• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Fight or flight!

Author's Note:

Here it is folks the next chapter. As always please feel free to comment. Likes dislikes, changes you want to see and even just to say hi or tell me my writing sucks 😄

Fight or Flight

Astral Plane

"I really don't know what has come over me," sniffed Aubree, wiping away her tears.

Flurry Heart, using her right index finger caught a crystal droplet from Aubree's soaked cheek. "It happens to the best of us." Aubree answered with a silent head nod and a few sniffles.

"What are we doing here, Aubree?"

The young woman paused to collect herself before answering. "You were cursed with a sleeping spell. I couldn't wake you up with normal means. So, I did what Ira would do and thought outside the box." Aubree's voice faltered as she spoke about Ira. New tears began to brim at the corners of her eyes.

"Isn't this a bit far outside the box for a simple sleep cantrip?" said Flurry with a slight smile. The princess raised the crestfallen face of Aubree with her right hand. Flurry gazed into the young woman's ruby pools. The raw emotion in Aubree's eyes stirred something primal within Flurry Heart. Attraction? Something more...

"Magic isn't my forte... Ira on the other hand is a natural," said Aurora, eyes downcast.

"I will keep that in mind..." Silence... Don't sell yourself short you are more magically inclined than you think." Flurry scratched her head, nervously. "I owe you my gratitude... thanks for your help."

Aubree nodded, "I did what I could."

Flurry cocked her head to the left placing her right index finger on her chin, contemplating. "I don't want to seem ungrateful but why were you looking for me?"

"Aunt Twinkle and her pink haired friend mentioned Shadow. She said I should talk to you."

"Aunt Twinkle? ..."

Aubree flinched, squinting her left eye." Oh um... I have and Aunt Twinkle... It's a common mistake."

"Uh huh..." grunted Flurry.

Seconds passed, both women standing in silence. Suddenly, Flurry's eyes widened like a cartoon character. "SHADOW!" Panicking, Flurry began to fade, into stardust.

"Flurry Heart! Calm down, please."

Aubree's plea echoed in the starry void.

"Damn it all!"

Sigh Aubree blinked out, following the princess. Returning to her physical body at the speed of light, Aubree stumbled to the floor of her pocket dimension with a loud crash. The yellow alicorn tumble end over end crashing into the small wooden nightstand. The cell phone on the surface clattered to the floor, several cracks spider-ed across the glass screen. "Frack me! That hurt..." wined Aubree rubbing her head with her left hoof. The young mare stood only to be knocked down by Flurry heart.

"What is this place? I need to get out of here!" shouted Flurry, frantic.

"Damn it, Flurry Heart! Calm down..." Aubree righted herself. "I have enough issues walking in this form. ... I don't need you making it worse..." grumbled the yellow alicorn.

"Help me find a way out of here, Aubree."

"NO!"

"What do you mean no?" scoffed Flurry, ceasing.

"I said no. ... You are in no condition to go anywhere."

"YOU WILL LET ME OUT, NOW!" shouted Flurry, using her royal voice.

Aubree flinched, reflexively. "THE HELL I WILL!" responded Aurora with a matching voice.

"Who do you think you are?"

"Not one of your subjects, Princess!"

"W... what?" replied Flurry, taken aback.

Now I know how Ira feels when she is talking to me... I really should apologize...

"As I already said. You are in no condition to charge halfcocked into danger."

"I'm perfectly fine!"

Aubree walked over to the pink alicorn, shoving her. Flurry stumbled back, collapsing to the floor. "See! The sleep spell has lingering effects. You can barely stand on your own four legs."

"I thought... you were on my side..."

"I' am on your side, Flurry Heart. I can't watch you and fight off the enemies at the same time. The moment I drop my pocket dimension, we will probably be swarmed by the castle guards and mages."

Growl "There is no other choice."

"What do you mean?"

"They took Shadow to the dungeon... Where your sister is at."

"Oh shit."

********************

Shadow bathed in violet flames attacked the mare who had assaulted him. The guard panicking at the sudden change that came over her captive, lunged with her spear. The move, incredibly slow in Shadow's altered state was easily side stepped. The stallion scored a hit on the guard's right flank with his extended horn. The mare's flesh erupted with blood followed the smell of cooked meat as her wound was cauterized at the same time. The guard scream in pain dropping her spear from the searing pain. The enraged nightmare sensing the lapse in strength, capitalized on it. Violet flames flared up, ready to turn the cowering mare to ashes.

"Wait! not like this..." cried a voice from inside Shadow's mind.

Shadow fueled by Ira's raging energy roared with defiance. "SHE MUST DIE!" The nightmare eyes closed lashed at the disembodied voice. His right hoof connected with the guard mare's head, leaving a hoof print seared on the side of her face. The guard collapsed to the stone floor unconscious.

"Open you mind... Let in the calm. Only you can quell the rage... Be a role model for Ira..."

"Who are you? What are you doing in my mind?"

"Now is not the time... I..."

Watching his comrade fall the closest guard turn to face Shadow. Seeing the nightmare's internal struggle, attacked. The voice in his mind stopped as Shadow was brought back to reality. Hissing from the pain Shadow knocked the spear aside with his left hoof, setting it on fire. The violet flames trailed up the wooden shaft burning the hooves holding it. The Stallion dropped the weapon, blowing in his burnt appendages. He paused as the nightmare's shadow fell over him. Shadow's blazing glare etched heart stopping fear into the guard's soul. The scent of warm urine assailed his nostrils as a stream of yellow trickled down his hind legs. The stallion's survival instincts kicked just in time. Just as the nightmare's hooves came crashing down the guard turned around and bolted for the exit. Shadow's hooves impacted on the floor sending up a shower of splintering stone, where the guard stood seconds ago. Shadow snapped to attention at the commotion coming from the cell.

"DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE!" shrieked Iridescent over and over. Assaulting the final two guards. The green nightmare's flames were so intense the spear heads melted to slag. The guards dropped what remained of their armaments, turning to flee. Ira was having none of that. Her violet horn glowed green. A wall of blazing green fire blocked off their retreat. Iridescent grinned maliciously as she stalked forward like a predator on the hunt. With each step she took the brighter her green flames became and the more feral she became. Her once delicate furl became more ridged and spiked like hundreds of sharp needles. Her bones popped and realigned as her body began to grow and contort into something evil.

Shadow feeling the immense change in the flow of energy, paused. The stallion was overcome with excitement as Ira's aura fed into him as his fed into her. He felt the changes to his physical body. With what little rationality he had left he charged through green fire wall. Shadow taking the attack, rear kicked the guards through the searing hot flames. Singed and frightened the guards ran, screaming as the escaped the dungeon.

Ira overcome with the urge to kill, pounced. Her fangs bit into flesh but not the tender meat she craved. Instead, she tasted the ethereal essence of Shadow. The stallion fought back the pain, trying to keep his sanity. Being near Ira was speeding up the feral transformations. With a final desperate roar there was a blast of concentrated violet and green energy. The foundations of the castle shook from the ethereal force. Time stood still. Flames ebbed as the nightmares slowly shrank back to what passed as a pair of unicorns. Shadow and Ira collapsed to the ground unconscious.