• Published 26th May 2020
  • 4,056 Views, 106 Comments

The Mystic Fox - Mysticfox



A new but old race comes back to the world of ponies but he is alone

  • ...
7
 106
 4,056

Chapter 16: A Knights Duty Part 1

Author's Note:

HI EVERYBODY I'M BACK. I hope I didn't keep you waiting long. Here the next chapter its going to be 2 parts. I hope yall like it and please let me know what yall think. Anyway enjoyenjoy...Now edited.

Mostly:pinkiehappy:

Chapter 16: A Knight's Duty. Part: 1

The sun was just peeking over the trees when I was woken up by something wet slapping my face.

"Mmm stop that. I'm up, I'm up." I said as I tried to push Bramble away from my face.

"Morning dad." Rosy said as I sat up and stretched my back.

"Morning hun. Yawn let's get this day started." I said as Rosy left the room giggling with Brambles right behind her.

"I'll be down in a bit. Can you wake up merrin we have to catch an early train to Baltimare." I said as I scratched my back and headed for the bathroom to wash off the timberwolf slobber on my face. I really have to find something for his smell, I mean it's not that back but still noticeable.

"I wonder if they make a potion for that. Hmm I'll look it up later." I said as I turned on my sink and slashed some water on my face before grabbing a towel to dry off.

"Well hey there cutie." Said a voice in front of me. I slowly lowered the towel and in the mirror was a small chibi Pinkie Pie holding what looked like a smartphone.

"(Click) TWILIGHT IT'S A DIMENSION POTION!" Pinkie yelled after she took my picture.

"Really? Hold on I'll be right there." Said a voice that sounds like Twilight.

"Yyyeeeaaahhh. I… I'm just going to close this now." I said as I focused my magic in my hand before slowly closing the portal but before it closed, the tiny Pinkie slipped a white and blue sparkly frosted cupcake through the portal right before it closed.

"Dad, who are you talking to...and what's up with the cupcake?" Rosy asked as she stuck her head in the doorway.

"Um Pinkie Pie." I said with a raised brow before taking a bit of the cupcake with a smile.

"Ok well Merrin is up and in the kitchen." Rosy said before quickly running off to the kitchen. I chuckled a bit before popping the treat in my mouth and headed for the kitchen to get breakfast started.

After a good pancake breakfast and sorting out the piles of produce the squirrels left out for me. I put what I wanted in my bag and put a portion of it in a few crates I made with an enchantment to keep them staying fresh. I wanted to send them up to Canterlot for my aunts to enjoy and sent them up with the help of a portal spell I learned in the library. Once all that was done Merrin, Rosy and I were now outside the school to drop off Rosy.

"Aw do I have to. You two get to go but I'm stuck here at school." Rosy said with her head held down.

"Rosy did you forget. After school you can just take the door and be right there with us. Plus it's going to be a long train ride to Baltimare anyways so you won't be missing much." I said as I ruffled her mane.

"Oh yeah I forgot about that." Rosy said with her hoof on her chin before we were greeted by a couple of fillies.

"Hi Mr. Fox." Scootaloo said as she, sweetie belle and Applebloom ran up next to Rosy.

"Well hey there girls." I said with a smile and wave before Bramble barked happily with his tongue out the side of his mouth and his twiggy tail wagging.

"Whoa is that a timberwolf?" Applebloom asked.

"Is...is that thing safe." Sweetie Belle asked while hiding behind Scootaloo.

"Yep this is Bramble our new puppy." Rosy said as she pet the wooden pup.

(Dong Dong).

"Alright everypony time for class." Cheerilee called from the door to the school as all the colts and fillies ran through.

"Oh before you girls go I made yall some lunch." I said as I pulled out the lunch of veggie sandwiches, fruit salad and small cups of parfaits then handed them to Rosy.

"Thanks dad. See you after school." Rosy said before her and the CMC ran through the door to school.

"Aw now I want a lunch box." Merrin said as we turned and headed for the train station.

