• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Nightmares!

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay the new chapter is now up. Things look rather grim for everypony. Enjoy.

The snow filled sky crackled with otherworldly energy. Time came to a standstill for Flurry Heart as she watched Shadow's transformation with rapt attention. Her curiosity piqued when two red strands appeared connecting Shadow to Ira and Aubree. A third thread appeared as purple flames danced around Shadow. The new strand rose into the sky disappearing out of sight.

"That strand is crimson. Does that me he has a soulmate?" thought Flurry.

With each pulse of the purple flames Flurry Heart felt more energized. The pink alicorn dropped her ears in pain when Shadow's ethereal voice echoed loudly as he tried reasoning with Aubree. Aurora Breeze lost in her throws of power, was currently unreachable.

Aubree attacked first as she took flight. Ice shards rained down upon Shadow. The nightmare unicorn dodged to the left as most of the shards impacted on the frozen street. The few remaining icicles sizzled and melted as they struck Shadow leaving a few bruises. The stallion hissed in pain from the cold bite of the ice.

Aurora flew around launching more ice from her vantage point while Shadow evaded and thought up a plan. The nightmare Alicorn tried and failed to freeze the ground as Shadow's fiery footfalls melted it.

"Damn it! I need to think of something... before either of us uses to much astral essence and dies." Shadow surveying his surroundings spotted a wagon with crates parked in a side alley. "If I can bring her down to my level, I can end this." Shadow remembered what Sunset Shimmer had said about levitation and slowed his breathing. Feeling his internal flow of magic Shadow willed the contents of the wagon to float. A purple aura appeared around the crates as they lifted into the air. The nightmare unicorn wrenched his horn in the direction of Aubree. Three wooden boxes soared towards the flying alicorn. Not stopping Shadow leapt into the wagon and lifted it with his levitation. With a burst of magic, the wagon riding unicorn flew through the snowy sky towards Aurora Breeze.

Aubree flew to the right dodging the crates. Solely focused on the crates Aurora didn't see the wagon until it was right on top of her. Acting on instinct Aubree released an energy blast from her glowing ice blue horn. Shadow jumped just as the magic hit. The wagon splintered into millions of sharp wooden shards. The smallest slivers turned to harmless ash while the larger pieces caught fire as they contacted Shadow's flames. Shadow crashed into the nightmare alicorn followed by the burning projectiles. Flaming shrapnel pierced flesh causing minor burns and open wounds. Dislodged from the swirling snowstorm the pair of nightmares smashed through an upper story window. Tiny shards of glass glinted in the glow of flames as they joined the crystalline snow on the ground. Smoke started to billow out of the top story of the house as fire licked up the wooden sides of the building like a lit matchstick. Flurry heard several screams from inside as a family of four ran out of the burning building.

Astral essence drained from several open wounds on Aubree's body. Her once bright yellow coat was burned and scorched. The alicorn wobbled on shaking legs as she stood. Aurora's left wing bruised but still functioning was folded up against her body while he right wing hung broken and limp, dragging across the floor. Aubree's vision focused on Shadow as she stared daggers at the unicorn. "You are more resourceful and harder to kill than your eldest gave you credit for," said Aubree seething with rage.

********************

Flurry watched with horror as the fight between the two nightmares began. The pink alicorn had to dodge and take cover as ice exploded around her. Shadow galloped through the streets weaving to and fro. The stallion, concentrating on not becoming the next ice skewered pony was oblivious to the landscape around himself. Anywhere Shadow's hooves stepped the ground burned. Within moments of the battle the streets were aglow with dancing flames that refracted blue, purple and fuchsia through the frozen city. Flurry Heart hearing the noise of broken glass followed by the screams of the home's residents, ran to the aid of the civilians. The alicorn princess guided the frightened family a safe distance away before releasing a magical signal from her horn that represented a cry for help. The yellow ball exploded like a firework display with a loud boom. "Now I need to see what I can do here until assistance arrives." Flurry looked around with sadness as she watched her city begin to burn.

********************

Shadow felt the sting of pain as splinters of wood and glass bit into his astral body. The unicorn heard the shattering of glass and felt the hard surface of a floor as he landed and rolled into a wall. Shadow shook the daze from head as his blurry vision cleared. "I guess that wasn't the most thought out plan," muttered Shadow as he weakly regained his footing. The stallion crouched in a more defensive posture as the still form of his opponent stood up. Aubree taking the brunt of the damage from their collision was a mangled mess. Shadow stared at the young mare in utter amazement. "With all of her wounds and loss of essence, how is she still functioning?" complained Shadow as Aubree stood there with a wicked smile plastered on her face. The alicorn's horn glowed blue, indicating to Shadow that a spell was coming. Shadow leapt into action shrugging off the pain of his essence leaking wounds. A dozen or so icicles struck the floor where the stallion stood just a moment before. The unicorn weaved left and right trying to confuse his enemy as her rushed towards her.

