• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 550 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 550

Uncertainty!

Author's Note:

Wow I can't believe how late it is but at least chapter 4 is done. I hope it is an enjoyable read. Please comment likes dislikes. Let me know how you like the storys progress so far and even what can I can do to improve.

Between last night's lack of sleep and Doctor Hooves's incessant ramblings Shadow dozed off. The young man's head hit the desk with a loud thump.

"Would you care to answer, Shady?" asked the teacher.

"What?... Huh?" came the drowsy response.

Shadow raised his head coming nose to nose with Twilight. Startled by the closeness the pair quickly pulled apart.

"What?" asked Shadow a second time.

The young man's gaze went from Twilight's worried expression, to her finger pointing at Mr. hooves, then towards the scowling face of their teacher.

"Would you please answer the question Mr Lulamoon?"

"Oh... right... Ahem! The law of parallel universes, states that for every universe that exists, there is another that runs side by side with it. Scientists believe for every universe that exists, there exists another version of oneself," said Shadow.

The class fell silent, all eyes on the new student.

"Wow he's intelligent," thought Twilight her cheeks flushing pink.

"That's correct! Fancy That! Though next time Shady, please refrain from noisy outbursts," said the once again smiling teacher.

Before Doctor Hooves could continue his lecture on Parallel theory the phone on his desk rang startling everyone.

"Mr. Hooves here... yes... alright... will... do."

"Shady... that was Vice Principal Luna you're needed in her office."

Shadow gave the eccentric teacher a quizzical look but when his gaze stopped on those intense eyes the young man knew something was wrong. "What did Trixie do now? That Snart for brains." The young man nodded towards the teacher as he exited the room.

********************

"Since I'm alone, I guess now is as good a time as any to write to Princess Twilight," thought Sunset sitting in the principal's office.

Celestia had Luna escort Sunset back to the office, contact Shadow and head right back to the scene of the accident while Sunset was instructed to wait for the young man to arrive.

Dear princess Twilight I am writing to you today because there has been a terrible accident. My good friend Trixie has been badly hurt but that's not the only thing wrong. While I was attending to Trixie a black aura exited from what looks like a broken glass spider and seeped into her wound before I could stop it. I believe Equestrian Magic might be involved. I managed to procure most of the pieces of the artifact, your help is desperately needed.

Your friend Sunset Shimmer.

Within seconds the journal began to glow signaling Sunset that the princess was responding to her message.

Dear Sunset I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she recovers soon. Unfortunately, I am unable to come to your world to help you. My royal duties are consuming most of my free time these days. When you have some time, you should come to Equestria and use my library. I have informed Starlight Glimmer and she will aid you with your endeavor until I get done with my duties.

Best regards Twilight Sparkle.

"How are words writing themselves in that book? And what has happened to Trixie?" asked Shadow In the doorway behind Sunset, startling her.

"Oh, Shadow it’s you" replied the young woman standing up and grasping her heart while trying to calm her nerves. " Did someone tell you yet?" asked Sunset hiding the journal in her bag.

"I was told to come to the principal's office, but your book says something about Trixie being in an accident."

"Please try not to panic. Trixie fell down the stairs and cracked her head open. Right now, she is unconscious."

"Where is my sister?" asked Shadow with a worried expression.

"She is with Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna."

As Shadow turned to leave Sunset grasped his left arm in her hands.

"I was told by principal Celestia herself, that I was to wait here for you and to make sure you don't leave her office and do anything rash."

"Rash!" Shadow's eyes narrowed on Sunset. The red head sensed the raw anger emanating for the young man. "My sister is in trouble and I am told I have to sit and do nothing?"

"Yes! If you go to Trixie now you will only be in the way."

Seeing the young woman's resolve was enough to calm the seething twin.

"Fine, I will wait here for now until we hear from CELESTIA!"

Sunset breathed a sigh of relief at his words.

Shadow glanced towards his arm then to the red head, "my arm!"

"Oh sorry," said an embarrassed Sunset releasing his arm.

The pair stood in silence for several seconds when Shadow broke the quiet. The young man steeled his resolve and faced Sunset and for the first time started a conversation with a girl other than his sister.

"What is Equestrian Magic and what does it and Twilight Sparkle have to do with Trixie's accident?"

Beads of sweat formed on the young woman’s face as panic set in.

"What are you talking about?" said Sunset feigning ignorance.

"This," came the reply as Shadow reached for the journal that the red head had quickly stuffed into her bag but forget to zip up.

Sunset lunged towards her bag which now occupied the chair she was sitting in that was in front of the principal's desk.

The young man faster than Sunset yanked the book out of reach and began to flip through the contents written on the pages.

"Forgotten memories, princesses, magic, ponies, portals, accidents, spiders, auras... What is all of this? ... It is like something out of Ogres and Oubliettes," said Shadow with a quizzical expression as he lowered the book glancing at Sunset.

"It’s just a fantasy novel" replied the young woman angrily reaching for the diary.

The young twin adeptly side stepped the charge, reading a passage out loud "Dear princess Twilight... are we still friends? Yes of course we are Sunset. Why wouldn't we be?"