"Don't worry I made us some lunch too. Now come on, the train will be here soon." I said before I jumped in the sky. I can definitely see why Rainbow Dash never really walks anywhere. Flying is nice.

"(Poof) There we go." I said after we landed outside the station and I changed into my big fox form then stretched out like a cat.

"I'm still trying to get used to that. So what's the plan? You never told me what or where we're going." Merrin said as we walked up the platform to the ticket booth.

"Wait I never told you. Well we're or I'm on a mission. There have been reports of trade ships and their crews going missing and we have to find out what's going on and put a stop to it." I said as we came up to the ticket booth.

"Two tickets for Baltimare please." I said, the dark gray earth pony running the stand.

"That will be 4 bits please. Oh wait are you Sir Fox Lilly?" He asked as he looked over me.

"Yes that's me." I said with a smile.

"We got a letter yesterday from the palace with this rail pass. So this to the clerks on the train it will let you and up to 3 guests ride free." He said happily as he handed me a small card.

"Well that was very nice of them. I'll have to make them something later. Thank you very much Sir." I said with a wave before we went to wait for the train to come.

"Alright back to what I was saying. Once we get to Baltimare we're taking a ship to Sheer lanca to investigate. It will take us about two day to make it there by ship and a week to figure out what's going on." I said before I heard the train whistle.

"Oh cool so it's like a secret mission." Merrin said with excitement.

"Yeah kinda. You see the ships that have been disappearing are equestrian trade ships and they never make it to port." I said as the train came to a stop and we boarded.

"But wait aren't we taking an equestrian ship if the princesses sent you on this mission?" Merrin asked as we found our seats and sat down with Bramble laying down next to me.

"Um excuse me sir but pets aren't allowed to roam freely in the train car and needs to be put in a pet carrier." The train usher said unsurely.

"Hmm oh he's not a pet he's a puppy. Tell me have you ever seen a timberwolf this small before." I said as Bramble played his part as a dummy while I moved his legs around with a paw.

"But I saw him move and jump up to the seat." He said as he looked for any strings.

"Well I did just put him together last night so I wanted to make sure it moved properly." I said as I set Brambles down and quickly attached some magic thread to him and my paw making him move.

"Hmmm alright. Ticket please?" He asked. I wanted to be a little funny this morning so I gave my pass to Bramble and had him walk up to him with a wagging tail.

"Um thanks...wait this is a royal pass, why do you have one." He asked as he glared down at me.

"The princesses gave that to me." I said as I started to get a little annoyed at his tone.

"I find that hard to believe that they would give some lowly puppeteer a pass like this and to a fox no less." He said with a pompous attitude as he held his nose up high. By this point I was getting pretty pissed at him until a lime green pegasus mare with grass green mane and a flower meadow cutie mark walked up with a forest green unicorn filly with dark wood brown mane on her back walked up next to the usher.

"Um excuse me sir but would you happen to be Sir Fox Lilly." She asked shyly.

"That I am what can I do for you ma'am?" I asked with a smile.

"We were there that day of the wedding in Canterlot and you saved us." The mare said as her colt hopped off her back.

"Thank you very much mister. Um can…can I have your autograph please?" He asked with big puppy dog eyes.

"Sure but instead of an autograph how about this." I said as I held out my paw and with a flick of my wrist and helped with my magic I made a shiny apple red fox pendant and floated it to his chest.

"Whoa thanks Mr. Fox." He said happily as he looked at the pendant before showing his mom.

"Thank you Sir Fox. I hope you have a wonderful day." The mare said before headed to find a seat as I looked to the very shocked usher with a smirk.

"Can I have my pass back please?" I asked very politely.

"Oh oh of course sir. Here you are." He said quickly as he handed me my pass back before leaving to tend to the other passengers.

"Hahaha the look on his face was priceless." Merrin said as she tried to hold in her laughter.

