• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Complications of the Heart! Part 1

Author's Note:

This Chapter is pretty long so I will break it up into two chapters. Here is the first part please enjoy. Don't forget to comment I like constructive critisism :)

Equestria Twilight's Crystal Castle Present Day

Sunset Shimmer stirred in her sleep, due to a loud knock coming from her door. The unicorn rolled placing a pillow over her head to silence the noise. Sunset drained and exhausted from her trip to the astral plane faded back into her deep slumber. The words "Sunset... Sunset Shimmer," rang hollowly, lingering in the back of her mind. When no response was forthcoming the voice on the reverse side of the door took on a more urgent tone while pounding on the wooden barricade.

"Sunset Shimmer! If you're in there open this door, please." Still no reply. "Fine if you won’t answer I am coming in."

With a quick flash Twilight Sparkle from the human world blinked out, appearing on the inside of the door. Sci-Twi standing in utter blackness yanked open the tall red flowing curtains allowing sunlight to penetrate the lonely blackness of the room. Using the natural light as a guide the magenta unicorn weaved her way through the maze of randomness towards the queen-sized bed in the center of the room.

"Good word, this room is messier than your apparent back home is Sunset," muttered Twilight under her breath.

Sci-Twi's pace was slow going as she bumped into many smaller objects. The young mare stopped abruptly wincing in pain as her right front most hoof connected with something hard.

"FRACK ME!" howled Twilight using the same explicative that she heard Sunset Shimmer use most days. Nursing her hoof Twilight growled and removed the clutter away from the bed using telekinesis. Several bruises and no patience later she was standing next to Sunset Shimmer. "Sunset Shimmer you need to get your mopey rump up right now!" demanded Sci-Twi. Whether the sleeping mare heard Twilight or not, Sunset didn't budge. Annoyed Twilight glared at the covered form of Sunset Shimmer. "I said get up!" shouted the lavender unicorn removing the blankets and yanking the pillow out of Sunset's grasp using magic.

Sunset hissed and groaned, flinching away from the noon day sunlight that burned her eyes. "What? ... What the frack?"

"You need to get up right now," repeated Sci-Twi stamping her left front hoof in irritation.

Sunset blinked, rubbing her bleary watery eyes, focusing on the lavender unicorn. "Ugh! ... Go away Sci-Twi, you are fracking annoying."

"Don't you dare scoff at me Sunset Shimmer. You have no right to be annoyed. I am the one who has bruises on top of their bruises. And for the last time my name is not Sci-Twi!"

Sunset groaned, rolled her eyes, and pull the blanket over her face using her magic.

"No, you don't Sunset Shimmer! Princess Twilight sent me to retrieve you and bring you to her lab and I intend to make sure that happens." The blanket wrapped in a lavender glow winked out of existence, teleported to some unknown location.

"Just tell her I died," muttered Sunset glaring at her best friend from the human world.

"That would be a lie considering you are definitely not speaking right now," said the unicorn sarcastically.

"I don't care what you tell the Princess just go away and leave me alone..." growled Sunset.

Twilight cocked her head as she studied her friend. Always the perceptive one, Twilight noticed that Sunset's eyes were bloodshot and crusted from crying. "Sunset, what happened last night that made your attitude worse. Did you dream about your breakup with Shadow?" Sunset winced at the mention of Shadow.

"It is about Shadow," stated Sci-Twi.

"You're wrong..." said Sunset, her bottom lip quivering as her voice caught in her throat.

Sci-Twi sat on the bed next to her best friend, Princess Twilight's request forgotten. "You can tell me Sunset I don't bite," said Twilight with a gentle laugh.

Sunset quickly averted her gaze, remaining silent. With no response forthcoming Twilight tried a new approach. "Sunset when I turned into... When I turned into Midnight Sparkle, you were always there for me. You helped guide me through the darkness and into the light. When my nightmares of my time as Midnight haunted me and ruined my dreams you were there to comfort me. As time went on you helped me embrace my magic and not be controlled by my fears. So please... let me help you now."



Sunset slowly glanced up, her aqua eyes gazing into her friends. "While.... I was asleep... I traveled to th... the astral plane where I met Shadow..."

