• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 23,196 Views, 486 Comments

The Broken Mare - darkangel_31314



Twilight Sparkle wakes up near the Everfree Forest, pregnant, with no idea how she got there.

  • ...
35
 486
 23,196

The Epilogue

"Come on, little one!" Twilight smiled as Moonlight nosed at the front steps to the Apple Farmstead, exploring this new, big, wondrous world around her. Satisfied that the steps were not a threat, she stepped aside the two full-grown mares, only to giggle when she was snatched up in the magenta magic of her mother.

"Place is already set for ya, hun." Applejack limped through the front door, showing her new house guest inside, guiding her to the room she'd be sharing with Pinkie Pie.

"I really appreciate this, Applejack." Twilight smiled, setting her daughter on her back and following.

"Twahlight, ya know me. I'm as honest as the day is long, and I will tell ya honestly, that raising a foal is serious business. Ahm just lucky I had Granny Smith helpin' me an' Big Mac in raising A.B." She smiled and poked her friend with her leg brace. "Heh. An' dun' think me yet. While yer' recoverin' and taking care of tha little one, Pinkie and Spike will be earnin' their keep with the cookin' and cleanin' so I can focus on balancing the books."

Twilight just smiled. "I will then honestly say it's good to hear you talk like you used to." Twilight fired back.

"Heh." Applejack showed the unicorn mare into her room. "So ahm I."

"Hamoah!" Applebloom smiled in greeting, putting the finishing touches on her old crib that she had just reassembled before spitting the screwdriver in her mouth perfectly into it's holster on her tool belt. "All finished, A.J.! I got your bed right there beside it, Twilight, Pinkie's on the far wall, and all the stuff Fluttershy brought over in that trunk there. Diapers, formula, etc." She pointed out the details of the newly remodeled guest room.

"Thanks, Applebloom." She rubbed the filly's head.

"No problem." She grinned. "With Rarity moving back, I wonder if Sweetie Belle will be moving back too. Me an' Scoots sure missed her."

"A distinct possibility, or so Rares' says." Applejack took her turn to ruffle her little sister's mane. "Their parents are always off doing their own thing, it's no wonder that Sweetie was always stayin' over."

"Squeak!" Came from Twilight's back.

"Aww! Isn' she just adorable!" Applebloom looked up at the little filly who leaned over to sniff the new (to her, anyway) pony.

"This is my little moon, Applebloom." Twilight introduced her daughter. "Her name is Moonlight."

"She does look like moonlight."

Twilight nuzzled her daughter who gave a cute squeak again and hugged her mommy's muzzle before giving a cute yawn.

"Time for bed, eh? We'll let ya get settled, sugarcube." Applejack smiled, dropping Twilight's saddlebags by the door before ushering her sister out of the room.

"Yes, it is... " Twilight levitated the sleepy filly from her back and into the crib before tucking her in. "Tomorrow begins the rest of our lives." She smiled.

.....

An hour later, Applejack chuckled to herself as she sauntered back through the upstairs hallway of the house she had lived in nearly all her life.

It was good to have Twilight back. Although it was apparent that things would never be the same - she would never buck apples again, and Twilight would never be the nerdy bookworm that spent most of her nights up late and studying - they were back together.

She opened the door to what used to be the guest room and peeked inside, smiling at the sight. Twilight was curled up on a rug beside the crib. Inside, Moonlight was wide awake again, peering down at her mother, then up at Applejack.

"Heh... best get some sleep, kiddo. We're all gonna need it."

Moonlight smiled and curled up in the blankets, closing her soft eyes to join her mother in peaceful sleep.

.....

The Nightmare was angry.

Not only had she failed in getting Twilight to fool the Princesses into protecting her and her new body, but the stupid unicorn had actually managed to break her mental conditioning!

The blast from those accursed Elements of Harmony hurt!

She limped along through her prison on the Moon. It was castle brought forth from the sands of the lunar surface that once housed the corrupted Princess Luna, better known to the ponies of Equestria as Nightmare Moon. Over a thousand years ago, it had been based on the design of the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters that was now in ruins in the Everfree Forest, and decorated with the obvious silver and blacks of the moon queen in question.

As she stormed aimlessly through her new prison, a laugh from a side door caught her attention.

She turned and used a ghost-like tendril to open it. Inside, hidden in shadow, a pony was shackled to a wall, reclining on a plush bed.

"What are you laughing at, Foal?" She demanded of the figure.

"Oh, nothing as usual... my Queen..." A male voice responded, heavy with sarcasm.

She scoffed at him, glaring with hate-filled golden eyes.

"What? I didn't expect to see you again. You know, 'getting a whole new body' and 'getting my revenge on that little princess and her friends' and all that stuff." He chuckled. "And here I thought you intended to leave me here."

"I did. There were... complications..." She hissed in pain.

He could only smile. "Well now... seems that 'my chosen' was too much for you, eh?"

"Silence this insolence!" She hissed and slapped him across the face with a forehoof.

