• Published 26th May 2020
  • 4,056 Views, 106 Comments

The Mystic Fox - Mysticfox



A new but old race comes back to the world of ponies but he is alone

  • ...
7
 106
 4,056

Chapter 23: Back In The Swing Of Things

Author's Note:

HI EVERYBODY welcome back to my story finally had some down time to write a bit so here it is.

And like always let me know what yall think about this little funny chapter:twilightsmile:

Chapter 23 back in the swing of things

"Ugh." I groaned as I began to wake up. I slowly open my eyes to find the gentle rays of the moon filling my room with its soft light.

"At least I'm not back in the hospital." I whispered before I tried to sit up much to the protest of my stiff muscles but with a big yawn I was up covering my mouth with a white fur hand.

"Oh yeah that happened." I said as I pulled my hand away from my face. White fur covered the back of my hand and ran all the way up my shoulder, my fingers grew long and sharp like claws and for some reason it all felt natural. I could feel magic running through my arm like a calm stream in the mountains as the magic circulated through it.

"OK so magic can regrow a missing arm. Gonna have to talk with Twink about this one." I whispered as I lowered my arm and looked around for my bag and found it sitting next to a blue cushion with a sleep mare on it. With a smile I looked back to the bed where Rosy was snoring lightly with her fox pushing in her hooves and Tammy curled up next to her.

"Coo." Alya said quietly as she nuzzled my cheek.

"Hey sweetheart didn't mean to wake you up." I said as I scratched her head until my stomach demanded attention. I looked up to my wall clock and saw it was just a little past five in the morning.

"How about a quick snack from the garden while we wait for them to wake up?" I said as I carefully moved out of bed trying not to wake up the sleeping filly. Thank God I was still in my jeans from yesterday. After a quick trip to the bathroom and shower I slipped on a fresh pair of jeans and my favorite Baby Yoda comfy shirt.

"Much better." I said as I picked up my bag and looked at Merrin lying on her back with her back hooves twitching slightly making me chuckle. I gently picked her up and placed her on the bed before I left the room and headed out the back door. When I sat down at my table I pulled out my mini camp stove and put on a pot of coffee as Alya fluttered down to the table before we were greeted by a couple of the harvester squirrels holding up a small brownish red fruit with four hard green leaves on top.

"Oh hey it looks like my mangosteen tree finally has some ripe fruits." I said with a smile as one of the squirrels tried to bite into the thick rind of the fruit before holding it up to me with a pout.

"Can't get past the skin?" I asked as I picked up the fruit as they nodded their heads.

"OK, how about you bring me some more of these and I'll open them for you." I said as I pulled a knife from my bag before they happily squeaked and ran back into the garden. In a matter of seconds more squirrels poured out of the garden, each one holding its own fruit and formed a line in front of me.

"Hahaha I guess you all want to try them." I said as I ran my knife around the fruit and popped off the top of the rind revealing the juice white pulp in the middle.

"Here you go. You can eat everything but the skin and it's pretty healthy for you too." I said as I gave the fruit to the waiting squirrels who wasted no time taking a big bit of the fruit. And with sparkling eyes he cheered before eating more. After a good laugh and 15 minutes cutting fruits all the squirrels were happily eating while I poured my cup of coffee and set it down next to our fruit as Alya happily ate hers.

"Now let's see if Twink knows anything about what happened to my arm." I said as I pulled my earpiece from my bag and slipped it on my ear and pulled up my display.

"Good morning Twink." I called out before I saw her pop up on the display.

"Good morning to you as well. How are you feeling?" She asked with concern as I cut a couple more fruits and slipped them in the bag for her.

"A little drained of magic and hungry but other than a new arm I'm all good. Speaking of, I was kinda hoping you could shed some light on that matter." I said as I took a sip of my coffee while she pulled up the fruit.

"Actually I believe I have figured out how that happened." She said as a picture of me before the new arm and after popped up.

"Yesterday when I scanned your magic flow I found a spell that was placed on your shoulder." She said as a small flame showed on the display where my arm should be.

"It's called The Phoenix Tear. This spell gathers magic from the host as surrounding area then covered that magic to healing energy and can painlessly heal anything given it has enough magic but yesterday it was accelerated by Discord's chaos magic causing a massive magic build up and that pretty much forced rapid cell growth and pain. The hair and nails are just a side effect of the rapid growth and can be easily maintained by normal hygiene care." She said before the pictures on the display disappeared.