"Yeah I hate it when people or ponies in this case look down on others just because of how they look or act." I said as Bramble layed in my lap and Alya nuzzled my cheek.

"I know what you mean." She said as she tapped her amulet. With a whistle blow the train left the station and we were on our way. We talked for a good long time before our stomachs growled and I pulled out our lunch. After a good lunch I decided to look back over some notes.

"Hey Merrin I'm sorry to bring this up but I was looking back over my notes about that dragon Thorn and from what I can tell is that he took something from your village as well as something from a forest outside the crystal Empire, a large black crystal if I'm not mistaken. What were they and why did he take them." I asked while looking at my display.

"That crystal has been in our village for a very long time. My ancestors called it a key stone said to hold dark power that was sealed away. Up until the attack I thought it was just a scary story my grandpa told but now I don't know and now there's no pony left to ask." Merrin said sadly.

"Hmm maybe the library has some info on it." I said before pulling my ear piece out.

"Wait what library?" She asked, tilting her head.

"I have what's known as the world library. Any book, text, or scroll of this world is stored there and new material is always added. It's called the Fox Tomes." I said as I slipped on my ear piece.

"Really so what's like it's librarian?" She asked as a little box screen popped up in the corner of my display.

"Haha no I'm the owner, this is the librarian. Good morning Twink." I said as Twink showed up in the box.

"Good morning Fox what can I do for you?" She asked with a smile.

"Firstly let me introduce my friend Merrin." I said as I turned the display so she could see.

"Um good morning." Merrin said with a small head bow.

"Good morning to you too. Hmm a dragon curse and ancient one as well." Twink said as she looked Merrin over.

"I'll get to that in a moment. Twink I need to see if we have any information on ancient keystones that look like large black crystals." I said as I looked over my notes.

"Can you be a little more specific?" She asked.

"Let's see , the best way to put it is that it is very large and black. As of right now I only know of two. One was taken from the forest of Mera and the other from a village with an ancient background. Both were taken by a large black dragon named Thorn." I said as I set her my notes.

"One moment...hmm now this is odd I can't find anything about the keystones but I have found information on Thorn. I'll send it to your display and I'll continue to search the archives for the keystones." Twink said as the file popped up.

"Thanks Twink, I'll make you something tasty later. Oh and I'll drop in tonight for a visit and wander around the shelfs a bit." I said before closing the link and opened the file but found a hoof poking through the screen.

"Ok so I know magic is pretty cool but this is nuts. How does this even work?" Merrin asked as she waved her hoof through the display.

"Haha honestly, I'm still working that out but I think it's because back in the world where I'm from we technically that worked the same way but no magic involved." I said with a smile as I tried to keep her hoof out of it.

"Like that TV thing." She said with wide eyed focus on the display still trying to mess with it.

"Hahaha alright quit it and let me read, will ya." I said with a chuckle before gently pushing her away.

"Hehe sorry." She said with a goofy smile.

"Alright let's see what It says." I said as I opened the file and by the way the documents looked they were old and a bit worn but still readable.

"Whoa this looks like an old journal entry. Lets see 'It's been 26 moons since I left for my journey to find new magic but today I stumbled upon something never seen before, a battle between two dragon lords. I was passing through the far borders of Mt. Ember when a massive black dragon flew overhead and let loose a mighty roar that blew the clouds from the sky.'

'The dragon hovered for a moment before another roar was heard in the distance. I scanned the skies and saw another large dark blue-gray dragon with fire orange wings an black chest plate armor heading straight for the black dragon. I knew this was something I must witness so I quickly teleported to a nearby cliff and quickly hid behind a rock just before the black dragon shouted out a challenge to the now named Torch. Torch roared before accepting the challenge from the black dragon Thorn and the battle commenced.'

'The battle lasted a full two day before a victore was decided. I would run out of ink trying to describe this battle but I can describe the ending bout. They stood far apart facing each other both beaten and bloody before Thorn spread his wing and shot into the sky with Torch right behind him. They flew so high I could barely see them in the sunset sky when suddenly a ball of fire as bright as the sun turned dusk to day and began to fall.'