Sunset lunged a second time. "Stop reading it out loud. That book is only fiction."

"I don't believe you," said the young man moving out of reach yet again.

"It's true."

"Then why are you so intent on hiding its contents for me?"

"Fine its really my personal diary okay... now can I please have it back?" asked Sunset blowing a strand of hair out of her face and holding out her right hand, gesturing towards the book.

"I wonder," said Shadow ignoring Sunset Shimmer and walking around towards the principal's side of the desk. Reaching for a pen the young man flipped passed the last entry about his sister and began to write.

Who exactly are you princess Twilight? What is Equestrian Magic and how did it cause Trixie's accident?

There was a long pause as time seemed to slow down for the pair. Then the book began to glow, and time quickened once again. Shadow looked on in wonder, his mouth slightly ajar as words began to speed across the page right below his question.

Who are you and why do you have Sunset's communication journal?

"What the heck?" muttered Shadow glancing at Sunset.

The red head looked to the befuddled boy then to the words written on the page then back to Shadow. "Well you should probably answer her. She is a princess after all, and it is rude to not answer a question when one asks" said Sunset with a snide smile.

Scowling at the cocky red head Shadow started to pen his reply.

I am Shadow Lulamoon...Trixie is my sister... now it is your turn.

Yep you're definitely Trixie's brother, never asking please or saying thank you and always demanding from somepony else. If you ask nicely I may be inclined to answer but until then... go play in Tartarus.

"Somepony? Tartarus? ... What?" asked Shadow staring from the page, then to the now giggling Sunset.

********************

Shadow felt like he had been punched in the stomach and vomited in his mouth. The young man dropped the diary, falling to his knees as anguish washed over him like the crashing waves of the ocean. Tears flowed free, cascading through his fingers that covered his eyes and dotting his jeans. "Trixie... how?... How am I supposed to help you?" For the first time since his father's funeral Shadow was consumed by his sadness. Resolve crumbled to uncertainty as the young man's life spiraled out of his control.

Sunset quieted down and watched as the spectacle began to unfold. The young woman felt a twinge pain run through her heart as guilt set in. Silently placing her left hand on his heaving shoulders Sunset knelt and picked up the journal.

Dear princess Twilight I am so sorry about Shadow. He caught me by surprise and before I could stop him; had my journal. Please forgive him I take full responsibility for his actions. He had just found out about his sister and I was insensitive. Instead of using the journal maybe after things calm down in this world it would be better to bring Shadow to Equestria so we can all sort this mess out face to face.

Yours truly Sunset Shimmer

********************

Equestria, Crystal Empire,

Night had fallen by the time the train screeched to a halt at the last northern station; outside of the Crystal Empire. The half draconequus levitating off the train held out his left hoof, offering it to his alicorn girlfriend.

"Watch that first step milady it is slippery."

"Why thank you kind sir," said the little alicorn taking his hoof.

The couple stood on the nearly empty platform except for a single pony standing in the chill night air, watching them from underneath a hooded cloak. Twinkle signaled Zany to get their belongings off the luggage trolley. The little half-breed gave her a dramatic bow. "Your wish is my command."

Twinkle just rolled her eyes and smiled. The little alicorn drew in a deep breath of the cold air and slowly let it back out again. "It has been quite a while since I was last here."

"That's the understatement of the century you, Snart for brains."

Twinkle turned to the voice's source; a lone figure draped with a hood cantered over to the little alicorn. The hooded pony stepped from the shadows, into the light of the dimly lit platform. The pony swept the brown cloak aside lifting the right hoof. Slowly the hoof pulled back the hood revealing a long pink horn. Curly purple hair with pink and blue highlights cascaded down around her neck, revealing the face of the Twinkle's cousin.

"Flurry Heart!" squealed Twinkle with glee, throwing herself at Flurry and enveloping her cousin in a bear bug.

"The one and only" said Flurry returning the embrace in kind.

"Wait how do I know it is really you and not a changeling imposter?" asked Twinkle pushing the pink alicorn away.

Flurry lowered her head and whispered "Last time you were here with Aunt Twilee you mentioned some intimate details about how you and Zany were star gazing and one thing led to another..."

"Alright... it's the real you," said the little alicorn blushing.

"Hey there Flutter Nutter" said Zany trotting up to the cousins.

"Hey yourself Squiggles replied the pink alicorn giving Zany a hoof bump in greeting.

"We have much to discuss," said Twinkle.

"Yes, we do," replied Flurry.

"Well the sooner we get to the castle and get through all the royal mumbo jumbo the sooner we get to adventuring," shouted Zany excitedly.

Both alicorns nodded smiling in agreement.

As the trio made their way to the crystal castle Twinkle grabbed Zany's left hoof giving it an affectionate squeeze with Zany returning the gesture, then pulling her close as they walked. The half-breed gently nudged his girlfriend drawing her gaze towards the heavens. The northern rainbow illuminated the starry night sky, a myriad of colors dancing in the cold night air. The little alicorn gazed in awe wishing they could stay like this forever.