• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 553 Views, 22 Comments

Fate's Shadow! - Shadow_lulamoon



Misfortune follows Shadow and his companions. Through these trials Shadow may find his purpose.

  • ...
3
 22
 553

Fated Meetings!

Author's Note:

Well here it is Chapter 14. This chapter is a bit more light hearted and the ground work has been layed for the next part of the story. As always enjoy.

Twilight's castle, Present Day

"Twilight I need you to breath. Think back. Tell me what happened. Start from the beginning, and don't leave out any details. The smallest thing may help us get Shadow back," said Sunset.

Twilight paced the library floor as she relived the incident. When she reached the part about the journal knocking Shadow into the portal Sunset jump from her seated position.

"My journal that's great news."

"I fail to see how that is good news," muttered Twilight.

"Twi, my communication journal!"

"Wait... Do you think it got sucked into the vortex with Shadow?"

"There is only one way to find out. I need your journal Twilight."

"Let me run to my room to get it."

Twilight galloped out of the library to retrieve her journal while Sunset waited. The few minutes Twilight was gone seemed like hours to Sunset as her mind wandered to the other night she shared with Shadow. "I am probably the last pony he would want to hear from, but I can't think about that. Right now, I need to focus on getting him back and then..."

"I'm back," said Twilight interrupting Sunset's thoughts.

Sunset nearly tackled Twilight to the ground as she snatched the journal from her friend, opening it on the table. Choosing her words carefully Sunset began to write.

Shadow if you're there please respond when you get this message... I need to know if you're safe.

Sunset Shimmer

"You love him, don't you?" Twilight asked.

"What? No... we are just friends."

"Sunset you two had an intimate night together."

"So, what."

"Sunset I know that you would never just have a one-night stand, it isn't you."

"maybe you don't know me as well as you think," shouted Sunset defensively.

Twilight smiled softly, watching her friend.

"Don't judge me Twilight," said Sunset feeling guilty.

Twilight retained her relaxed posture.

"Fine... I... love him!"

Twilight cocked her head to the right, her smile widening.

"Did you hear me Twilight I love Shadow... From the moment we first kissed... I felt this connection to him that I can't explain."

"I heard you Sunset, but you had to hear it for yourself."

"Why are you so cruel, Twi?"

"Tough love, Sunshim, baby."

Sunset released a soft chuckle at Twilight's use of a cliché.

"If you love each other so much, why would you push him away?"

"... I was scared."

"Elaborate Sunset. Everypony gets scared."

"I'm broken... Twilight... I can't give him that future."

"What future?"

"The first kiss we shared we connected on an astral level. I had a vision..."

"What was it about?" Twilight, urged.

"It’s snowing outside, and we are together... I'm..."

"You're what?" asked Twilight holding her breath.

"Preg... nant."

The lavender alicorn's eyes widened as she blushed.

"But you can't have any children due to the encounter, with possessed Trixie," said Twilight finishing her friend's thought.

Depressed, Sunset silently nodded.

"Sunset all Shadow wants is for you to be by his side and love him. Everything else doesn't matter."

"It matters to me, Twi!"

"Why?"

"I don't know... Maybe because it means that I have truly been forgiven for my past deeds and can have a happy ending."

"Sunset, you create your own happy ending... Not fate..."

"It was more than a vision Twilight. It was right... Real!"

"An intense emotional connection can do that to you, Sunset. It doesn't mean it will happen."

"It did happen Twi..."

"Yes, you saw a glimpse of a possible outcome."

"I... want that future... but it was stolen from me..."

"He loves you right?"

"Who?" asked an emotionally confused Sunset.

"Shadow!" Twilight, urged."

"He said that, yes."

"Good start from there. If you two get to that point, adoption is always an option. Nothing is ever set in stone, Sunset Shimmer."

"... Oh, Celestia what have I done?"

"Sunset, dwelling on the past won't help. Push forward and worry about tomorrow."

