• Published 2nd Feb 2020
  • 2,164 Views, 551 Comments

Thicker Than Water - Krickis



Life for a band on tour always brings fresh challenges. Fluttershy is ready to meet them, having grown confident as a band manager in the past two years. It’s just about the only thing she’s good at, after all.

  • ...
8
 551
 2,164

Epilogue


There was a flaw in the way the sirens tracked the Equestrian magic source – they could only detect it when it flared up. Whoever was using the magic, they weren’t using it constantly.

That made the search a very long one. Every time they caught up to wherever the magic was the last time it was used, it had moved to somewhere else. Years had passed since they started their search, and all three sirens were considering giving up on it.

“Oh, hey!” Sonata said as she noticed a poster. “There’s a Bitchette concert tonight!”

“Ugh, who cares.” Aria tore down the poster and threw it over her shoulder. “Travelling with them was so annoying.”

“It wasn’t that bad,” Sonata said with a frown. It had been a very long time since the three of them had toured with Bitchette, but Sonata had fond memories of that time.

“Aria’s right,” Adagio said. “We need to focus. The magic source was around here just earlier today. We need to keep our eyes open for it.”

Sonata pouted, but she didn’t say anything. There was no sense in arguing when both Adagio and Aria agreed on something.

They were in a seedy part of town, which was where the magic had flared up most recently. It had been hours, though, and there was no way to tell if whoever used it was still around. True, they kept getting slightly closer, but they hadn’t had a real lead in ages.

“Adagio, I’m tired of this,” Aria said. “I just want to go back to our bar.”

“We don’t even know if our bar is still there,” Adagio pointed out. “We haven’t been back in years, Aria. We’ve given too much for this search to give up now.”

“Yeah, but –”

Enough, Aria.” Adagio turned to face her testily. “We’re close this time, I’m sure of it. And then everything will be worth it.”

“Hey, isn’t that…” Sonata said squinted at a woman walking by. She had her hood up on her jacket, but something about her looked familiar.

“Not now, Sonata!” Aria shot at her.

“But –”

“Enough squabbling!” Adagio shot at the two of them. “Come on, I want to check that way.”

Adagio and Aria started walking off, but Sonata stayed in place. The woman she was looking at walked past her without sparing her a glance.

“Sonata!” Adagio called.

“Wait!” Sonata said to the woman, who did not. Sonata ran after her and grabbed onto her hood, pulling it off.

“Hey, what gives!?” The woman said as she turned around. Her red and yellow hair fell past her shoulder, and she had amber-colored skin and cyan eyes.

“Well well well,” Adagio ignored Sonata’s role in unearthing her identity in favor of walking up to the woman. “This is a surprise.”

“Who the hell do you think you are? I’m warning you, I’m not the bitch you want to fuck with.”

“Do you think she has something to do with the magic?” Aria asked, walking up to the woman’s other side.

“Magic?” The other woman blinked a few times. “What do you know about magic?”

“Uhm, I don’t think this is the same person…” Sonata said. “She doesn’t know who we are.”

“No, she doesn’t,” Adagio said with a grin. “You’re not the same. But you are Sunset Shimmer, aren’t you?”

“How do you know my name?” Sunset asked. “And what was that about magic?”

Adagio laughed. “I think you might be just who we’ve been looking for.”

Author's Note:

Sonata’s cutie mark in the header was made by Sugar-Loop.

Who We Become is a story that takes place across two worlds. The human story and the pony story happen concurrently and affect each other, but they can also be read as standalone stories.

In Her Shadow is an optional short story taking place from Lightning Dust's perspective as she reflects on what it's like to open for a band she helped form. Read this if you want the full story.

In Pieces is the next main entry in the series, taking place in Equestria several months after Thicker Than Water. It’s the next recommended story for those interested in the full series.

The Open Road is the next EqG story. It takes place approximately a year after Thicker Than Water and features Sunset, pony Twilight, and pony Fluttershy going on a road trip in the human world.

Comments ( 47 )

Ah hell.

And you're gonna cliffhanger us on this one for a while, aren't you.

oh bravo.........bravo. you are evil tho lol

Oh dear, no matter the universe they're born in, Sunsets are just trouble magnets, aren't they?

10354813
Hehe maybe so :raritywink:

10354840
It's true, I am :scootangel:

10354845
lol when a bun is writing? Most definitely :ajsmug:

10355187
Hehehe thank you, glad you've enjoyed my story :raritywink:

Annnd the plot thickens nice little cliffhanger there can't wait to see where THIS goes and HOW it ends, my suspicions were right on who is using the magic it's human sunset now we'll see what the dazzling will do with that information👍👍😁😁😦😦

10355192
Yup! It took a while for her to come back, but human Sunset is going to make big waves in this story someday. Not immediately, however; I have some other stories to get to before the sirens and Sunset's, but it's coming :yay:

JMP

...So this is the payoff from Looking Glass. Another Sunset Shimmer with magic. This...is going to be interesting.

