• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Gripes, grudges... healing!

"So, what is this place Sunset?"

"The astral plain."

"Do you mean the realm between realities?"

"Yes, that one. Don't you remember the last time we were here together?"

"The last... time?"

"Yes! There was two of you. Your pony form was sleeping while your human self-spoke to me."

"What did we talk about?" asked Shadow with an inquisitive expression.

"We discussed possible futures and..." replied Sunset hesitating.

"What?"

"Nothing... just never mind."

"You can't just say never mind after saying something. It might be important... and help us save Trixie," said Shadow coaxing his companion to say what was on her mind.

Sunset chewed on her lower lip, contemplating on whether Shadow should know. "Just rip the bandage off Sunset." thought the fiery haired unicorn.

"Augmenter... you are an augmenter of causality!" said Sunset a bit too loudly, her voice echoing throughout the plain.

"That is the second time you have used that title!"

Sunset silently nodded her head in agreement.

"What does it mean?" said Shadow rubbing his chin with his left hoof, while he pondered the question.

"You said... well not you. The other you said to think of it as being like a battery," replied Sunset.

"A battery?" asked Shadow with a skeptical expression.

"Yep."

"Sunset... are you sure that your brain didn't get damaged during all the fighting?"

"Grrr... listen you ass!" Just think for a moment what does a battery do?"

"We use batteries as a power source for technology."

"Basically... but there is more to it than that," replied Sunset nonchalantly.

"Really... you don't say?" scoffed Shadow with exasperation.

"maybe if you weren't being such a doosh, I wouldn't be so cryptic," chided Sunset.

"Do you really want to argue semantics right now?" growled Shadow.

"Not really because talking to you is like talking to that star over there. In fact, I would probably have a better discussion with the star than I would with you," shouted Sunset.

"Fine... I am sorry... alright..." Shadow choked out.

Sunset thought for a moment before speaking. "Shadow has opened up since our first meeting as well as willingly rescue and comfort me..." With a heavy "Sigh!" Sunset spoke.

"Long story short you amplify or augment the abilities of others around you, but I believe there is more to it than that."

"For example?" asked Shadow minus the sarcasm.

"Let me think for a second...aha. What were you thinking about when you turned into that flaming nightmare?"

"Wha... what does that have to do with anything?" said Shadow blushing.

"Just humor me you doof," said Sunset, smiling at Shadow's discomfort.

"When... Trixie hurt... you... I felt a surge of power flow into me as I was filled with rage."

Sunset turned her head away, blushing from Shadow's words.

"Sunset?" asked Shadow breaking the young mare's reverie.

"Oh... um sorry what were we talking about?"

"About there being more to it."

"Ah... right... right. I believe there is more to it than just enhancement. I believe you can also augment yourself with the abilities of others."

"You can turn into nightmare?" asked Shadow.

"To be honest I have never tried... but..."

"Oh heck no... we are not doing this dance again. Spill it Sunshim!"

"Well... do you know what happened during the fall formal?"

"I do recall Trixie speaking nonsense about a demon, but I usually just ignore her."

"You should really learn to listen to your sister... Trixie is smarter than you give her credit for. I mean yea she can be a bit eccentric..."

"A bit... try living with her."

"Heheheh... I will have to take your word on that," laughed Sunset.

"Anyways Trixie was telling you the truth. I was that demon."

"You, Sunset Shimmer turned into a demon?"

"It's something I am not proud of but when all of that raw uncontrollable magic flowed into me I was consumed by my lust for power and turned into a raging she demon."

"So obviously you turned back otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hmmm... "

"What are you thinking about oh augmenter sensei?"

"So essentially you are full of raw magic that I can tap into... how does that explain those visions we shared when we...you know?" asked Shadow blushing.

"... kissed," said Sunset finishing the sentence.

"Yea... that."

"Well my ability allows me to see other’s thoughts and feelings when I touch them. So theoretically with your augmenter abilities you can enhance my empathy powers, thus making them prophetic..."

