• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

...Future?

Author's Note:

Here is the next chapter please enjoy.

A bright yellow moon cast its gleaming light down upon the Crystal Empire while stars glittered in the clear winter sky. Iridescent Dusk silently crept through the dark alley avoiding lighted windows and the occasional alley cat. Even though she was using her ghosting ability, Ira was overly cautious. The dark violet unicorn paused, listening for impending danger. Her breath wafted out as a misty cloud in the bitter evening air. The frozen city remained quiet except for the loud voice from her sister Aurora Breeze. "Damn it! Ira show yourself."

Ira, grumbling in frustration, dropped her ghosting right next to her sister.

"Can you be any louder Aubree? I don't think the entire city heard you," said Iridescent venomously.

"Oh, for fracks sake! How many times have I told you not to drop your invisibility right next to me," said the startled yellow mare.

"Ghosting; doofus."

"What's the difference Ira?" asked Aubree shrugging.

"If I was invisible, I could go unseen in the daylight hours."

"Like that matters Ira. When the sun is up you look like a hazy spirit. Who would even go near you?"

"I wouldn't know because I am stuck with you," muttered Ira.

"Don't be a bitch Ira. I am here for the same reason you are."

"I wonder... When the time comes will you be able to do the deed?"

"Really Ira? You're the one with the kitten fetish! I would worry more about your own resolve. BIG SISTER!" scoffed Aurora.

"You swore that you wouldn't bring that up," said Ira raising her voice.

"Oh no; my sister is afraid to show her caring side," taunted Aubree.

Iridescent feeling the building rage silently turned, cantering away from her sister.

"Wait up Ira. You know I can't keep up with you on the ground."

"That's because you're weak," said Ira seething as flecks of green fire danced in her sky-blue eyes.

"No, it’s because you refuse to let me fly."

"Do you know what would happen if an unknown alicorn was seen? Especially in the Crystal Empire of all places."

"Yea... yea... At least I would get to see her again," said Aurora with a defeated expression.

Ira felt her anger subside as she gazed at her younger sister. With Tear filled eyes she replied,” I know Aubree... I know."

********************

Elsewhere

"I love Uncle Shining Armor, but he sure can talk,” said Twinkle.

"He wasn't as bad as my mother... If I had to listen to one more baby story, I would have leveled the castle."

"Oh, lighten up drama queens. They were not that bad. I liked all the embarrassing stories about the alicorn princesses," said Zany with a mischievous laugh.

Both mares glared at Zany, causing the half-breed to laugh even harder.

"Next time I see Fluttershy or Discord I will ask them to recount some wild tales about you," scoffed Flurry Heart.

"Nice try Flutter Nutter, any storys my parents may have won't embarrass me. I do however have some dirt that will embarrass them," said Zany holding his cheshire grin.

"I bet Screwball would have some great stories," said Twinkle nonchalantly.

Zany dropped his smile as he tried to deflect his girlfriend. "You don't even like my sister Twinkle Toes."

"Oh Lamey! I like your sister just fine. I said I didn't like talking to her because we don't have anything in common. Besides... YOU!" replied Twinkle with wicked grin.

"Hmm... I really need to rethink this whole dating thing," muttered Zany.

Zany remained quiet for the remainder of the time, until the trio reached the library. "Well shall we continue our adventure?"

"I refuse to let the game end with me unconscious," said Flurry.

Sitting around the small oak table the friends continued.

"It’s your turn oh Eridimus the Wacky. What will you do?" asked Twinkle Sparkle.

"I don't have any spells strong enough to open this door so I will cast summon ally," replied Zany.

The young half-breed gestured with a flourish of his hands and some fancy words. The lights in the library dimmed as the air was sucked from the room. It became hard for the friends to breath while time came to a standstill. A black hole slowly emerged. It expanded, stretching out across the floor like a molten volcano. Flurry Heart cast a spell of her own. The pink alicorn's horn glowed with a yellow aura, enveloping the trio in a shield bubble. Three ethereal red strings appeared from each of them only to disappear into the dark void.

"Zany what in Celestia's name have you done?" shouted Twinkle.

"I have no idea! My power has never been strong enough to cause a black hole," replied Zany with a worried expression on his face.

********************

Iridescent Dusk leaned against the wall of a nearby house watching from the shadows as the guards patrolled the castle's front gate. The young mare studied every step the guards took gauging the time she and Aurora would need to sneak past undetected. Ira didn't have long to wait as her patience was rewarded. The clear starry night sky ripped open right above the castle as flashes of prismatic lightning streaked across the sky with loud booming sounds. With a quick flash of red the hole was gone. The guards paused as they watched the spectacle. "All available guards to the throne room," came a shout for somepony unseen.

"Aubree its time!" said Ira with a cold and calm expression.

Aurora Breeze stared at her sister's determined expression and nodded. when the last guard vanished behind the closing gate the sisters made their move. A green aura emanated from Aubree's horn, holding the gate in place with telekinesis. Ira galloped for the gate skidding beneath it to the other side. With her sister clear Aurora ducked under and released her magic. The loud resounding "crash!" masked the duo's footsteps as they crept further into the castle.