"How do I fix this?" Sunset asked, her aqua eyes watering."

********************

Crystal Empire, alternate future.

"How do I owe you? If anything, you owe me princess," said Shadow.

"Who held whom hostage?"

"The hostage situation wouldn't have happened if you had not summoned me here... PRINCESS!"

"I had nothing to do with your situation. Zany is the pony who cast the spell that brought you here," scoffed Flurry.

"You're guilty by association," countered Shadow.

"We can argue semantics, or we can discuss more important matters," interrupted Twinkle.

"All we do is talk Twinkle Toes. I vote for lets finishing our game of O&O," said Zany.

"I don't care what you three, Snart for brains do but I need to find a way back to Twilight's castle. Before I got sucked down your fracking portal, she was going to tell me some important information that may help save Trixie," Said shadow venomously.

"Trixie... Trixie the Queen of the Changelings? Zany isn't she Mothball's elder sister?" asked Twinkle.

"Yes, but why is my brother in-law's sister, important?"

"Shadow, if you don't mind will you please tell us your story. I may not be my mother but if I knew a bit about your situation, I may be able to help and piece together this mystery," said Twinkle.

Shadow scrutinized Twinkle for a minute and replied "I am curious about this new Trixie. I guess help from Twilight's daughter is better than nothing."

Shadow sat down and cleared his throat. The dim candlelight set the perfect mood for his tale. The stallion started with the morning that changed his life to being pulled into the vortex. Shadow hesitated when he brought up Sunset, leaving out his intimate encounter with her. Flurry Heart picked up on the hesitation but kept it to herself. Twinkle and Zany both listened intently to Shadow's retelling of his adventures. Twinkle, Luna's little dream walker pupil, discerned that Shadow was not from their world nor of the current timeline.

"Even though Zany summoned you from an alternate past you are from another world called Earth?" asked Flurry with childlike wonder.

"Correct."

"This is so exciting I never thought I would get to meet somepony who has traveled through time and space," squealed Twinkle with glee.

"As Rainbow Dash always says, this is awesome. I feel a real adventure coming on," cheered Zany raising his right hoof into the air.

"That's great you loved my story but right now you three are useless, growled Shadow.

"Really? You hardly even know us and you're already insulting us," scoffed Flurry.

Shadow just rolled his eyes. "Prove me wrong oh wise one."

"I will prove you wrong. Sarcasm, notwithstanding."

"I'm sorry. Just give me a moment to compose myself... Alright. So if pony Trixie of the past was targeted it is safe to assume that our world's Trixie is also in danger. We need to contact her," interjected Twinkle, looking at her boyfriend.

"I guess I can send a message to Screwball and Mothball. They know how to reach Queen Trixie and let her know what's going on," said Zany.

"That's my good boy," teased Twinkle scratching behind her boyfriend's right ear.

"I'm not a dog you know," muttered Zany.

The half-draconequus, waved his right hoof in the air to reveal a flying toy horse. With a little whisper the toy flew through the library window with a crash. Broken glass shards glittered in the dim candlelight as they showered the blue carpeted floor.

"Really Zany," said Flurry scrunching her nose in frustration.

"Oops," said the shrugging half-breed.

"At least this is easier to clean up than the marshmallow bombs or the singing toast and jelly," said Twinkle.

"True enough... I was cleaning jelly out of my ears for days after that prank," growled Flurry.

Shadow released a loud snort as he snickered at the alicorn's expense. Flurry Heart glared at the stallion causing Shadow to laugh even harder.

The festivities abruptly ended when a buzzing sound came from a nearby book. Twinkle being the closest picked up the noisy book. As the alicorn placed the journal on the table the buzzing intensified. The book was bathed with a pink glow. "This is fascinating."

"Zany..." scolded Flurry.

"I wish it was me but the glowing, buzzing book isn't mine."