10355264
And she's with the sirens at that :pinkiegasp: I'm really looking forward to bringing y'all that story, but it'll be a little while before that comes, unfortunately. It's the first story of Phase Two of WWB and I've got just a few more Phase One stories to tell before I can get there.

JMP

10355282
Phase 2? Huh. Well then. I look forward to what comes next

Great end to the story yesterday and what a cliffhanger! I never write comments, but I had to thank you for this great story. I just love your Who We Become series and can’t wait to see where it goes next.

10355317
Yeah, WWB has always been planned to be three phases long (with, if I'm incredibly lucky and have my number one fanfic dream come true, a fourth phase that's written by fans of the series rather than by me, in the vein of FOE and other big shared universes). Phase One has gone on way longer than I planned, but is finally coming to an end. Phase Two will mark a radical shift in the series (more adventure stories rather than slice of life) and so far this has been all about setting up who's dating whom and where they all are in their world/their lives. It's a hell of a plan is what I'm saying :pinkiecrazy:

10355346
Thank you so much, I'm delighted to have won you over into the comments :raritywink: I've got big plans for this series, though first we've got a bit of fun with the next fic. Same time same place next week, I've got chapters prepared all the way into October as of this reply :yay:

JMP

10355423
Is the magic the Sirens were chasing going to be relevant or was it just a plot device to have them meet the human Sunset?

10355478
It's relevant. I thought it was clear that the magic they've been chasing is Sunset. She's using Equestrian magic now, which will all be explained in more detail in a later story.

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I have used my pretty high IQ to figure it all out!

So Sunset Shimmer of the human world and Twilight Sparkle of the human world both have demonic stuff going on in their heads from Equestria magic, one lot is positively charged the other is negatively charged. Well that magic wants to come together to reproduce, but the Sirens don't want that because they are secretly changelings (I mean they are capable of changing peoples minds so what else would they be?). Meanwhile in Equestria the Queen of the changelings Chrysalis also doesn't want the magic to reproduce, because it would form a new better breed of changelings that would push her own hive to extinction.

So that is why Chrysalis wants to take over Equestria so bad. Because they have access to the portal to the human world where the new changelings will come from. Also this is why the sirens got 'banished' to the human world on purpose in the first place, because Chrysalis foresaw all of this and sent them there.

Now I know some of you will be rolling your eyes at this, saying to yourself "But SevenEyes that is that is so obvious, why even bother typing this?" Well I assure you that there are some that have yet to connect the dots like I have. And the truth must be known!!

10355835
Dang, I can't believe you figured it all out already... Bravo! Of course now that you know what was going to happen I'll have to come up with something else to do instead :derpytongue2:

I've been thinking over the ending since Sunday, as initially I was more than a little disappointed by it. After giving it some thought, though, I've realized it's as good as an ending as we could've gotten. As some people have said, Fluttershy's issues run very deep, and aren't going to be solved quickly or even completely. She'll carry some burden related to her time with Sunset for the rest of her life, even if eventually she does find some happiness. The loss of Sky, too, will forever weigh on her mind. All that said, I still wish things had been aired out a bit more. A chapter showing that talk about Sunset and Sky that Shy wanted to have with Rainbow would've been perfect for finally putting to rest what happened between Sunset and Shy; the fights, the stress, the glass throwing, the blame and resentment, everything. That discussion, even if it's never shown to us, will absolutely do Shy a whole world of good.

Overall, though, it's still a good story. I just can't help but feel it was more of a stepping-stone to the next entry; a kind of bridge that's necessary to keep the overarching narratives together, but leaves some things unresolved, to be concluded another time.

Admittedly, however, the writing is so good that I want to keep following the series, I want to see how the various storylines continue to unfold, I want to know how it'll all end. And making the reader want to keep reading sequel after sequel, saga after saga, instead of making them feel like they're forced to, and making them feel like they're just being strung along, is tremendously difficult to pull off. It requires a lot of skill, and that skill is, time and time again, something you keep proving to have.

