• Published 16th Apr 2020
  • 1,777 Views, 12 Comments

Longing Hearts - The Bricklayer



A girlfriend continents away leaves a longing heart. Thankfully Facetime exists, eh?

  • ...
7
 12
 1,777

Fools Abound Falling in Love

“Owner of a lonely heart, owner of a lonely heart…”

Summer came with a vengeance that year, a boiling sun beating down on Canterlot. Fall was still several months away, and Twilight was convinced she had to be in Hell. In Hell listening to old eighties hits that only her mother generally knew.

Oh well, it wasn’t all bad, Twilight thought with a small smile. She cast a glance to a small picture on her desk, her and a smiling Sunset at the New York World’s Fair. Taken only just last year, it was… well, it was a memory.

That was when everything changed, Twilight honestly didn’t know how it happened or what led up to it. Everything that night was kinda a whirlwind, and next thing she knew she was kissing her best friend and more to the point actually enjoying it.

So… yeah. Just… yeah. Oddly, it turned out that despite this, nothing really actually changed between the two. They were just kissing more. That was a relief, actually. Twilight for the first few days of this new thing between them… well, she spiraled okay? She thought Sunset would hate her kisses, she’d break up with her for a prettier girl -because there were!- and move on with her life. Several deep breaths later and one very reassuring girlfriend later, Twilight had stopped Twilighting as everyone called it. ...Twilight wasn’t sure to be offended or not. Who even used her name as a verb? Like… who? Well, her friends apparently. But still! It wasn’t even proper grammar!

“You’re spiraling again,” a voice inside Twilight’s head, sounding suspiciously like Sunset’s own said to her. “So what if your name is used as a verb? If the boot fits…”

Okay okay, so they could use the term ‘Twilighting’. Twilight wouldn’t fight them over it. ...not that she could anyways. Her karate sucked.

Unlike her girlfriend’s, who Twilight could safely say could kick the ass of anyone who tried taking her on. Magical powers or no magical powers. ...okay, so yeah Twilight was a little envious. All she could do was carry a can of a pepper spray and a rape alarm. Mind you, a knee to the groin probably worked just as well. One shot, one kill. Wasn’t that the saying?

Twilight was envious about a lot of things relating to her girlfriend. She was prettier -no matter how many times Sunset tried to tell her that she was beautiful in her own way- like a goddess descended to Earth. Well, okay that probably wasn’t that far off from the truth given the whole Friendship Games incident. Like, that was full-on magical girl type sh… sorry, type stuff. Magical Girl Sunset-Chan! ….so would that make Ray her obligatory cute creature mascot? Well, I mean, probably.

Twilight snorted, she could just imagine her girlfriend saying: “No no, you’re the cute creature mascot.”

Twilight would have probably melted at the praise, like straight-up melted. Sunset always had a gift with words. Twilight guessed that was why she was on the worldwide tour and not her.

Oh yes, did she forget to mention that? Well, six months ago was when everything changed again. Apparently, someone from some big record company -Twilight forgot the name- had noticed Sunset singing on Youtube and before she could blink signed her on for a record deal and bam! There she was taking the charts by storm, charting higher and higher with each new song released. ...and Sunset had quite a few songs to release, given her gift as a writer. There were a few covers here and there, but most songs she sung were of Sunset’s own creation. So yeah, singer-songwriter Sunset Shimmer. Bit of a step down from being a goddess really.

Though if you asked her fans she still was a goddess. Twilight was torn between agreeing and seething in jealousy. The only one allowed to think thoughts like that about Sunset was her, her own girlfriend!

Sunset, when Twilight brought these concerns to her only smiled and laughed. Kissing her girlfriend atop the forehead, she said: “Well, they’re only waking up to the realization that you figured out long ago. Let them. Besides, you belong to me, Princess.”

Twilight had blushed an interesting shade and stammered out: “P-Princess?”

Sunset’s answer? “Well, every goddess deserves a beautiful Princess, right? I think you fit the bill quite nicely!”

“If… if you say so…” Twilight had murmured then. Her self-esteem having been given a considerable boost for that day, she tried not to die of embarrassment overload. Let it never be said Twilight wasn’t a romantic. The many romantic novels on her shelves she tried to keep from Rarity -knowing she’d never hear the end of it- were a testament to that!

Mind you, for some reason she had yet to explain, Twilight hadn’t touched one of them in months after she started dating Sunset. Odd, that. No real explanation.

Mind you, it wasn’t all romance novels and self-assurances. Twilight was an armchair adventurer, mind you this was mostly because she couldn’t be bothered to leave her house unless urged. So yeah, taking road trips to New Orleans or to Los Angeles or to New York? Forget about it. And that was assuming if she got to New Orleans and to Los Angeles and to New York and didn’t forget about that important little detail called socializing. Oh yes… that. That was scary.

Terrifying, really.

Qualified introvert, remember? Socializing, yeah ugh the horror. No New Orleans, no Los Angeles and no New York. So Twilight stuck to her armchair adventure novels and her romance novels and her thoughts of her pony turned goddess turned kick-ass songwriter girlfriend.

Oh right, she was back to reading romance novels wasn’t she? ...well, with Sunset off on a world tour that really didn’t leave a lot of options open did it? No matter how much Rainbow talked about strip clubs and the like, as really Twilight wouldn’t be caught dead in such places. No matter how much Rainbow said it would ‘open up her eyes’. No thank you. So, to put it simply, Twilight was lonely. Now to work on solving that loneliness. She was a smart girl. It shouldn’t take too long.

Spoiler alert? This was gonna take a bit.

On the other side of the globe, Sunset practically collapsed into her bed that night. Morocco. Morocco! Freaking Morocco! Like… What the hay? When she posted that first video onto YouTube, she never imagined the end result would be her on another corner of the globe playing sold-out shows for hundreds. She just did it so she could get her music out there, not sign record deals and recording contracts and… And, well, basically becoming the next Miley Cyrus, expect only with only half the controversy. And so much cuter besides. Could you tell Sunset was stoking her own ego yet? Well, it could be worse she supposed, she could have wound up becoming the next Justin Bieber. Like, yikes!

Sunset would have probably thrown herself off a bridge if she even got compared to that hack! Why #BieberFever ever gripped the nations like it was the second coming of John Lennon and McCartney was a riddle for the ages. He couldn’t even sing! Hell, he wasn’t even cute. ...then again, Sunset was probably biased given boys, eww. Yep, she was so gay. Like gay as the day was long. The only thing gayer than her was El Goonish freakin’ Shiva!

But yeah, Morocco. Well, that was one more place to cross off her bucket list she supposed. Mind you, it wasn’t as fun as it could be. It wasn’t the potentially getting hounded by mad mobbing fans that annoyed her, no. No, it wasn’t the language she could barely speak or the foods that she couldn’t pronounce that annoyed the hell out of Sunset Shimmer. No, it was the fact that she was supposed to suffer through this alone. She was supposed to suffer the mad fans, the barely speakable language and the unusual foods without her best friend turned girlfriend.

It was like spending the summer at the world’s crappiest summer camp without your best friend, forced to suffer it all alone. All Sunset needed now was the crazy-ass monkey. And the wood rot, and the lake that was certainly toxic but nobody else could see it aside from her. ...Okay, so maybe it was nothing like that at all. Point being, Sunset was lonely, and no amount of time spent cuddling a pillow and pretending it was her girlfriend could change that.

...was she going crazy? Had she already gone crazy? Good grief, the song was true. It was a long way to the top after all!

Several nights later, she was convinced she was in Hell. A well-cultured Hell, but still Hell. A well-cultured Hell where everyone still wanted to rip her limbs off -even if for entirely different reasons- but still Hell. Sunset Shimmer was going to Hell in a bucket and thoroughly not enjoying the ride.

As it turns out, no matter how much you self-pleasure yourself, it doesn’t make up for an actual warm body next to you. One you could whisper sweet nothings to and hug and kiss and make breakfast for in the morning.

