• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Struggles and loss!

The cool night air Caressed Shadow's damp cheeks drying the tears that had formed. Shadow sat on a small knoll just outside Twilight's crystal castle, lost in thought as he gazed longingly at the millions of glittering dots that eclipsed the moon. "I never thought that the adventure that I always wished for would turn out to be like this. I am a four-legged freak that can't walk straight or even properly use magic. So far I am rolling zero."

"A six-sided die? That is an interesting cutie mark," said a familiar voice from behind, startling Shadow.

"What is a cutie mark?" said Shadow turning to the voice.

"The mark on your rump you doof!"

Shadow glanced down at his backside, noticing a six-side die displayed on either side of his flank. Shadow rubbed at the symbol on his left side. “Well fancy that!" Shadow quickly stopped himself. "Grrr... the Snart for brained Dr. Hooves..."

"Are you done admiring yourself?"

"Trixie?" asked Shadow looking up and noticing the quirky magician.

"The one and only," replied Trixie giving a dramatic bow with a flourish of her right front hoof.

"You, Snart for brains," said Shadow with a soft chuckle.

"Trixie has no idea what that means but from that smile, Trixie will take it as a compliment."

Even though this Trixie wasn't his twin; Shadow felt comforted by her presence.

"Do you mind if Trixie sits down?" asked Trixie. Not waiting for a response the magician sat down beside Shadow's right flank.

"I am glad some things remain the same even in this world," said Shadow.

"Ya, about that..." muttered Trixie.

Trixie gazed into Shadow's eyes as Shadow stared back. Both unicorns felt the connection instantaneously. Trixie felt compelled as some unseen force encouraged her closer to Shadow. Neither said a word as Trixie closed her eyes and pressed her forehead to Shadow's. Their spiraled horns crossed releasing a gentle red glow. Trixie opened her eyes and slowly pulled back. A tangible luminous red string flowed out of the tip of her horn connecting to Shadow's horn. The red aura held a gentle sound reminiscent of a heartbeat. Then just as quickly as the string appeared it vanished from sight but both unicorns still felt its presence.

"Interesting... even though Trixie doesn't know you, you feel familiar to Trixie."

"In my world you are my twin sister."

"That's odd... I don't have a brother, but Trixie does vaguely remember mother telling Trixie something about a twin before birth..." Trixie scrunched her nose trying to recall the memory. "oh... wait..."

"What's wrong?" asked Shadow his voice barely a whisper.

shadow watched Trixie with a somber expression as a lone tear appeared on her cheek, glinting in the moonlight as it trickled down her cheek.

"He... died at birth..."

The normally outgoing magician was wreathed in pain as a tightening crushed her heart. Without a word Shadow gently embraced Trixie, wrapping his front hooves around her. Slowly Shadow rubbed her back as Trixie sobbed into his shoulder. The pair remained in a warm embrace for several minutes while Trixie composed herself. "Thanks... for that... strange... brother... pony..." said Trixie her voice barely a whisper.

"It's Shadow... but my Trixie always calls my Shady..." replied Shadow with gentle smile.

"Thank... you... Shady," replied Trixie hesitantly, then turned her head as her cheeks heated.

Gently Shadow rested his right hoof under Trixie's chin, guiding her head so that Trixie was staring into his fuchsia pools. "Listen, Trix no matter what happens, no matter the universe...you will always be my big sister. I love you Trixie and I will always be here for you."

"You dummy," whispered Trixie with a smile and tear-filled eyes.

Suddenly Trixie stiffened her violet eyes glazed over, becoming a milky white color.

"Only you!" said Trixie with an eerily soft voice.

"What?... Trix are you alright?"

Trixie let out a blood curdling scream causing Shadow to flinch and fall backwards. "She is coming!"

"Who? ... Oh no!" said Shadow feeling the presence of his Twin growing closer.

Before Trixie or Shadow could react the sky around them ripped asunder. Several inky black tendrils shot out wrapping around Trixie. Snapping out of her trance the magician tried to blast the tendrils with her magic. Attack spells never came easily to her though and due to the restraining tendrils Trixie was helpless. Shadow full of adrenaline leapt to his hooves. "I won't let you take my sister again you damn demon," roared Shadow. Shadow's cutie mark and horn blazed with a purple light matching his fury. A stream of energy of the same color streaked out from his horn. The blast crashed against Trixie like an ocean wave upon the rocks. Trixie's eyes took on the same brilliant purple. Blinding blue lightning escaped her horn rippling out across the ground electrifying the black tendrils. An agonizing scream erupted from beyond the tear in the sky as the smoking tendrils vanished back into the void.