'The last thing I can remember was the image of Torch slamming Thorn into the earth sending a massive shockwave that sent me flying back into a rock knocking me unconscious. When I came to I was met with a scene of scorched earth and a wide deep crater. In the center lie Thorn motionless and cold, the victor was Torch. With one last look around, thankful I was able to witness such an event I picked up my favorite hat and dusted off making the bell jingle before placing it on my dead and continued onward on my journey'

'S.W.'

"That's all there is. Ok so if what this says is true then Thorn should be dead right?" Merrin asked in confusion.

"Hmm I don't know. It's possible but the only one that would know for sure would be this Torch or this S.W. and by how old this looks I say it would be the former. I'll start looking into possibilities later but for now I think it's time for a snack." I said as I closed the display and pulled out a few strawberry cream sandwiches and passed some to her.

"So Merrin what did you do for work around your village, if you don't mind me asking." I said before setting down half of my sandwich for Tammy and Alya to enjory, the other half went to Bramble.

"Oh I helped my grandma with the village records. The village got most of its bit by selling things gathered from the forest seasonally. Like fruits, wild vegetables, herbs, and using fallen trees for lumber every so often. We don't like to cut the trees down so we could keep the forest lush and bountiful." Merrin said happily before taking a large bite of her sandwich.

"Well that's good to hear. Did you like doing the records?" I asked as I thought about my produce market.

"Yeah I was always good at record keeping and a little bit with handling bits for the village too." Merrin said with a bit of cream stuck to her muzzle making me chuckle.

"Well then if that's the case how would you like to work for me? I'm starting a small produce market with the gardens out back and could use some help. I'll pay you if you're up for it." I said hopefully that she'll take it.

"Hmm I don't see why not and now I won't feel too bad for living with you and not being able to pay my own way, so yeah I'll do it." Merrin said before eating the other half of her sandwich in one bite.

"Awesome let me show you what I want to do." I said as I pulled back up my display to go over my plans. We must have lost track of time because the next thing I heard was the announcement.

"We will be arriving in Baltimare in five minutes. Please have all your luggage and family ready to exit the train. Thank you for riding the Equestrian Express." The announcement said.

"Oh I can't wait to get off this train.Well I have all our stuff already in my bag so we're good there." I said as I pat my bag and made sure my napping critters were cozy in my hair. I'm glad Alya already lost her baby fluff feathers and Tammy surprisingly doesn't shed.

"Cool look at those tall buildings. I've never been to a city before and I thought Canterlot was big." Merrin said as we looked out the window.

"No kidding. I'm glad Aunt Tia set us up a hotel room for the night and she gave me the address. Let hope we don't get lost." I said as my mind began wondering around ideas.

"(Swish, swish, swish.) Pfft Fox has your um pfft your tail." She said as she pointed to my wagging tail.

"I can't help it. A city this large and a harbor city too, it must have a great market. I've always wanted to see a large market." I said as I looked at the city with excitement.

"Didn't you have a market like that where you're from?" She asked as we pulled into a large train station.

"Oh there was plenty in my world but I never left my home. Me and mom would either gather and grow food or mom would take the truck to a town that was a few hours but I never really wanted to leave until I came here." I said as we stepped off the train and marvelled at the tall skyscrapers sparkling in the afternoon sun. Ponies constantly on the move and every so often I could see griffins fly by.

"That's a lot of ponies." Merrin said as she looked around at the crowds of colorfully ponies.

"Hahaha it looks like someone blew up a Skittles factory." I said with a laugh.

"What's Skittles?" Merrin asked, tilting her head.

"They're small colorful fruit flavored chewy candy. Kinda wish I had some." I said as my stomach growled.

"Um ok. So where are we going?" She asked before I pulled out the hotel address and name then looked around until I saw a brown earth pony hooked up to a yellow and black taxi cart.

