• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Snowed In... Revelations! Part 1

Author's Note:

It is time for DisneyFanatic23's original characters Twinkle Sparkle and Zany to step up to the plate I hope I do them justice to their established lore on this website šŸ˜„

Ps I know I said I wouldn't rehash my short stories in the main one but it was relevant here so I skimmed the key points here. Please go check them out if you haven't already. As always please enjoy.

Crystal Empire, Alternate Future

Twinkle Sparkle leaned into Zany for comfort as they sat beside the resting form of Flurry Heart.

"Physically Flurry is healed but... I am worried that she may not wake up," said Twinkle choking back a sob.

"Hey, donā€™t worry Twinkle Toes. We can never be so lucky for her to stay unconscious. In no time Flutter Nutter will be back to her old annoying self," said Zany with an impish smirk.

"Be nice," replied Twinkle with a quiet laugh as she gently tapped her boyfriend on the head.

"That was me being nice," said Zany with faux sadness.

Twinkle slowly shook her head from left to right at his childlike antics. "I love you Zany."

The half-draconoquus paused dramatically feigning surprise. "What? ... When did you have these feelings. I don't know how to reply." Zany raised his right hoof to his forehead leaning back. "What am I to do."

"Come on be serious for once in your life," chided Twinkle.

"Alright you win... So, what brought this on suddenly? This is by far the least romantic spot for making out."

"I don't know... but I have a feeling that the destruction we witnessed last week is only the beginning... and I wanted to make sure no matter how bad things may get; I have your back."

"Don't worry Twinkle Toes. We have been through much worse than this. I am sure a few unconscious ponies and a destroyed city block don't foretell the end of the world."

"That isn't what has me worried..."

"Don't keep me in suspense, do telllllll," said Zany adding emphasis on his L sound.

"Do you remember the journal we found with Shadow?"

You mean the one that you were writing to your mother in a different time?"

"Correct."

What about it Twinkle Toes?"

"I have been helping past Twilight with research on Grishadria."

"Never heard the name before," stated Zany.

"Unless you read ancient lore older than Celestia and Luna I doubt many ponies do. The data I have collected terrifies me beyond the capacity for rational thinking."

"I can't believe I am about to say this... but take a deep breath and tell me about... that name."

"Grishadria is an entity that dwells on the edge of time and space. Our ancestors of old feared her and worshiped her as a goddess. Every ten years when the planets aligned with the moon, she would cross the barriers of existence and consume the souls of the living. This massive scale of consumption caused an imbalance in the universe. Every time she fed; life had a harder time returning. On one such occasion Arch Mage Garran Silverhoof the elder of the current civilization confronted Grishadria and permanently banished her from our reality."

"If the old lady can't return then what is there to worry about? " asked Zany with a shrug.

"It gets much worse than that. After the fall of Garran's empire, a cult of ponies believed that pony kind was too sick to exist and started doing ritual sacrifices to Grishadria. Later, scholars uncovered an old spell book that could summon the Demon Grishadria. The spell required a fresh sacrifice as well as a living host," said Twinkle with a quiet voice that sent shivers up Zany's spine.

"Is that it?" replied Zany swallowing.

"That is everything I was able to learn from the library here. Twilight and Starswirl have filled in most of the important details."

"So how is all of that relevant to what happened in the city last week Twinkle Toes?"

"Not much..."

"I sense a but" replied Zany.

"Starswirl the Bearded came across that spell book during his travels. Not wanting to destroy a precious artifact he stored it away."

"Typical crazy wizard," chided Zany.

Ignoring the half-breed Twinkle continued. "Everything was fine for a time until Starswirl's friend Stella..."

"I am guessing Stella is the key to all of this."

"Not quite my love."

"Ugh! Will you stop talking in riddles and get to the point already," groaned Zany.

"Stella became the living host and killed her husband in cold blood. When Starswirl found her, it was too late. Stella had gone completely insane and was consumed by the demon but that isn't the only key factor. Starswirl rescued and raised Stella's daughter, Eventide."

"Oh, goody another name that I don't care about," scoffed Zany.

"You should... Eventide gave birth to a set of twins. Shadow and Trixie Lulamoon," replied Twinkle with a serious expression.

"Wait isn't Trixie's mother Queen Crysalis of the changelings?"

"In our dimension yes... but as far as fate is concerned Trixie is Trixie no matter the mother, upbringing or dimension."

"I still don't understand how this relates to the devastation in the city."

"If you would stop interrupting me then you will," chided Twinkle.

"Fine continue your highness!"

"One-night Eventide and the twins vanished without a trace. Starswirl knows more but he said it is irrelevant. All that matters is that Stella and Eventide were gifted unicorns and astral manipulation is a natural talent that runs in their bloodline. Shadow has inherited this raw ability as well. Past Twilight witnessed Shadow transforming into a Nightmare. Down in the city I believe we caught the tail end of this transformation. The flow of astral essence that he used to keep Flurry and the other two ponies alive is called astral healing."

"Wow even my dad has trouble with astral manipulation" said Zany with a whistle.

"That isn't the end of the story."

Zany's jaw dropped like a cartoon. "Twinkle tell me your joking!"

"Sorry... this isn't a joke and it gets worse. When Starswirl founded the Six Pillars of Equestria they confronted Stella who had been perverted and mutated by Grishadria. During the final confrontation Starswirl had a change of heart and sealed Stella away in an obsidian glass spider. Somehow the spider ended up in the human world... which we already knew about from Shadow's story. I was helping past Twilight by studying the broken pieces of the spider."

"I remember those pointy Tartarus forsaken shards. I had one stuck to my butt... and by Celestia's beard did it hurt when I pulled it out."

"Zany, sweety that is too much information."

"Really... the bookworm who just spewed a mountain of words is complaining to me about too much information... sheesh."

"When it comes to your posterior, it is too much information."

"I thought you liked my posterior," pouted Zany.

"Usually... I do," replied Twinkle her cheeks turning flush.

Smiling at his tiny victory Zany surprised his girlfriend by leaning in and kissing her. The young alicorn blushing even more, closed her eyes and passionately returned the kiss.

********************

Shining Armor and Cadance entered the castle's medical wing to check on Flurry Heart. When the royal couple entered their daughter's room they were treated to a shocking scene. Zany the son of Discord, groping their niece Twinkle Sparkle.

"Ahem! There will be no more inappropriate conduct with my niece!" said Shining Armor, glaring at Zany.

"You weren't supposed to see that," replies the half-breed with a mischievous smile.

"Zany... don't antagonize my uncle... or I will never hear the end of it from my mom," growled Twinkle.

Candance quickly quelled the tension in the room.

"What happened in the city?" asked Cadance as her gaze fell upon Zany.

"why is it when something gets destroyed, I am always the first to get blamed?" said Zany, offended.

"Usually when something blows up you always seem to be somehow connected to it," replied Twinkle, trying not to sound condescending.

"Fair enough!" said Zany nonchalantly.

"THIS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER... FLURRY HEART WAS INJURED OUT THERE," roared the overprotective father.

Gently, Cadance placed her left hoof on her husband's shoulder. "Calm down my love. Zany uses humor to express his grief. He means no harm."

"If the little knave doesn't mean any harm then explain what he was doing to our niece," muttered Shining Armor reaching for a reason to throttle Zany.

"An intimate relationship by two consenting adults. Though I do suggest that our niece shows a bit of restraint so that her mother doesn't have a panic attack about becoming a grandmother at a young age."

"What if it was Flurry Heart?" asked Shining glaring at his wife.

"I never really thought about that. I suppose I would have the same understanding that I do now. Though she may be implosive I don't believe Flurry would jump into anything obscene."

"Yea... right..." muttered Shining Armor.

Twinkle blushed from embarrassment at her aunt's words. "Don't worry Aunt Cadance I will be more careful in the future."

"Good! Now can somepony please tell us why our daughter and three other ponies, one of which is an unknown alicorn, were brought to my castle in a near death state?"

"I'm sorry Aunt Cadance all we know is that Flurry went on a date with Shadow. Hours later we saw the royal signal spell for help and noticed the city was burning. When we reached Flurry, they were all unconscious."

"Come on Twinkle Toes we should leave so that they can be alone with Flurry."

Twinkle nodded in agreement.

When the young couple were in the hallway and out of earshot Zany spoke up. "I really am a bad influence. Why would did you lie to your aunt about what we saw?"

"I didn't lie... I just omitted out some details."

"Why though?"

"Time is already unstable and we can't afford to allow anypony else to find out."

"What about the unknown unicorn and alicorn?" asked Zany.

"I have a theory about that..."

"You lost me at theory... That is a discussion for another time," groaned Zany interrupting Twinkle.

********************

Astral Plane

Shadow groan as he slowly opened his eyes. "The astral plane again... Why do I keep waking up here?"

The unicorn's head spun as a wave of nausea washed over him. Shadow closed his eyes for several minutes until he didn't feel like passing out. Upon opening his eyes, a tangled red ball of ethereal thread floated in front of him. Shadow stared in wonder at the display. Last time the stallion the threads had been straight and smooth. "I wonder what would cause it to be so knotted?" The unicorn slowly reached out towards the ball and was quite surprised that he was able to touch it. Ever so gently Shadow began to untie the massive ball.

Starting with one of the two crimson strands first, Shadow's eyes turned a milky white as Sunset Shimmer's memories and the emotions attached to them flooded his mind. The memories were of his time with Sunset. Every one of them filled Shadow with joy and wonder as he saw and felt his and Sunset's interactions from her perspective. Finally, that dreaded moment arrived where she broke his heart. Shadow choked back a sob that was trying to break free. "I need to know why she did what she did. For as long as I have known Sunshim she has never said or done anything without a reason."

The unicorn pushed onwards as he watched the fight from Sunset's point of view. Shadow heard his own words of "I love you," echo in his head. A wave of fear washed over him as the memory of dying and being lost in total blackness crept in. Then there was his voice acting as a beacon of light in the darkness. Shadow woke to see himself smiling back. Then the memory flashed white as a blinding haze filled Shadow's vision. A pair of voices were mumbling in the background. One he recognized as Twilight Sparkle the other, he had never heard before. The words "Unable to have any children" caused Shadow's heart to tighten in his chest as he lived Sunset's pain and anguish.

The scene changed back to the fight as the words "I am broken", "you deserve better,ā€ and "I can't give you a future," left his mouth. Seeing the expression on his own face through Sunset's eyes pushed Shadow over the edge. Tears cascaded from his eyes as they drenched the stars with sadness and longing.

"This whole time I thought she didn't care but... I never took the time to see her point of view."

Unbeknownst to Shadow the first crimson thread began to unravel on its own.

********************

The second crimson strand was just as emotionally draining. This one belonged to Flurry Heart. Shadow felt the alicorn's frustration at being treated as a child as well as an object to be used in the political games of her parents and Princess Celestia. A memory of Flurry's mother Cadance came to the forefront of Shadow's mind.

"Mother I refuse! I can't be what you want me to be!"

"Floopy dear you don't really have a choice you were born an alicorn princess of Equestria."

Shadow was filled with frustration that Cadance didn't understand Flurry's point of view.

"That is not true mother being an alicorn princess doesn't matter. Past actions speak louder than titles and I refuse to accept your finalities as truth. And stop calling me floopy dear! I am not a foal anymore mother."

Anger overflowed him as Shadow raised his voice at Cadance."

"Fine Flo....Letā€™s just hope your cousin's visit will help you improve." At this last part Shadow was overcome with guilt as Cadance dropped her head in defeat.

"I can kind of see where Flurry is coming from but... she still comes off as a spoiled princess. Why does she fight her mother over something so trivial?"

The unicorn's thoughts were answered as the next memory appeared. This vision showed Flurry's cousin Twinkle walking beside him.

"Listen Twinkle I will tell you the same as my mother! I refuse to sit on the throne!"

"Flurry you are an alicorn princess you were meant to rule the Crystal Empire."

"It doesn't matter I will not resign myself to that fate. Born an alicorn or not I am not a ruler and nor will I subjugate myself to the princess coronation."

"But that is the final step for an alicorn."

Of all the ponies in Equestria Shadow wondered why Twinkle wasn't siding with him.

"Is it really Twinkle."

"Yes, flurry it is."

"I bet aunt Twilee would say otherwise!"

"What does my mother have to do with this?"

"She gave up a life of immortality to be with Your father Flash Century."

"So, what flurry!"

"Think Twinkle you're supposed to be the smart one here!"

"I don't understand Flurry your mother is an alicorn princess and married to Uncle Shining Armor. What is the difference?"

"The difference dear cousin is as plain as day and night."

"Obviously not or I wouldn't be having this conversation with you."

Shadow was frustrated by Twinkles loss of understanding.

"Fine I will explain it so that your feeble mind can understand. My mother cadence had already undergone the final princess coronation before she married my father. Just like Celestia and Luna my mother will live for a long time if she so chooses. My father isn't so lucky eventually the tides of fate will separate my parents. Mom will live on while dad will not. Aunt Twilee refused the final princess coronation and then married your father. Now do you see the difference?"

"Wait so aunt Cadance will live on while both of my parents and uncle shining pass on?"

"That's right Twinkle!"

"I understand that part but what does this have to do with you flurry?"

"I had this same conversation with your mom when I was your age."

"You're not much older than me you drama queen."

"You may be right."

"Just get to the point Flurry!"

"It is better to live a single life with the ones you love than it is to live a thousand lifetimes alone. That is what aunt Twilee said to me at that time."

Shadow was filled with a mild giddiness as he watched Twinkle think about the words Flurry had just spoken.

"Would you do the final princess coronation if you had an immortal partner?"

"Are you going to give me Zany if I do?"

Shadow felt his lips turn up in a smile at twinkle's expression.

"Not for a thousand lifetimes he belongs to me."

"I am just kidding Twinkle. Even if I was presented with an immortal suitor, I wouldn't become an immortal."

"Fine cousin if you're not going to take over the throne then what will you do?"

Twinkle's expression turned to one of sadness but with a hint of curiosity in her eyes.

"Live my life to the fullest, help where I can and leave the rest to fate!"

"Flurry you would leave me alone?"

"Listen little dream walker even after my physical form vanishes, I will always be with you, besides you have Squiggles."

Shadow felt another round of tears as her watched Twinkle's pained expression. When Shadow, as Flurry gently nuzzled the smaller alicorn the damn broke once again as little droplets pattered, causing tiny ripples in the void.

"So, this what she meant... I can't fault her for being selfish in this instance... I would rather die than live forever without the ones I loved."

Shadow thought about Sunset and how much he still loved her despite everything that happened.

"I would choose Sunshim over immortality."

The stallion couldn't help but admire Flurry's resolve even in the face of pain and anguish.

"Flurry sticks to her chosen path even when her heart is torn in half... Is it possible to love two different girls at the same time?" Shadow asked himself as he felt his bond with Flurry strengthen with each new breath.

"Is this what she meant by; the crimson thread represents your soulmate?"

The second thread untangles.

********************

The third and fourth threads were not as vibrant as the two crimsons strands but still stood over the rest. The two threads were entwined with each other spiraled together like a peppermint candy cane. Hesitant of the spiraled pair Shadow thought to himself "Am I ready for this?" Ever so slowly the unicorn reached out and touched the conjoined threads. Unlike the previous memories these visions were hazy and distorted. Shadow could make out what looked like a human woman with dark purple skin and short light blue hair with fuchsia highlights. In this memory Shadow was looking up at the woman and wondered whose memory this could be. Shadow was shocked when he heard his voice, that of a little girl.

"Aunty please tell us about mommy."

"Which one my darling?" asked the aunt.

Shadow couldn't quite place the aunt but for some reason the woman reminded him of someone.

"What is the point Aubree... there is nothing she can say or do that will bring them back!" said a human girl who was the same dark violet with prismatic hair as the unicorn called Ira.

"Thatā€™s not true Ira... they may still come back... They love us, right?... So, they just have to come back..." Shadow felt the biting sting of loneliness and longing as Aurora Breeze's words exited his mouth.

"YOU DOOFUS THEY ARE DEAD... NO AMOUNT OF HOPE CAN BRING PEAOPLE BACK FROM THE DEAD!" screamed Iridescent Dusk with tear-stricken eyes.

"Ira why do you have to be so cruel... you miss them just as much as me... if anyone here is the doofus it's you for keeping your feeling all bottled up."

"Grrr... Why am I stuck with a weakling like you for a sister?" growled Ira.

"If anyone is stuck it's me, with a bully like you!" shouted Shadow with Aubree's voice.

Shadow felt the intense pain of hair being uprooted from his scalp and the arguing turned to fighting and finally to hair pulling.

"Girls that is quite enough. As sisters you should not mistreat each other like that. One day when I am gone you two will only have each other to lean on in times of need. Neither one of you is a doofus and both oh so very special," said the aunt with a stern yet gentle voice and a sad expression.

"She has known loss but who or what? Is it the mothers or someone else?" wondered Shadow.

The image turned to a hazy misty, replaced by another. This time though Shadow was staring at a baby version of Aubree who still had her bright yellow skin with dark blue hair steaked with silver highlights. The aunt remained the same except for being a bit younger in age. "This must be Ira's memory," thought Shadow.

Shadow as Ira looked to the baby and then to the aunt, feeling sad and empty inside. Shadow felt this same pain during his father's funeral. The aunt picked up on the young girlsā€™ woes from her troubled expression.

"Iridescent, honey what's wrong?"

"Mommy is dead and never coming back... isn't she?"

"I am not sure sweety... All I know is they love you very much and if... the matter they left to attend to wasn't so important they wouldn't have left you and Aubree in my care."

"I don't care about that other woman I just want my mommy."

"I know sweety. At least you have me and Aurora."

"Thatā€™s not enough!" pouted Ira.

"What you don't love us?" asked the aunt, pouty in return.

"I love you Aunty but not Aubree."

"Why is that honey?"

"All she does is puke, poop and cry. Do you think I can trade her away for my mommy?" said Shadow as Ira, scowling at the aunt.

"Ira she is just a baby that's what they do and no you can't trade your sister away. She is to special to just give away and so are you. I know what will make you feel better."

""What is that Aunty?"

Would you like to hear a little secret about Aubree?"

"I guess so..."

"Aubree loves you Ira."

"How can you tell? She just lays their drooling like a useless slime."

"Look carefully honey."

Shadow looked up at the aunt and then down at the baby wondering just like Ira what the frack this crazy woman was talking about. The Aunts smiling face betrayed no other emotion except for joy as she gazed at the infant. Intrigued Iridescent glanced down at her sister.

"Right there do you see it?" said the enthusiastic aunt.

Shadow and Ira must have a similar mind set because they were both thinking, "this lady is completely mental."

"No, I don't see it Aunty," replied Ira with a frustrated sigh.

"There she goes again."

"Oh, she went again," replied shadow as Ira, plugging her nose.

"So, it seems... but that wasn't what I was referring to. Do you see that smile?"

Ira glanced down one more time. The young girls gaze lingered on the smile for a moment and then settled on the infant's sapphire blue eyes. Aubree cooed, smiling up at Ira who in turn smiled back. Shadow felt not only Ira's feelings of love for her sister, but a deeper connection that bled into his core.

"You see Ira that smile is her way of saying that she loves you now and forever."

Shadow as Ira beamed with pride and joy because for the first time in her life, she knew she wasn't alone.

Like before the memory turned to mist and lingered as such for what seemed like hours. Just as Shadow thought "I can't handle any more of this," another memory phased in. Iridescent Dusk stood in front of Shadow this time though she was about the same age as he was give or take a year or so and dressed in tight fitting jeans with ripped knees and tight fitting black tee-shirt that depicted a knife stabbing a bleeding heart. The shirt was not long enough to cover her navel and it fit skin to her upper body, leaving nothing to the imagination. Shadow was surprised but not surprised, at the same time. "And I'm the emo one... please... Ira takes emo to a whole new level. At least she is covered up with that black leather jacket.ā€ Shadow couldn't help but stare at the young woman as something eerily familiar reminded him of someone he knew but couldn't picture them do to being overwhelmed by the flood of emotions. Shadow released his gaze from Ira before heading to an object he recognized... the mirror portal at Canterlot High. The same one he and Sunset passed through to get to Equestria.

"This must be Aubrees's memory again," thought Shadow.

True to his thoughts, a voice called out from behind "Aubree we need to talk about your inappropriate actions with that boy."

"Oh, come on Aunty right now? ... You know Aunt Twilight is waiting for me on the other side."

"Don't worry Aubree I will be sure to let Twilight know that you have been a bad little slut," replied Ira with a wicked smirk.

"Your just jealous I had someone to love... and besides your one to talk emo girl. Your choice of fashion just screams hooker," sneered Aubree.

"Love! Hahahaha! That Snart for brains doesn't love you he is just using you to get into..."

"ENOUGH BOTH OF YOU! I DON'T HAVE TO LET YOU GO TO EQUESTRIA!" shouted the aunt.

"Don't threaten me with a good time. I don't really care for studying unicorn magic let alone the magic of friendship," replied Ira unphased at her aunt's threat.

"That's not the reason at all and you know it Ira," said Aubree with a smirk of her own.

"Fine doooo tell oh great and wise Aurora."

"Youā€™re just pissed because you can't go completely invisible there and ponies know you unlike here where no one cares to notice you."

"Thatā€™s the way I prefer it," said Iridescent Dusk shrugging her shoulders.

"Plus, your kitten is.... muhphph...."

"If you open your mouth again Aubree, I will bury you," growled Ira, seething with wrath while placing her right hand over Aubreeā€™s mouth.

"Fine... fine... I won't let Aunty know that you have a heart," said Aubree shoving her sister away.

"Aurora Breeze focus please. Now about that boy," said the stern aunt.

"Really Aunty... you should worry about finding someone for yourself and getting laid, then obsessing over my love life," scoffed Aubree.

Shadow felt a stab of guilt as the words left his mouth. Looking at the Aunt's expression would haunt Shadow for eternity. The aunt's expression went from anger to sadness as a memory she wanted to forget resurfaced. Finally, after several minutes she spoke choking back a sob "there was someone once... I loved him more than anything... I wouldn't have traded him for a thousand lifetimes... and yet... he sacrificed himself to save all of us..." Aubree's aunt was unable to finish as tears trickled down her cheeks.

"You, Snart for brains," muttered Ira.

Shadow as Aurora felt Iridescent's strong grasp as he was shoved through the portal.

"Don't worry I will talk to her... I will see you Sunday night" said Ira with a sorrowful look before walking into the portal.

********************

Shadow as Aubree came out of the mirror like a bullet, crashing into a nearby bookshelf and buried under an avalanche of books. Ira followed shortly after though her landing was a little less messy.

"Ira that was uncalled for," growled the yellow alicorn.

"No... Aubree what you said to Aunty that was uncalled for."

Shadow felt his ears droop at the unicorn's harsh words.

"Well the damage has been done there is no sense dwelling on it. If you apologize to her I won't have to kill you," chided Ira.

Shadow as Aubree looked up, recognizing Iridescent from their first encounter. A dark violet unicorn with prismatic hair and tail with aqua colored eyes.

"Is that you that I hear bickering girls?" Aubree turned to the sound of a voice Shadow knew all too well "Twilight."

"That's Aunt Twilight Miss Breeze."

"Sorry Aunty."

"Forgive and forget thatā€™s what your mothers always said. Anyway, what took so long?"

Ira remained silent as she winced for the mention of the two missing women.

"Well you see..." said Aubree sheepishly.

"Aunty was just being super clingy this tonight night... reminiscing about the past," said Ira cutting in.

"Remind me to give her a good talking to later. For now, though I have something important to show you," said Twilight.

"Not more fracking friendship is magic lessons," groaned Ira.

"You definitely inherited that temper," muttered Twilight.

"Just tell me what you have to have to show us."

"This!" answered Twilight levitating an old scroll in front of her nieces.

"Oh, look Aubree more dusty paper."

Aubree just giggled at her sister's lack of enthusiasm.

Twilight opened the parchment for all to see as the words began to glow as if alive.

"I knew it... the scroll is reacting to you two," cheered Twilight.

Shadow as Aubree glanced down and the moment, he read the words, he knew that what was etched on the scroll was important.

LIFE is the chaos thatā€™s tests us and never ends,

RESOLVE we must stand as the mountains defy the winds,

CAUSALITY is the outcome of our choice as we live,

COMPASSION allows for understanding so that we may forgive,

POSSIBILITY brings us hope so that we may dream,

HARMONY balances all like a never-ending stream.

Song of Fate