• Published 26th May 2020
  • 4,056 Views, 106 Comments

The Mystic Fox - Mysticfox



A new but old race comes back to the world of ponies but he is alone

  • ...
7
 106
 4,056

The Book and A Dog

Author's Note:

HI EVERYONE IM BACK HAHAHA.
Got another chapter for all you lovely people out there. I did my best to find any mistakes but I'm sure some slipped through the cracks so if you see anything let me know please. Anyways I hope you all enjoy and know that I got some awesome stuff planned for future chapters. Let me know what y'all think please good or bad

The Book and a Dog.


"So soft." Rosy said I'm her sleep as she snuggled closer to my side. After getting home and explaining what happened over a spaghetti supper and a good hot shower I find myself lying awake on my bed smiling down at my adorable daughter.

"Add cozy softness to my growing list of improvements." I said with a smile before raising a fur covered hand and sighed.

"So what now?" I asked myself as I looked at my hand before gently placed now Rosy before I fell asleep.

"Fox, you constantly surprise me." Twink said as I slowly opened my eye and found myself sitting at a small table in the middle of my library with Twink pouring us a cup of tea.

"You and I both. If I'm being honest all of this is still kind of weird to me. Not to long ago I thought myself as just a standard human living in a world with no magic and now I'm an anthropomorphic magic fox living in a world full of colorful ponies and all manner of creatures I thought of as myths." I said as I took a sip of my tea.

"Yes I bet it will time time to adjust to your primordial form." She said as I pulled out a bowl of berries from my bag before what she said made me stop.

"My what now?" I asked with a raised brow.

"Honestly Fox, did you not read the book I gave you." She said with a sigh before the book with the sapphire on the strap popped up on the table.

"Yeah I was planning to read it on my way to the dragon lands." I said as I picked up the book.

"Please make sure to read it. That book will help you control your magic." She said as she took a strawberry from the bowl and happily took a bite.

"Ok I'll read it as soon as possible but can you explain what happened?" I ask as I set the book back on the table.

"Long before the standard ponies came about and life started to thrive the creator of the world left four races to protect and watch this world grow." She said as she pulled four berries from the bowl.

"First our ancestors we call the primordial foxes and we were charged with protection and balance of this world." She said placing down a strawberry.

"Second was the Fay or as they are called now changelings. They looked completely different from today's changelings and they were to govern the spirits." She said as she placed a blueberry.

"Next we have the dragon they govern the elements. There used to be four kinds of dragons but now only fire dragons are known." Sha said as she placed down a raspberry.

"And finally the Alicorns. They were charged with protection of magic as well as teaching the way of land and magic to new generations but as you can see only three remain and they're not true Alicorns." She said as she placed down a black berry.

"These four races worked together to help stabilize this world but something bad happened and unfortunately there is a blank spot in history before the creation of the pony tribes. Changelings started to eat emotions, most of the dragon tribes disappeared, the Alicorns were no more in there place was the pony tribes, and we lost our connection to this world and lost our primordial form." She said as she ate a berry one after the other until only the strawberry was left.

"Because we lost control of the balance of this world harmony and chaos split apart and in doing so the chaos only grew and in time harmony created a being to control the overflow of chaos and so Discord was born. I believe that it was because of the chaos magic from the poison joke and your harmony magic mixed together and reformed balance within you. You Fox are the only one of our race to achieve balance since before the blank age." She said as she ate the strawberry while I sat quiet thinking.

"That just makes me wonder what happened in the blank age to cause such a drastic change in the world. Wasn't the library around at that time?" I asked as I refilled my tea.

"No the library wasn't created until right after the blank age in the hope that there will be no more blanks in this world's history. But I believe that that book holds all the answers and help you would need to control your magic." She said as she used her magic to push it closer to me.

"Ok so what is it?" I asked as I picked it up and tried to open it.

"The book won't open in here. There are spells in place that keeps it's content a secret even to me. That book is the Journal Of Light, the last primordial and only a primordial can open it." She said with a sigh.

"Why does if feel like my life just got more complicated?" I said as I hung my head low.

"It is what it is I guess. All I can do is continue forward and see what this life holds. And honestly I'm not complaining. I got family and friends, a new village I call my home and now a new look and I must say I kinda like it." I said with a smile as I slipped the book back into my bag.

"I'm glad you see it that way. Now off with you the sun should be rising any minute now and you have a lot to do before you need to catch the train." She said with a smile before the library faded and the sun creeped through my window.

