• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Snowed In... Revelations! Part 3

Author's Note:

Due to work and time constraints snowed in revelations will be broken into several small chapters.

Astral Plane

The vastness of space where stars exist, millions of tiny motes revealing their brilliance in a place where light is scarce. Flurry Heart detached from her mortal body floated in the void. Trapped within her own mind the alicorn reflected upon her past conversations and actions that led her to this point.

The conversation with Cadance about not wanting the throne. Mother I will not take the throne. Being born an alicorn doesn't make you a leader.

Flurry's interactions with Twinkle about the future. I will not undergo the final princess coronation. I would rather live a single life with the ones I love than live an immortal life. I will always be with you even after I am gone.

Troubled by her repeating thoughts Flurry began to doubt her chosen path.

"Is this the right choice? Maybe I should have chosen the throne. Should I have put the needs of the kingdom and its subjects above my own? Maybe Shadow is right I am just a spoiled princess. If I remain here unattached from my body... I can just fade away. My selfish ambitions won't hurt anyone ever again..."

Flurry all but faded, heard a familiar voice.

"What's wrong princess? That isn't like you to just give up. Where is the strong-willed Flurry that sticks by her choices?"

"Shadow?"

"The great and powerful," replied Shadow.

Flurry slowly opened her eyes her gaze never leaving the stallion's smiling face.

"Why are you here?"

"Not to throw you a pity party that's for sure," replied the unicorn with a gentle smile.

Crestfallen, Flurry Heart turned her head away mumbling. "Just left me fade away... The ponies of Equestria deserve a better leader... The world is better off without my selfish desires."

"Who cares if others are upset about your desires for a life of your choosing? If the inhabitants of Equestria can't accept your choices, then to hell with them. Your life is your own to decide the outcome not anyone else's," said Shadow.

"I choose to fade away..."

"That is one desire you can't choose!"

Flurry Heart's astral form had almost completely vanished and it took the remaining energy she had left to speak "why can't I?"

Shadow chose his words carefully as he spoke "does it matter?"

For a brief instant a dark glint filled with sadness appeared in Flurry Heart's eyes. That was all the answer Shadow needed. The stallion inhaled, releasing a deep sigh. "I am a selfish person... I refuse to let you just simply fade away... I need you Flurry Heart... after all that I have seen, I know you better than anyone... and I can't see myself living without you in my life... Right now, my selfishness trumps yours, so just shut up and stop wasting essence."

Flurry Heart slowly shut her eyes, drifting into nothingness...

Tears streaming down his cheeks, the stallion willed his magic forward. With every ounce of astral essence, he could muster Shadow sacrificed himself to Flurry Heart...

*******************

Alternate Future, Crystal Empire, Castle Medical Wing

Outside the snowstorm raged on, no end in sight. On the other side of a frozen window dim candlelight danced eerily on the walls casting long shows across the walls. With the sky covered by the storm nopony new exactly if it was night or day. within the confines of the small space Twinkle Sparkle sat next to Flurry Heart, watching her cousin's still form, and praying for a sign. The violet alicorn surprised, jumped out of her seat when Flurry spoke "just let me fade away... Shadow..."

Twinkle looked on in horror as the luster in Flurry Heart's mane and tail turned pale and dull. With a final choking breath Flurry stopped moving...

Twinkle released a blood curdling scream NOOOOOOOO! Flurry HEART!"

Zany woke from his nap, falling out of his chair with a loud crash. The half-draconequus righted himself as he looked at his dead friend. Not one for crying Zany was unable to stop the flood escaping his eyes. Before he could speak the door to the room flew open. Cadance followed by Shining Armor entered the room when Twinkle's scream echoed through the castle. Engulfed with anguish Cadance threw herself to her daughter's lifeless body, her chest heaved with sobs. Shining embraced his wife joining her in sorrow.

********************

Astral Plane

The silver thread connecting Flurry Heart to her physical body snapped and vanished. Shadow tried to reattach it like he did with Sunset, but his motivational words hadn't reached her in time. Recreating the alicorn's silver thread was beyond Shadow's current knowledge and time he didn't have. Desperate to save Flurry, Shadow tethered her soul to his own silver thread.

"This will have to do until I can save her."

A feeling of knowing, rose from deep within his core. Shadow knew that he could do this. "I don't really have much of a choice."

The movement of time flows differently on the astral plane and was against Shadow all the same. The stallion felt the strain of maintaining a second soul as he used his essence to mend Flurry's silver link to the physical realm. Shadow paused for a brief second to glance at his companion. With each pulse of a star the alicorn's luster returned to her astral form. The stallion know that the fix was just temporary. Shadow knew that his and Flurry Heart's existence hinged on his gamble.

"She is worth the risk" thought Shadow.

After what felt like hours Shadow felt the fatigue. That's when a shift in his essence jolted him awake. Flurry opened her eyes.

"It's about time you woke up princess," chided Shadow refocusing on his work.

Flurry blinked away the haze.

"How am I still alive?"

"You're not quite alive..." replied Shadow.

Flurry opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by Shadow's harsh words.

"Now isn't the time for small talk princess. Follow that silver thread and convince them not to do anything to your corpse!"

What? I don't understand..."

"JUST GO BEFORE WE BOTH DIE!" growled Shadow.