• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Complications of the Heart! Part 2

Crystal Empire Alternate Future

The chilled wind swirled around Aubree, fiercely pulling at her mane and tail causing them to cascade behind the alicorn like a blue and silverer flag for all to see. The alicorn's feathered wings fluttered in the breeze as she soared through the stormy sky. Normally the cold would have bothered Aurora but not at this moment. An Icey blue energy enveloped Aurora Breeze announcing her nightmare form. Unlike before, now she was in control. Aubree, heart no longer muddied, knew her priorities. Meditating, eyes closed, Aubree silenced the wintery squall.

"Now all I have to do is wait."

The yellow alicorn dove through the grey storm clouds. Her wings fluttered for an instant as she stopped short of the tallest tower's peak. With a quick flurry of her majestic wings Aubree landed on the tower's roof, with a noisy clatter of hooves on the crystalline surface. The young mare sat and watched as the first rays of sunlight pierced through the warring cloud cover. Little by little the clouds dissipated, transforming from gray to white. The alicorn gazed longingly into the warming sky.

"It's so quiet... But that is the be expected when it comes to storms, before and after... right Ira?"

Aubree loved the peace and quiet while hating it at the same time. Having too much quiet time allowed for her mind to wander to places she dreaded to relive. Memories of her past both good and bad. Mostly bad though.

"Well maybe not all bad" thought Aubree thinking about her time with Shadow in the astral plane. "He did save us and Flurry Heart..."

A memory she wanted forgotten. An agonizing memory caused her the most pain, reminding her of her broken heart and greatest mistake. One that contained her deepest and darkest secret that not even Ira knew about. Anytime this memory surfaced Aubree just hid it behind a quirky facade but with all that has been happening around her Aubree couldn't suppress it. For some unknown reason Shadow popped into her mind reminding her of the stranger she met so long ago. "Now that I think of it, Shadow does kind of remind me of the young man from back then. If only I had learned his name..."

An image of her younger self emerged to the forefront of her mind. She was lying on the beach bathing in the sun's warm rays. "At least this part is pleasant enough." Aurora was filled with melancholy as she relived her past of pleasure and pain.

"I wonder how she is doing... If I knew then what I know now would I have ever been able to give her up..." Thought Aubree with a forlorn smile.

Just then a figment of Shadow appeared next to her. Aurora Breeze stumbled back, shocked.

"Suck it up butter cup there is nothing you can do. The past is in the past all you can do is look ahead, into the future," said the snarky voice of Shadow.

"Cruel much..." grumbled Aubree.

"Tough love baby."

"Are you really Shadow?" asked Aubree reaching out with her right hoof, which passed right through Shadow.

"Maybe I am and maybe not. I could be an illusion conjured up by your subconscious mind or even a changeling posing as Shadow so I can feed off your broken love."

"Grrr... you're starting to sound like Ira with her riddles. ... I hate riddles!"

"Ah Aubree that’s what I love most about you, your perceptiveness. Slow as it may be."

"Now you're mocking me... I prefer the kind sensitive Shadow from the astral plane. You are just a condescending Asshole."

"I am a figment of your imagination..."

"So, you're not Shadow?"

"It's more complicated than that but yes I am Shadow... Let us just leave it at that."

"Alright Mr. Complicated, why are you here and why show yourself to me?"

"You are the only one who's perception has awakened."

"What does that even mean?"

The ghostly Shadow dropped the facade revealing a sad expression that expressed much loss. Aubree knew at that moment that whatever loss she felt, could never compare to the loss that the figment's sadness revealed to her. The Alicorn's heart ached for the illusion.

"My time is short Aurora Breeze... I leave you with this..." The words that escaped the illusion were all but a whisper. Aubree strained her ears and mind as she tried to comprehend the specter’s parting words.

"That doesn't answer my questions. How will I know when the time is right? Damn you Shadow Lulamoon, you really are an ass!"

With the fading of the specter so too did his words, drifting on the winds of time all but forgotten until the appropriate moment.

Aubree blinked a few times shaking away the daze.

"What was I... I guess it doesn't matter. When this is all over, I will find her... my little Nova Shine and this time I will never let her go..."

The calming wind wrapped Aurora Breeze in it's cold embrace as the alicorn looked towards the future.

********************

"So, this is where you have been."