"(Yawn) morning dad." Rosy said with a stretch before she slid off the bed and slowly walked to the bathroom room.

"Good morning to you too Rosy." I said as I stretch before getting of my bed and slipped out of my pj pants and into my shorts.

"I need to talk to Rarity sometime soon. I hate having to ware just these shorts." I said before heading down stairs to get breakfast ready. I cut up some cantaloupe into small pieces and put them in a bowl with a little bit of yogurt and mixed them together for Ayla and Tammy who were now waiting patiently at the table.

"Morning Fox." Merrin said as she tried to wipe the crust from her eyes.

"Ugh it's too early but I'm hungry." Blake said as he walked in behind Merrin.

"Good morning you two. Coffees ready if you want a cup and I'll have breakfast ready in just a bit. I said as I whipped some pancake batter.

"So how's it feel to be a furry like the rest of us?" Blake asked with a smirk as he sat down with his coffee.

"Are you a furry because you have lots of fur or am I missing a joke?" Merrin asked as I started cooking.

"It's a joke, don't worry about it." I said, making Blake laugh.

"I could say something about vore since we're technically predators." Blake said before I slapped a fresh made pancake in his face.

"What's vore dad?" Rosy asked, causing me to blush and Blake fall to the floor laughing.

"Nothing you need to know about until your much much older sweetheart." I said as I set down a plate of pancakes for her.

"Aw I'm never old enough." She pouted as she poured syrup on her breakfast.

"Ok a change in subject. Later on this morning Merrin and I are goin to be leaving for the dragon lands. Rosy we'll drop you off at school and afterwards you can take the door to the cart. We'll be spending the night in Appaloosa then riding the cart through the badlands." I said as I finished cooking and placed everything on the table.

"Why not take that air ship we took from those poachers?" Blake asked before stuff a pancake in his maw.

"Do you know how to fly that thing because I sure as hell don't." I said as I began to eat before a loud knock came from the front door.

"I'll get it. Make sure you clean your plates after you eat." I said before taking a big bite out of my pancakes and heading for the door.

"Hello." I said as I opened the door and found miss Note on my mat with a frown and a thick folder before looking at me in confusion and shook her head.

"Good morning Sir Fox I hope I'm not interrupting your morning but there are a few things that need your attention, one more than others." She said as she looked towards a commotion happening at a stand further down.

"Alright give me a second." I said as I shut the door and went back to the kitchen.

"Sorry y'all but somethings goin on in the market. Merrin, can you see if the squirrels can gather up some veggies? I got some plans to cook up later today." I said before I stuffed a pancake into my mouth and grabbed my bag.

"Ok. Anything in particular or just anything they can get?" She asked as she helped Rosy clean her plate.

"Um corn for sure and anything that would be good grilled." I said before heading out the front with Note.

"So new look or poison joke this time?" Note looked up at me with a raised brow.

"New look actually. I was having trouble with my magic. princess Celestia and Twilight helped me get better control over it. Then one magic surge later I looked like this. So what seems to be the issue?" I asked as we came upon the small crowd of onlookers.

"Some diamond dogs Sir." She said with a sigh as I pushed my way through the crowd and saw a dark brown German shepherd looking diamond dog standing in front of an Abyssinian selling fresh hunted game with a couple of larger bulldogs in armor.

"I'm sorry miss but I can't do anything with these." The orange tabby said as she pushes a large bag of gems back to the diamond dog.

"But these are high quality gems." The dog said as she pushed the bag back.

"And I get that miss but I have no way to determine their value." The tabby said pushing the bag back to the now anger dog but before things could escalate I stepped up to the stand.

"What seems to be the problem here?" I asked calmly and with a smile.

"No this is between me and this cat." The dog said without looking at me.

"Sir…Sir Fox is that you?" The tabby said with a slight blush.

"Oh Miss Grace, glad to see you here. Is your father not here today." I asked with a kind smile. It took some time but I'm finally able to remember the names of the regular vendors. Well some of them.

"No unfortunately he hurt his paw on a hunt and can't put any pressure on it yet." She said with a smile.

"Well I hope it heals up quickly. Now back to the situation at hand. What seems to be the problem?" I asked as the dog leaned towards me and began to sniff me.

"What are you? You don't smell like a dog." She asked with a scrunched up nose.

"Hi I'm Fox Lilly, a Mystic Fox, mayor of this village and King of this forest. So again what's the problem?" I asked as my calmness began to waiver.

"Your a Mystic Fox?" She asked in shock before stepping back.

"I'm sorry for my rudeness. I am Tella daughter of the chef of the Howler caln. My grandmother told me stories of the great Mystics of this forest." She said with a short bow along with her guard.

"It fine miss Tella. So what brings you to my market today?" I asked with a smile.

"Our clan have been in famine because of a fire that ravaged our land and hunting thanks to a large black dragon that passed through over a year ago. Crops were destroyed and the woods are now ash and because of this our clan is starving. Pups are dying because there mother's cant give them enough milk. So when reports said there's a market that's a two day journey that's run by none ponies we couldn't pass up this chance so we gathered up some gems to trade but this cat here won't except them." She said with a glare making grace shrink back a little bit.

"It's not that I won't accept them, it's because I can't accept them. I don't know their value so I would either loss or gain for both me and you." She said in a whisper.

"That is true but I believe I might have a solution if you'll be willing to listen and I want to help you and your tribe." I said as a plan began to form in my head.

"Unfortunately I'm not in a position to decline your offer. Plus my grandma always used to tell us never to be afraid to accept help when given." She said with a sigh.

"Good now if you'll excuse us Miss Grace and I wish for good health for you and your father." I said with a smile making the tabby blush before leading Tella and her guards away from the stall.

"I now a mare that works with gems a lot and should be able to help gauge their value. Miss Note do you mind coming with us, I would like you there to be a part of this." I asked before getting interrupted by Tella.

"You want a pony to help us." She said with a growl.

"Miss Note here is my second when I'm not around." I said as my smile faded and my magic flared with light blue mist swirling off me.

"And I will inform you now. There will be no animosity towards ANY race in my lands." I said as I tried to calm myself.

"R..right I apologize. I will reframe from making any more rude comments." She said with a deep bow along with her guard.

"I apologize for my outburst as well. I'm normally able to keep myself in check." I said feeling a little ashamed that my temper flared like that.

"Not trying to be rude but can we get going now there is still some matters to discuss with you after Sir." Note said with a stern glare.

"Right, right then let's get goin." I said as I opened a portal in front of Raritie's store.

"Um where are we going?" Tella asked as she looked at the portal with concern.

"Goin to head over The Carousel Boutique. My friend Rarity lives and wo(pop)...dam it." I said as I was now standing in front of the now terrified with unicorn.

"DIAMOND DOG!!!" She screamed before pelting me with fabric and anything she can throw.

"Rarity, it's me Fox Lilly. No, no , not the mannequin." I said before I was slammed to the wall by a mannequin in a sparkly dark blue dress. When my brain finally restarted I looked up to find a pear of lager scissors in my face and a very pissed off unicorn.

"What are you doing here dog?" She growled as the scissors got closer.

"I'm Fox Lilly due to some magic mishaps I not look like this. Just ask Twilight and the princess knows what happened." I said as I slowly pushed the scissors away before a knock came from the door.

"Stay right there." She said before wrapping me in the same color fabric as the dress before heading to her door.

"I'm sorry but we're closed for the day." She said before opening the door and saw Note.

"I don't mean to interrupt your morning miss Raritie but it seems like you already found what or whom exactly I was looking for." Note said as she looked passed Rarity and I tried to wiggle my ears in a wave.

"Oh your looking for this diamond dog. By all means please take him to the guards for breaking into my shop." She said with disdain and glared at me before she noticed a very unamused diamond dog behind her.

"Miss Rarity I can assure you that Sir Fox is only here to ask for your assistance in a business matter." She said as I slipped from the cloth and started to fold it. I started to see the color shift to a darker blue with tiny specks of white that made it look like the night sky.

"And hopefully ask for a commission on some clothes to fit this new look. This cloth is amazing. It's soft like silk and the color transitions so well in the light." I said as I floated the cloth over to her counter so I didn't get it dirty.

"Oh dear, is that really you Fox. I am so sorry." Rarity said with a deep bow.

"Stop that what you did was understandable but I would like you to keep your animosity towards Diamond Dog to yourself for the time being. As Note had said I need your help." I said as I cleaned up her show room with my magic as Note stepped into the shop with Tella behind her.

"Of course Fox. Now how can I help you and…your friend here?" She asked with a slight growl when she looked at Tella.

"This is Tella, she is the chieftains daughter of the howler clan and came a long way to my market this morning to seek food and other things for the dying clan." I said as I made a small table and pillows appear along with a teapot and cups.

