• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Know your friends!

Author's Note:

If you haven't read my 2 short stories now is the time to go and do so Starswirl will tell Twilight and the others about his past but it will be in the background. I will not rewrite it in this story so If you want to know a bit of back story please check out Stella's bleeding heart and threads and connections.

Shadow's sister shrieked in pain as three of her appendages turned to ash. Trixie turned her fiery gaze to Shadow releasing a shrill hiss from her pincer filled mouth.

"You bitch!" Shadow's voice had an unnatural ethereal echo to it as his declaration rang out.

Demon Spider Trixie retracted her remaining five legs, pulling Sunset and Pony Trixie through the portals. The two unicorns vanished from where they were only to appear seconds later still attached to the spider legs. Trixie, hat less hung upside-down shrieking with pain from her skewered leg. Sunset remained impaled on two of the legs. Her breathing became labored as her chest heaved up and down trying to pull in oxygen. Sunset's once vivid blue green eyes now had a cloudy look to them as her life drained away.

"Release them," boomed Shadow's voice.

Demon Trixie just smiled revealing razor-sharp yellow teeth covered with a black colored ichor. "You must suffer... You... must... cease to exist, so that I may thrive."

"Trixie release them or you will be the one to suffer."

Shadow's sister used her two free legs to rend open reality. From the new portal emerged several spiders and hundreds of tendrils. Shadow gritted his teeth and struck out at his enemies. A spider lashed out as the flaming pony fended off some tendrils scoring a hit on Shadow's flank only to burst in flame and turn to dust. Two more arachnids appeared taking the fallen creatures spot. From the fresh wound seeped out more of Shadow's weird blood. Shadow fought with such veracity, bucking, biting, fencing and skewering but even as a nightmare he was beginning to feel the exhaustion. For every fallen foe there was more to stand in the way. Shadow was overcome with desperation as pony Trixie shouted for help. Three inky black tubes connected both Demon and pony Trixie to each other.

"Get your grossness out of Trixie!"

Trixie struggled to shake herself free from the demon's grasp but was unsuccessful. The blue unicorn's complexion faded as her essence was drained.

"Trixie doesn't feel so good."

********************

A blast of searing red fire and several wind sickles appeared wiping out more of Demon Trixie's minions.

"It's a good thing we arrived when we did," said an unfamiliar voice of an orange unicorn with a goatee.

"Right you are my boy," said an elderly unicorn with a white beard.

With the help of the two new unicorns the one-sided battle began to turn. Finally, a clear view appeared before the elderly unicorn.

"Stella?" said the elder unicorn.

As if on que the demon Trixie's gaze fell onto the elder unicorn. "Starswirl," said the demon with a panicked ethereal voice.

The demon needed a diversion. Using so much quintessence was taxing on the mortal body she now possessed. Demon Trixie only needed her other self. Sunset was dying and of no use to the spider demon, so she gripped Sunset in her human arms and removed the spider legs from the yellow unicorn. Without the black appendages Sunset's wounds began to gush. Without a word demon Trixie heaved the bleeding Sunset at the ponies like a projectile. This action had the desired affect and drew the attention of her enemies. Demon Trixie made a split-second retreat into the void taking her pony self with her.

********************

Starswirl the Bearded caught Sunset with his telekinesis slowing her decent. Shadow rushed over just in time to pluck the injured unicorn out of the spell and gently place her on the ground. Starswirl was shocked that the flames of the nightmare brought no harm to the bleeding mare. Shadow's attention was pulled away from his companion. The monsters were vanishing back into the holes they appeared from. Scanning from left to right Shadow found no sign of Trixie. "She has her." Shadow dashed to the nearest portal he spotted only to be stopped by Starswirl.

"Now is not the time my boy. If you charge in there with your quintessence flowing out, you will perish. If that happens you will be of no use to that mare or anypony else for that matter."

"Get out of my way old man," Snarled Shadow.

"I can't do that."

Shadow was prepared to disintegrate Starswirl, when a booming voice reverberated from the sky.

"Stand down now or face the consequences."

"Who the hell do any of you think you are, trying to stand in my way?" shouted Shadow as three alicorns landed next to him.

"I am Princess Celestia ruler of Equestria and this here is Princess Luna and Princess Twilight Sparkle," replied Celestia with her authoritative voice.

"I don't care who you are. If you stop me from saving Trixie, you will burn!"

"If you continue your rampage, I will turn you to stone" Celestia spat back.

Shadow focused his burning eyes towards the ruler of Equestria. "If this is the way it must be then fine. You will be the first I turn to ashes."

Celestia, refusing to back down lowered her horn towards the charging nightmare and released a rainbow at him. The colored beam hit Shadow square in the chest but had no effect.

"What? That is impossible he should have turned to stone..." said an awestruck Celestia.

Celestia summoned up a shield just in the nick of time to absorb most of the impact but Shadow's horn still pierced the barrier scoring a hit on the princess's right side. Celestia winced in pain as her flesh burned from the intense heat.

"Sister!" shouted Luna running to her sister's aid.

Shadow lashed out with his rear hooves, connecting with Luna's head rendering her unconscious.

Hearing the commotion Sunset began to stir. The scene before her was of Shadow fighting the rulers of Equestria and to her surprise Shadow was winning. "I have to do something before someone else gets hurt" thought Sunset. With every ounce of energy, she could muster Sunset dragged her crippled body towards Shadow.

"Shadow STOP!" shouted Sunset.

Twilight stared from Sunset to Shadow her jaw hanging open in shock. "That's Shadow?"

Shadow turned to face the new interruption. "What ingrate stops me now?" roared Shadow unable to recognize Sunset through all the burning rage.