********************

Aurora breeze felt a wave of panic wash over her as Shadow got closer. Switching her spell from offensive to defensive Aubree erected a force shield.

Sensing the change in the flow of magic Shadow focused his flames towards the front of his charge as he collided with his opponent's shield. The barrier glowed a molten red for a second before the unicorn sliced through it. Aubree released a blood curdling scream as a searing pain scorched her left flank. The young mare's cry cut Shadow to his core. All the stallion wanted to do at this point was to protect her, not let any more harm come to her. "I need to finish this now... before either of us dies," thought Shadow.

Rage and desperation filled Aurora as she charged up her magic. Shadow's brief pause was all the opening the alicorn needed as she released a powerful shock wave that blasted Shadow through the wall into the street. The concussive force toppled the building on top of Aubree. Debris rained down upon Aurora burying her in an avalanche of wood and stone.

********************

Flurry Heart heard Aubree's wail of pain and stopped what she was doing. Flurry was filled with a need to protect the yellow alicorn as she turned and galloped in the direction of Aurora. The princess reared back as Shadow exploded from the wall on her right. The stallion hit the ground with a thud, bounced twice before hitting the wall across the street. Nightmare flames extinguished; Shadow futility attempted to stand up but slipped on a patch of ice as the burning building buried Aubree.

Flurry screamed in anguish as Aurora vanished beneath the rubble. Flurry was torn between digging out Aubree or assisting Shadow. "Why is this choice so difficult? I don't even know anything about Aubree... While me and Shadow have a special bond."

Flurry was wrenched from her thoughts as the debris pile shifted and fell away, revealing Aurora. The yellow alicorn glowed an eerie ice blue as astral essence poured out of her many wounds. "YOU FRACKING FOOL! YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS!" Shouted Aubree.

Aubree concentrated her remaining energy into one final spell as her yellow horn glowed brighter. Feeling the shift of magic once again Shadow tried to move but remained unsuccessful. "So, this is how I die," thought Shadow. A wave of calmness washed over the unicorn as he accepted his fate. "I deserve this!"

Aubree released her destructive spell.

Flurry Heart shouted, "AUBREE STOP!" as she took the discharged spell head on. The pink alicorn gazed down at Shadow with a saddened smile. "You damn fool! ... You're not allowed to give up yet... Your sister still remains... unsaved," whispered a tear-stricken Flurry Heart.

With her final words Flurry Heart collapsed to the ground.

"FLURRY HEART!"

Shadow's wail rang out across the frozen landscape. Filled with a surge of borrowed power from Flurry, Shadow stood. Yellow lightning flowed around him like a thunderstorm as tiny bolts of electricity danced in his eyes. The Unicorn unknowingly released a raw blast of yellow lightning. The electricity exploded forth leveling three empty buildings as it searches for its' intended target.

********************

Aurora Breeze watched helplessly as Flurry Heart collapsed, charred and injured.

Aubree snapped back to her senses as she released an anguished cry, "NOOOOOOO! What have I done?"

Before the yellow alicorn could react a blast of lightening hit her. Aubree flew several feet through the air, landing in a smoking heap among the frozen cobblestone.

********************

Twinkle Sparkle startled by a loud explosion fell out her chair. Rushing towards the library window Twinkle and Zany watched with horror as magic and fire engulfed the city.

"Isn't that where Flurry took Shadow?" asked Zany looking to his girlfriend.

Twinkle, noticing the yellow signal spell nodded and said, "Flurry needs our help."

The young couple galloped out of the library.

********************

Twinkle and Zany ran through the frozen ruined streets passed burning buildings and scattered debris. The area was empty of life until the couple's gaze fell upon the area of destruction with abject horror. Three still forms lie strewn in the rubble Twinkle's cousin Flurry, among them. Shadow electrically charged stood over them.

"By Celestia's beard what happened here?" said Zany.

"Shadow step Away from Flurry Heart!" shouted a tear-stricken Twinkle.

"I can't do that," replied Shadow with a sad expression as astral essence flowed out of him, into the three unconscious ponies.

"You will pay for this... monster!" growled Zany preparing to cast his chaotic magic.

"Wait a moment... he isn't attacking them. He appears to be sustaining them with astral energy," said Twinkle, halting Zany with her right hoof.

"I don't understand bookworm speech, Twinkle Toes," muttered Zany.

Twinkle rolled her eyes in frustration.

"The blue wisps of energy that are leaving Shadow are astral essence. The transfer of energy is keeping them alive," said Twinkle.

"Well it's a good thing you stopped me," said Zany.

********************

Shadow looked to the young couple with pleading eyes and said, "I have reached my limit... I leave the rest to you."

The unicorn's form became transparent, fading away.

"Hold on," replied Twinkle casting a spell to hold Shadow's molecules together.

Stabilized, Shadow slumped to the frozen, drifting off, into a deep slumber.

"Zany we have to hurry and get them to the castle... before they die," said Twinkle.