So, what'll be added to my favorites the day it gets posted? Your next story, of course. Bring on more horsepeople drama! :rainbowlaugh:

10357657
I'm in partial agreement with you. I don't think it would be particularly interesting to see the conversation between Fluttershy and Rainbow, I don't really think it would make for a better ending. I do think this feels a little more open-ended than I wanted, though. For that reason, I've been tossing around the idea of a oneshot sequel that followed up on Shy going to therapy and what the aftermath of all this is. What's her friendship with Lemon Zest like after everything? Does Rainbow finally cool off a bit about Sunset? Some unanswered questions that could be followed up on. I'm thinking of calling it Coda, as it's the end of this story. It could be a sort of second epilogue, in a way, but I'll almost certainly publish it as a oneshot. Although that's gonna wait a little while; I haven't even planned it, let alone written it. For now, this is the end of this story, although of course there will be more stories about Shy, Rainbow, and Bitchette in the future.

Holy shit holy shit holy shit you can’t just leave it thereeeeeeee

10472927
I'll be honest that Lemon Zest is the only character currently planned as aro, but that might change as I have many characters I have not decided on orientations yet. There will be another ace character who is not aro, for sure. I would be interested in having an aro character who isn't ace because most of the time it's portrayed as aro is a subset of ace, which isn't the case, but I currently have no plans for that, just some interest.

10472953
I like to think that as soon as people see the chapter title Sky Shimmer, they just kinda go WELL FUCK HERE'S SOME FEELS

10472961
lmao watch me binch :trollestia:

10472987
All these things are varying types of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

10500938
Cool I consider myself as a music expert too:twilightsmile:

Thanks for the fic!

10601077
I’ll read more

Wow, I'm a quarter done and shy is so different it's hard to connect with her.
Not in an ooc thing, but you're doing a good job having her cope with starting to live, but it's just crazy how real it feels.
Is this the last in the series so far, or is there another sequel?

10606835
Yeah, losing the ability to connect with Shy makes sense. She really is a different person, and without the context of how she got this way I think it would feel ooc for her. For me, Fluttershy is actually the most relatable person in this series. I don't share her specific past, but I've had similar struggles with mental health, which is why I can see things from her POV a little better than certain readers can, and likely why she feels so realistic in her developments. That sorta realness is something I strive for in this series. Whether someone relates to the characters or not, I want all of them to just feel like real people, and real people are messy things.

This is currently the last story in the human storyline, but there are more stories in Equestria. Essentially this series is two concurrent storylines, one taking place in Equestria, and one taking place in the human world. They crossover in notable ways, most clearly with Sunset leaving Everton to move back to Equestria at the end of Playing House. Here's the full chronological order of the series, which is still ongoing and will have more stories on bth sides of the mirror. The whole series is quite long and growing longer by the week (I've updated weekly for almost two years now, and am currently updating twice a week for the next few weeks), so there's plenty to dig into :raritywink:

10640647
ooh, he'll be reading it in half the time then haha

10640664
Haha awesome! If he reads, I hope he likes it :yay:

10640672
as a matter of fact, he's reading the second chapter of looking glass as i type this
EDIT: he said he'll read it, just for you

10640717
Ooh nice! Always great to have new readers :pinkiehappy:

10708819
I mean, sure, but if the new type of music isn't what you want to play then you'll be miserable playing it every night.

10708821
That's certainly a factor yes, which is a whole other issue. I was just saying in my comment that I don't think she was wrong in how she went about having casual sex, and I don't think casual sex itself is a problem. Using sex as an unhealthy coping mechanism is obviously not good.

Oooh. Future villain reveal! :raritywink:

It took me a while longer to finish this one than I expected, a lot of life stuff just happened all at once, but wow, even after the fics leading into this, there was so much that completely shocked me! I can't wait to dive back into Equestria for the next story!

11238563
Really glad I can still hit hard after so many words haha, this is one of my top favorites of WWB, with the other being Acts of Love, so I hope you'll enjoy that one when you get to it!

Loved this so much! I didn't know whether or not it'd hook me like everything else so far has but this one grabbed me tighter than any of the others. The pacing in this is probably the best out of all the entries I've read so far. It's hard to say for sure since I've still got to take some time to truly digest everything I've read so far (plus, imma be real I'll probably do a reread in a more proper order soon) but this one is in the running for my favorite so far.

This story does a lot to make me even more sympathetic to Fluttershy than I already was. At the end of PH, it was hard not to feel a little bitter considering how everything worked out, but as mentioned before it's far too complex of a situation to reasonably hold a side. After all this, it feels even less fair. It's like after they both split, they were in a race to the bottom, and Sunset was just lucky enough to have people there to support her before she finished. Shy just kept falling until she hit the very bottom. Those ending bits got me real close to shedding tears (especially when Dash finds Shy in the bathroom), and I'm honestly impressed I was able to hold it together. You are consistently good at yanking my heart strings and I am fearful of that.