"Let's take a taxi. I really don't want to walk through this crowd." I said before making our way over to the driver.

"Excuse me bud but are you open for a ride." I asked with a smile.

"Sure thing. I got time for another run before my coffee break. Hop in pal and tell me where you need to get to." He said before tightening up his cart harness.

"Sweet. We're going to the Sagamare Pondry." I said as we hoped in and showed him the address making him whistle.

"That's a pretty fancy place. Just sit tight and I'll get you there no problem." He said happily before mixing with the traffic

"Hey bud is there a good size market here?" I asked the pony pulling us.

"Oh you bet. It's not as big as the Manehatten market but I'm pretty sure you can find what you need and it's just a block away from your hotel." He said with a smile.

"That's so awesome. What about a night market?" I asked with some excitement.

"Yep. That's when most of the food stalls come out and let me tell ya the street food here can beat out most of the high end restaurants in this city." He said as he weaved through traffic.

"Oh it just keeps getting better. I wonder if I can set up my cart there." I said as thoughts of what to cook filled my head.

"Then you need to talk to miss Talon. She runs the market and can set you up but she might have you cook something for her and if she likes it you got a spot. Well here you are Sir." He said as we pulled up to a large three story brick building with red banners with the Equestrian royal emblem.

"Don't know how you got a room here though." He said as we stepped out of the cart.

"Why do you say that?" I asked as I pulled some stuff from my bag.

"Well this hotel is normally reserved for royalty, dignitaries, and nobles." He said as I looked at some fancy dressed ponies walking in.

"Whoa must be really nice inside." Merrin said with wide eyes.

"Well thanks for the ride and information." I said happily.

"It's no problem. That will be four bits." He said while holding out his hoof.

Sure here's six. Oh and here." I said passing him the bits and a thermos.

"What this now." He asked as he shook the thermos a little.

"Well you said you were about to take a coffee break right? That is my own special blend of dark roast that I'm positive will keep you going for a while." I said with a smile as he took the lid off and took a whiff.

"Well I can't turn down coffee that smells this good. Thanks pal." He said before putting it in a bag on the cart and pulled away.

"I like that guy." Merrin said as we watched him disappear in the traffic.

"Yeah. Now let's go get our room and wait for Rosy to get out of school so we can do some shopping." I said before walking through the doors into a solid white marble lobby. I looked around the spacious area that had many round black granite tables with gold borders and fluffy white pillows and the front desk was also black granite but then my mood went from happy to disgusted when I noticed a certain blond and white unicorn at the desk.

"What do you mean my room was booked. Me or my Aunts are the only ponies allowed to book it." He said slamming his hoof on the floor.

"I'm...I'm sorry Sir but we got a letter a few days ago to reserve it for an honoured guest." The mare behind the counter tried to say as she cowered back a bit.

"Wait here a sec Merrin." I said as I walked up to the contour.

"It was clearly meant for me." He said angrily, making the mare cower more.

"Excuse me ma'am but is this pony bothering you?" I asked sweetly as I walked up behind Blueblood.

"This is none of your concern, commoner. Now begone." He said with his nose in the air.

"I'm sorry sir but I can not do that for you see I do believe that room is for me." I said with a smile as red began to fill his face.

"Now you listen to her you common filth that room is meant for royalty." I said as he stomped his hoof and turned to me.

"Oh I know." I said with a smile as I watched him go from anger to scaredness back to anger in just a second.

"You! How dare you take my room." He said as ponies began to crowd around us.

"In all honesty Celestia was the one who took the liberty of reserve the room not me but if it means so much to you then go ahead and take it or take your pompous attitudes with you and leave this mare to her job." I said as I looked him in the eyes.

"Take the room. I can't stay in the same building as this trash." He said returning my glare until I looked passed him at the clerks with a black earth pony in a suit and tie watched from behind the counter.

"I'm sorry for what you're about to see." I said with a smile before looking back to blueblood.

"Are you perhaps going back to Canterlot." I said as my smile grew.