Twilight looked at her companion with extreme interest, eyes glittering with a thirst for knowledge. Sci-Twi remained silent nodding her head at different intervals while hundreds of questions swirled in her head like leaves caught in a whirlwind as Sunset spoke about the visit to the astral plane. "When you met with shadow did you two have a fight? Did he do something terrible to you?"

"No... nothing like that..."

"What happened?"

"...He... was..." Sunset choked on her words sobbing as her tears began to flow.

"Shhhh! Let it all out," said Twilight embracing her friend with a comforting hug.

When Sunset was calm, she continued her tale. "Shadow wasn't alone... He was with Flurry Heart."

" From the name I am guessing Flurry Heart is a female?"

Sunset nodded in affirmation. "She is but... more complicated."

"Complicated how?"

"Flurry Heart is an alicorn princess from an alternate future as well as Princess Twilight's niece. Like me she is bound to Shadow by a crimson thread, and judging by her attitude I believe she is in love with him as well..."

"Oh, sweet temptations of science... that is quite the conundrum," replied Twilight her mouth agape like a cartoon character.

"Try being there in person... and talking to her," replied Sunset defeated.

"Did you two fight?"

"Kind of... but not really."

"I don't want to seem like a nag in you time of need... but can you not speak in riddles?"

"Shadow once said the same thing," said Sunset with a forlorn expression.

"Sunset?" asked Twilight, worried.

Sunset blinked, focusing on her friend. "I'm fine... I just spaced out for a second. What were we talking about?"

"You were about to tell me about you fight with Flurry Heart."

"We didn't really fight. We shared some raw emotions and Flurry Heart got between me and Shadow."

"She got confrontational?" asked Twilight defensively.

"No."

"Okay... I don't understand she was in your way. How does that not count as a confrontation?"

"Flurry did get in the way but she was only protecting Shadow."

"I am guessing you used your empathy magic on her."

"Yes."

"What cruel intentions did that slut have."

"That’s just it Twi... Flurry showed no signs of malice or negative emotions except for remorse and sadness and a hint of unwavering resolve."

"What did you do?"

"Nothing..." replied Sunset her voice quavering.

The purple unicorn adjusted her black framed glasses in agitation. "Sunset I just want you to know that You are my best friend and I will always be here for you but sometimes you just infuriate me with your stupidity. How could you just let that snobby princess walk all over you? What happened to the Sunset shimmer that fights for her friends and what she wants? I won't pretend to understand everything that is going on with your relationship with Shadow, but I refuse to sit by and let you waste away because of your idiocy. You need to talk to Shadow."

"... After what I did to him... I don't deserve..."

"Oh, boo hoo! You now must work a bit harder to win your man back. You messed up big deal. Buck up and push forward because if you don't you will regret it for the rest of your life."

Sunset winced in pain, closing her eyes.

"I am sorry if what I said hurt, but it was something you needed to hear," said Twilight with a look of concern.

"It's not that Twi... I appreciate your concern but... I think my water just broke," cried Sunset grabbing her sides.

"What do you mean your water broke? I don't see any broken glass anywhere."

Sunset screamed doubling over in pain. A pool of fluid escaped the fiery haired unicorn soaking the bed and flooding onto the floor.

"Oh, that water," stated Sci-Twi.

Twilight stared at her friend for a brief second before her eyes widened as the realization set in. "OH FRACK... THAT WATER!"

The purple unicorn stood up and began to hyperventilate as she began to panic. "Oh my, oh my, oh my... What should I do? What should I do?"

"Urrgh... Twi... now is not the time for you to be Twilighting..." groaned Sunset.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You're going into labor and I don't know what I should do?" said Twilight ignoring Sunset.

"TWILIGHT!" screamed Sunset.

The purple mare paused, her gaze falling to Sunset. "Ah ha! I know what to do."

"That's... great... Twi... but... I... need... to... get... to... the... hospital," replied Sunset, grunting between contractions.

"Don't worry Sunset. I need to run to the library to get a book on childbirth," said Twilight disregarding her friend.

"Twilight... I hate... you..." growled Sunset, doubling over in pain.

********************

Alternate Future Crystal Empire

The castle shuddered as yelling and screaming reverberated through the halls.

"ZANY!"

"Yeouch!"

"Put down that marshmallow bomb!"

Slpat!

"You are so dead!" shouted Twinkle Sparkle.

Shadow startled, quickly sat up from all the ruckus. The air in the room crackled with a strange yet familiar energy causing the unicorn’s hair to stand up. His eyes scanned the dimly lit room trying to locate the source of his discomfort. Even when his analysis of the room came up clear, the feeling of being watched remained.

Flurry Heart stirred from Shadow's sudden movements. The alicorn opening her weary eyes stretched her aching muscles while stifling a yawn.

"Is everything alright?" asked Flurry.

"Not really... It isn't every day that you wake up to a shaking bed and loud screams."

"What do you mean?"

Before the unicorn could answer the question, a female voice echoed in the hallway on the other side of the double doors. "Zany oh Zany my love... please come out so we can talk this out peacefully." Twinkle's voice sounded so sweet and forced, that Shadow was unconvinced that she was sincere.

"If I'm not fooled by that Snart for Brains I doubt her boyfriend would be foolish enough to fall for it..."

"You would be surprised what someone will do for love," replied Flurry with a soft smile.

"Love? ... That sounds more like someone out for blood than it does love... Did you just say someone instead of somepony?" said Shadow.

"I guess after what you did to me last night... my mind may also have been altered in some way. Why is it a bad thing to say someone?"

"Not really... I like it though. You sound... more... human..." said Shadow with a vivid blush.

"Thank you, Shadow... Thank you for everything... Last night was quite special to me... It was an experience I won't soon forget..."

"Which time?" asked Shadow beaming with excitement and curiosity.

"Both..." replied Flurry timidly.

The couple sat in awkward silence blushing profusely until Flurry broke the tension.

"Shadow... Ever since we met, I knew that there was something between us... but after last night... I believe I am falling in love with you."

Shadow stared at his companion with a shocked expression. "What?"

"I don't need to know right now but... I was wondering how you feel about me?" asked Flurry, pretending that the stallion's reaction didn't affect her, even though her heart was in agony.

"I'm sorry Flurry... I never gave it much thought... I need a bit of time to think so that I can give you a proper answer."

Flurry winced before saying, "I understand... you need time to recover... from your ordeal with Sunset Shimmer..."

"That incident no longer bothers me. During my last foray on the astral plane I was given a vision from Sunset's perspective. I understand why she did what she did, and I have forgiven her for it."

"Is it a fear of betraying her then?"

"That never crossed my mind but no that isn't it either."

"I don't understand."

"Hmmm... I guess the best way to describe my thought process is that I need time to understand how I feel."

"You lost me..." said Flurry in confusion.

Chuckle

"I don't see what's so funny," chided Flurry.

"Let me rephrase my statement. Like you, when I first saw you, I felt the bond that connects us. We are bound by that crimson thread of fate. Before I can answer your question truthfully, I need to know that what I feel is genuine and not because of fate's tampering."

"Well that's just what every mare wants to hear," grumbled Flurry with sarcasm.

"Urgh! I can't take any more of this nonsense. You two are so infuriating!" griped a detached voice from the air.

The young couple surprised, jumped from the intrusion.

"ZANY!" shouted Flurry Heart.

********************

"ZANY WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY ROOM?"

"Shhhhhhhhh... Not so loud. I am hiding from Twinkle."

"In my room?"

"I know right. This is the last place she would think to look for me," replied the grey stallion popping into existence, floating in midair.

"You need to leave right now," said Flurry.

"Nope! No can do. Twinkle is on a rampage."

"You should be less afraid of your girlfriend and more worried about me," growled the alicorn.

"You have a good point Flutter Nutter. What happened in here last night... I already know the jist of it but please fill me in on all the juicy details," replied Zany with a cheshire grin and waggling his eyebrows.

"I don't know who is more annoying you or that Pinkle Tie," growled Shadow glaring daggers at the grey stallion.

"If you mean Pinkie Pie there is no contest, definitely her," quipped Zany.

"ZANY!" screamed Flurry Heart.

********************

Twinkle Sparkle wandered down the hallway muttering to herself. "Where is that lowlife boyfriend of mine hiding?"

The lavender alicorn froze just outside her cousin's room as she pondered Zany's thought processes. "If I were Lamey I would hide in the one place my girlfriend wouldn't think to look for me... and normally I would never think to check Flurry's room, but I have spent my whole life around Zany." Twinkle hesitated, glancing and the intricate gold metal patterns on the double doors. Just before she could knock a scream echoed from her cousin's inner chambers. No other confirmation needed, Twinkle unlocked the doors with alicorn magic and charged through the threshold.

"Zany you are so dead!" shouted Twinkle barging into the room.

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF CELESTIA?" shouted Twinkle a second time at the sight of her cousin sharing a bed with Shadow.

"I am still very much alive but if you two lamers don't stop fracking screaming then some is going to die today," chided Zany, all but forgotten by his girlfriend.

The lavender alicorn's face contorted in shock at seeing Shadow in bed next to Flurry Heart. "Flu... Flur... Flurr... Flurry... what is Shadow do... doing in your room?"

"Doesn't anyone knock anymore?" growled Flurry.

"Maybe I should go... before anything else can go wrong," said Shadow.

"No, you stay. My inconsiderate cousin and her pervert stallion need to leave," said Flurry seething.

Shadow slowly began to back away from the raging alicorn as yellow energy danced in her eyes.

"I said stay," said Flurry her voice barely a whisper.

Shadow froze in place. Gulp

Zany chuckled at the unicorn's discomfort before the princess's glared silenced him as well.

Twinkle's panicked gaze started at Flurry, then moved to Shadow followed by Zany, then halting back on her cousin.

"Oh, my Celestia, oh my Celestia, oh my Celestia.... What are we going to? What are we going to do? If Uncle Shining and Aunt Cadance find out about this... My mother will never let me, and Zany be alone together again... Maybe... maybe... maybe this is not what it seems... and... and... Shadow just happens to be... to be... to be in here," stammered Twinkle, her voice high pitched and quavering.

Twinkle's wide-eyed hysteria was enough to knock Flurry Heart out of her nightmare inducing rage. "Everything is alright Twinkle... you need to take a deep breath and calm yourself before you pass out. You are twilighting harder that your mother." The purple alicorn, reassured by her cousin's calm voice took a deep breath, inhaling the cool dry air.

"That's better dear cousin. How do you feel?" replied Flurry.

"Bet... better," squeaked Twinkle.

The area fell silent for a few seconds that felt like an eternity to those in the room.

"I am so glad that I was wrong," said Twinkle breaking the silence.

"What do you mean?" asked Flurry.

"This is so embarrassing... but I guess I deserve to be the center of ridicule for thinking that you had an intimate evening with Shadow..." said a squeamish Twinkle, blushing.

"Oh, my sweet innocent Twinkle Toes! You are not wrong at all. They did have a wild romp in the sheets last night and from what I heard it was not a onetime incident," replied Zany nonchalantly.

"WHAT?" shouted Twinkle before passing out and falling to the floor. Thud! The mare's voice effected by her alicorn magic, echoed through the castle shattering windows and causing crystals to rain down all over the royal palace. The ruckus caused by Twinkle and her stallion was commonplace around the castle and ignored by the palace guards unless they were commanded to intervene. This time the situation was different and a new one for all who were presently in the castle. Shining Armor followed by his wife Cadance, gathered three dozen guards and headed to the source of the disturbance.

********************

The royal couple galloped through the halls, fear and panic driving them forward. Shining Armor expecting the worst skidded to a halt followed by the rest, in front of the open door to Flurry's chambers. The Captain of the Royal Guard glanced into the room. His eyes passing over the four young adults. Shining's gaze lingered on Shadow and Flurry. "Which of you is my daughter?"

"I am right here father," replied Flurry as herself.

"Oh, thank Celestia!" came the reply as he stared at Shadow.

"This won't end well," muttered Shadow his voice barely a whisper.

Not hearing the retort Shining spoke. "Since you have been here anything that has gone wrong has you involved. Tell me why that is?"

Cadance stepped passed her husband, her gaze soaking in the sight of her passed out niece. "What happened to Twinkle?"

Zany panicked, looked to Flurry and Shadow for help. Cadance ever the perceptive one noticed the exchange. The princess's bright purple eyes examined her daughter and Shadow for a moment and then widened with realization. "Shining honey, please dismiss the guards and escort your niece to the medical wing so that she can be checked out." Flurry Heart's gaze lingered on her mother. The whole time Cadance spoke her cold steely gaze remained on the young couple sitting in bed.

"She knows" whispered Flurry to Shadow.

Shadow's eyes gazed into Flurry's blue ones as he nodded his understanding. The little exchange didn't go unnoticed as Cadance sighed with a deeper understanding as well as a hint of disappointment. "Zany."

"Ye... yes ma'am," said Zany without any humor.

"Please go with Twinkle and Shining," replied Canance's calm and cool voice.

Knowing better than to argue with an angry mother, Zany nodded in agreement and quickly dashed out of the room following the guards.

********************

Princess Cadance focused her royal visage towards Shadow. I need to have a little heart to heart with my daughter and you are not needed. You may leave." Shadow shrank back as Cadance's steely gaze pierced his soul. Flurry Heart placed her left front hoof over his. The lite pink alicorn followed the gesture with a reassuring smile. "With all due respect Cadance, whatever you have to say to Flurry pertains to the both of us. We made our choices together and acted upon them. I will remain by her side until she tells me otherwise," replied Shadow mustering up his resolve. Flurry's eyes watered while her heart raced with warmth at his words. Cadance gave Shadow a quick once over as her scowl softened a bit.

"Although I am not happy with how this little relationship progressed, I can truly say that you have my support. Shadow, you choose wisely and passed my test."

"What do you mean I passed the test?"

"Flurry Heart may be strong willed and hard to deal with but she is my most precious treasure. I need to know that her special sompony will look after no matter what."

"Now I am curious what if I had chosen to leave?" asked Shadow a little relieved.

"I may be the Princess of Love, but I am a mother first and foremost. We can always test that theory," said Cadance with wicked grin.

"Not necessary mother. Shadow has enough problems to deal with now and we don't need you adding to the list" chided Flurry.

"Oh, Floopy Dear... I was just having a bit of fun..." said Cadance with a pouty facade while taking note that her daughter had said "we don't."

"MOM!" shouted Flurry her cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

Shadow release a loud snicker at Flurry's reaction to the nick name.

"It not funny Shadow..."

"I am never going to forget this moment," whispered Shadow with a smile.

"If this gets out you are going to wish you stayed on the astral plane," growled Flurry.

Shadow just laughed all the harder at Flurry's discomfort.

"Ahem" replied Cadance clearing her throat. "On a more serious note are you two prepared for the alterations this little tryst may cause."

"Whatever happens, happens Mother! We will not discuss this matter any further."

"Fine... Fine. Before I drop the matter, I just want you to know your choices always have repercussions no matter how small they may seem. The first one being your father. He doesn't have my powers of love so he will be less forgiving of Shadow."

No sooner had the words left her mouth when the familiar voice of Shining Armor responded from behind. "What about me?" The Captain of the Royal Guard stepped back into the room. All eyes focused on Shining. The white stallion looked at all the weird looks as his gaze fell onto the young couple in bed. It took several seconds before the scene registered with Shining but when it did his demeanor darkened.

"Why is this son of a stinking knave in bed with Flurry? Did he defile her?" said Shining with voice as tempered as forged iron.

"Shining, honey you need to calm down and follow me."

"Not happening Mi Amore Cadenza... You can't sweet talk me down this time," growled Shining.

The alicorn of love flinched at her husband's use of her full name.

"This has nothing to do with your father. My life is my own to live," replied Flurry Heart.

"Be silent Flurry Heart!" replied Shining with a glare.

"Flurry is right! Our affairs have nothing to do with you," stated Shadow.

Shining affixed his stare to the lite blue unicorn. "You have no right to speak scum. I let you stay in my home unaccosted and you repay me by throwing my hospitality back into my face by defiling my daughter. I find you guilty of crimes against the Crystal Empire and under the laws of Equestria, written by Princess Celestia I charge you with treason. You are hereby under arrest."

Shadow felt the stirrings of emotion as purple fire appeared in his eyes. "Frack Me! This isn't going to end well..." thought Shadow.

"Unaccosted, hah okay... whatever you have to say to make yourself feel better. For the record I am not a citizen of Equestria nor am I native to your dimension. Oh, and your precious Celestia is a stuck-up prude and if her laws are just as biased as she is then you and that bitch of a princess can go and frack yourselves," scoffed Shadow returning the glare.

"GUARDS!" shouted Shining.

"I am warning you right now, you don't want to push me further and make things worse," responded Shadow the tone of his voice taking on an ethereal quality.

"Threatening royalty? You will regret your actions. The time for talk is over either come quietly or I will use force."

"You really want to go there?" replied Shadow with his eerie monotone voice.

"I do."

"If Celestia couldn't beat me what makes you think you have a chance?" challenged Shadow.

"There is only one way to find out."

"I gave you a fair warning... You will only have yourself to blame with all the deaths!" stated Shadow.

The air in the room grew stifling as the oxygen was consumed, giving life to the flame of Shadow's nightmare form.

"Shadow..."

"Don't worry Flurry I am currently in control..."

Flurry, feeding off Shadow's aura felt her own changes happen, due to her father’s unreasonable actions. The static in the air crackled with yellow lightning as Flurry felt herself begin to grow with her own nightmare transformation.

"Mother! Get him out of here before it we do something we cannot repair," stated Flurry, her expression contorting in pain.

The sound of cracking bones and flesh grated on Candance's ears as she watched in abject horror as her baby began to change and enlarge right in front of her.

"M... O...M... NOW!" roared Flurry one last time.

Afraid, Cadance nodded with understanding, used her alicorn magic, whisking Shining armor to another part of the empire. "Done... now please calm yourselves."

Shadow slowly drew in a few deep breaths, finding his inner harmony while Flurry Heart struggled to calm, he transformation. Shrinking down to his normal size Shadow focused his astral essence on Flurry, relieving her of the nightmare rage.

"Thank you..." said Flurry her voice barely audible.

"Anytime..." Shadow started to respond but was interrupted as glowing chains appear looping around him and shackling him in place.

"Shadow!" shouted Flurry Heart trying to assist her companion but was hindered by her own set of matching chains. Flurry glanced to Cadance. The older alicorn's eyes were closed, her aura glowing brightly as her spell finished. "Mother what is the meaning of this?" growled Flurry, glowering.

"The astral bonding you two shared just now is to dangerous and unpredictable. Until you can control your magical flare ups you and Shadow must be separated and until I can settle matters with your father you will be contained to your room while Shadow spends sometime in the dungeon with the other one. This is the only compensation that I can grant you both while Shining is being this hardheaded."

"Hardheaded? Cadance your ASS of a husband was trying to kill me... My nightmare transformation is a self-defense mechanism that I can't always turn off... Shining stepped out of line not Flurry and I."

"I know... but as a wife and a lover I must see things from my spouse's point of view as well. From his perspective you two were in the wrong... That is why I am giving you both the least punishment that I can..."

“Magic binding chain's mother? You know they don't hold for long," scoffed Flurry, lightning crackling in her eyes.

Candance gave her daughter a sorrowful expression. "I know honey and with your magic amplified by Shadow, I doubt they will last much longer. They are only a precaution so that the guards may escort Shadow to the dungeon."

"That isn't right, and you know it" shouted Flurry through tear-stricken eyes.

"Out of site out of mind and with Shadow contained your father will settle down so I can talk to him about your unique relationship with Shadow."

"NOOOOOOOOO!"

"FLURRY HEART!" said Shadow calmly.

The crying alicorn gazed into Shadow's eyes. "But... but..."

"It will be alright... Cadance knows what she is doing. I trust her so have faith in your mother."

Flurry silently nodded.

"Guards!"

Several golden amor clad ponies entered the room.

"Please escort our guest to the dungeons and be gentle about it... If I hear otherwise you will not have a good day."

Candance gave her daughter a tear-filled nod of her own, closing the doors and sealing Flurry in the room behind her with alicorn magic.

"I WILL REMEMBER THIS BETRAYAL ALWAYS!" roared Flurry.