********************

Twilight's Crystal Castle

Shadow stalked through the halls seething, from Sunset's disregard for his feelings.

"After all that we have been through how could she use me like that?"

The young stallion stopped in front of an open door. Peering inside Shadow gaped in awe at the site. Twenty-foot-tall shelves were arranged around the room covering every wall. The wooden shelves were lined from top to bottom with more books than he had ever seen. The first time Shadow was in this room he and Sunset had entered through the mirror portal and crashed into a pile of books. Then soon after were escorted out due to smelling like trash. Shadow took his time examining the library in all its grandeur. Off in the corn of the room was the mirror that had landed him in Equestria. The stallion's attention was pulled from the portal towards the center of the room when Twilight spoke to him. "Good morning Shadow. I didn't expect to see you here so early in the morning. Especially without Sunset." Shadow cringed at the mention of Sunset. Twilight quickly picked up on Shadow's reaction.

"Oh no! Did something happen between you two?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"If you share with me, I will share what I know about this," said Twilight pointing to the contents on the cloth covered table with her right hoof.

Strewn across the table's surface was an open brown saddle bag, a journal with a symbol that matched Sunset Shimmer's cutie mark and several glass obsidian shards.

"Is that the spider that was involved with Trixie's accident?" asked Shadow.

"Yes," replied Twilight.

Shadow glared at Twilight for a moment then after a heavy sigh said, "yeah something did happen."

"What?"

"The bitch used me, then ripped out my heart. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED!"

Twilight stepped back from the loud outburst and with a sorrowful expression said, "I am sorry Shadow."

The alicorn's sincere sadness washed over Shadow, quelling his anger.

"It isn't your fault. I was the idiot who had sex with Sunset."

"You ... what?" Twilight choked, blushing at Shadow's bluntness.

The Princess of Friendship opened her mouth to say more but stopped. The light in the room dimmed. Blue cloudless skies outside the window, darkened as prismatic lightening danced. The room turned stifling making it hard to breath. The two ponies watched in horror as a black hole opened beside Shadow.

"Oh... shit!" said Shadow as he slid across the floor towards the portal.

The stallion grabbed a hold of the table as he passed by it. That only bought him a second or two as the black hole grew. Twilight tried using her telekinesis, attempting to pull the stallion to her. The portal was stronger. Shadow slid once again towards impending doom. The contents on the table flew off, colliding with the unicorn. Several of the glass shards sliced the stallion's flesh as they passed by while the Journal crashed into his face, causing Shadow to let go. Twilight lunged for her him but was a moment too late. The lavender alicorn crashed to the floor with a resounding "thump!" The wind rushed from her lungs with a soft "whoosh!" When Twilight righted herself Shadow and the contents of the table were gone, sucked into the vortex.

"SPIKE I NEED YOU!" shouted Twilight, galloping out of the library.

********************

Sunset Shimmer lie on her bed, wrapped in soaked sheets. Her chest heaved as she continued to sob.

The shout "Sunset," followed by several pounding sounds from her bedroom door startled the unicorn. Sunset ignoring the interruption, placed her head under the pillow.

"SUNSET SHIMMER I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE!"

"Go away, Twilight."

Upon hearing her friend's muffled voice, the alicorn banged on the door again. "Sunset open up. We need to talk..."

"If it’s about Shadow I have nothing to say. So just go away."

Twilight hesitated before speaking, "I am not here to talk about what happened last night..."

"I don't care leave me alone," shouted Sunset.

"So, you don't care that Shadow could possibly have been killed?" Twilight spat back.

The hallway remained silent for several minutes and just when Twilight was going to leave the twin doors cracked open, revealing a very disheveled and distraught Sunset. "This better not be a trick Twi, or you will regret it." Twilight wrapped her friend in a gentle embrace. Hesitantly Sunset returned the hug. "Twi?" said Sunset as she felt the wetness of tears on her shoulder as Twilight cried.

"I... I am so sorry Sunset... I tried to save Shadow... but... it wasn't enough," said Twilight through wracking sobs.

"Twilight... What happened?" asked Sunset panicked; pushing her friend away.

Twilight, gazed into Sunset's aqua eyes, hyperventilating.

"Breath Twilight," said Sunset calmly.

The Princess of Friendship settled down with a reassuring squeeze from her friend.

"A vortex appeared out of nowhere and swallowed Shadow."

Sunset felt the onrush of fresh tears drip from her cheeks. "Oh, Celestia what have I done."

********************

Shadow fell through time and space; distorted images flew past. As the stallion continued his decent, he focused on one of the images. Shadow watched in horror as molten rocks rained from the sky, crashing down all around him while he cradled a dark violet unicorn.

"I was the weak one... Aubree," said the dying unicorn.

Shadow had no time to consider the implications of this image as the vortex opened and spat him out.

********************

Flurry Heart shook up, jumped as a light blue unicorn crashed into her shield like a bird flying into a closed window. The pony remained there for a moment before slowly sliding down it like a cartoon character.

"Zany is he a friend of yours?" asked Twinkle scrunching her eyes inquisitively.

"Never met him before now."