"I'm sorry if I've been rude. I've had a run in with a den of dogs right outside town and they forced me to howl their gem carts and find gems with my magic." As she started to pour the tea.

"Ugh that must have been the Barker Clan. I hate saying this about my own kind but that clan is just down right stupid. I'm sorry for how my mind has treated you Miss Rarity." Tella said with a slight bow before sitting on one of the pillows.

"It's quite alright. Now Fox you said you needed my assistance and some new clothes." She said as she placed a sketch pad and pencil on the table.

"Yes as I said earlier she can go get goods for her clan but the problem lies in her form of payment." I said as I set a large bag of gems on the table.

"But unfortunately there is no one in my village that can ascertain the value of these gems. So I was hoping you could give me an estimated value." I said as she pulled out a few gems with her magic and began to inspect them.

"Hmmm, clean edges, pretty clear, no cracks or blemishes. These are pretty good quality. Are the rest of the gems of this quality?" She asked Tella as she dumped the bag out on the table and began to sort them out.

"Yes. Almost all the gems we dig up in our lands are around the same quality." She said with a bit of pride.

"Let's see five large diamonds, eight emeralds, seven rubies, ten garnets. Oh what do we have here?" She said as she lifted up a dark blue gem and a dark purple gem.

"Those are abundant in our tunnels but we don't know what to call them." Tella said as she sipped her tea.

"This is alexandrite. The blue is called daylight and the purple is incandescent. These are some rare gemstones and you say there are plenty in your home?" She asked as she put the rest of the gems back into the bag but left out the alexandrite.

"Yes. We even find some that are a mix in color." She said as she added sugar to her tea.

"I see. I would say the total value of the bag about sixty thousand bits and the Alexandrite alone is another eighty thousand. Now I'm willing to offer forty thousand for half of Alexandrite." Rarity said as she split the pile.

"Before we settle on payment I have a proposition that would help you and your clan." I said as I pulled a small chest, a small pouch, and a book from my bag before using my magic to duplicate the book and slipped the original back in the bag.

"I'm sorry if this comes out rude but can any in your clan read?" I asked with a smile.

"Yes not many dog are very smart but me and some of my clan can read and write." She said with a sigh as I picked a small ruby from the gem bag.

"Good. Now onto discussing business. I would like to help out your clan. In this chest is two hundred thousand bits for the gems, a pouch of various seeds for crops that can withstand harsh lands, and a book on various cultivation methods. I'm also giving you this." I said as I lifted the ruby in my magic and began to seal in an enchantment before setting it down on the table with the rest of the things.

"And what do you seek in return for your generosity?" Tella asked with a raised brow.

"Nothing." I said with a wide smile.

"Nothing?" She asked with a slight glare.

"Yep. Well that's not entirely true." I said as I passed her the ruby.

"This ruby now has a special enchantment on it. Did you happen to see the large trading post in my village?" I asked with a smile.

"The large building at the end of your main road?" She asked as she picked up the ruby.

"That's right. I have set up special gates to multiple places in different lands." I said as I slipped my tea.

"Is that why I saw so many different races walking around?" She asked with surprise.

"That is correct. Those gates are portals to their homelands and I would like to add your gate to help bring in more diversity to our market and trade. This will also help your people as well. You see a lot of goods you find at our market would normally sell for a higher cost because the seller would have to spend more to ship them and some items such as food would have to be handled properly or they would spoil. But because of my gates the items come directly from they're source so the seller won't need to raise their price because of shipping so goods can be sold cheaper and the seller won't lose any bits. Rarity how much would you say a bolt of Abyssinian silk would go for in Equestria?" I asked with a smirk.

"Hmm it depends on the quality but I would say anywhere between two hundred and five hundred bits per bolt." She said with her hoof on her chin in thought.

"What if I told you that there is a vendor in my market that is selling bolts of high quality silk for under one hundred bits." I said as I rested my head on my hand.

"You can't be serious?" She asked with wide eyes in surprise.

"I certainly am. You see when shipping the silk over seas they have to be sealed tight in a crate so that the salty air doesn't fade or damage the silk. So the seller has to pay more to properly ship them and they have to raise the price to cover shipping and still make a profit. But with the gates that completely voids the need for shipping and can keep the original value as if they're selling in their home markets." I said with a smile. I'm so glad that we had trading guides in the library.

"Hmm I see your point but unfortunately we don't have anything to sell." Tella said with her head low.

"You do know that there's more in the ground than gems right?" I asked with a raised brow.