"Alright that explains the new arm but also raises a new question. How did the spell get there to begin with?" I asked as I scratched Alya while she relaxed with a full belly of fruity goodness.

"That was something that concerns me." She said with a downcast look.

"I did a complete search through the archives and only found to beings that knew the spell one being your mother and the other was the one who taught her." She said sadly while looking away.

"And who was that?" I asked as a sense of unease washed over me.

"...your father, Cyrus Lilly." She said as she looked me in the eyes. Everything stopped for a brief second as an old photo of my pregnant mother sitting on a picnic blanket with a tall man with long dark red hair and ears sitting next to her with his hand on her belly.

"I asked mom about dad a few times but I dropped it because she would start to cry. She told me that he was kind, smart, and very loving but something happened to him before we moved to a new home and she would never tell me what happened." I said as I looked at the photo.

"That's a cute couple." Someone said beside me.

"AHH (poof) ….you laugh and I'll punt you all the way to ponyville." I said as I glared at Blake with his paw over his mouth holding back his laughter at my tiny form.

"Pfft you..ha ha you look like a plushy." He said with a few tears in his eyes.

(Sigh) "I really need to work on that. Twink, let 's talk more about this later." I said when I noticed the sun start to rise.

"Very well but may I request you to come into the library for that discussion?" She asked with sadness in her eyes.

"Yeah I can do that. Goodbye for now." I said before I closed the display.

"That's pretty cool." Blake said as he watched the display fade away.

"I know right. I got my own holographic display. Now on with the day." I said before I Let out a loud whistle.

"Ow what was that for?" Blake asked while rubbing his ears.

"Just give it a second and you'll see." I said as I watched the squirrels scatter into the forest.

"Cool you can scare squirrels." He said sarcastically.

"Oh that's not what that was for." I said with a smirk before a large Timberwolf jumped out of the forest and ran right up to the table.

"Hey brambles buddy." I said affectionately as I pet his head with his twigy tail.

"That thing still gives me the creeps." He said as a small shutter ran down his furry back.

"Did….did you honestly not see him walk up too?" I asked as I pointed my paw up to the massive wood wolf Twiggles.

"Hello." Twiggles said with a slight nod. Blake just froze as all the blue drained from his fur before he fell over stiff like a stuffed cat toy. Me on the other hand fell on my back laughing my fluffy tail off.

"HAHAHAHAHA THAT WAS PERFECT HAHAHAHAHA! Oh man I needed that hahaha." I said as I sat back up and wiped away a few tears as Twiggles and Bramble looked on with tilted heads.

"Haha anyways Twiggles how's everything in the forest." I asked as Blake's color returned.

"It has been quiet master. The only issue we had as of late is a few groups of bug like ponies we chased off." He said proudly.

"Hmmm I'll look into that later. If they return and I'm here, let me know when you find them. In the meantime, I would like your pack to keep an eye on a village in the forest called Sunny Town. It won't be that had to find just follow the smell of death." I said as I watched with a smile Alya tickle Blake's side until he burst out laughing.

"I know of this place. It was forsaken by the forest as dark magic took control of it. We cannot enter its borders but we will patrol the outskirts." He said before turning to leave.

"Thank you. Now with that out of the way how about we get some breakfast and wake up the girls." I said as Alya flew over to my head while Blake tried to catch his breath.

"Breakfast sounds good….got any bacon?" He asked as I looked at him with a smile before we went inside.

(Time skip after breakfast)

"Dude I've never seen anyone eat as much as you did. Are you sure you're not saiyan because I'm sure you can match Goku in an eating contest." Blake said while walking next to me. He turned into his human-like form as well as me.

"Dad, what's a saiyan?" Rosy asked from her perch on my head.

"I'll show you when you get home today. Actually we could have a marathon tonight." I said with a smile.

"Wait, you got DBZ here? I miss anime so much. Nice baby Yoda shirt by the way." Blake said as he pointed out my shirt.

"I have no idea what you guys are talking about." Merrin said with a confused look.

"Give it time my dear. Anyway I hope Discord is over at Fluttershy's place." I said as we left the forest and headed to ponyville.