"Of course I am. I need a long bath to wash off the stink left by you." He said with a glare as I just nodded my head.

"Then let me help you with that. I learned a new spell and I've been needing to test it out.(Poof)" I said as I opened a portal behind me and changed before turning normal and picked him up by his mane and tail.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR DOING!? UNHOOF ME THIS INSTANT!!" He yelled as I walked up to the portal.

"Oh but Blueblood I'm just trying to save you the long train ride back. Say hi to Aunt Tia and Luna for me." I said as I chucked him through the portal and closed it but not before a splash was heard from the other side.

"Who was that and where did you send him?" Merrin asked as she walked up to me.

"That was the 'high and mighty' prince Blueblood and if the portal opened where I wanted it to he should be swimming in the duck pond in Celestia's garden." I said with a wide smile as we walked back to the counter.

"I'm sorry if he was rude to you ma'am and I'm also sorry for disturbing everypony in this fine hotel." I said with a bow at the now blushing mare.

"Thank you sir but um do you know who that was." She asked with wide eyes.

"Well yeah I wouldn't have done it if i didn't." I said with a smile before the suit pony stepped in.

"I'm sorry sir but who are you." He asked with mild curiosity and a bit of snobbiness.

"Oh I'm sorry that was rude of me not to introduce myself. I am Sir Fox Lilly, knight of Equestria and king of the Everfree. It's nice to meet you." I said with a bow.

"Oh yes Sir Fox we have been expecting you. Glory will you show Sir Fox and his guest to their room please." He said politely as he gave her the room key.

"Yes sir. Please sir right this way." Glory said as she walked out from behind the counter and led us to an elevator. Once the door closed she let out a heavy sigh.

"Thank you for that Sir Fox everytime he checks in I'm always the pony that has to deal with him." She said with some relief.

"Is he always that mean and uppity?" Merrin asked as the door opened at our floor.

"Think so. The first time I met him he pushed Rosy down a set of stares and very rudely insulted my mom so I punched him in his muzzle...then wet himself." I said with a bit of anger just thinking about that.

"Good, somepony needs to do it. I don't see how the princesses put up with him. Here you are sir and thanks again for helping." She said with a warm smile as she handed me the key.

"It's no problem Glory and I'll see if Celestia will change his hotels." I said as she walked back to the elevator and I opened the door. It was huge, it was like a home but a really expensive small home. It had a full kitchen with black granite counters and what looked like high end appliances. A large living room with white plush pillows. Did you know they make beds bigger than a king size, it's called the Minotaur and it's made of magic clouds.

"Oh this is nice." I said as I sank into the cloud bed.

"I hope you don't mind me sleeping here because I refuse to be on the couch after this." Merrin said as she wiggled in deeper making me chuckle before a bell rang from the cart.

"Perfect timing Rosy's home." I said as I hopped off the bed and walked into the living room then expanded my cart. I'm glad this place is so big.

"Hey hun how was school?" I asked as I opened the door and Tammy jumped for my head to hers for a hug.

"Hi Rosy." Merrin said happily beside me.

"Hi dad, hi Merrin and hi to you to Tammy." She said giving me a big hug.

"School was good besides Diamond Tiara picking on us because we're blank flanks." She said with a hoof stomp.

"What happened." I asked as Bramble licked her face.

"Haha stop Bramble. She said we would never get one." She said as she hugged Bramble.

"Well what did you do about it?" I asked picking her up.

"I told her to leave us alone and we can have fun looking for ours but she laughed at us." She said sadly.

"You did good standing up for you and your friends and you were right too. A cutie mark does say what you're good at and is part of you but not all of you. What makes a cutie mark truly special is finding it and what you find out about yourself along the way. So in my opinion the longer it takes to find it, the more you learn about yourself and what you're truly meant to be." I said as I gently set her down on the bed and lifted my shirt.

"What would you say my mark means?" I asked before Merrin poked my belly.