********************

Sunset waited a few minutes making sure Trixie was out of earshot before speaking.

"Wow even in Equestria Trixie doesn't change."

"Is Trix a drama queen in the human world as well?" asked Starlight with a chuckle while she stacked the rest of the books for Spike.

"Yep," replied Sunset smiling.

"So; Sunset would you mind telling me what brings you and your brooding friend to Equestria?"

"Didn't Twilight fill you in on what is going on."

"Not really... all she said was that something bad happened in the human world and that I was to remain vigilant until you arrived. Then she left for Canterlot to answer Celestia's summons. A day later Spike belched out a scroll that mentioned Twi had found something disturbing about your spider as well as stating that I should expect Sunburst and Starswirl soon."

"How soon is soon Starlight?"

"Twilight never said."

The conversation was cut short when a gut-wrenching scream pierced the pair's ears. Starlight ran to the window overlooking Ponyville and opened it. Some distance away Starlight could make out two ponies shouting and fighting against something she had never seen before.

"What’s wrong?" asked Sunset trotting up beside Starlight.

Glancing in the same direction Sunset saw a familiar scene.

"Not good," shouted Sunset leaping out the window and dropping six feet out of the library window. The fiery unicorn hit the ground and rolled just as she landed to distribute the shock of the impact. As fast as lighting Sunset was on her hooves galloping towards the hill.

"Oh, for the love of Celestia...I forgot how hot-headed Sunset could be," muttered Starlight following her friend out the window.

Starlight wasn't as graceful as Sunset. Starlight hit the ground hooves first the impact rattling the unicorn as she stumbled forward eating grass and dirt. "Puttuu!... why do I always get roped into these messes?" grumbled Starlight righting herself and charging after Sunset.

A brilliant purple light followed shortly after by blue, illuminated the horizon temporarily blinding Starlight. "What in Celestia's name was that?"

*******************

Sunset and Starlight made it just in time to witness a dozen more tears open up in the space around them.

"Sunset what in Celestia's name is going on," shouted Starlight as she jumped over a tendril.

"The reason we are here," replied Sunset, side stepping, as two inky streaks passed on her right.

Sunset took a brief second to locate Shadow and began to move in his direction. Starlight followed closed behind her friend. Several more tendrils reach for the duo only to recoil back into the void as green and turquoise beams blasted them. The pair made their way to their friends ducking, dodging, weaving, and blasting. Slowly but surely Sunset and Starlight were making head way pausing only when a cry of anger and frustration erupted from the other side. Starlight watched in horror as spindly spider legs followed by obsidian carapaces covered with hundreds of blood red eyes entered Equestria through the rip in the fabric of reality.

"Oh, for the love of Celestia... I hate spiders," shouted Starlight.

"Welcome to my world," replied Sunset sarcastically.

The pair of unicorns were surrounded by twelve five-foot-tall spiders.

"Time to kick ass and take no names," said Sunset gritting her teeth as she charged the closest spider that stood between her and Shadow.

"Starlight feeling the fatigue setting in just shook her head wondering, "where does she get all of the energy?" as she followed after Sunset.

The fiery unicorn's yellow horn plunged in the spider's middle as it reared up trying to tackle Sunset. Green ichor exploded from the wound oozing down Sunset's horn and into her face. The green blood stung Sunset's eyes as she was partially blinded by the ichor. The yellow orange unicorn tasted sulfur as her tongue was bathed in spider blood. Stubbornly Sunset pressed on only thinking about getting to Shadow. The spider shrieked in pain retaliating with its front appendages. The left one struck out catching Sunset on her cheek. Crimson flowed freely. The right appendage pierced her right flank soaking Sunset's coat in blood. Sunset flinched in pain but still pressed forward. Starlight tasted metal as Sunset's blood hit her face. Watching friend begin to falter a bit Starlight released a turquoise beam that struck the skewered spider. The obsidian carapace exploded into gory bits bathing the charging unicorn in green ichor.