"No, I feel we are missing something."

"I don't understand Shadow?"

"When I am with you its more than just simple enhancement there is some connection there."

"Okay... but what makes you think that?"

"Well for starters every once in a while, I see a red thread that connects me to you. It is not just you either. Pony Trixie and my crazy spider sister had one as well."

"What do you think it could mean Shadow?"

"I don't have enough evidence right now to formulate a theory. What I can say for sure is you are part of the equation Sunset."

Sunset just blushed. Before she could reply Sunset felt a tug and was ripped from the astral plain.

********************

Sunset began to stir from the sound of nearby voices. Bleary eyed, Sunset focused on a familiar lavender silhouette.

"Doctor what is the verdict?" said a familiar voice.

"Verdict what does she mean verdict?" thought Sunset.

"Ms. Shimmer died due to blood loss, but then she was enveloped by a silver aura and her wounds closed and she now has a pulse."

"That's great news Doctor," replied the familiar voice.

"You might think so Princess Twilight, but if your friend recovers, she may not feel the same way," said the doctor.

"What do you mean?" asked Princess Twilight Sparkle.

"Yea... What do you mean?" thought Sunset"

The doctor's vibrant brown coat began to turn pale as he fidgeted with his stethoscope.

"To put it bluntly whatever caused those horrific wounds tore through not only vital but also her reproductive organs as well."

"So, what your saying is Sunset won’t ever be able to have children?"

"If she awakens, Ms. Shimmer will not be able to naturally have children," replied the doctor.

"There has to be something that can be done," cried Twilight tears blurring her vision.

"I f there is princess it is beyond my abilities."

********************

"Nooooooooooo!" Screamed Sunset from inside her unconscious mind.

Twilight glanced over to her friend "how am I going to break this news to her?" With troubled thoughts the lavender alicorn trotted over to Sunset. Gazing at her friend's resting form Twilight paused with a look of confusion on her face. The alicorn watched in awe as tears formed in Sunset Shimmer's half lidded eyes. The clear droplets cascaded down Sunset's cheeks pattering on the tiled floor with soft "plink!" sounds. Twilight Sparkle stood by Sunset's side, tears welling up in her own eyes. "I am so sorry Sunset Shimmer I wish there was more I could do for you."

Sunset Shimmer's possible future shattered like glass. Sunset finally realized that the one thing she didn't know she wanted, was now the one thing she that she couldn't have. The young mare grasped for whatever shards she could as the anguish wrapped her heart in its icy embrace.

********************

Shadow woke with a start, sitting up fast only to collapse back to the bed from a searing pain in his side. Shadow's gaze fell to his bandaged middle, watching as the white gauze turn red with his blood. "What the heck happened? Where am I?"

"Those are both good questions my little pony," said a calming voice.

"Who the frack are you?" asked Shadow glaring at the pink alicorn.

The stranger showed no sign of anger or resentment towards Shadow's rudeness. Instead the pink alicorn smiled. As shadow cautiously watched the newcomer, he felt his anxiety flow away.

"Oh, where are my manners I am Princess Cadance, ruler of the crystal empire. You are currently under house arrest in Princess Twilight Sparkle's castle."

"That's awesome, but I can't stay here I have to find Sunset and rescue Trixie!" muttered Shadow.

The stallion attempted to lift himself off the bed wincing in pain with each movement.

"I am afraid I can't let you leave right now?"

"Why is that... princess?" snarled Shadow.

Cadance remained smiling as she spoke. "I heard you were a raging nightmare and gave Celestia and Luna quite the thrashing and that is no small feat. So, until the rulers of Equestria deem you are not a threat I am to watch over you and make sure you remain inside Twilight's castle."

"If Celestia and Luna couldn't stop me together what chance do you have?" said Shadow with a haughty smile.

"Oh, you are in no condition to go anywhere. In fact, as we speak you have already reopened your wounds."