"You ignorant, Snart for brained ass," shouted a tearful Sunset as she kissed Shadow.

The flames surrounding Shadow began to extinguish. "S... u... n... s... set..." escaped his mouth as his eyes slowly drooped. Little motes of quintessence seeped from Shadow's wounds, blanketing him and Sunset as they collapsed to the ground.

********************

"Shadow Lulamoon? It can't be," said Starswirl in awe.

"Starswirl I read you journal about Grishadera and the glass spider in the Cantelot Library. It is time you told us what in Equestria is going on," said Twilight with a stern expression on her face.

"It will be a long story, Twilight my friend."

"Indulge me Starswirl."

********************

Elsewhere in another dimension,

The royal trio Zany, Twinkle Sparkle and Flurry Heart were in the royal library playing a game of Ogres and Oubliettes.

"Zany you little cheat!"

"I am offended Flurry Heart that you would think that I would stoop so low as to manipulate your dice. You are the alicorn who rolled snake eyes all on your own," replied Zany innocently.

"Grrrr... you know what I mean Lamey. Just look at the dice every side is a one."

"Actually, Flurry that was me," said Twinkle with an impish smile.

"I expect this kind of behavior from your boyfriend but not you Twinkle," said Flurry with a scowl.

"Come on Twinkle Toes you know our party's survival depends on that roll to break the metal door and escape this dungeon," said Zany scolding his girlfriend.

"It's just a game" said Twinkle waving her left hoof nonchalantly.

"JUST A GAME?" shouted Zany and Flurry in unison.

"Bahahaha... you should see your faces right now... I am just kidding," said Twinkle gleefully.

"I have become a bad influence... it is pretty bad when I am the serious one," mumbled Zany.

"Enough of this banter and fix my dice so I can roll you, Snart face," said Flurry giving Twinkle an unamused expression.

Ignoring her cousin's glare Twinkle levitated a pair of purple six-sided dice to Flurry Heart.

"Come on Flutter Nutter break that door with your warrior's strength," cheered Zany.

Flurry's horn glowed yellow as the dice were levitated and dropped back onto the table. The plastic cubes rolled end over end until a single pip was displayed on either die.

"Nooooo..." shrieked Flurry, her face contorted in anger.

"Looks like you didn't need the trick dice to fail your roll after all," teased Twinkle.

Flurry Heart glared daggers at Twinkle. "Silence knave."

Zany quickly broke up the argument and began reading from the adventure book. "Caradina Oakes Bane, swings her great sword at the metal door. A loud clang reverberated across is shiny surface. Then there was a blinding flash as the door's lightning trap is set off. The mighty warrior smelling like burnt toast flies through the air smacking her head on the far wall. Caradina, slides to the floor leaving behind a red streak as unconsciousness overtakes her."

"Oh, for the love of Celestia!" shouted Flurry banging her front hooves on the table.

"Is everything alright in here Floopy dear?" asked Flurry's mother Cadance from the opened library door.

"Everything is fine mother," grumbled Flurry through gritted teeth.

Zany and Twinkle began to snicker at Flurry's discomfort.

"Good to hear Floopy dear. How about you three brave adventurers take a break and join me and your father for dinner?"

"Sounds good mother... We will join you in a few minutes," said Flurry with a fake smile.

Pleased, Cadance trotted out of the library to join her husband. Flurry turned back to her companions with a scowl. "I am glad some ponies are amused."

This just elicited another giggle from the couple.

********************

Shadow slowly opened his eyes, focusing on nearby flickering light. "What the heck?" The stallion jumped to his feet, startled by what he saw. "What is this place? Did I die?" Shadow's voice echoed through the sea of stars like a leaf on the wind. Looking around Shadow noticed a silver thread trailing behind him as well as a several read ones attached to his horn. The silver thread stayed rooted to the spot where he woke up and no amount of moving changed that. While the red threads lead off into different directions. Studying the ruby strands Shadow noticed one was a more vibrant shade of red. "I guess I have to start somewhere." Carefully Shadow moved his front right hoof and stepped forward. A small rippling ring cascaded out from him hoof. "That's different!" With a bit more confidence Shadow followed the brightest red string. Off in the distance the red thread ended at a lone figure.

"Sunset Shimmer," said Shadow calling out to his companion.

Sunset didn't acknowledge Shadow when he neared. The young mare had a panicked expression on her face as she moved around. Sunset's frantic movements jerked her head to the left and then to the right. Shadow realized his companion looked lost or to be seeking something. Cautiously Shadow closed the distance to his friend. Freely floating around Sunset was a silver strand like his own but the big difference was that her ethereal thread looked to have been cut. As Shadow watched in wonder, Sunset began to flicker in and out as her outline dimmed. The soft echoing words "only you," compelled Shadow to touch his horn to Sunset's horn. Her astral form solidified as the silver thread mended itself.

"Sha... dow..." said a dazed Sunset.

"Yea... I am here."

"What hap... pened?"

"I'm not sure. I woke up in this strange place and followed this red string to you. When I arrived, you were walking around like some crazed pony."

"That's not what I meant."

Sunset's eyes widened as she realized what happened. "I DIED!"

"For being dead you sure are rather spry."

"I had spider legs in me... so much blood..." said Sunset examining herself.

Crystalline drops ran down her cheeks and pattered against the sea of stars.

"Focus on me Sunshim. Listen to my voice," whispered Shadow lifting his friend's head so that she was looking straight into his fuchsia eyes.

Shadow held Sunset’s gaze until the sobbing subsided.

"Better?"

Sunset nodded her head.

"Good, because I suck at giving moral support."

"You do alright," said Sunset with a soft smile.