"I think he left with Princess Celestia after you passed out yesterday." Merrin said as we walked down the path.

"Well crud I was kinda hoping he would help me get some gates working at the outpost. Maybe Twilight could help." I said as I pulled out three pairs of round cut gems with each pair having matching runes and about the size of a bit out of my bag.

"You know it still amazes me how large and abundant gemstones can be here." Blake said as I put the gems away.

"I know right and get this there's even a pony here that can pretty much X-ray the ground to find them." I said with a smile as we entered town.

"And gem are a dragon's favorite snack too." Merrin said as she pulled a sapphire from her mane and crunched it.

"But wait, aren't you a pony?" Blake asked with a surprised look as the pony chewed up her snake.

"Looks can be deceiving my friend. She had an incomplete spell cast on her that turned her part dragon." I said as Merrin lowered her head expecting Blake to recoil in fright.

"Badass, so can you like breath fire and stuff?" Blake said with excitement causing Merrin to look up in surprise.

"Um yeah." Merrin said with a small blush.

"She's really stronger too." Rosy said, making the blush deepen.

"Good morning Mr. Fox!" Said three fillies in unison as they skidded to a halt in front of us.

"Mornin girls. Looks like you're getting a bit faster with your wings." I said with a smile as Rosy fluttered down to Sweetie Bell with Tammy on her head.

"Yep Rainbow Dash has been helping me a lot with wing exercises. I can even hover for a few seconds now." She said with pride before flying a few feet off the ground.

"That's great Scoots. Keep it up and you'll be soaring in no time. Now y'all get to class before your late and here." I said as I pulled a picnic basket from my bag.

"I made y'all some fresh veggies lunches." I said as I put the basket in their wagon.

"Thanks dad you're the best." Rosy said before flying into my chest for a hug and then left with the crusaders.

"Gotta love those girls." I said as I watched them leave.

"So what's up with those three anyway?" Blake asked as we continued to Twilight's place.

"They are the cutie mark crusaders. They are bullied all the time for not having a cutie mark and when they met each other they became close friends with the same goal, finding their marks. Now they try anything to get them and have loads of fun while doing it." I said with a smile.

"Yeah I always see them running all over the place trying new things and helping around town if they're not causing trouble." Merrin said with a giggle as we made it to the Golden Oak Library.

"How is that tree still alive?" Blake asked as I knocked on the door.

"I'll be right there." Spike yelled from the other side.

"Magic mostly." I said as the door opened and the tiny green and purple dragon poked his head out.

"Oh hi Fox." He said with a smile.

"Mornin Spike, is Twilight in I could use her help with some magic." I said as I tossed up a few of the rune gems.

"Sure thing. TWILIGHT FOX IS HERE AND WANTS SOME HELP WITH MAGIC!! He yelled out before letting us in and closed the door. Right after he called out there was a large crash from up stairs before the purple unicorn appeared in a flash right in front of me with sparkling eyes.

"Fox, I'm so happy you're ok. After that magic surge and your new arm growing back you passed out from magical exhaustion. Princess Celestia said you would be alright and took you home before going back to Canterlot with Discords. What happened? Was that some kind of spell? How did it get there? Is the way the arm looks a side effect? If it was a spell, can it be used on other creatures." She said as she inspected my new arm.

"Twilight." I said calmly.

"If so, imagine the potential of that spell in modern health care." She said as she popped in a scroll and quill.

"Twilight." I said with a bit more force making spike hide a chuckle with his claw.

"Does it work for any limb or just arms? Can it work for lost wings or horns?" She said in fashionation as the quill flew over the paper.

"Twilight stop please." I said as I placed my hand on her muzzle making her blush a bit.

"I'll give you all the details I know later but first I would like your help with something because I'm kinda low on magic right now ok." I said calmly as I pulled my hand away.

"Hehe sorry I get kinda excited about new magic. Anyway, what can I help you with?" She asked before the paper and quill disappeared.

"I need you to link some rune stones together with magic." I said as I held out the gems.

"Interesting and what will they do?" She asked as she held one up to look at.

"These are gate runes. Once they are linked together you can put one on any door frame and its pair on another and they will link both doors together. Like how the door on my cart can open up to my house. I'm using them for my trade outpost so I can bring my cart back." I said happily as I watched her light up with excitement.