Startled, Aubree leapt into the air, wings extended. The yellow alicorn turned in midair as she gently wafted on the cool breeze, landing back onto the crystalline roof.

"Au... uh ... ahem... I mean Twinkle what are you doing here?"

"Wait how do you know my name? I don't believe were ever properly introduced."

Aubree quickly probed through her mind trying to think up a believable excuse.

"Well you see when Shadow saved my soul on the astral plane, he talked all about you and his friends" said Aubree laughing nervously.

"I wouldn't call Shadow a friend I barely know the guy," replied Twinkle Sparkle skeptically.

"Just ignore her. Shadow is alright in my book. He has some real guts standing up to Shining Armor like he did. Anypony like that is a friend of mine" said the gray stallion standing next to Twinkle.

"Yea and look where that got all of us," chided the violet alicorn.

"You're such a killjoy Twinkle Toes!"

" I don't want to be rude but who are you? ... How did know that I was up here?"

"The medical wing was empty," stated Twinkle.

"Straight to the point, never to explain... You never change," muttered Aurora.

"Did you say something?" glared Twinkle.

"Nope!" replied Aubree, smiling.

Twinkle scrunched her eyes, studying the smiling alicorn. Ready to say more the skeptical princess was cut short by Zany.

"What Twinkle Toes is trying to say is that when events turned sour, you were the first pony we thought about who would be next on the wanted list, so we went to the medical wing. Low and behold the room was emptier than one of Twinkle's study parties. We tried to find you before Shining Armor took notice but that fell down the slippery slopes of Mount Neiverest. As Fate would have it, we all felt the astral surge of nightmare energy. Hopefully it dissipated quickly enough, or our day will get a whole lot worse."

"Waaiittt! What? That hole long winded speech was so chaotic I don't understand half of what you said" replied Aubree, befuddled.

"I love you Zany but sometimes you go too far... She is our enemy and you just spouted out everything like a leaky faucet."

"There is a fine line between friend and foe Twinkle Toes. Considering recent events and Flurry Heart contained, I believe it is beneficial for us all to cooperate."

"I understand what that means Zany, but you revealed everything without a plan or knowing that she can be trusted" said Twinkle scowling with irritation.

"Your method of doing things is soooooooooooo boring. In fact, you can kill the residents of a graveyard twice over with boredom!"

"The only comfort I can garner from your nonsense is that you take after Discord... and that's not saying much," scoffed Twinkle.

"I am my father's son," smiled Zany.

"Hold on what happened to Flurry Heart, is she in danger?" demanded Aubree, intense crimson eyes focused on the stallion. Intimidated, Zany quietly stepped behind Twinkle.

The princess came nose to nose with the yellow alicorn when Zany pushed her forward. Taking in Aurora's strange words and familiar demeanor, Twinkle felt an ebb and flow of familiar energy emanating from Aubree. The princess quickly realized. The pieces began to fall into place like a puzzle.

"You should go to Flurry's room and speak to her she will fill you in on everything."

Aubree silently nodded her head in thanks, extended her wings and vanished out of sight.

"Wow that was intense" said Zany breathing a sigh of relief. "Where did she come from?"

"Where indeed?" copied Twinkle, monotoned.

"Twinkle my love... you are starting the scare me."

"Zany, besides the new one how many alicorns exist in Equestria and where do they come from?"

"Not counting yellow intensity there are six. The answer to your second question, when a Daddy pony plays doctor with a mommy pony."

"Stop right there. Zany don't go any further with that train of thought you freak. Spare me your fetishes and answer my question!"

"You lost me."

Twinkle sighed, shaking her head in annoyance.

"There are six alicorns. Princess Luna and Celestia and then with trials and tribulations, and with the aid of the Solar Diarchs Aunt Cadance and my mother. Finally, there is me and Flurry who are the only two naturally born alicorns. So how is it an unknown alicorn suddenly appears out of nowhere?"

"Twilight or Cadance had a secret love child with a hot stallion!" replied Zany shrugging his shoulders.

"NOOOOO! My family isn't promiscuous."

"Flurry's actions speak otherwise!"

Twinkle, deep in thought silently nodded.

"Twinkle you have that bug eyed look on you face. What are you thinking? "

Zany's concerns went unanswered.

Author's Note:

Sorry it is a bit short after a long break but its late and I feel I should post something . As always please enjoy and comment.