Shadow glanced at the journal, recognizing the red and yellow sun crest on the cover. The stallion's expression darkened, as he relived that awful morning. "You can just burn that shit... it belongs to... no one important."

"There is that look again. Whoever hurt him must own this book," thought Flurry. The pink alicorn cantered over to the glowing book and took a moment to examine the sun crest. Her horn glowed a soft yellow as the book opened. Flurry skimmed through some of the entries until she read the excerpt about Trixie. "So, he was telling the truth." Flurry Heart looked up from the book and her thoughts. Her blue eyes focused on Shadow as she studied him more carefully. For some strange reason the alicorn felt drawn to Shadow and couldn't bring herself to pull her gaze away from him.

Feeling the energy that Flurry Heart exuded, Shadow returned her gaze. When his fuchsia eyes met her blue ones both ponies felt a jolt in their chest, hearts fluttering. Flurry blushing averted her eyes to the open journal. "What is this feeling? It is pleasant yet frightening at the same time," wondered Flurry.

Although silent, Shadow's defeated posture betrayed him. Flurry knew he had been hurt and she intended to find out how deeply and then remedy that. "Then maybe... grrr! Why do I even care about this stranger? Flurry shut up, shut up, shut up." Flurry Heart shook her head trying to silence her thoughts. The alicorn was unsuccessful as her mind went wild.

"Well if I can't shut my mind off, maybe I can refocus my energy elsewhere."

Flurry Heart flipped through the rest of the pages of the journal. Careful not to miss any details the alicorn absorbed every word. She took a mental photo of everything and stored the images in the back of her mind for later use. "This appears to be a communication device. This Sunset Shimmer has one entry and signs off. While the next entry is written by Aunt Twili." Flurry's heart skipped a beat as she read the last entry.

Shadow if you're there please respond when you get this message... I need to know if you're safe.

Sunset Shimmer

"Um Shadow... there is a message here written by Sunset Shimmer. She seems to be really worried about you," said Flurry.

Shadow choking back a sob, grabbed his chest and closed his eyes through the pain. "Sunset doesn't care... about anyone but herself."

Flurry felt a twinge of guilt as her heart ached for Shadow. The princess wanted to do something for the distraught unicorn. "What can I do?"

Anger started to replace the guilt Flurry felt and tiny strands of yellow lightning danced in her eyes. "If this journal really is a two-way communicator then this Sunset Shimmer will get a piece of my mind... Wait why do I care so much? This has nothing to do with me." Glancing once more in Shadow's direction Flurry felt that electric jolt again deep within. "By Celestia... Sunset Shimmer it is on!"

I do not know who you are Sunset Shimmer but Whatever you did to Shadow has left him scarred. From the way he reacted to your name though I can surmise it was not good.

PS let me give you a little advice, go rot in Tartarus.

Never yours, Flurry Heart Princess of the Crystal Empire.

********************

Twilight's Crystal Castle Library

Sunset Shimmer sat with her head lying on the table.

"you're still here I see," stated Twilight flatly.

"I need to be ready just in case he writes."

"Sunset did it ever occur to you that maybe he doesn't want to speak with you right now?"

Sunset winced at Twilight's harsh words.

"Sunset you have been moping here for three weeks now. You need to live your life."

"I can't, not until I know he is alright."

"At least take a bath and eat something. Quite frankly your starting to smell."

"I can't, Twi. Everything I eat comes right back up."

"You can and you will. As Princess of Friendship I order you to bath and eat!"

"But the journal..."

"I will watch the journal, now go."

"And people use to call me cruel," grumbled Sunset.

"You haven't seen cruel yet missy," said Twilight scowling.

Sunset stood up on shaky legs and as she made her way towards the door the journal glowed. The fiery hair unicorn with a burst of energy galloped to the table knocking Twilight to the floor.

CRASH

"Ouch! By Celestia calm down. You're acting like a rabid animal Sunset." Twilight stood rubbing her head as she walked over and read over Sunset's shoulder.