"SPIKE take notes." She said before making a stack of papers and quills appear next to him before she started to pull out books from the shelf.

"This might take a while." Spike said while shaking his head.

"That's cool I need to do some shopping for the outpost anyway so I'll check back in later." I said as I set the gems down on the table.

"You better. I'm still interested in that spell used on your arm." Twilight said with her nose in a book.

"Don't worry I'm still going to. Bye y'all." I said as we walked out the door only to bump into a familiar face next to an unknown one.

"Sup Vinyl." I said with a smile.

"Nothing much, just showing my cousin Rift around town. He just came in over from Trottington." She said pointing a hoof at the dark gray unicorn with a neon rainbow short mohawk main and short cut tail. He had three gold piercings in his left ear. He had a gold short chain with an emerald guitar pick.

"Sweet, nice to meet you, Rift. I'm Fox." I said as I held out a fist and got a bump from his hoof before whispering something to Vinyl.

"Yep he's the guy that can break my barriers." She said getting some more whispers from him.

"I bet you fifty bits he can." She replied, getting a hoof bump from him.

"OK I missed something. Is there something wrong with him." Blake said, getting an angry glare from the neon mane stallion and an arm punch from me.

"No he's just not a talker unless he trusts you. So Fox, you want to help me win a bet?" She asked with a smirk and raised brow.

"Depends what's the bet." I asked with interest.

My cuz here doesn't believe me that you broke my sound barriers. He's the one who taught me those spells and wants to put his barrier to the test. So you in?" She asked with Rift giving a proud smile and nod.

"So you want me to intentionally break his barrier?" I said as my smile grew.

"Yep." She said with a smirk turning to a smile.

"Well then, I guess I got a bet to win. Let me guess rocker right?" I asked, getting a smirk and nod.

"I think I know a good song to play." I said as we made our way to the music shop.

(A few minutes later.)

"Alright. I'll be lead guitar, Blake's on second guitar, Rift can you play base?" I asked as we set everything up outside the shop so I don't break Vinyl's window again. With a nod he went into the shop and came back out with a black and neon bass guitar.

"Sweet, all we need now is a drummer." I said as I looked over the setups.

"Pickmepickmepickme!" Said a pink puffy mane bouncing in front of my face.

"Hi Pinkie. Can you play drums?" I asked with a smile at the over excited mare.

"You betcha I even have my own set." She said as she pulled an entire cotton candy blue and pink drum set with party decorations all over it, from behind her back.

"What...but...how?" Blake asked with wide eyes.

"First rule of Pinkie, don't ask how." Merrin said from the side.

"Alright Pinks your on drums." I said happily as I picked up my borrowed red and black electric guitar and Blake had a blue and white guitar.

"OK guys, you're all set up. Now all that's left is the barrier." Vinyl said before a bright neon green dome formed over us.

"YAY LETS ROCK!!" Pinkie yelled before jumping behind her drum set.

"One second before we start." I said as I used my magic to make three kitsune masks with the bottom missing.

"One white and blue swirl for Blake, a cotton candy pink swirl for Pinkie, and a black and neon for Rift.

"What's with the fox masks?" Blake asked as he inspected his.

"Nothing really. I just think it adds a bit of flare for the show." I said as I pointed out to a small crowd that had formed from curiosity.

"Okay." He said with a raised brow before slipping the mask on.

"Let's do this. Sorry Rift but you lost that bet. Let the music flow." I said as I tapped my mark and the beat started.

(Play All it Takes from Divide Music.)

I step up to the mic.

(I won't step aside for anyone)
(Won't run and hide, I will overcome)

-And the the music kick up hard, shattering his barrier instantly making it rain green sparkling lights as Blake kicked off the intro.-

THERE MUST BE SOMETHING IN THE WATER, I DON'T REALLY KNOW
FROM WHO I WAS TO WHO I AM, I HAD SO FAR TO GO

ONE PUNCH!All that I need to send you back to hell

NO ONE! Could ever hold me inside of my shell

ONE PUNCH! Down on your knees, this look it suits you well

OUTCOME! There's only one, but only time will tell

-as the music went on the crowd grew. All were bouncing and bobbing their heads to the music. My mark flew above us and began to pulsing with color waves of light.