"Nasty fracking bugs," growled Starlight.

Just as the spider fell two more filled the space trying to prevent the pair from reaching their friends.

"To Tartarus with you freaks!" screamed Starlight as she cast her custom speed spell on herself and Sunset. The two unicorns ripped through the spiders and even pierced through three more before finally reaching their friends.

********************

Blue lightning danced across the ground frying inky black tendrils and obsidian spiders alike. Trixie fought like a rabid animal as she fended off the oncoming onslaught and protecting Shadow like an older sister should. "You stay away from him!"

Shadow's horn blazed with purple energy as he bucked. His rear hooves catching a spider square in the face with such force that its head split in half spewing green blood. The stallion lunged spearing a second spider on his horn only to have it explode and soak Shadow in green as Trixie blasted it with molten hot lighting. The pair hearing the thundering of hooves to the right turned to face the new threat. "Die you eight-legged freak!" shouted Trixie pointing her horn at Sunset and Starlight.

"Stow that magic, killer... or you will be blasting lighting out your other end," said Sunset glaring at Trixie.

"Who do you think you are talking to Trixie like that," sneered Trixie.

"Girls, that is enough now. We are not enemies here," said Starlight trying to calm everyone down.

"The old lady is right! Trixie will stomp your ugly butt after we finish off the spiders," spat Trixie blasting a spider.

A strand of hair popped out of Starlight's mane at the magician's comment.

"I doubt you can do it. The old lady will have to carry your broken carcass back to Twilight's castle when I am finished with you," jeered Sunset bucking a second spider to a bloody pulp.

Another strand of hair popped out as Starlight's anger built up.

"My carcass please. The old lady will be tending to you not me," scoffed Trixie.

"Who the hell are you calling an old lady? I am not much older than you two!" roared Starlight.

Three more hairs and a purple vain popped. Feeling a surge of power Starlight erupted in furry releasing a shock wave ring that reduced four more spiders into mulch.

An echoing voice reach out of the void ringing in the ears of the four ponies. "You will not stand in my way. I must become whole so that I can become one."

"What is Celestia's name now?" shouted Starlight.

As in answer to Starlight's question, another much larger fissure opened. The four ponies dodged aside as pale blue hand emerged from the gap in space follow by a second blue hand. Eight ten-foot-long legs stretched out followed by the rest. Black and purple veins snaked their way across the young woman's once beautiful face. Two larger red eyes burned like red hot coals as the creature glared at the ponies.

"Trixie!" said Shadow in anguish.

"Shady now is not the time to be calling Trixie's name," said the quirky magician.

"He doesn't mean you. He is talking about her. That she demon is his sister," said Sunset with a mournful expression.

Trixie's gaze started at Shadow writhing in a agony then to the other two mares, finally stopping on her other self that now resembled a half mutated spider. Icey tendrils of dread seeped into her soul as she stared into spider Trixie's red eyes. Before anypony could react the eight spider legs entered a circular hole. The first two legs emerged beside Sunset, piercing her. Blood exploded out of her mouth as Sunset coughed. The other three ponies seeing this were a bit luckier when the other six legs attacked. One leg just scratched Starlight as she dodged but was then sent flying nine feet away by another leg. Trixie's rear left leg bathed the grass red as the fifth leg pinned her to the ground.

"SUNSET!" A thin red ethereal string connecting Shadow's horn to Sunset's horn blazed red hot before vanishing. Shadow's cry of anguish took on a new cacophony as the purple radiance in his eyes blazed into flames. The stallion's mane and tail took on a life of their own as they erupted into the same purple flame and spread out across his coat down to his hooves. The other three legs attacked penetrating Shadow. The legs were burned to ashes by the intense fire. Shadow's wounds released tiny shimmering specks instead of blood.

"You Bitch!" roared Shadow.

Author's Note:

If you have read my two short stories you know I don't shy away from the the darker stuff. This chapter. has a bit of language. I felt it was apropriate with the intense emotions. Chapter 10 will arrive soon. But with the time being 2 am and its current length I felt this was a good stopping point. Now I must sleep. As always please feel free to coment. Which ther prboably wont be any seeing as how only one member has even commented lol. Well time for tis author to sign off.