"Grrr... damn it you got me there!" grumbled Shadow.

"Well can you at least let me see Sunset?"

"That I cannot do either."

Shadow felt the anger deep within him start to boil forth. The stallion's fuchsia eyes narrowed as tiny specks of flame began to flicker at the corner of his eyes. Cadance stepped back her smile faltering a bit, unsure of what to say or do. Taking a calming breath, the alicorn spoke "Please calm down and let me explain."

Shadow silently nodded keeping his stare transfixed on Cadance.

"Your friend Sunset Shimmer isn't here... she is at the hospital in Ponyville."

"Nooooo!" shouted Shadow.

"Don't worry Twilight has informed me that Sunset is alive and is currently resting. So even if you went all nightmare again and blasted your way out, Sunset is in no condition to move. She may be alive, but she is not out of the woods yet. Besides as I mentioned before you are pretty battered up yourself."

Shadow couldn't argue with the logic of Cadance's statement. Slowly the dancing flames in Shadow's eyes flickered out only to be replaced by glistening tears.

The room fell into silence for several minutes before Cadance shattered the quiet.

"I can't blame you for losing yourself to your rage. Love has a strange way of influencing us when the ones we care about are in danger. Sunset must be very import to you and from the way she extinguished you flames I do believe she feels the same way about you."

Shadow just stared at Cadance with a skeptical look.

"Don't worry everything will work out and you can see Sunset soon. Besides Celestia isn't one to hold a grudge for long. But you may find yourself in another duel with her again. She doesn't like to lose," said Cadance with a gentle giggle.

Cadance assumed Shadow's continued silence was due to his sadness and worry for Sunset but the pink alicorn was only half right. Something she had said clicked in the young stallion's brain. Shadow's eyes widened in realization "Can that really be the answer?"

********************

A full week went by before Shadow was able to finally get up and move around again without reopening his wounds. Even that feat was not a comfort. With each awkward step the unicorn took, needles of pain stabbed his side. " If Sunset could endure, then so can I."

On his tenth day in Equestria Shadow could go see Sunset, but only under Twilight's supervision.

"Cadance lied... Celestia does hold a grudge. Even after she says that I am free to go, that Snart for brains stick in the mud has someone stalking me," spat Shadow, glaring at Twilight.

"To be fair, you not only thrashed the rulers of Equestria but you also threatened to destroy them if they got in your way. If Cadance had not stepped in on your behalf Princess Celestia would have packed your rump to Tartarus. So instead of chastising Cadance you should probably thank her," replied Twilight nonchalantly.

"I was strong enough to defeat Celestia... would that place even be enough to hold me?" asked Shadow skeptically.

"Who knows? I guess we can postpone this visit to Sunset to find out," said Twilight stopping and sharing a devilish smile with Shadow.

"That would be counterproductive to saving Trixie."

"I agree so shall we continue?" said Twilight.

Shadow nodded in agreement. With Twilight trotting on his left flank the pair made their way to the Ponyville Hospital.

********************

The lights were turned off shrouding the room in perpetual darkness while Sunset lie in the hospital bed with her back to the door. The atmosphere in the hospital room was ripe with depression and self-pity as well as a lingering odor that reeked like unwashed feet. Shadow covered his nose while Twilight knocked.

"Hey Sunset, I have some good news the doctor gave you a clean bill of health and I also brought a friend," said Twilight acting cheerful.

"Please just go away Twi... I don't want to see anyone" said Sunset with a raspy voice.

Twilight looked to Shadow with a concerned expression. With a deep sigh Shadow braved the murky realm. "Who would have guessed that Sunset Shimmer would be all lame and mopey with self-pity while her friend was a prisoner."

"Go away Shadow I want to see you least of all," said Sunset.