I used to be nobody
'Till the day came where I made a change

I won't step aside for anyone
Won't run and hide, I will overcome
Try your best, but what's done is done
All it takes is one
I won't step aside for anyone
Won't run and hide, I will overcome
Try your best, but what's done is done
All it takes is one
ONE PUNCH!

-Vinyl was in the back with her sound board and muffled my voice-

What happens when the challenge starts to get old?
Always feel I'm in control
These better days are shared by those who wouldn't know
That strength has its toll

-I looked over and saw a massive crowd had gathered. Blake, Rift, and Pinkie were really getting into the music and was banging her head with the music.-

I used to be nobody
'Till the day came where I made a change

I won't step aside for anyone
Won't run and hide, I will overcome
Try your best, but what's done is done
All it takes is one
I won't step aside for anyone
Won't run and hide, I will overcome
Try your best, but what's done is done
All it takes is one
ONE PUNCH!

-as Blake finished off the song with a scream of yeah. Then on the last beat my mark burst in light and Pinkies drums blasted confetti and streamers behind us and the crowd went nuts with cheers.-

"Man, I'm so glad my arm is back. That was awesome." I said with a large smile as I set down the guitar.

"That was so much fun." Pinkie said with excitement as she bounced around.

"Dude you have got to come do some shows with me." Vinyl said with a hoof bump as Merrin walked up and Alya flew back to my neck for a nuzzle.

"The crowd loved it." She said as the crowd dispersed back to their normal things.

"Pay up cuz your barrier didn't last a second with my Fox dude on mic." Vinyl said as Rift pulled his mask off before pulling a bag of bits from his mane and gave it to her as he whispered something in her ear.

"Really cuz?" She asked with surprise as Rift nodded his head with a deep blush before walking up to me to give the mask back.

"Na you keep it I made it for you anyway." I said before his blush deepened as he put the mask in his mane before reaching up to his emerald guitar pick earring and took it off and held it out to me.

"Are you giving me your pick?" I asked, shocked at the gesture.

"You were the first stallion to ever break my barriers with their music and I want you to have it." He said in a soft voice that he would rival Fluttershy's. I looked over to Vinyl whose jaw was wide open and her shades halfway down her muzzle.

"Sweet Celestia he spoke to you and he rarely says a word to anypony." She said in surprise.

"Thank you. I will cherish it." I said as I took it from his hoof and clipped it next to my violin before an idea popped up in my head and looked as his guitar strapped to his back.

"Is that bass yours?" I asked before his smile grew as he took it off to show me and I took it in my hands.

"It's a very nice guitar. Do you mind if I do something with it. I promise I will not hurt it in any way possible." I asked and got a nod from the blushing stallion. I then let my mind wander as my magic formed around the guitar.

"Let's start with an air blue opal just under the strings." I said as my magic made the stone and fused it to the bass.

"Now a size change spell." I said as a flash came from the stone and the bass shrunk to the size of my violin.

"Lastly, a platinum chain and clip." I said as it began to form from the neck of the bass and with that the magic faded as the new bass earring fell into my palm.

"Here now you have a stylish and functional earring. All you have to do is activate the spell on it with your magic and it will grow back to normal size and vice versa." I said as I held it out to him. His eyes sparkled as he took it from my hand and clipped it to his ear before looking at me with a deep blush then hugged me quickly and I swear I heard a low growl from Merrin, don't know why. After he let go he ran up to Vinyl and started to push her down the path to the train station.

"Whoa chill dude. Haha later guys." Vinyl said before she was pushed out of sight.

"He seemed like a nice guy." I said with a smile as Merrin leaned against my leg for some reason.

"He was really nice at his party yesterday. Thanks for all the fun Foxy." Pinkie said before bouncing over to sugarcube corner.

"Dude, that guy was macin on you hard." Blake said with a smirk.

"What do you mean?" I asked with a raised brow and for Blake to facepalm.

"You can't be that oblivious. I'm pretty sure you're going to be in his next wet dream." He said with a deadpan expression.

"Why would he have a dream of swimming with me?" I asked in confusion.

"Yeah, not going into that one. Haha ask that dream Princess aunt of yours." He said with a laugh before my stomach interrupted us.

"Ugh I used a bit of magic now I'm incredibly hungry. How about some lunch y'all. I really need to bring my cart back." I said before heading to the local café with my friends at my side.