"The only thing we find are rocks with funny smells to them." She said as she pulled a reddish black rock and a chunky white rock from her pocket.

"Well now this is a good start. This red and black rock is iron ore and the white is salt both have there own value." I said as I reached into my bag and pulled out a book before duplicating it and put the original back.

"Helpful guide to the value under our hooves. This book should help you find things that could benefit your people and goods for the market." I said as I handed her the book.

"I'll have to talk with my father and elders before we can make any decisions." Tella said as she set the book with her other stuff.

"If your people decide to join the village market or just browse it's goods, make an archway big enough for easy trave and place that ruby on the frame. Once it's in place it will automatically connect to the outpost." I said with a smile before Rarity stood up and wrapped a measuring tape around my chest.

"Um Rarity?" I asked before getting shushed.

"I just need to get your measurements darling. I saw earlier that you noticed the fabric I wrapped you in and I must say it compliments your fur nicely. And done. Now if you don't mind I have work to do and shopping after." She said with a giggle before putting away her measuring tape.

"Thanks for your help Rarity and as thanks you can have the alexandrite." I said as I put them all in a small pile for her.

"Oh no darling I can't accept that it's too much." She said before pushing the pile away.

"Rarity I must insist and I can be as stubborn as Applejack on this." I said with a wide smile.

"Well if you put it that way how can I say no." She said with a smirk.

"Now then let's get back to the village." I said as I opened a portal before saying farewell to Rarity and walked through.

"Now then Tella with the bits from your gems you can spend them here to get everything that your people need. When your purchases have been made hold the ruby I gave you and picture your home and a small temporary gate will appear and disappear when you're on the other side then just do what I told you and you'll be all set." I said as her guards stepped up beside her.

"I can't thank you enough Sir Fox. With your help my people will suffer no more. Hopefully that massive black dragon won't come back." She said with a growl.

"Hey that black dragon did it look like this?" I said as I pulled up my display and showed a picture of Throne.

"Yes, how did you know?" She asked with a glare.

"I had a run in with him and let's just say he won't be causing any more trouble after he almost torched an entire island." I said before closing the display.

"How powerful are you?" She asked with wide eyes.

"I'll let you know once I figure that out. As for now though I have more business to get to. If you'll excuse me." I said before turning to a very annoyed Note glaring up at me.

"I'm sorry, Miss Note. So what's on my list this morning?" I asked with a smile before she sighed.

"I have some documents that need your signature for new residents and I believe I found someone to craft the stamps you want." She said as she gave me the file and a white marble stamp with my mark on it.

"Yeah this looks good and he works with wood as well?" I asked as I looked over my stamp.

"She used to make small detail work in her home village before her shop collapsed and unfortunately it was above her home. She had a bad termite problem." She said as we walked back towards my home.

"Where's she from?" I asked before I was suddenly nuzzled by a happy Alya that flew onto my shoulder.

"Griffonia. She's an older griffin but she still has some good years left and as far as Griffins go she's the nicest." Note said with a smile before Alya coughed up a scroll with Tia's wax seal.

"And it looks like our next topic is here. I approve of the Griffin and if she needs a home I'm sure we still have a few available right?" I asked as I scratched Alya's chin.

"Yes we still have five left to fill. I'll speak with her after this and set her up with a home. What did the princess send you?" She asked as I opened the scroll.

"It says 'I princess Celestia give Sir Fox Lilly full custody of the prisoner Chrysalis of the changelings for a sentence of confinement within his village. Full responsibility now falls under Sir Fox Lilly until he decides her release. Chrysalis will be released to his custody once she wakes and recovers enough to be moved." I read before rolling back up the scroll.

"Miss Note, can you get one of the houses ready and furnished? We will have another resident soon." I said with a smile as we came up to my home.

"Are you sure that's wise Sir?" Note asked with concern.

"Yeah but I'm sticking to what I believe. But don't worry I already have several safety measures in place." I said as I stood in front of my door.

"If you say so Sir." She said as she look up at and with a growing smile

"GOTCHA!"

"AAAHHH(POOF)...well at least I know I can still go mini." I said as I lay on my belly while Rosy and Note laughed at my sides.

Comments ( 4 )

Very interesting and that entire ordeal sounded like the Silk Road trading routes in China not to mention certain spice trades of Japan and other places of the world quite an interesting way to run the economy if not a little old-fashioned

Comment posted by Mysticfox deleted Aug 13th, 2023

Yes been hoping for updates 😁😁😁😁😁

Great chapter didn't know about it

Login or register to comment