********************

Twilight Sparkle's Castle

Over a month had passed in the present timeline since the communication journal had received a new message. By now most of Sunset's close pony friends knew about the pregnancy. Even if she wanted, the unicorn was unable to hide her visibly growing belly. Sunset paced across the library floor mumbling, "Why haven't we heard anything? Twinkle should have replied with a message by now."

"Sunset please settle down all of this stress isn't conducive to your health or the baby," said Twilight.

"I can't help it Twi."

"I have an idea," said Twilight.

"What is that?"

"I believe I may have deciphered the right formula and if my calculations are correct, which they usually are. I think we can travel to the alternate future and bring Shadow back."

"Really?" said a hopeful Sunset.

"Yep... but we will need some assistance from some other scientists."

"I can go back to the human world and get Human, Twilight and or Dr. Hooves," interjected Sunset.

"Great idea, but with you being pregnant I don't want you going through the portal. Who knows what the transformation will do to you or your unborn child. I will go in your place."

"Twi, you don't have to do that... We will be fine."

"Too much is at stake to gamble on chance. I am playing the princess card. You will remain in Equestria and speak with Dr. Hooves."

"Great now I am a dog on a fetch quest," muttered Sunset.

********************

Twilight Sparkle was working on making the portal mirror to allow access to the alternate future, where Shadow now resided. The lavender alicorn returned from the human world. Alternate, Twilight and Dr. Hooves followed shortly after to assist with the portal.

"Whoa!" Crash, bang, crack! Alternate Twilight exited the portal like a shot gun shell, slamming into a book shelf. Her glasses hit the ground with a clatter. Just as she was getting up her eccentric physics teacher landed on top of her, knocking Twilight bad to the ground.

"Wow! Multidimensional Travel, Fancy That."

"Ooof! You sure are heavy. Please get off," grumbled Twilight.

"Oh, sorry my dear... Ms. Sparkle is that you?" asked Doctor Hooves gawking at the pastel, talking unicorn in from of him.

"Yes! I am, Twilight Sparkle, from your physics class," replied SciTwi, feeling around for her glasses.

"What are you trying to do, Ms. Sparkle?"

"I'm trying to find my glasses so I can see... BUT SOME ONE HEAVY, WON'T GET OFF."

"Well I am sorry, but there is no need for you to be snippy, SciTwi."

"Grrrr! My name is not SciTwi!" Frustrated, Twilight groaned, slapping her forehead. "Why is he even here?"

"There is no pony better than The Doctor to help with dimension hopping. He is the leading most physicist, studying of parallel universes," interjected Princess Twilight.

"Try sitting through first period with him every day! A dung beetle would be more useful than him," mocked Twilight.

********************

The Twilights' with the help of Sunset Shimmer accomplished more by themselves than with the aid of the eccentric Doctors'. During one moment of annoyance and frustration the hormone induced Sunset shouted "THAT IS IT... IF I HAVE TO HERE ONE MORE FANCY THAT COMMENT SOMETHING IS GOING TO DIE!"

"Sunset you need to breath," replied Alternate Twilight, now a lavender unicorn.

"SciTwi is right. Sunset you are letting your pregnant, hormonal, induced, brain rule your logic," said Princess Twilight.

"Ugh... even here... My name isn't SciTwi," grumbled the unicorn.

"To be fair the name helps to determine us apart," said the alicorn.

"I am a purple unicorn without wings, unlike you!" scoffed SciTwi.

"True, but I think the nickname is endearing."

"That doesn't make me feel any better," pouted SciTwi.

"I am Princess of this castle... so the nickname stays."

"Why do you sound so condescending right now?" muttered Alternate Twi.

Sunset glaring at the pair, released a frustrated sigh and sternly raised her voice. "Guys I need you to focus. Twilight if you don't do something about the Doctors' I promise you I will burn them to a crisp."

"Alright... sheesh don't get your tail in tail in a knot," pouted SciTwi.

"What is that supposed to mean?" glared Sunset.

"You are mean when you're pregnant," said the unicorn, sheepishly.

"Do you think I asked to be pregnant?"

"You did cry over not being able to experience that vision... which led to you having that intimate encounter with Shadow," chided Princess Twilight.

Sunset turned her wrathful gaze to the alicorn. "No one asked you Princess!"

"I think I prefer raging she demon Sunset over pregnant Sunset," muttered the alicorn.

"Did you say something?" asked Sunset lowering her eyebrows.

"Ummm... I said we can take it from here. So why don't you go take a nap. When you return everything should be ready to go," said the princess.

Crash, clang, katunk! "Oops my bad!" "No that was my bad!" "Well fancy that!"

"REALLY!" Princess Twilight shouted.

Sunset gave the alicorn an, "I told you so" look.

"Go to bed already!" glowered Twilight.

"I am a bit tired... if you're sure? ... I don't want to leave you guys high and dry," said Sunset, her facial expression demurer.

"We got this," said the two purple ponies in unison.

Sunset took one final look at the creepy, smiling ponies. Nodding her head, the pregnant unicorn cantered out of the library.