Shadow tapped Twilight and pointed towards the curtains with his horn. Twilight nodded with understanding. The room filled with blinding light. Sunset grumbled, pulling the blanket over her face with her levitation magic. Shadow sensed the subtle shift in Sunset's aura and tapped into it.

"Not happening Sunshim!" came the reply as Shadow levitated the blanket off Sunset. The young mare released a hiss as she squinted against the agonizing light.

"I know what you are trying to do, and it won’t work. You can't goad me into leaving..." said Sunset not showing any emotion.

Sunset turned from her friends shoving her face into the pillow. Shadow using his borrowed magic yanked the pillow away. The mare's face rebounded of the bouncy mattress. With a sudden spark of anger, the fiery haired unicorn glared at her assailant. Shadow took his antics to the next level. Before any pony could react, Sunset levitated off the bed as it slid across the floor. Seconds later Sunset hit the floor with a loud "thump." Shadow ignored the growl from his companion and levitated a bucket of soapy mop water into the room and released it over Sunset. The deluge of water soaked the mare from head to tail.



"Good now that you smell better you Snart for brains follow me. I need to run some experiments and I need a lab rat."

"Um... Shadow maybe you shouldn't provoke her anymore. I believe you got the desired response," squeaked Twilight backing away.

The slight twinge of anger inside Sunset erupted into a fiery inferno. Radiant red and blue flames flickered from her eyes and horn. Sunset engulfed in fire, focused her seething gaze onto Shadow. "You... horse's...ASS!"

"Fancy that!" chuckled Shadow.

Shadow felt a shift in the air as Sunset unknowingly drew from his essence, enhancing herself. Shadow then reciprocated by borrowing from his companion's well of energy. Purple flames licked at Shadow's hooves as the telltale signs of fire flickered in his eyes.

Twilight looked from the seething visage of Sunset to Shadow who was grinning from ear to ear. "Wait... he is smiling. Even though they have both transformed into nightmares, Shadow seems to be in control. Fascinating." The lavender alicorn silently watched with increasing curiosity at the exchange between the nightmares.

"Success!" Echoed Shadow's ethereal voice.

Sunset pawed the floor with her right hoof. Shadow slowly cantered over to his companion, wincing in pain as Sunset's blazing horn pierced his ethereal body. Silver wisps of essence erupted from his left shoulder. Ignoring the pain Shadow pressed his face to his companions. Where the nightmares' horns crossed a single red thread winked into existence and then vanished.

"We were right Sunshim... there was more to it than that. The experiment was a success," whispered Shadow with a soothing voice.

Sunset blinked and for the first time in days felt more like herself.

"I hate you," said Sunset.

Shadow just smiles.

The flames surrounding the couple danced for several minutes before finally extinguishing.

"I am... broken... and useless... Why?" asked Sunset.

"You really are a Snart for brains. You're not the only one who is broken" replied Shadow with a sad smile.

********************

"Ahem!" coughed Twilight. "I don't mean to be the wet blanket here but maybe we should go before the hospital staff notices the scorch marks and burnt furniture."

"My assistant SciTwi has a point," chuckled Shadow.

"Assistant? SciTwi? I am neither of those things," scoffed Twilight Sparkle.

Sunset and Shadow share a quiet laugh at the alicorn's expense.

As the trio stepped outside the hospital, they heard a loud scream, "What in Celestia's name happened in here."

Twilight looked to the unicorn couple with a distressed expression on her face. "I suggest we make haste back to my castle... and... um let us keep this little incident to ourselves."

Shadow and Sunset nodded in agreement as they hurried after the alicorn.

********************

Back at Twilight's crystal castle Starswirl and the strongest magic users were discussing the newest threat to Equestria.

"We need to know our enemy! Please fill us in Starswirl" said Celestia using her royal voice.

Author's Note:

Here it is finally finished chapter 11. I have been told my writing is getting better. But it only took 11 chapters. Well to all those ready and following please enjoy and as always please comment and let me know what you think. Author Lulamoon sighning off. Till next chapter.