• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Absolutes and Finalities!

Author's Note:

Hello to all of my readers I am happy to say here is the new chapter. Some readers have mentioned how dark things are getting 😄. I should say don't worry and things will get better but I won't you will just have to continue reading. I do have a plan for everything the pieces have already started to fall into place.

Wow I can't believe I am twelve chapters into an mlp fanfic.The chapter is longer than most of them but I had to fit it all into this one chapter to get to the desird ending.

The main story has now finally reached the point of where Starswirl tells those gathered about the new threat to Equestria. So please read my two short stories Stella's bleeding heart! and Threads and connections! to get a better understanding of what is going on. Going forward the main story will fill in most of the forshadowing I have placed in them. So as always author signing out and as usual please comment subscribe and enjoy. See you all in the Future!

Living creatures exist with limitations and finalities, either by nature or self-imposed. Beings with a higher capacity for knowledge are blessed or cursed depending on who you ask. These individuals have the ability to look beyond the binds of limitations and possibly even finalities. Fate gives and takes. Sometimes taking more than giving. Some causalities are created with the shattering of hopes and dreams. As long as a tiny fragment exists the impossible becomes possible. Fate creates anew an Iridescent Dusk.

********************

The sun was setting on the western horizon it's orange glow slowly diminishing and giving way for the Moon. The once blue sky was aglow with darkened orange hues.

"Magic hour," said Sunset as she watched the orange sphere drop below the mountains. The fiery maned unicorn paused just outside Twilight's crystal castle to gaze at the sky. Sunset's aqua colored eyes exuded a prism effect as the fading sunlight refracted across her watery pools. "For some reason the sunset's in Equestria pale in comparison to those in the human world but are still amazing." Sunset released a sigh as she was filled with nostalgia.

"Also known as dusk, the bewitching hour and lastly Twilight." Twilight chimed in with a whimsical smile.

"You had to go there huh Twi?" said Sunset smiling.

Twilight standing in front of her castle doors just smiled and winked at her friend.

Shadow remained silent, grinning from ear to ear as he watched Sunset.

"What?" asked Sunset glancing at her companion.

"Nothing..." said Shadow shrugging.

"Not nothing. Spill it Shady!"

"I was just thinking how cute you look when you're being all sappy and nerdy."

Sunset blushed at her friend’s words. Th... thanks..."

"Come on you two. There will be plenty of time later to break the sexual tension. Take a few minutes to compose yourselves. Then come in and join every pony else in the friendship map room," said Twilight with a mischievous smile.

********************

Twilight entered the conference with the sounds of familiar voices reverberating off the crystal walls.

"We need to know our enemy! Please fill us in Starswirl," said Princess Celestia using her regal voice.

"Celestia is right but I believe we should wait for Shadow Lulamoon and Sunset Shimmer," said Twilight.

"Ah Twilight I am glad you made it back," said Celestia.

"Thanks."

"So how was your trip?"

"Oh fine, fine... It was a bit intense... but nothing burned down or anything like that," said Twilight awkwardly rubbing the back of her head while avoiding Celestia's eyes.

"I see... So Is Sunset Shimmer with you?" asked Celestia holding her stern expression.

"I am here Princess Celestia," said Sunset entering the room followed by Shadow.

Celestia gave Sunset a warm smile as she embraced her former student in a loving embrace. While giving Shadow a scowl over Sunset's shoulder. Shadow scoffed at the alicorn's attitude and said, "if you have an issue with me YOUR HIGHNESS, tell me now otherwise leave the attitude at the door. I defeat..." An "Oomph!" sound exited the stallion's mouth as Sunset kicked him in the chest with her back right hoof.

"Ow," muttered Shadow.

While Sunset remained quiet her glare said, "You better stop or else."

"Ahem... Sorry Celestia I was a bit out of line," said Shadow.

"Princess," said Sunset chiding Shadow under her breath.

Shadow stared at his companion in defiance.

