• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

...Storm!

Author's Note:

Wow 3 chapters done in a week a new record. Here is 15 enjoy.

Crystal Empire, Alternate Future

Flurry led shadow to a corner booth away from all the other pub patrons and sat down. Shadow took a moment to study the room with worried eyes.

"This is my own private booth no pony will bother us here or harm you so sit down," said Flurry.

Cautiously Shadow sat across from the alicorn.

"Why are you doing this princess?"

"Wow you really do have trust issues..." said Flurry with a sad undertone.

"Not many people give me a good enough reason to trust them. It also prevents being used and then discard like trash. When someone does something nice there is an ulterior motive. So what is your game? Princess!"

"Just Flurry please. There is no hidden agenda. I am no princess. Only the citizens of Equestria refer to me as royalty."

"You’re not a princess? Weren't you born into royalty? Your life is the definition of royalty.

"You sound like my mother."

"Is that such a bad thing?"

Flurry, detecting no malice in Shadow's expression, thought for a moment before answering.

"I suppose not but she expects me to ascend the throne after her and my father."

"If that is all you have to worry about princess then your life isn't so complicated. I wish I had your life," replied Shadow with a bit of venom.

Flurry glared at the stallion. "You think my life is easy? Have you ever had your life chosen for you? All everypony ever tells me is that it is my destiny to rule. That I was fated to be born an alicorn. Do you even know what being an alicorn royal entails? No, you don't. So, let me just tell you to save you to the embarrassment. Yes, I am the daughter of royalty but in order to truly become a ruler of Equestria I will have to undergo the final coronation," said Flurry venomously.

"So, you're upset you get a party? I fail to see how that is a bad thing. You will need more than a rite of passage to convince me of your plight," interrupted Shadow.

"Listen here, Snart for brains it isn't a party... Well it is but it is more complicated than that."

"Sorry for interrupting please continue," said Shadow with feigned enthusiasm.

Flurry stared at the stallion skeptically. "Are you sure you want to know?"

Shadow answered with a nod of his head.

"Instead of food I get stuck listening to a whiny princess... just my luck," thought Shadow.

"Where was I?"

"Coronation," replied Shadow.

"Ah yes... that. The coronation ceremony imbues the ruler with longevity and after being crowned you are devoted to Equestria body and soul."

"Wait what? You mean immortality?" asked Shadow intrigued.

"Not completely immortal the rulers can still be killed but they pretty much stop aging."

"How old are the current rulers?"

"Celestia and Luna are over one thousand years old."

"For being over a century old they were pretty weak," muttered Shadow.

"What was that?" asked Flurry.

"Oh... I said define body and soul," replied Shadow changing the subject.

"The rulers are eternally bound by magic. Their subjects and land come before their own needs and wants," said Flurry with a sad expression.

"I still fail to see how that is bad," replied Shadow with a soft voice.

"Just think for a moment and let what I said sink in."

Shadow thought a moment. "So you outlive everyone else."

"Sigh you really don't get it do you," said Flurry with tear stained eyes.

"Logically speaking I fail to to the down side to all of this."

Flurry turned away, choking back her tears.

Out of the blue Shadow heard the chime of Trixie's voice mentioning friends. He clear his thoughts and gazed deeply into her blue pools. "You're right I don't... I don't understand. I have... never been good at understanding others... So tell... Please enlighten me so that I can understand... I want to know."

Flurry felt a surge of warmth at the unicorn's akward sincerity and spoke. "The best example is my Aunt Twilight and my mother Princess Cadance. My mother has undergone the coronation ritual. Even though she has a family, she must devote most of that time to Equestria. I do get to spend time with her... but that time is usually short. My father will eventually grow old and die long before my mother. Unless something happens to her, she will not age much past what she looks like now. Maybe taller with a bit of flowing hair. Aunt Twilight is also married and has Twinkle. She has not undergone the ritual, so she isn't bound by time or magic. If she stays that way, she will grow old with my uncle and eventually die."

"Cadance lives a long life existing for her people while he family comes after. While Twilight has more time to devote to her family," replied Shadow.

"Yes."

"You don't want to inherit your mother's kingdom. So, you would rather live a mortal life like your aunt? I sense there is more to it."

Flurry silently nodded her head before continuing.

"Just because I was born into royalty doesn't make me a ruler. I am no leader... I am a selfish mare. I want to choose my own path in life. To fall in love and devote my life to my family and not a whole nation... I don't want to endure the eternal heart ache with losing everything I hold dear... and then one day...

"One day; what?"

"Snap..."

"You seem like a pretty level headed person," said Shadow.

"Thats not true. There has always been something primal surging through my being. I have been able to keep it in check except under emotional duress. When I snap something always breaks... Always! Celestia always says being born an alicorn means being fated to rule... Always be alone."

"I believe I understand you a bit more. On a logical stand point. On an emotional level I can't say that I undestand... Not after Sunset... ... From my interactions with Celestia though, I wouldn't take her words to heart. She is just a stuck-up bitch, who thinks she is always right."

Flurry quietly giggled at his words. "I am guessing you don't have a good relationship with Celestia?"

"Umm... So, you don't believe in fate?" said Shadow quickly changing the subject.

Flurry receiving her answer just smiled and replied "Not at first..."

"That is just a fancy but, you need elaborate."

"I do, do I? Just like how you diverts my question."

"What? Paha! I would never..."

The alicorn relished at Shadow's discomfort for a moment before replying. "Please don't misconstrue what I am about to say."

Shadow suspicious, silently nodded.

"I never believed in fate until you held me hostage."

"You lost me," said Shadow, head cocked like a confused child.

Flurry released a melodic laugh at Shadow's reaction.

"I fail to see how that is funny."

"It's the hostage part that changed my mind... it was the connection that we shared when you physically touched me."

"I have no idea what you are talking about," said Shadow turning away from Flurry's intense blue eyes and blushing.

"Don't play coy. I know you felt the same thing."

"You must have hit your head during the vortex incident."

"Perhaps you're right but if that was the case then explain the red thread that binds us."

Shadow thought back to that time on the astral plane when he followed the red tread to Sunset. "Red thread... you have seen them?"

"Them? I have only seen the one that connects us."

"I have seen them before, but I have no idea what they entail" said Shadow.

"I read about it in a book titled Threads and Connections. From what I understand is that the thread is referred to as the red thread of fate. The ancients believe that every living creature has a red thread and that it binds us with our loved ones but there is a deeper meaning for the bright crimson strands..." Flurry trailed off as a blush entered her cheeks.

"You can't stop there."

Before Flurry could continue a cloaked yellow unicorn with a blue mane sat next to Shadow across from the princess.

"Good evening! I am Aurora Breeze. First just let me say it is an honor to personally meet you Princess Flurry Heart. I don't mean to intrude on your date, but I couldn't help but overhear you talking about fate."

....................

The waiter made his rounds taking orders when finally, he stopped at the sister's table.

"What can I get for you little ladies tonight?"

"I will have the spice cider and the grump will have a water," said Aurora.

"Aubr... e... e..." hissed Iridescent.

"Oh, sorry Grumpy will have the spiced cider as well."

"Two spiced ciders coming right up," said the waiter turning away.

"Really, Aubree?"

"What now? You don't want the spiced cider?" said Aubree ignoring her sister.

"Did you forget, why we are here?"

"Oh, will you just relax I am just yanking your tail. Sheesh your no fun anymore. Whatever happened to that kitten loving dork I used to know and love?"

"She died," said Ira bluntly.

"Well I cast resurrection and summon old Iridescent Dusk."

"Cut it out Aubree and help me think of a plan."

"Really Ira is that all? I have a better idea."

"What, lame prank have you cooked up now?"

With a mischievous smile Aurora Breeze stood up and cantered over to the target's table.

"What the hell Aubree?"

********************

"I don't mean to be blunt, but do you mind. This is an A and B conversation. Not an A, B, and C one."

"Oh sorry. please let me remedy that. Hey Ira, come on over," shouted Aurora innocently waving to her sister.

Iridescent Dusk grumbled with irritation. "She dies before him."

To save on anymore embarrassment Ira joined the other three ponies at Flurry's table.

"See I fixed it now it is an A, B, C, and D conversation," said Aubree cheerfully.

"No interruptions... princess," said Shadow chiding Flurry.

"Sorry I have no idea who these two are."

"Let me reintroduce myself I am Aurora Breeze, but you may call me Aubree and the gloomy emo pony is my sister Iridescent Dusk, but she prefers Ira.

"I am not emo, Aubree you air head," said Ira.

"Tomato, potato," replied Aurora whimsically.

"That's not how the saying goes," shouted Shadow and Ira in unison.

Flurry looked at the two with a shocked expression. "Are you two related?"

Shadow looked to Iridescent as she mirrored the stallion. "Pure coincidence," replied the unicorns at the same time.

"Wow looks like Ira isn't the only emo pony around here. So, who might you be Gloomy Gus?"

asked Aubree.

"Shadow Lulamoon."

Aurora's friendly expression changed, taken by fear. "Lulamoon..."

Aubree paused mid-sentence as she felt the heat of Ira's wrathful glare.

"Oops silly me I seemed to have forgotten. Well it is getting late and Ira needs her sleep, or she gets really cranky. Till next time," said Aurora quickly getting up from the table followed by her sister.

The waiter stopped in front of the sisters to hand them their drinks. "Young ladies your spiced cider?"

"I'm sorry good sir but just give them to our friends over there. The princess has the tab," said Aubree with a wink as she exited the establishment.

********************

"What does emo mean?" asked Flurry.

"In my world it means dark and brooding."

"So, there is a term that describes you," chuckled Flurry.

"Don't go there, princess."

"Coming from an emo pony like you just sounds, condescending."

""Fine... Flurry."

Flurry Heart smiled triumphantly.

"Those two were weird," said Shadow.

" I don't know who is worse Aubree or Pinkie Pie."

"Just thinking about Pinkie gives me a migraine," replied Shadow.

"Either way I don't think running into them was a coincidence," said Flurry.

"What I thought you and Aubree were close friends," Teased Shadow.

"That mare is sketchier than Zany. I would never be friends with her."

"I don't know... The way she scrunches her nose reminds me of you," said Shadow with a smile.

Flurry studied her companion and said, "a smile looks better on you than a scowl."

********************

"Aurora Breeze what were you thinking," shouted Ira.

"Now we are on a full name basis Iridescent Dusk?"

"You're not getting away with changing the subject this time. You could have blown our cover."

"I didn't and you're welcome," replied Aubree, coarsely.

"Answer the question Aubree," spat Ira as a green aura flashed in her eyes.

"You asked for action, so I gave you action."

"I said we need a plan not for you to be reckless!"

"I don't know why you are always so angry. We learn some information; you got a good profile of the target and I got to see Flurry Heart. It was a win for us," shouted Aubree with sad eyes.

"That wasn't a win Aubree. You dropped your acting when you heard the name Lulamoon."

"Now that you mention it, the demon spider from the story was name something, Lulamoon. I don't think our aunts told us everything."

"I could have told you that," spat Ira.

"Wait you knew and didn't tell me?" replied Aubree with a raised voice.

"Damn you figured me out."

"Don't you play coy with me Iridescent Dusk. We promised no more secrets."

"I wouldn't have to keep secrets if you weren't so unreliable and weak."

"Is that really what you think of me Ira?" asked Aubree, tears frozen to her cheeks.

"On occasions like tonight, I do."

"At least I did something unlike you, who can't even make a choice to save or take a life," growled Aubree.

"CHARGING HEAD LONG INTO A PROBLEM IS GOING TO GET US KILLED AUBREE."

"NO IRA TAKING AN ETERNITY TO MAKE A DECISION IS GOING TO GET US KILLED."

"EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE HAS CONSEQUENCES AUBREE. YOU NEVER PREPARE. THERE IS TO MUCH AT STAKE TO BE PLAYING GAMES."

"DON'T YOU DARE LECTURE ME. I KNOW WHAT IS AT STAKE AND I WILL TAKE EVERY ACTION I CAN TO SECURE MY FUTURE," screamed Aubree as her wings unfolded knocking away her cloak.

"Aubree, your wings."

"I don't care!" Came the blank response as Aurora's horn glowed blue. The air surrounding the sisters dropped a few degrees and as Ira's teeth began to chatter the temperature dropped even lower. Iridescent Dusk caught a glimpse of a red strand as it vanished into the aether. An icy blue mist replaced the alicorn's tears as it billowed out into the snow-covered street. The clear night sky filled with storm clouds as the bitter northern winds picked up, whipping snow and ice around. The dark violet unicorn had heard the stories of her sister losing control, but she always shrugged them off as fiction. Witnessing Aubree's rage firsthand frightened Ira to her core.

"Aubree, I'm sorry please stop this. I don't want to hurt you."

"You don't want to hurt me? And you call me the weak one!" said Aurora with an echoing, otherworldly voice.

Ira's horn glowed a soft green as she vanished from site.

"Oh, Ira dear how quaint. You used your invisibility. Oops sorry you’re not powerful enough to do that. No matter you can't hide forever. Sooner or later you will slip up and when you do it’s all over."

Ira hid in the shadows trying to think up a plan. "This is impossible. even at her strongest, Aubree doesn't have this much power. Her aura has turned ethereal. I wish I could remember what we were called as kids... daughters... fates... something."

"Ira, I see your outline in the snow."

"Damn it!"

Large pointy Icicles flew from the tip of Aurora's horn targeting Ira.

The unicorn ducked as two icicles passed millimeters from her head crashing through a window. "That was close."

Aubree gazed through the snow spotting her sister's outline. The ethereal alicorn stomped her right hoof, freezing the ground for miles.

Ira cried out in panic as a sheet of ice appeared beneath her. She slipped, lost her balance, and skidded into a stone wall. Before she could act Ira felt the sting of bitter cold as three icicles bit into her flesh pinning her to the frozen ground.

********************

Several Shards of Ice crashed through the pub window, striking the wall next to Shadow like darts.

Shadow felt the subtle shift in the aetheric plane as a power surged outside. Flurry feeling the same thing looked to her companion. "Do you feel that."

"Yea I do, it's coming from outside."

"I need to check and see what's going on," said Flurry galloping to the door.

Shadow followed close behind. "You’re not going alone."

The couple rushed out the door into the swirling snowstorm. Flurry stared in wide eyed bewilderment at the ethereal alicorn standing in the middle of the storm.

"What in Celestia's name is that?"

"That would be a nightmare."

"A nightmare? How is a dream here Shadow?"

"Not that kind of nightmare. This type of nightmare is an ethereal entity that manifests with emotions. In my experience, anger."

"I don't understand everything, but I don't believe now is the time for a lecture," said Flurry.

Shadow nodded his head in agreement as he watched the icy nightmare cast icicle spikes at something that he couldn't see. All the sudden the ground glazed over with ice causing Shadow and Flurry to lose their balance and slip. Shadow watched as the unicorn Iridescent dusk appeared out of thin air and slide into a wall. Time seemed to come to a standstill as Ira was pierced by three icicles. Fire danced in Shadow's eyes as he was forced to relive Sunset's tragedy. Tears froze to his cheeks as purple flames erupted around him.

Flurry Heart backed away in awe at her companion's sudden transformation.

Feeling the strong aura, Aubree turned her focus towards the flaming Unicorn. "So, you have come to join Ira in death, so be it."

"Aubree you are out of control. Stop this now before you can't come back," boomed Shadow's ethereal voice.

"Why would I want to go back to being weak and helpless when I have all of this power," roared Aubree.

"I guess we fight," said Shadow.

"Finally, a kindred spirit" replied Aurora as she charged at Shadow.