I am still clinging onto the hope that there's some kind of reconciliation between Shy and Sunset. I don't want them to end up together again, or even be friends again for that matter, I just want them to talk and get a proper sense of closure. I know closure doesn't always solve everything, and in some cases it can end in making things worse, but they've both been through Enough. I just want to see them heal and grow and properly move on from one another. You can't keep getting away with doing this to my girls!! :fluttercry:

Also it's really nice to see Rainbow actually grow up through this story. Up until now, I've found her (the good kind of) unlikable for what I'm sure are obvious reasons, and early on I was almost wondering if she was going to sabotage her whole band because of how much of a huffy little child she can be. But she really grows throughout the course of this and I'm glad for that.

I want to say this but I'll preface this part by saying that it's not an actual problem, but both Bitchette and The Washouts actually have immensely successful careers (relative to what I know of the industry irl) if they're both being given a tour bus and roadies by the record company. There's never been any money in music and there's less now than there's ever been. Some of my favorite bands that have put out some incredibly polished work still have to travel by van and trailer, paying most of the expenses out of pocket, and doing most of their own roadie work alongside people who barely get paid. The reason I say it's not a problem is because I much prefer the idea that that kind of success can come so quickly and easily. That's how it should be. I think highlighting how dismal the music industry truly is would only serve as a detriment. This entire paragraph is mostly just tangential conjecture tho lol.

Also I snapped and shouted "damn it!" when I got to the epilogue. I was thinking of an interesting spin-off idea off this story involving Sunset's unmet doppelgänger, but it won't work now that I know she's being incorporated into the story now. That said, I may just write it on my own time and keep it to myself.

Once again, incredible job with this, and thank you for sharing your work :heart:

11371553
Wow, you read this one quick! I will say this:

This story does a lot to make me even more sympathetic to Fluttershy than I already was.

Made me real happy :yay: She's my favorite character in this series (human Shy specifically) and there's a lot of negativity towards her in the comments on this and other stories. It made me bitter towards writing this series for a bit (which I'm over now), and leaves me a little uncertain whenever people get to this story. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, and that you like Shy.

And Rainbow as well. I know she could be pretty damn antagonistic for a long time, but she's growing. All I can say in her defense is that she was very young in Playing House, as they all were, and she's learning now as she ages a bit.

As for Shy and Sunset, my lips are sealed on the details but I'll say this much (spoilered in case you want to go in blind): They do indeed meet again.

Some of what you pointed out about them being a successful band I knew, some I might have done differently if I understood the music industry. In the end, I had to make the call to prioritize what works for the story I wanted to tell, which didn't involve a critique on the music industry that I am very unqualified to make. I know you weren't complaining, but felt it worth saying anyway :twilightblush:

If you ever write your human Sunset idea, I would like to read it! If you ever feel like writing in this universe, know that you're free to do so (as is anyone) but currently only stories thedarkprep or I write are considered canon, everything else is expanded universe or AU. If you wanna talk ideas for a fic that could be expanded universe (which are stories that do not contradict the canon stories but won't be heavily referenced in them either) I'd happily be involved to the degree that you want me to (though my involvement is not necessary).

Anyway, thank you for the comments! Glad you enjoyed the story, it's my personal favorite :scootangel:

“Ugh, who cares.” Aria tore down the poster and threw it over her shoulder. “Travelling with them was so annoying.”

Rude! :flutterrage:

“Hey, what gives!?” The woman said as she turned around. Her red and yellow hair fell past her shoulder, and she had amber-colored skin and cyan eyes.

Talk about quite the cliffhanger! :pinkiegasp:

The return to drama-filled human world has not disappointed. Great story, Krickis.

And oh man, I am super interested in what's coming up next after that epilogue.:pinkiehappy:

Okay I spoke too soon xD at least now I am satisfied with knowing sonata exists, and I knew my overthinking wasn't a waste, minus the fire phoenix stuff I definitely had a feeling human sunset would make an appearance :D

11670877
As soon as you mentioned the possibility that it was Sunset in the epilogue, I was just like whelp can't reply to this or I'll give it away!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Oh thank fuck, I was about to be really mad at you for dropping the thread on the rogue magic. I was very invested in that part! But then you went and gave it an even better payoff. :D Though I don't suppose this is also going anywhere, huh? :P

11681718
I'll get to the rogue magic thing, it's actually not far off in what I want to write for this series. It's not next, but it's coming up soonish!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

11681978
oh that's exciting :O see you in ten years lol

Login or register to comment