Onto the next town, another place. Another game to play, and another language to learn to say and fail utterly at. It was… yeah, it was trying. Mental note, as soon as this whole tour was over, she was going right back to Canterlot and treating her girlfriend to the night of her life. Several nights actually. Never again would Sunset make jokes about the rockstar life.

Kathmandu this time. A practical cornucopia of arts, culture, and sculpture. Well, there were worse places to get stuck in. But if she ever got out of here she was going to Canterlot. She was going to raise her whiskey glass and give them a toast. But soon she had to leave and she really couldn’t be late. ..well, for her next tour date anyways.

Wow, her thoughts were definitely starting to take a turn for the musician. That was at least… Well, what, three songs she could reference in three paragraphs? If she ever got out of here -oh that was song reference number four!- she was going to dance in the rain. Dance in the rain with her beautiful girlfriend, her own little slice of paradise.

How did Applejack manage it, her and Coloratura? Well, AJ had her farm to distract her, Sunset supposed. Her crops and her animals and her family. Long-distance relationships sucked, okay? But Sunset could manage. She had to be strong. As much as she loved her girlfriend, she wouldn’t give this up for anything in the world. Okay, maybe it was a little bit selfish but here Sunset was seeing the world and gaining popularity the right way. No blackmailing, no bullying, no Queen Bee antics. Just her own natural talent.

She made sure to send pictures and postcards and emails and all that. But all the while, there was that little nagging feeling in the back of her mind that it wasn’t complete. What was the use of walking the streets of some far off city in some foreign country if you didn’t have anyone to share it with? Postcards and pictures and emails only did so much. Personally, Sunset couldn’t blame her girl if Twilight decided to shack up with someone else. Okay, she knew Twilight wouldn’t even dare to think of it, but really Sunset wouldn’t blame her.

It… it had to be hard. She didn’t have farm work to distract her, just a bunch of romance novels that she tried to deny she had. Well, okay she had a dog. Two of them actually, if you counted Sunset’s own -this little vizsla named Ember- but that didn’t substitute for one’s actual girlfriend did it?

Finally, giving up the ghost Sunset lay back against a wall and said to the heavens: “Good God, I suck…”


“So how many months has it been now?” Applejack asked over breakfast that next morning. “Three?”

“Four,” Twilight corrected before she mumbled: “...don’t remind me.”

“Aww, don’t you worry none sugarcube,” Applejack said, patting her friend on the shoulder. “Sunset will be back before you know it, just you wait.”

“Just saying, strip clubs!” Rainbow commented peeking her head over, only to get slapped around the back of it.

“Don’t be vulgar, Dash!” Applejack reprimanded. “Pretty sure Twilight don’t want no gussied up lady with fake boobs in place of the real deal!”

“Yeah, but the real deal is currently off in… oh, Kathmandu was it? Least since the last I checked,” Rainbow remarked. “Girl’s gotta keep herself entertained while her girlfriend’s off in South Asia. All I’m sayin’ is don’t take it off the table!”

“I’ll pass, thank you,” Twilight deadpanned, and if looks could kill, well Rainbow would be six feet under. Okay, I should explain. You see, every week the remaining Rainbooms met up for breakfast at a local cafe. If they could spare the time, they came, just to talk about each other’s lives and what was going on in the world. To vent, to reassure, to reconnect.

Now Applejack wasn’t a stupid girl. Despite all the stereotypes about country bumpkins like her, she was no stupid hick. No stupid hick got Valedictorian last she checked. No stupid hick could outperform even the certified genius, the potential MENSA candidate. She could tell her friend was miserable, even if Twilight had learned to hide it well enough. Applejack could understand. She’d been in this position before, with Coloratura. Work as a distraction could only take you so far. When you were in love, it drove you crazy and you lived and breathed the next touch from your lover. Sappy as it was -and trust me Applejack did not do sappy!- it was the cold honest truth.

“I swear, both of y’all are geniuses and sometimes it seems like there’s not a single brain cell between y’all,” Applejack muttered and Twilight looked at her oddly. “Look, I’ve been in this position before. You’re missing a really obvious solution, you know that right Twi? You’re probably running a whole mess of really complicated solutions to your problem in your head and yet you miss the really obvious one staring you smack in the face!”

“Which is?” Twilight asked not really sure if she should be insulted or not.

“Facetiming!” Applejack proclaimed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Which, to be fair in retrospect it probably was. “Like, really, this is the solution to your problems Twi. Not anything Rainbow Dash has to offer. I swear, that girl needs a filter on her mouth or something. She knows not what she speaks at times…”

From the next table over, Rainbow unseen flipped her off.

Twilight almost immediately, felt rather embarrassed with herself. Seriously, how did she not think of this? With a groan, her head met the table as she muttered: “...I’m an idiot.”

In her head, and Applejack was exactly right about this, she had been thinking up complicated solutions to her problem. Teleporters had been high on her list, along with holographic projections controlled by satellite. ...okay, so sue her. She was a scientist by nature, and when a problem presented itself her solution was to science the hell out of it. That was her nature, because of course it was. What else did you expect from a woman whose first instinct when presented with magic was to build a device to scan and tag it?

She turned her gaze to the TV, where sure enough Sunset was on the screen. It was a broadcast of last night’s concert in Kathmandu, where -and Twilight knew this because she could read lips- Sunset was running through a snarling cover of a Marilyn Manson song. The Mephistopheles Of Los Angeles, if she was reading right. She looked happy as ever to give the crowd a show, and Twilight was about to change the channel. Then she saw Sunset’s eyes, and she almost at once recognized the feeling in them. Abject misery.

Okay, yeah, this ended now.

Twilight swore she heard Applejack say: “That’s my girl…” but paid it no mine. Sunset needed her.

On her tour bus, Sunset was pulling into her hotel for the night. Nice little place, had that ‘just right’ amount of luxury to keep her satisfied. Okay, so she had expensive tastes, so sue her. Sunset was a natural Canterlot horse, meaning she liked to be surrounded by the finer things in life from time to time.

What she did almost certainly not expect was the former ‘Countess’ Coloratura to be in the same hotel as her. That was… a surprise to say the least. An unexpected, if not an unwelcomed one.

“Saw your show last night,” Coloratura said. “Stuck around, just to see how you’d do. You blew the roof off that joint, but all the same…”

“If you’ve got a point, then get straight to it,” Sunset said. “There’s a hotel room with a hot bath with my name on it.”

“You’re miserable, aren’t you?” Coloratura said and when Sunset gave her a ‘look’ she continued. “Oh, don’t think of lying to me or bullshitting me. I’ve been around Applejack enough to be able to pick up on that kind of thing. You miss her, don’t you?”

Yep, straight to the point and no time for nonsense. Classic Coloratura. Sunset knew there was a reason she liked touring with her.

“I email Twilight every day, I send postcards…” Sunset said the words falling flat even as she said them.

“Oh for pity’s sake. I’ve been in this exact same position as you, with Applejack. Facetiming, all I’m going to say,” Coloratura said leaving Sunset feeling rather foolish. Facetiming, of course! She was such an idiot. “Now if you excuse me, there’s a hotel room with a hot bath with my name on it!”


“S-Sunset?” Twilight said, tapping the screen and hoping she’d taken into account time zone differences just enough for this to work. “A-Are you there? ‘Cause if you’re not, I can come back and call you in the morning… or whatever passes for morning over there. God, I hate you having to be 5 hours ahead of everyone else.”

“Relax Twi,” Sunset said, walking in clad in a bathrobe, looking as if she’d just got out of the shower, her flaming-red hair wrapped up in a towel. “I’m here. Facetime? So, took you long enough to figure this out!”

Twilight flushed under Sunset’s teasing. Playing with a strand of her hair, Twilight stammered out: “Oh, yes well you know me and all. I was actually considering outright teleportation at first!”

“Oh, well whatever would you tell your parents?” Sunset said and Twilight was at once reminded that no matter how good she was at flirting Sunset was simply better. “I mean, you running off to the other side of the globe just to meet up with some strange girl? It would be the talk of the town!

“Yes, well, I do like the bad girls, and I’m always up for an adventure!” Twilight teased back. “Ooooh, think you can take me around the globe in 80 days?”

“Not sure, though I can probably attempt to send you postcards from around the world in 80 days,” Sunset returned. “Probably less!”

“You’re self-confident,” Twilight returned easing into things, their own unique way of flirting.

“Well, I am the Princess of Rock and Roll!” Sunset replied.

“I thought they called you the Devil in High Heels?” Twilight replied. “I mean, surely you singing The Mephistopheles Of Los Angeles isn’t just for a fun little tribute to Manson!”

“Yes, well, Princess, Devil, Goddess. I alternate,” Sunset said with a small little shrug. “Girl’s got to have her hobbies!”

“Oh, so you’re calling yourself the Goddess of Rock and Roll now?” Twilight teased. “A bit grandiose, a bit blasphemous isn’t it? My my, how the parents will talk!”

“They already talk,” Sunset drawled in the deadest tone possible. “I just make them talk more!”

“And oh, how they would talk if they knew you were seeing a poor innocent girl from some small town…” Twilight said, twirling her hair. “They’d say you were corrupting me!”

“Oh, please, if they only knew!” Sunset laughed. “You and I both know you’re far from innocent! After all, I did catch you readin-”

“I thought we agreed to never speak of that,” Twilight said, flushing an interesting shade of red. “Like, ever again.”

“Oh Twi, you and I both know I’ll never let you live that down,” Sunset said. “It’s part of my bitch persona, I remember everything…”

“Wow, you really are the devil in high heels,” Twilight said in a flat tone of voice. Sunset snorted.

“And don’t I know it dear,” Sunset replied. She’d missed this, she’d missed this. This little game of theirs, trying to outplay the other at every turn. This little game of flirt with me, I flirt even harder with you. “But really, I’ve… missed you, Twi.”

“And here I thought this was a courtesy call,” Twilight said before asking: “Okay, so who was it for you that reminded you that this exists? Coloratura?”

“Coloratura,” Sunset confirmed. “Applejack for you?”

“Yep, Applejack. I swear they double-teamed us,” Twilight remarked. “And knowing how much they keep in contact, I’d bet that’s exactly the case.”

“I know a sucker’s bet when I see one, so I’m not even considering taking that one,” Sunset said. “But yeah, they really do make a lovely couple. They play off each other quite well. It’s almost disgusting really!”

“Almost as disgusting as us?” Twilight asked, raising an eyebrow. She burst out laughing. “...ph dear God we’re idiots aren’t we?”

“You can’t be wise and in love at the same time,” Sunset said. “Bob Dylan, not sure of the year.”

“That’s why they call it love, I guess…” Twilight admitted before asking: “Promise me you’ll keep in contact?”

“And avoid you?” Sunset asked before joking: “I’m a bitch, but even I’m not that much of a bitch!”

Twilight spent the rest of the night laughing. For a time, all was well.


Eventually, sleep beckoned and it was another day in the life of Sunset Shimmer, Princess of Rock and Roll. Another town, another place beckoned on her jaunt through Southeast Asia. Next stop: Delhi, India.

Sunset was greeted with a mess of noise upon her arrival in the city, like her senses were under constant assault. Not even Manehatten back home was this bad. But she had one small comfort. Twilight, and Sunset knew she could call her girlfriend at any time she wanted. This was her last stop before home, and well Sunset couldn’t wait till she was back in Canterlot City again.

Her back ached, her ears bled and she smelled something funny even after a shower or two. A lesser woman would probably have cried for mercy long enough, but Sunset was not a lesser woman. She was Sunset Shimmer, and she had fans whom she couldn’t disappoint. But Sunset, more importantly, felt confident enough to face this one last jaunt before home.

Horns honked, trains rumbled and thunder snarled as storm clouds gathered overhead. Sunset stank of sweat and her clothes stuck to her body. Her bandmates were giving her quite the wide berth. God knows even after a good long shower that tonight’s concert was going to be a pain.

But there was one thing keeping Sunset from just finding the nearest intersection and throwing herself in the middle of it. Well, aside from her obvious mental health. Twilight. Twilight. Twilight. She kept her face in her mind, her girlfriend’s face. Her lover’s face. Her beloved’s face.

Just a few more days and she’d be home, just a few more days and a couple of connecting flights. Just a few more days, a connecting flight or two and one last concert. Sunset intended to end her tour with a bang, it was only fair after all.

Snapping a picture of the world-famous Lotus Temple in the background, Sunset opened up Facetime once she was safe in the back of her bus.

“Delhi?” Twilight answered almost at once, taking in all the noise around her. “Please please tell me you got a picture of the Lotus Temple!”

Sunset’s fingers were a blur, and Twilight squealed as soon as she saw it.

“You know, one of these days, you’re going to have to come out here and see this for yourself,” Sunset said. “Armchair adventurer or no, there’s really only one way to see the world.”

“Oh, and I suppose you would know…” Twilight teased.

“Why yes, I would!” Sunset returned.

“Okay then. Facts, figures, assorted trivia and weird obscurities,” Twilight replied. “Ready go!”

“Wait, I wasn’t ready!” Sunset called.

“1987, the Interfaith Forum on Religion, Art and Architecture, Affiliate of the American Institute of Architects, Washington, D.C., gave their First Honour award for ‘Excellence in Religious Art and Architecture’ 1987 to Mr. F. Sahba for the design of the Baháʼí House of Worship near New Delhi. And in 1988…” Twilight started.

This was another of their little games that they played. Before it was with emails, now it was with Facetime. The goal was to rattle off, obviously, as many facts and weird little notes about the location in question in ten minutes. Twilight usually won, obviously.

“...you’re both disgusting,” Aria Blaze said from nearby, tuning up her bass. Sonata gave her a look, it was sweet if you asked her. Okay, little explanation on that as well, Sunset had made an offer, commenting on how they surely couldn’t have been happy being in Adagio’s shadow. You know, her being the only one who kept her voice and all. They just sang back up in auto-tune, the worst of evils. They weren’t allowed to show any talent whatsoever. Needless to say, when given a better offer, they left Adagio in a heartbeat. While neither could sing, Aria made a mean -emphasis on the mean part sometimes- bass player, and Sonata a good keyboardist.

Sunset made sure they had top billing on her albums.

“You try getting a girlfriend, or boyfriend or… whatever,” Sunset said to Aria. “Bet you money if you got one, you’d be just as ‘disgusting’.”

“Ooooooh, she’s got you there Ri-Ri!” Sonata laughed.

“For your information, I actually do have a girlfriend. Tree Hugger, you remember Fluttershy’s friend?” Aria remarked.

“Isn’t she the one who’s always baked off her butt?” Sonata wondered aloud.

“Well, guess that solves that little mystery. I always wondered why Aria’s room always smelled like weed. Of course, this explains soooooooo much,” Sunset thought to herself. “I’m amazed we haven’t been arrested for possession yet if this is the case! ...even if it would further our rock and roll image. No such thing as bad publicity, right?”

Eventually, the bus pulled up to the venue and Aria shared a look with Sunset as they grabbed their guitars.

“Prepare for the mob…” Aria muttered as she opened the door, Sunset being greeted with a mob of screaming fans. As security guards ushered them past the chaos, Sunset steeled herself. Once more unto the breach, one more night. Just one more night.

A thought occurred to her. Well, there was something the press didn’t know about her, right? Time to give them the surprise of their lives. After all, didn’t they say every devil needed their angel?

“What you thinking, Sunny?” Sonata asked. “You’ve got that gears turning, big brained idea. That’s usually the one you get before you really knock people’s socks off with some awesome new track.”

“Oh, this and that,” Sunset said as she placed her phone near the stage, and set it to streaming mode. The final checks seemed to go by in a blur, and Twilight was waiting anxiously in her room. What was her girlfriend thinking exactly? She’d been awfully mum on the subject. Twilight hated surprises.

Sonata passed by, and Sunset whispered something in her ear. Sonata’s eyes widened and she let out a gasp as she then turned to Twilight. Winking at her, Sonata practically skipped away giggling like a fool.

Okay, now Twilight was really confused. This was just getting weirder by the moment. Just what exactly was the big secret?

“Okay, Sunset, what are you doing?” Twilight thought to herself, her mind a blur as it tried to figure out what her girlfriend was planning. Oh god, was it an onstage break up? She smacked herself, there went her thoughts spiraling again. Sunset wasn’t that person anymore, and more to the point nobody even knew they were dating. Nobody important anyways. Nobody with a camera.

Then it finally began to click, and Twilight’s eyes widened. Her eyes felt strangely misty. Oh. Oh… Oh. Oh, okay. Yeah, this was… yeah, she needed time to process this. God! This was… oh, nobody had ever done anything quite like this for her. It was… yeah, Twilight knew she was going to cry. She never took Sunset for this much of a romantic!

Then the crowds roared and they thundered as Sunset walked onto the stage in a flare of pyrotechnics and the thud thud thud of drums. Sunset tapped the microphone, and spoke. “Okay, okay yeah so nice to see you all. Namaste and all that. You know who I am, I know who you all are, but you don’t know something about me. I’m dating a wonderful girlfriend, and… well, this first song is just for her. This one’s for you Twilight Sparkle.

And the crowd went wild and Twilight fought back a sob as Sunset launched into her first song.

“Owner of a lonely heart, owner of a lonely heart…”

In the days to come, the internet would be abuzz with speculation and people trying to figure out who exactly this Twilight Sparkle was. Eventually, as Twilight knew they would, they’d find her. But she didn’t care. Neither did Sunset. Even when they were far apart, continents away, they’d have each other. And really, wasn’t that what love was?

END

Author's Note:

Don't we all wish we had girlfriends like these two to help us through these troubled times? Okay, not sure this is my best work at moments, some of the jokes may not land and to be honest, it does require you to suspend your disbelief a bit. I mean, both of these two are smart girls and yet the most obvious solution in the world has to be spelled out for them.

To say this had a troubled production would be to put it mildly. I mean, there were times when I just didn't have that get up and go I needed to write this. Not to mention distractions aplenty abounded. Looking at you MCU on Disney Plus!

But if you liked this, please do let me know. Comments and feedback -especially feedback- make my day.

Comments ( 12 )

At first I thought she was going to propose to Twilight through the phone but then I thought about how horrible that would be. Although that would be a good idea for a sequel, Sunset finally gets Twilight to join her on a tour and on the final stop of the tour she proposes on stage. That seems like something Sunset would do. :twilightblush:

Gaia I adore those two. Like, seriously, they just work so well together. Its almost criminal.

This was a sweet story.

10183706
Ah ah, but proposing would be too obvious wouldn't it? It's been done, really. Now outing your relationship, not sure I've seen that done in stories.

10184122
Well then, lock me up! I'm a dangerous man. What I find funny is I was supposed to do a very sappy and mostly sweet story. And yet somehow I got angst into this piece. ...wonder what that says about me.

10184456
I aim to please.

This was interesting to read, and it's sweet to see how in love the two of them are. Admittedly, I do think you could have cut down on the buildup some, or brought in AJ and Coloratura giving them the answer earlier on, I was expecting the Facetime conversation to come about a lot sooner than it actually did... and Aria and Sonata's part in this kinda came out of left-field nowhere for me.