"Maybe we should let Starswirl speak. I have many questions about what he wrote in his journals regarding our current... issue," said Twilight breaking the tension and trying to avoid upsetting Shadow. The worried expression on Shadow's face said otherwise.

********************

Starswirl the Bearded gazed at everypony in the room, his eyes stopping on Shadow. "He is so much like Eventide it is uncanny. I must know how he came to be in this time and place. But first the meeting," thought Starswirl.

The ancient wizard spoke of the time he himself was a foal in the small town of Timber Falls. The only noise in the room was the sound of the flickering candles as their flames danced, casting an eerie yellow glow among those gathered. Every pony was entranced, Shadow most of all. Starswirl's re-telling struck a chord of familiarity with the young stallion. When the wizard reached the part about Eventide, Shadow grabbed his head reeling in pain "my... head." An echoing voice resounded in his mind dredging up broken images of something or someone. "Only you my little Shadow... only you..."

"Shadow what's wrong?" asked Sunset worriedly.

"I have a headache," said Shadow slowly rubbing his temples.

"Do you need a respite from the gathering?"

"I am alright Sunset! The pain seems to be subsiding," lied Shadow.

As Starswirl continued his tale Shadow's migraine worsened as he focused on the name Eventide. While concentrating the young stallion missed the part of the wizard's story about Eventide and her twins vanishing from the village. Distorted fuchsia colored images of a woman started to take shape only to disappear with the sudden interruption of Celestia. "So, if you were unable to save Stella and had to seal her away what other course of action do you suggest Starswirl?"

"I am sorry your majesty I don't know of a way to save those possessed. The best way to save them may be to just end the threat once and for all," replied Starswirl.

"So, you mean to kill Stella which in turn will likely kill Trixie as well!" shouted Shadow.

"If it comes to that then you’re correct my boy."

"Some all-powerful wizard you are!"

"I am sorry Shadow, but that is the way it has to be. Grishadria's rampage can no longer go unchecked."

"Demon or no demon I will protect my sister at all costs," replied Shadow seething with anger. Whirls of purple fire flickered in the stallion’s fuchsia eyes.

"Sacrificing Trixie and Stella to save countless lives! That isn't a plan that's just the easy way out. Don't you love Stella?" said Sunset sternly.

"DON'T YOU DARE LECTURE ME ON LOVE AND SACRIFICE YOUNG LADY! I HAVE KNOWN BOTH," shouted Starswirl.

"I will save Trixie!" replied Sunset unfazed by Starswirl's outburst.

The old wizard's expression softened a little towards Sunset. "Ah... To be young and fool of hope. I do miss the days of being ignorant to life. I am sorry my dear, but hope won't change the facts. The ones we love are gone. They ceased being themselves and are now Grishadria. Death is their only salvation."

"We won't let that happen," interjected Twilight with a reassuring expression.

Celestia glanced towards her former student. Twilight's face showed strength, but her eyes screamed "please do something before chaos breaks free." The ruler of the sun cleared her throat drawing the attention of everypony gathered. "It is getting late and tensions are on the rise. Let us postpone our strategies until tomorrow." All nodded in agreement and proceeded to exit the map room.

*******************

Starlight Glimmer led Shadow and sunset to the guest chambers on her side of the crystal castle.

"Wow that was... Some meeting," said Starlight trying to break the tension in the hallway.

"That's one way of putting it," replied Sunset.

"I really thought Shadow was going to go all nightmare and kill Starswirl."

"He was closer than you think Starlight, and I wasn't far behind."

"Woah! Sunset you can turn into a nightmare as well. When did this happen?" said Starlight with childlike excitement.

"Just recently," replied Sunset glancing towards Shadow, whom in turn shied away from the two mares.

"Please tell me everything and don't leave out any details."

Sunset looked towards Shadow seeking permission. Shadow shrugged his shoulders as if to say, "it's your call." Sunset taking the que, recounted her brief time as a nightmare and what she and Shadow discovered.

"Wow... That is amazing to think that Shadow's powers sync with yours to create the nightmare transformation. Sunset your existence brings new meaning to the words hot headed."

Sunset released a snort as she laughed at her friends joke.

The trio made their way down the hallway pausing at a set of ten-foot-tall oak doors. "Here we are. My room is just three doors down on the left. Sunset, you and Shadow may use any of these four rooms" said Starlight pointing to the two pairs of double doors on either side of the crystalline hall.

"Thanks Starlight."

With a nod of her head Starlight bid her friend a good night and left the couple to their thoughts.

"I guess this is where I say good night as well," said Shadow.

"It... doesn't have to be..." replied Sunset staring into his eyes.

Shadow returned the mare's gaze as he silently watched her body language. Sunset's facial expression turned into one of worry as she mistook his silence as rejection. "You don't have to if you don't want to..." said Sunset with a dejected "sigh!"

Shadow's expression softened as he gently nuzzled his companion. "Believe me Sunshim... I want to... I really want to... but is this what you want?"

"Yes... I don't want to be alone tonight."

Shadow gazed longingly into his companion's aqua eyes. The dim candlelight reflecting in her watery pools made Sunset more desirable. Shadow's knees buckled causing him to stumble. Sunset released soft giggle as she led Shadow through the double doors they were standing in front of.

********************

Shadow leaned in pressing his lips to hers. Sunset passionately returned the kiss. Slowly the couple made their way over to the large bed. shadow's tongue explored to the depths of Sunset's mouth, tasting something sweet like honey. The couple pulled apart for a few seconds to breath.

"Whoever said kissing tastes like lemon drops is wrong. It tasted like sweet honey," said Shadow.

"I would have to say it tastes more like cinnamon," replied Sunset, taking the lead this time.

Sunset entwined her legs around Shadow as he pressed back. Their equine bodies outlined in the soft glow of the moon's light, ungulate like ocean waves caressing the sand. The couple was entranced by each other, as they danced to a tune that only they could here. What started out as a gentle cuddle session turned into a night of burning passion as the young couple became one.

********************

Shadow in a deep sleep, was pulled to the astral plane, when a deep elderly voice called out to him.

"Shadow... Shadow... Shadow..."

The young stallion slowly opened his wearied eyes, glanced around at his surroundings. "How am I in this place?"

"I called you here," said a familiar voice.

"This can't be possible Sunset isn't even here," said Shadow turning to face the owner of the gruff elderly voice.

"You don't need your friend to be able to explore the astral plane. The ability to come and go as you please, is all you Shadow," said Starswirl.

"Didn't you just say you called me?"

"I did but you answered and came of your own volition. Astral manipulation runs in your family and if you are anything like Eventide... I can expect great and scary things from you."

"Why are you here wizard? Last time I saw you, you wanted to kill my sister."

"True, but I have had some time to think and if my little experiment works then there just may be a way to safely end this with minimal sacrifice. One cannot change causality without sacrificing something in return."

"Get to the point."

"You are just like her."

"Her... Her who?"

"Eventide," replied Starswirl with a sorrowful expression.

"Are you Sunset's mentor because you are not making any sense. Who is Eventide and what does she have to do with me?”

"She is your mother."

"Right... Did you hit your head on one of those stars? My mother is human and quite a bitch, and last time I checked she wasn't a pastel pony."

"Alight would you care to wager to see who is right, my boy?" said Starswirl with a wicked grin.

"Alright gramps, I will bite. What do I have to do?"

"Just concentrate on Eventide."

"I tried that during your long-winded lecture earlier. All I got in return was blurry images of something fuchsia and a bad migraine."

Starswirl never once mentioning Eventide's color just smiled at the young stallion. "My theory was correct the boy has latent vision abilities as well," thought Starswirl.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing... Nothing my boy just concentrate."

"Like I said... Ouch!" said Shadow as Starswirl smacked him on the head.

"This is the astral plane; you’re not hindered by your physical body at the moment."

Shadow gave the wizard a skeptical expression. "Fine... Fine."

Just close your eyes and listen to the sound of my voice, Shadow."

Reluctantly, Shadow followed the wizard's instructions. Lowering his voice to barely a whisper Starswirl began to describe Eventide. At first nothing seemed to happen, causing Shadow to grunt in frustration, but as the seconds passed Starswirl's words became background noise as distorted images appeared. The young stallion looked from one image to another and finally his gaze lingered on one. Drawn to the picture like a moth to a flame, Shadow cantered over to it.

Starlwirl watched intently as the young unicorn's eyes went from fuchsia to a milky white and then walk over to a nearby star. "Star visions," said the wizard with a smile.

The wizard began to chant softly. A blue glow emanated from his horn as the spell intensified until the chanting ceased. Starswirl watched as a thin red ethereal thread appeared from his horn and tethered itself to Shadow's horn. Connected by the red string of love Starswirl was able to see what Shadow saw.

"How ironic... this child is all that is left of Stella's legacy, her only salvation... my redemption."

Tears escaped the wizard's eyes splashing into the star filled void.

********************

The vision revealed a beautiful yet delicate woman with pale fuchsia skin. Her face was framed by long disheveled silver hair that had two blue streaks and two purple streaks that ran from the bangs, down her back. The woman's gentle smiled filled Shadow with joy and longing. Cradled in her arms was Trixie and Shadow as newborns. suddenly the right arm Trixie was nestled in faltered. The baby slipped out of her mother's grasp, but right before Trixie hit the floor a man appeared, catching the infant. Shadow recognized his father instantly. The young father held his daughter in his left arm while his right hand held his wife's hand. Seconds flew by as a doctor entered the hospital room. Shadow was unable to hear what was said, but from the expression on his father's face it wasn't good news. Eventide smiled at her husband and said, "everything will be alright." From his point of view Shadow new the woman was lying. Her sad sky-blue eyes revealed the truth. Shadow felt a tightening in his throat, as tears ran free shouted, "Mom!" The young stallion reached for the image as it faded to stardust.

Another image replacing the first, revealed Shadow's father staring at a gravestone.

Eventide, heart of gold loved by all.

Just as quickly as it appeared it vanished, as the third vision took its place. This vision depicted a fuchsia unicorn with all the features of her human self except for the cutie mark of a silver crescent moon hovering over and ocean wave. Eventide, dancing among the stars was attacked by the spider possessed Trixie. The image shifted to the young mare racing through her house trying to reach her children. The familiar scene of inky black tendrils played out. Shadow wanted to pull away but felt that this vision was somehow very important. He continued to watch. Just as Shadow and Trixie turned to astral essence Eventide whispered. "Only you my little Shadow... only you." The young mare ripped from her world by the tendrils vanished into the void.

********************

Shadow reared back, breathing heavily.

"Now everything makes sense," said Starswirl from behind, embracing the young stallion.

"How is any of this possible? How can my mother be a pony and a human?"

"Astral essence my boy."

"I don't understand."

"Think of astral essence as the blood of time. All living things exist in the flow of time and space. Right now, you and I are floating outside of that flow while in our astral forms. If I were to prick you right now you would leak astral essence."

"How does my mother and I fit into all of this?"

"I was just getting to that my boy... Within time there are spacial pockets which we refer to as dimensions. Your human world exists in one while Equestria exists in another. Just to keep things simple I won't go any further than that, because time is a beast all on its own. Your world runs parallel to Equestria. A better example would be folding a piece of paper in half and dripping ink on it. Now if you were to unfold the paper you will have two identical stains, referred to as two sides of the same coin."

"I understand parallel theory."

"Good then I can skip right to the next part," replied Starswirl.

Shadow nodded his agreement.

"In the physical realm there is a place holder representing you in every dimension as well as Eventide. In both dimensions she is your biological mother but in others this may not be the case. But as far as our example is concerned that doesn't really matter. Here in the astral plane biology is irrelevant. Astral essence just represents one entity no matter how many different physical manifestations there may be."

Shadow stared in confusion.

"Astral essence is the blood flow of time. Water is the blood flow of the physical realm. All living things are made up of mostly water with a pinch of astral essence. Without either you die. My Eventide is the parallel of you mother. In both worlds she gave birth to a Shadow. Since our worlds are two sides of the same coin. Human you and pony you are one in the same. This is also true for your sister and mother. Both Eventides are made up of the same astral essence. In that last vision the twins lost their physical bodies and became astral essence. Like all energy astral essence changes form to fit the needs of time. In this instance the astral essence of the pony twins merged with the essence of the human counterparts. So as far as time is concerned Eventide is your mother. I bet if the other Shadow was still alive your biology would be an almost identical match."

Shadow stared at the wizard, absorbing every word he said. For some strange reason Shadow understood.

"If my sister Trixie died in this dimension how was I talking to her not to long ago."

"I could never prove that she died, I assumed that was the case given the circumstances."

"Really?"

"That is correct believe it or not, it is all the same to me."

"humor me old man. Given me your best guess."

"Fine, fine. I will play your little game. After watching that scene where the foal twins vanished, I believe their essence was carried forward in time. Kind of like a forced reincarnation."

"That theory boarders on religious faith, not science. It doesn't even explain how pony Trixie would have a separate birth mother from Eventide."

"It could be as simple as an astral implantation."

"What?"

"The closest thing I can relate it to is a form of surrogacy."

"But trixie told me herself that her twin brother had died at birth."

"Maybe after implantation the surrogate carried the twins to full term and he died due to complications."

Shadow stared questioningly at the wizard.

Starswirl, ignored Shadow, saying, "That bit of knowledge isn't what is important. What you must know is that Stella used a forbidden spell, and transformed into the Spider Demon Grishadria over one thousand years ago. Before I and the other pillars sealed ourselves with the Pony of Shadows in a pocket dimension to save the world. We sealed the demon in that onyx spider. This happened shortly after I lost Eventide. I don't have all the details of what transpired during that time; just what has been told to me. Only just recently was I rescued by Twilight and her friends from that void."

"Who exactly are you Starswirl?" asked Shadow.

"I am just an old fool who did not realize what was important until it was too late... Whatever happens my boy never lose sight of what is important to you. Fight with everything you have."

********************

The morning sunlight peeked through the bedroom window casting its warm glow over the sleeping couple. Shadow woke up in a cold sweat, panicking until he remembered where he was. Staring down at the sleeping form of his lover Shadow gently wrapped his front legs around Sunset in a loving embrace. The unicorn's sudden movement startled Sunset awake.

"Shadow?" said the groggy mare.

"Hush my love go back to sleep," whispered Shadow.

Sunset's eyes shot open. "L... O...V... E!"

Unable to form words, Sunset panicked; fear and sadness overtaking her. Memories of the lost future flooded her mind. After several minutes of silence, the mare peered into Shadow's fuchsia eyes and lied.

"Shadow I am sorry... but last night was just sex. There was no meaning behind it... I was just lonely."

"That's a lie. I know that you feel the same way about me..."

Sunset closed herself off just like she did before she escaped through the mirror. "I don't know what to say Shadow. All that I wanted last night was sex with no strings attached."

"So, you just used me?" choked, Shadow. Shocked and betrayed, he stumbled out of bed.

"Yes."

The stallion stood glaring. Seething with rage Shadow turned his back to Sunset Shimmer, storming out of the room.

With Shadow gone Sunset was no longer able to hold back her emotions. "I am so sorry... It has to be this way... You deserve better than a broken woman."

Sunset's tears cascaded down her cheeks, soaking the sheets.

"Shadow I will always love you..."