Sunset's red aura opened the book to the last entry. Her heart sank with sadness as she read the first lines.

I do not know who you are Sunset Shimmer but Whatever you did to Shadow has left him scarred. From the way he reacted to your name though I can surmise it was not good.

Twilight ached for her friend but that changed just as quickly as Sunset's temper at the next part.

PS let me give you a little advice, go rot in Tartarus.

Never yours, Flurry Heart Princess of the Crystal Empire.

"Who the frack does this Flurry Heart think she is? I will rip out her heart and roast it over a fire," roared Sunset as red flames danced in her eyes.

The edges of the journal stated to smolder and smoke as Sunset seethed.

"Sunset you need to calm down if you destroy the journal, we won't have a way to save Shadow. Besides Flurry Heart is my niece and a baby. There will be no heart roasting!"

"Oh there will be. Then I will season it..."

"Sunset she is an innocent baby."

"A baby can't write like that. Unless she is some kind of super genious. Even then..."

Sunet Shimmer had the look of an angry crazy person plastered across her face. Twilight was quick to take action. A lavender aura enveloped the book and was levitated out of the unicorn's deadly reach.

"Breath Sunset, breath. The book did nothing to you. Plus we know Shadow is safe with the help of the journal. See it is useful just like a good friend."

Sunset glared at the alicorn.

"Breath in... breath out... breath... in.... and... out..."

Focusing on Twilight's calming words the unicorn slowly regained her composure.

"You're right Twi... I am sorry."

"Its fine Sunset. I have noticed you have been more irritable as of late. You don't eat much, and you are not sleeping properly. Are You feeling alright?

"Besides vomiting in the morning after I eat anything green, I'm fine."

"Are you hungry right now?"

"No!" Sunset replied.

Grumble Sunset, betrayed by her stomach, blushed.

"Uh huh!" Twilight replied.

"All right I have been craving red meat for a while, but I didn't want to frighten you by giving you the impression I wanted to eat you... I mean you do look tasty right now," said Sunset.

"That is a little disturbing, but after you have lived in the human world for a few years I would expect that your diet would change to match that way of life. Let me tell you a little secret... just don't tell Fluttershy. Sometimes when I visit you on Earth, I have a cheeseburger or two."

"Twilight you eat meat?" asked Sunset, her mouth filling with saliva.

"Oh, look at the time. Let us not get distracted. I do believe you have a bath to take."

"I was hoping you would forget about that," mumbled Sunset.

"Don't worry. While you do that, I will have Spike cook you something edible while I have Starlight bring a doctor."

"A doctor? Twilight are you feeling all right? Your smile is scaring me"

"I just have a hunch."

"Would you care to elaborate?"

"Not until it is proven correct. Now leave. I believe you have a bath to take."

Sunset paused to speak but was interrupted by Twilight using her royal voice. "No excuses! I will investigate the journal. Now go!"

********************

With all her tasks taken care of Twilight sat down if front of the journal.

Flurry Heart, honey is that really you? If so, please tell me how this is possible. I only saw you a week ago and you were happily pooping your diapers. Also if Shadow is present how is he doing. P.S. please refrain from provoking Sunset Shimmer. She is very volatile at the moment and I really love my castle and I don't want it turned into molten slag.

Twilight Sparkle

Many hours went by before a response came.

I can't believe I am writing to another Twilight! Let me alleviate your worries. For starters I am sorry Flurry wrote that message. She got very emotional reading it. After what Shadow said of Sunset, I can relate. The way Flurry reacted though was on a whole new level than I have ever seen. I have seen things explode when she gets emotional, but this was different. There was a burning passion about her, almost like she cares for Shadow. While this was happening, I noticed a red thread that appeared connecting Flurry to Shadow. Besides being an emotional wreck, your friend appears to be alright physically. Flurry took him to get some food and hopefully raise his spirits.

Twinkle Sparkle

"For the love of Celestia! This isn't going to end well... my poor castle."

Twilight calmed her nerves and studied the neatly written message.

Well that is reassuring as well as demoralizing at the same time, but that aside I must know. Who are you Twinkle and how do you know Flurry Heart?

Another hour goes by before a return response.

Heh! One question at a time. I am relieved that even in other dimensions you remain the same. I don't know how much I should reveal but, in this timeline, I am your daughter. Flurry Heart is my older cousin. Before you start hyper ventilating, she is the daughter of Uncle Shining Armor and Aunt Cadance. To prevent any time irregularities, it is best that I don't delve any further into my life. Just know that I love you, Mom. I have read through the journal and I have gathered up all the glass spider fragments that arrived with this journal and Shadow. I will research this from my end so don't fret I will be in touch.

Forever Yours Twinkle Sparkle

Twilight's eyes watered with pride at the words of the daughter she hasn't had.

"At least I know one version of me has a future," thought Twilight with smile.

********************

Crystal Empire, Alternate Future

"Ira please let my fly I can find the target faster from the sky. Plus, it will help get the blood flowing to my wings, because right now I can't feel my feathers."

"Will you just shut up for two minutes Aubree. Your whine isn't helping me find the target."

"Is that what you're calling this frozen game of hide and seek?" muttered Aurora Breeze.

"I am trying to be stealthy."

"Oh, bull shit! This is just like that time when we were looking for your missing art supplies. You loved playing detective so much; you named the incident the Great Kitten Mysteries. Now that I think about it you really are obsessed with kittens."

"AUBREE!" growled Iridescent Dusk.

"Halt who goes there?" shouted one of the guards rushing over the sisters hiding place.

Ira activated her ghosting while Aubree took to the sky.

"That feather brained instigated me enough to arouse the guards so she could fly."

The guards investigated the area but found no sign of the intruders. "It must have been that darn cat again."

Iridescent Dusk released her magic, becoming visible. Leaning against the wall Ira started to breath heavily as her eyes began to shut. "Damn, I've overextended my powers."

Ira's eyes shot open when the sound of hooves landing on the ground startled her.

"Ira now isn't the time to sleep."

"Aubree! The guards will come back for sure. With this cold weather I don't have the strength to keep up my ghosting for long."

"Those two fools won't be an issue."

"Do I even want to know?"

"No, it involves you insulting me."

"Aubree the guards wouldn't have been an issue had you just listened," chided Ira.

"Then I wouldn't have found the target."

"Why didn't you say so before?"

"You never asked, and you were too busy sleeping and being useless," retorted Aurora Breeze with a wicked grin.

"Grrrrr!" growled Ira as she reached out to Aubree as if to choke her.

"Curb your temper dear sister and think of kittens," Teased Aurora.

"Just take me to the target," muttered Ira, rubbing her temples in frustration.

Aurbree led the way to a small establishment. The old metal sign hanging from the building read The Golden Rainbow Pub. Iridescent sighed when she saw the sign.

"Is the target really in here or do you just want a pint of spiced cider? I don't have any more patience for your pranks."

"Yes... all the above," said Aubree giggling in embarrassment.

Irritated Ira pushed past her sister, entering the establishment.

The two sisters located their target and sat at a nearby booth.

"Ira did you see who he is with?"

"I don't care but you are going to tell me anyways."

"It's Princess Flurry Heart," squeed Aubree, gleefully.

Ira's eyes widened at her sister’s words. When Aubree glanced her way, Ira composed herself. "It doesn't matter if your idle is here or not. Now isn't the right time to meet her."

"Yes, it does Ira... now is the perfect TIME!" said Aurora slamming her hooves on the table and glaring at her sister with determination.

"Fine Aubree, do what you want."

Aubree looked to her sister with a sad smile and mouthed "thank you."

Ira just turned her head away from Aurora.

"Soon he dies..."