Still, this had some fun cute stuff in it. Really liked the moment with Sunset sending the photo from Delhi and Sci-Twi promptly sending back all these factoids. Because she TOTALLY would. :rainbowlaugh:

10188635
I... yeah, I do admit some of the build-up could have been cut. Maybe it's a word count thing... But I also wanted to show just how connected the two are, even if that means angst. I think Aria and Sonata were used largely so I didn't have to make OCs, and so I could use characters I'm comfortable writing with.

10189679
That's fair. And I'm not saying that what you wrote is bad or anything, I just think it could have done with a tune-up. And I understand the decision prompting Aria and Sonata's inclusion - but it could have used some better setup beforehand, I did a double-take when Aria first spoke up in that scene, like "Where did SHE come from?" Though that being said, I did chuckle at the thought of Aria dating Tree Hugger.

10189848
Yeah, I will admit this was not my best fic at certain moments. ...which may explain the lack of views but I digress. I wasn't kidding when I said this had a troubled production. I'm amazed this still got published at all.

That was really cute. Great job!

sorry it took me so long to read this but great story i really enjoyed it

thoe shame on you for not having sunset visit japan she would be super popular their (and you could have had made a joke out of her meeting her JPNS VA)

also i cant see aria and sonata leaving adagio they are just as evil as she is

Loved it, honestly I love what this story did with the ship. Great job, hope to see more sci-set from you soon.

It's a nice, fluffy story, buuut it also does raise a question for me, and a point of concern. First off - this development, Sunset going on a world tour, obviously didn't happen out of the blue. Like... you don't literally get famous over night and start something like that. Not even in the music industry. (Maybe as a serial killer or something, but I wouldn't call that-... nevermind, getting off-track.) What I'm getting at is this: There had to be a lot of planning involved. She has a contract now, there's people that would tell her where to be, when to be there and some-such. And if the Rainbooms have weekly get-together's... why didn't this come up earlier? The story established that AJ already got through this phase. She already faced these problems and had to struggle to deal with them. While I can suspend disbelief enough to accept that sometimes, even the smartest of people can overlook the simplest of solutions - something that, according to my own experience with very smart people, happens surprisingly often -; it's baffling how AJ didn't just say right in the beginning 'alright, so listen, here's a couple of things you might wanna look out for and a couple of solutions you might wanna try' - just to spare her the misery. To acknowledge this problem is rather easy - there could've been a sentence telling the reader that this was the first time in a couple of weeks that AJ actually could make it to these get-together's. Farm work kept her busy and all that.
The concern I have is about communication. This story sets up quite the explosive change, but I don't think that was intentional. Sunset had this great idea, this idea of a grand romantic gesture, of telling the world about her love. That's sweet, really... on a surface-level. But that's something I would expect more from someone like Rainbow, who has a tendency not to think things through. Because as those last lines imply - they will find her. With Sunset being the latest star worldwide, everyone - and I mean everyone and their cat - will want a piece of that. Blogs, shows (TV, radio, podcasts), the different papers, everyone will look for content. New articles, new stuff to talk about. They will dissect their lives without mercy. And once the surface information dries up? If Sunset is still such a hot commodity by that point? They will dig deeper. Interviewing their friends and family and eventually random strangers that barely have any connection to them. Pressing their noses into personal matters. And once even that well inevitably runs dry, they will start to fabricate news - given there's still enough public interest. Can't find enough drama in this relationship between the small town nerd and the world-famous rockstar? No biggie - make some! Sadly, that's just how the world works.
Now, Sunset is smart. While smart people can often overlook simple solutions, they do tend to be more aware of the consequences of their actions. Her 'live confession' was a big romantic gesture, sure - but it could easily spiral out of control. Very, very hard. And backfire.
I just... think she would've known.

All of that being said - and I'm sorry, this looks like it's gonna be one heck of a wall of text - I do stand by my initial words. The story was well-written, the characterization was good, the storyline well-crafted, I had fun reading it. I'm just... yeah, I tend to read into things a lot and thought I might share some of that. I hope it doesn't bother anyone too much.

Thank you.

Login or register to comment