"Um love?" Rosy asked with a giggle as I gently slapped Merrin's hoof away.

"That's only one part of it. What this mark means to me is my love for making someone happy. Before I came here and got this mark I always loved to make my mom smile either by making her something special, saying nice things or just a simple hug when she was feeling down but when I came here and found friends and family it helped me understand what it truly meant. Now it's not just my mom anymore that I can make happy." I said with a warm smile.

"I noticed your mark glow when you gave me this and said I could have a normal life again. I was so happy when I saw my own hoofs again." Merrin said holding the amulet in her hoof.

"It glowed when you adopted me too." Rosy said happily before hugging my chest.

"And I couldn't be happier." I said before adding Merrin to the hug.

"So keep looking and when you find it you'll know what it truly means to you. But for now we're in a big city and we got some shopping and cooking to do." I said before I slipped my shirt back on and put Rosy on her perch.

(Huc, huc, belch.) Alya burped up some blue flames that turn into a scroll before sticking out her tongue and hiss at it.

"Sorry girl that may take some time to get used to." I said as I scratched her head before picking up the scroll and opened it.

"What is it?" Merrin asked before I busted out laughing.

"Hey Rosy, you remember that mean pony Blueblood?" I asked as I looked at the letter.

"Hmph yeah." She said as she crossed her hoof.

"Well he was here when we got here but he was being really rude to the ponies that work here so I gave him a one way ticket back to Canterlot. More specifically Tia's duck pond and you know she said?" I said with a chuckle.

"No, what does she say?" She asked while she looked over my head.

"Pfft please don't disturb my duck and he's grounded. Hahahahahaha." I said before we all had a good laugh. After shrinking my cart and showing Rosy around we all headed out of the room to hit up the market.

"Whoooaaa." Rosy said in wonder when we stepped out into the bustling city streets.

"I know right and get this they have a big market not too far from here. I think that taxi pony said it was a few blocks that way." I said as I pointed down the street.

"Well what are we waiting for." She said with excitement as I changed back to a fox so I wouldn't scare the city folk and make Rosy stand on my back.

"Alright to the market." I said as we walked through the crowds and before long we found what we were looking for.

"Oh this is awesome." I said as I looked down the street at all the various stalls selling everything from food to nuts.

"Something smells wonderful." Merrin said as she sniffed the air.

"Just you wait after I shop a bit. I'll add my cooking to the smell." I said with excitement as we started walking down the street. By the time we reached the end I had stuffed my bag with fruits and vegetables I've never heard of as well as some seeds to plant and a burlap sack of assorted nuts.

"Do you really like nuts that much and what's up with these sticks you gave us, they smell kinda sweet?" Merrin asked as she looked at the green stick I gave them.

"That's not just any stick that's sugar cane. Most sugar is processed from its juices and you can also chew it as a sweet treat." I said before Bramble jumped up and took mine and started to gnaw on it.

"Oh your lucky I got more pup." I said, pulling out another piece of cane.

"Mmmm It really is sweet." Rosy said before she started to eat hers.

"Well looks like you found the market alright." Said a familiar voice behind me. I turned and found the taxi pony from earlier with a dark brown and white griffin next to him.

"Oh hey you're that taxi pony. Didn't expect you to be here." I said with a smile.

"Well thanks to your coffee I was able to finish my daily fairs and come spend some time with the misses here." He said as he leaned against the griffin making her blush.

"I'm actually glad to run into you. I just finished shopping and was about to look for that head griffin you told me about." I said before he let a hearty laugh.

"Well you found her." He said pointing to his wife.

"I'm Tallow and this is Bark, my husband and yes I'm the head of this market." She said holding out her talon.

"Well that saves some time. I'm Fox and this little one on my back is Rosy and this is Merrin." I said as I shook her talon.

"(MERF)" Bramble barked out with his cane sticking out of his muzzle and wagging his tale.

"Oh and this is Bramble the timberwolf pup, Tammy the marmoset, and Alya the feathered serpent." I said as they each squeaked out a hello.