"Nice work Lamey," Chided Flurry.

"We should check to see if he is alright," said Twinkle.

"I vote for Flutter Nutter," said zany pointing to the pink alicorn.

Flurry glared at the half-breed. "This isn't a democracy you Snart for brains."

"You are the oldest," said Twinkle stating the obvious.

"Fine... Whatever," grumbled Flurry.

Flurry Heart releasing her shield bubble cautiously prodded the stranger with her left hoof. "Hey are you alright?" Flurry turned to her friends and shrugged "I think he is dead." The trio jumped when the stranger stirred.

********************

"What the frack hit me?" said Shadow rubbing his head as he stood. Disoriented, Shadow opened his eyes to see three new faces staring back at him. As the stallion tried to focus on the trio they kept moving like the images in a kaleidoscope.

"Stop moving," grumbled shadow.

"Um... we are not moving," said the pink alicorn.

"Have a seat," said the younger female guiding Shadow to a chair at the gaming table.

Shadow slumped into the offered seat, resting his head on the cool flat table surface. Some time passed before Shadow's vision cleared. The stallion groaned when he saw the two new alicorns. "Oh, lucky me. Two more spoiled princesses to be annoyed by."

"Who do you think you are? You don't even know us and you're already judging," scoffed Flurry.

"Your snooty attitude proves I am right."

"Bwahahaha he got you there, Flurry Heart," laughed Zany at his friend’s expense.

"Silence knave," said Flurry seething with rage.

"I think we started off on the wrong hoof. How about everypony just calm down," said Twinkle.

All those present stared at the purple alicorn and after several seconds, silently nodded.

Shadow was the first to break the silence. "Where am I, and who are you three?

"You are in the Crystal Empire's castle library. I am Princess Twinkle Sparkle. The goofy one is my special some pony, Zany Prince of Chaos and the spoiled one is my cousin, Princess Flurry Heart."

"Really Twinkle... I expect this abuse from Zany, not you."

"Sorry Flurry."

"Now that you know who we are... thanks to my blabber mouth of a cousin. What do we call you oh rude one?" asked Flurry with a haughty sneer.

My name is Shadow Lulamoon. Your attitude is grating on my nerves. I suggest pulling the stick out of your ass and treat me with a bit of respect."

"Attitude you’re the one with the..." said Flurry, interrupted by the castle guards as they rushed through the library doors.

"Give yourself up, intruder you're under arrest!" shouted the guards, pointing spears at Shadow.

"Like hell I will. Drop your spears or the spoiled princess gets it."

Shadow shot out of his chair like lighting, grabbing Flurry Heart. The young stallion's heart fluttered as he drew Flurry closer. "What the heck is this feeling?" thought Shadow.

Flurry struggled for an instant before she felt her heart skip a beat. "Why do feel warm."

Everypony stepped back from the pair as purple and yellow lightening leapt out of their horns, enveloping them in electricity.

"What is going on in here?" said a stern male voice.

All heads turned to see Shining Armor followed by his wife Princess Cadance enter the room. The royal couple seeing their daughter held hostage shouted in unison. "FLURRY HEART!"

"Release my daughter this instant or else," said Shining, glaring at Shadow.

"I know how this game plays out. Not happening," growled Shadow.

"Take me hostage instead and release my daughter," said Cadance with a determined expression.

"Daughter? Cadance when we talked at Twilight's castle you said your daughter was a baby. I never thought that you would lie to me."

"Twinkle, honey did your mother upgrade to a castle?"

"No aunt Cadance. Mom still owns the library in Ponyville."

"Mom? Twilight never mentioned having a kid or even being married. Where did that vortex bring me?" demanded Shadow in bewilderment.

"If you don't release my daughter a vortex will be the least of you worries," said Shining, single minded.

The electricity running through her body filled Flurry with warmth. While her captor's attention was occupied with her parents Flurry Heart gazed into his fuchsia eyes. In that moment she knew she shared some special connection with this stranger.

"FATHER ENOUGH!" said Flurry using her royal voice.

All eyes turned to the new interruption.

"We were in the middle of our role-playing game when you and your guards, interrupted."

"Wait so you’re not really a hostage?" asked Cadance.

"No!" Flurry spoke with finality.

"What?" asked Shadow.

"Just play along. Snart for brains," whispered Flurry.

"Oh... wait a minute so are we still role playing here?" Shadow replied.

Flurry glanced over to Twinkle and Zany, both of whom proceeded to act.

"Wow Flurry, your you and Shadow really know how to play your roles," replied Twinkle.

"Yea I do believe it’s your turn again Flurry," added Zany.

"I will roll the dice as soon as my parents take their peons and leave," growled Flurry glaring at Cadance and Shining Armor.

Cadance, not believing her daughter for one second, stared into her blue eyes. Seeing Flurry's conviction, Cadance released a defeated sigh, ushering her husband and his militia out the door.

With a soft smile Cadance nodded, gently shutting the door.

Flurry waited to speak until the hoof falls of the guards could no longer be heard. Then she faced her captor.

"You owe me!"

Shadow just stared at the spoiled alicorn. "This can't be good."