]

No offense, but Twilight's face doesn't scared me. She look ridiculous! :rainbowlaugh:

Sorry, it's just to me. It looks like she is giving a blowjob to a invisible dick. :trollestia:

11387785
Since the training data used in the AI to generate the image that pertains to ponies was e621, you probably aren’t too far off with this theory! If you’d like to see the unblurred, uncensored image I can send it to you, but I wont post it here

*looks at the picture*
I can do that to ya know!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

So what exactly did she do that caused Celestia to be disappointed and caused all this?

aww- lookit that face! She's saying “I'm a piranha! They're in the Amazon!”

Looks like Twilight discovered crack.

11389417
top comment in the thread

I agree with Adamastos. What caused Celestia to become disappointed in Twilight? Or are we not meant to know?

Can I see the picture? Horror is my fave.

I honestly would love to have an expanded version of this. You show a knack for tapping into the epistolary format here, and it’s a genre on the site that really gets a lot of good exploration, and plenty of titles to learn from.

To be honest, what was the point of mentioning a TV and that twilight is married to pinkie? It just felt kind of random.

11564829
She has gone so batshit crazy that she is hallucinating technology from other realms. And also that she is married to Pinkie Pie.

11387806
now this i gotta see

heres my discord if you find the time to send it over.
kowhaifan#5578

This reminds me a lot of this one animatic from a while back.

It mainly just fits if we go with the theory that the unforgivable thing Twilight did was killing Pinkie. I think there's also a TV in one of the shots so there's that. I know logically that these are two entirely unrelated projects, but I still really like to imagine that they're related somehow.

I am starting to wonder if any of this is real. I hear ponies talking about things on the news. Did we used to have news? Did we used to have…TV? When did I get a TV? Why do I even know what a TV…is?

I don't think this was just random, but how the fuck does she even know what a TV is? if I assume that they don't have television in Equestria which makes this even more surreal which I fucking love, great story, very confusing I really like it...

11565225

11565225
this was the first thing I thought of lol

I don't get it.

11532840
hi ice! kinda cool and random you dropped in on a couple of my stories to drop some opinions haha

you are probably the only person on the site i'd consider listening to asking for a sequel to this story...but still nah. this story was highly experimental and written from the heart, and it's been a blast seeing people discuss theories and more. your compliments mean quite a great deal to me still though.

Why am I married to Pinkie Pie?

TWIPIE :twilightsheepish::pinkiehappy:

11387209
So where can we see it? :twilightoops:

11592899
Do you think you can give me an explanation at least from your perception of what the hell's going on I'll give you mine

11657598
That's cheating! let me hear yours first, and then I'll tell you mine.

11657866
Sure I'll give you mine it's fair but you have to respond to me afterwards I would hope cuz I really want to hear your perspective
She's schizophrenic the first time the face appeared was under some form of stress from her job Twilight's under an extreme amount of stress the face that she is seeing is a hallucination of some kind caused by some trigger the different notes that we are seeing are all increasingly becoming either bloody unorganized or questioning what's going on which is a very good common Trope of schizophrenic who sometimes lose track of reality and can't tell what's fiction from reality the blood she might have blacked out and killed Pinkie Pie the reason why she's questioning why she's married to Pinkie Pie is because she can't remember that she was always married to Pinkie Pie Pinkie Pie became worried after noticing her wife acting strange we also get a timeline of about 9 months ago talking about some event that is not spoken about at all I'm going to guess that 9 months ago Pinkie Pie had noticed some strange signs with Twilight Sparkle they got together and started talking about it but then Twilight Sparkle at some point might have snapped maybe under the pressure of the argument or stress and killed Pinkie Pie there that's why we are seeing some bloody letters especially the letters that have become too soaked in blood to read also the notes are all out of order which makes me think that at some point Twilight tried to document what was going on to her and as time went on it became disorganized leading to the mess that is right here also a couple conversation give me information explaining that her friends all left her one by one they got tired of her they can't help her

Login or register to comment