"Well this certainly is an interesting bunch. So why were you looking for me?" Tallow asked with a smirk.

"I was wondering if there might be an open spot to set up my food cart." I asked with a smile.

"Hmm there is a large spot that just opened up. The pony who was there before had moved away. Are you looking to rent or buy that lot." She asked as she pointed out a large open space behind us.

"Rent please. We're only gonna be here for the night before we sail out in the morning." I said as I pulled a bag of bits from my bag.

"But before we set up I would like to see your cart as well as try your cooking." She said with a smirk.

"Alright. Rosy darling what should we cook for this fine couple?" I asked as I unclipped my cart and made it grow getting away from everyone around us.

"I want your noodles." She happily demanded with a hoof held high.

"Noodles it is. I got plenty of vegetables and seafood. So what would you like Miss Tallow." I asked before I stepped inside my cart.

"Seafood please and one vegetable for Bark." She said as they walked up to the front.

"Right away ma'am. Merrin, Rosy you two will take orders and send them out to the customers." I said as I set my bag down.

"Right." They both said happily as I stretched out my paws and filled my cart with magic.

"Alright let's start the show." I saw happily as fire erupted from the burners.

"First we need to get the woks and oil hot." I said as I placed them on the burners.

"Then we need to boil a pot of water." I said as a pot of water popped up behind me on a burner.

"Next the veggies. Zucchini, carrots, broccoli, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms all thinly sliced." I said as I used my magic to pull them from my bag and cut them up as they floated to the hot woks.

"Now we add some wheat noodles to the pot while we cook the veggies." I said as I quickly stirred the veggies while I used my magic to put the noodles in the water.

"After stirring the veggies we can add some shrimp, scolps, and squid rings to one of the woks. All of this is from this market by the way." I said as I stirred them in.

"Now we add the noodles and sauce. We'll go with a bit of soy sauce and teriyaki sauce for the veggie and soy sauce, Hudson sauce, and a little bit of oyster sauce as well as some fresh garlic. Then mix well." I said as I began to quickly flip the food high in the woks.

"Once everything is browned we slide it onto the plate from the wok and top it off with chopped spring onions." I said as I chopped the onion straight onto the plate as I set them on the counter before a large amount of cheers sounded. I was so focused on cooking I never noticed a crowd had grown in front of the cart.

"That was quite the show and you can use magic?" Bark asked with a surprised look.

"Yep, now please eat while it's hot." I said with a wide smile.

"Well it definitely smells delicious." Tallow said as she picked up her plate and took the first bite.

"Mmmmmmm oh my Celestia this is amazing. The vegetables are cooked perfectly and the squid is surprisingly tender." She said before scooping up another fork full.

"I hate to say this honey, this beats your cooking." Bark said as Tallow glared at him before turning to me with a smile.

"Well Fox the spot is yours and since you're only here for the night don't worry about any rent. Oh and Bark no peach cobbler for you for a week." She said before walking away with her food.

"Now wait a sec hun." Bark said as he chased after her before I was rushed with orders from the crowd as I chuckled.

"Alright everyone who's hungry?" I called out before everybody formed a line and we got to work. After an hour or so the crowd thinned out a bit. Tallow had someone set up a few tables and with me cooking and the girls waiting the tables everything was going fine until a very upset Tammy jumped on my head.

"Hey girl what's wrong?" I asked before she jumped to the counter and started to wave her arms as tears rushed down her face.

"Wait if you're here where's Rosy?" I asked as I looked around and started to worry when I could see her.

"Merrin have you seen Rosy." I asked when she walked up to the counter.

"Yeah she just took out an order to the light purple earth pony at that...table." She said pointing to an empty table in the back.

"Tammy did he take her." I asked as my anger and worry grew when she frantically nodded.

"WHO TOOK MY DAUGHTER!?" I shouted as my magic flared, cracking the ground around me.

(END PART 1)