He recoiled, the chain leashing him to the bed clattering as he fell back against it. He wasn't surprised, however. He'd gotten used to this long ago. He merely spat a bit of blood to one side and grinned.

"Oh my... I expected better from you, Queeny. Seems she did manage to break free of the brainwashing?"

That earned him another backhoof.

Once again, he chuckled weakly. "Come now, you should have expected it. You brainwashed her, you forced her on me..." He grinned. "How does the foal look? A pretty filly like you wanted?"

Instead of crying in pain, he merely laughed as the Nightmare proceeded to take out her frustration on him. For her, it was appropriate relief considering her failure, and his always snarky attitude toward her. It did make her feel somewhat better when she punished him, which was quite often. It was hard enough keeping Twilight Sparkle firmly under her mental control, let alone him.

She eventually left to rest, grumbling to herself that this wasn't over.

She would get her body back, and maybe even that upstart Bearer of the Element of Magic!

On the bed, the shadowy figure wiped a busted lip on a forehoof and grinned. He chuckled to himself, knowing that since the Nightmare's plans had failed, she was hurt and angry, and thus now weak. That meant it was time.

He was already well along in making plans to escape back to Equestria. He had to ensure that the Nightmare's plans had indeed failed, and the only sure fire way to do that was to find the mare. He smiled to himself, recalling the few moments of lucidity where they could talk, simply be together without the Nightmare controlling her. He had to admit that he had fallen in love with the poor mare, and part of him did hope that if he could escape and find her and ensure she was freed from the Nightmare's control, they could be together as a family. There was no doubt that her foal was his, after all.

He had but one clue to go on. During one of those brief moments of freedom the mare was able to tell him her name, a name he wanted to hear from her lips again:

... Twilight Sparkle...

The stallion whispered the name to himself, and glared daggers at the door. The Nightmare was going to pay for what was done to her, done to him, and was nearly done to their daughter...

.....

Cue the 'Best of Both Worlds' To Be Continued card...

Roll End Credits...

Comments ( 92 )

And... my first fanfic is done!

Could have been better, there are a lot of issues that have been identified, and sooner or later I'm going to go back through it and correct these faults. But it's done!

And yes... that ending does allude to a sequel! I'm bouncing ideas around in my head right now, and making notes. Already started writing the first couple of chapters, and hopefully, it'll be better than this one. Ideas welcome. :twilightsmile:

1363928 sequel? Hurray!
Who's the mystery pony? and OC? a background pony? a fanmade pony?

Great ending and it's open for a sequel! I love it! :pinkiehappy:

Good way to end the story sir, and what a great story it was!

Why u no fix AJ? :ajsleepy::pinkiesad2::fluttercry:

1363935 Maybe Discord?! :pinkiegasp: Can't be somepony normal. They wouldn't be able to breath on the moon. :pinkiecrazy:

Soldier, you deserve an award.
bf2142.free-gfx.com/bf2142_awards/medals_bf2142/medal_big_05.png

Oh boy! We demand sequels!

Nicely done on the ending there, but wait our mysterious stranger is trapped on the moon?

1363953 That's my only irk with the story. Tell me Doctor Dark, will AJ ever be able to apple buck again?

Ideas welcome.

Find a way to "correctly" answer the above question and I'm happy.

they need to get to the moon to get that stallion

1363965 hmmm.... The Doctor maybe? (What can I say, I just love that ship) But prolly be an OC, not a canon character.

Eh, it was good, glad to see another completed story. As for ideas for another, more detail, that would be fantastic.

1363965
Twilight was breathing on the moon, so the lack of an atmosphere is obviously not a problem.

Nice cliffhanger, the story was absolutely fantastic!

YEAH! If i knew you and if i could i'd hug you! BRILLIENANCE is what you have done here today wish you luck! :twilightsmile:

Another Story?
My body is ready!

1364053 But she is a badass, she doesn't need air! :twilightblush:

I enjoyed the story quite a bit. As for a sequel, I admit my interest would be considerably diminished by an OC being shipped with Twilight, if that is indeed the case.

Twilight is such a great, strong, heroic figure, and the nature of this story was to victimize her at the outset. I thought it worked though, because it showed her overcoming what had happened and still healing those around her, making her the most proactive and dynamic character in the tale.

If Twilight were to rescue this stallion, I could be interested to see how it unfolded. But it sounds like he's a very confident, cocky guy who wants to go protect Twilight and her daughter. While Twilight succumbed to NMM's mental control, he apparently never has. While Twilight was released, he's planning his own escape... From the moon. While NMM is a huge threat to the other characters, he laughs in her face. Even though he's the one still chained up, his little scene here put Twilight back into the victim role in my mind, and sending him off to protect her would just reinforce that and diminish Twilight as a result.

I realize that you may have something very different in mind, and the actual story may unfold quite well, but the little tease here invites my mind to jump at the worst case scenarios, making me hesitant about a sequel built around the father.

cant wait for sequill

Surely it's Discord? A voice laden with sarcasm? Snarky attitude? Laughing in the face of threats? Where have we seen this before I wonder? Only one real answer...

1363928 I call bull their is no way the story could have been better only minor grammer mistakes which i care little about
you get dawwable derpys
:derpytongue2::derpytongue2::derpytongue2::derpytongue2::derpytongue2:

Oh oooh! maybe hes a changeling! what a mindfuck that would be later on.:derpyderp2:

This fic gets the full rating of :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: out of 5 happy pinkies.

I look forward to the sequel!

Interesting . . .

Strange and dark, but interesting. I thought it was good. Have a happy mother Twilight: :twilightsmile:

Also, I kinda suspect that the "stallion" is Discord.

Sequel?! Awesome. This was really well written, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Ha ha ha ha ha!....

It would follow that it is not over, but only beginning. These ponies were, after all, not the cause of Nightmare Moon's near return. They were merely the instruments. Oh yes, fate can but promise us more twists of the plot before this drama unfolds completely....

Lots of sarcasm, laughs in the face of NMM, makes jokes on her. Well who ever this pony is, he sure is cocky. The best guess would be OC or Discord. I mean who is stupid enough to insult NMM? But then again, this pony cares about Twilight and the daughter they had, so Discord is out of the picture. Mostly likely this is an OC pony. Great story by the way. Wish I can stay in character like you.

And so it ends. Oh well, on to the sequel! I can hardly wait! Also, that stallion is Blueblood. I'm pretty sure he did something stupid over the last year and Celestia banished him to the moon. Lol, just kidding.

Much YES has been had. Can't wait to see the sequel!

1364234>>1364435 It couldn't be Discord. It mentioned he only knows her name because she told him. Discord knows a lot more.

"He had but one clue to go on. During one of those brief moments of freedom the mare was able to tell him her name, a name he wanted to hear from her lips again:
... Twilight Sparkle... "

Who is he ? Who is he ? Who is he ? Who is he ? :pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp:

MOTHER.
BUCKING.
GENIOUS!!!
Love it! :D
I sense a sequel... :rainbowdetermined2:
Can't wait for moar!!!
BRO HOOF!!! /)

Two words: So Awesome:rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss:

Thank you so much. Great fic. Waiting for sequel!:rainbowkiss:

1363935
More then likely, Moonlight's father. But that's kinda obvious.

Great first fanfic. Most first time authors' stories tend to suck but it's always nice to see someone buck the trend. Looking forward to the sequel.

WHY DOES THIS SOUND MORE AND MORE LIKE MY HERO???
The attitude, the colours of the foal (Dark blue coat, white mane), getting picked from a place where no one would care (My guy lives in the forest).
Honestly! Is this guy my hero or not? Reading this tells me it is!
If not then ok, but you got bloody close.
Not to count my guys name: Dark Moon. The foals name: Moonlight...
Need I say more?

1364144

To that end, though, the cockiness could just be a coping mechanism. NM has captured, chained, and used him in every way. The only thing she hasn't taken is his mind, so this could just be the only way he can even stay sane. But it's a gambit; it'll only work as long as he can keep his mind and keep taunting her. If he breaks, there can't be any recovery from that. He's only staying sane because he believes she hasn't won unless she breaks his spirit, but that will snap right around on him if she does, reinforcing the mental chains.

I'd imagine Twilight's innate curiosity won't let go of the question of who is the father. Perhaps she'll become obsessed with rescuing the other lost pony.

Not bad for a first fic! Can't wait for the sequel! (I'm guessing the stallion is Starswirl the Bearded... if not him then Clover the Clever)

1365884 didn't it say golden eyes...it could just be discord...that'll make things fun

1366524

Oh By Celestia! ... I Think I Love You :heart: :pinkiehappy:

Please fix applejack! :ajsmug: Discord for daddy!! :pinkiegasp: Moonlight Sparkle!!! :twilightsmile:

1365714
Oh, certainly... and obviously, there's not enough here to pass any kind of informed judgement on the character. I was just expressing some reservations, and they overshadowed what should have been the more prominent point... that I quite enjoyed this tale.

1363928
So, the biggest piece of advice is for you to work on pacing; it felt a little rushed in places as you may have already heard/read from others. Easiest thing to do is to read your story out loud (perhaps to a live audience if you're feeling gutsy enough, many aren't), this will help with word choice and grammatical issues right off the bat as you will notice them as you stumble across them.

1366777 THAT scares me

1363928

reaaaallly? "to be continued" means that there is additional material that is not presently available? SHOCK AND AWE!

What an awesome fic. Twilight + foal is so cute.

My only complaint is that the chapters are too short, and the centered alignment is kinda annoying.

1363928

SEQUEL!:flutterrage: I DEMAND A SEQUEL! (possibly where the stallion escapes)

Edit
:1367387
Run.

Very nice Darkangel. I enjoyed the development of the others in Twilight's absence the most. I hope you do write a sequel. Especially since writing stories is something you get better at with practice and that this effort was your starting point. Very much looking forward to seeing how you improve as a writer.

Keep calm and pony on.

It felt pretty rushed until I realised that it was written in the style of a stage script. Not often that I see stories presented in such a form. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment