• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 23,193 Views, 486 Comments

The Broken Mare - darkangel_31314



Twilight Sparkle wakes up near the Everfree Forest, pregnant, with no idea how she got there.

  • ...
35
 486
 23,193

Nightmare Dawn

It was a perfectly logical conclusion.

Princess Luna was threatening her unborn, and was thus a threat. Sometimes one needed to eliminate those threats with means that one could barely stomach.

Killing...

Thus, Twilight started by tearing apart a nearby building and forming the pieces into very large and very sharp sticks to try skewering the Night Princess. Things were somewhat in her favor by it being near the middle of the day and the voice in her head telling her what to do, guiding her every spell and movement.

Lightning Spells, even an Earthquake Spell were thrown into the mix as the two dueled in the middle of Ponyville. Guards were evacuating everypony, but Twilight didn't notice. All her attention was focused on her former friend who stood her ground with an angry glare.

"BEGONE FROM THIS WORLD, NIGHTMARE! YOU HAVE NO MORE CLAIM TO IT!"

Twilight sneered. "Your short-sightedness shames you, Princess... The only nightmare is the one whom would take an unborn foal from its mother!" She then dropped a house on the Princess...

... literally...

The younger Alicorn smashed her way out the front door with a roar of anger, advancing on Twilight with ball lightning striking the unicorn's shield.

"THIS IS FAR FROM OVER BETWEEN US, NIGHTMARE! RELEASE TWILIGHT THIS INSTANCE!"

"It hasn't occurred to you, has it? That I do this willingly?!"

"Twilight! That's Treason!" Rainbow Dash shouted from one side.

"It's self-preservation!" Twilight fired back - along with a lightning bolt pulled from a nearby cloud. She sneered, hitting Luna's shield again and again, storming forward.

You are a good mother.

"... I am a good mother..."

Protect the Foal.

"...Protect the Foal..."

The voice soothed her soul, at the same time guiding her body and her magic to try tearing Princess Luna limb from limb, to protect her friends, protect her foal. It was strangely calming to just give in to the voice, the programming flowing through her mind. The soft chant she breathed didn't go unnoticed, however.

.....

Thrown into a bush by the exchange of magic, Fluttershy poked her head up and blinked. She had heard those words before from Twilight... in the exact same tone. She watched her repeat that mantra again.

Now Fluttershy isn't the most brilliant of Pegasus in Ponyville. She never even completed flight school due to her weak wings, but her mind is quite sharp due to assertiveness training well over a year ago. Thus, she was more than able to finish her doctorate in record time. She was also able to catch on quite easily to what the repeated words meant; "Rainbow! That is Twilight!"

"What the hay you talking about, 'shy?! The bucking Nightmare has possessed her!" The guard lieutenant landed at her side to help her from the bush.

"It is! I've been listening to her mutter. She's repeating some sort of mental programming. I think that she's been brainwashed, and is following her programming to protect her foal!"

"So how do we snap her out of it?"

"Go get Shining Armor! Have him bring the rest of our friends here!" Fluttershy flitted up and headed right toward Twilight.

.....

The Alicorn was tough, that was rather obvious, but her shield was weakening.

Yes! Keep on her! Punish her for threatening your foal!

"Protect the Foal..." Twilight muttered obediently.

"Don't do it!"

Twilight wheeled on Fluttershy who hovered beside her. "And why not?"

"This isn't you, Twilight! She isn't the threat!"

Of course she's a threat! She thinks you're possessed!

"Of course she is, Fluttershy! She thinks I'm being possessed and thus wants to take away my foal!"

"No, she doesn't, Twilight. The Nightmare does. Remember? 'She's planning something'!" The butter-coated Pegasus pleaded.

Then she's relapsed...

"Then she's relapsed..." Twilight turned on Luna again, ignoring the Pegasus in favor of the calming voice.

"You know that isn't true, Twilight." Princess Celestia struck the ground, shielding her weakened sister from Twilight's wrath. "Listen to your friends." She turned to indicate the group of ponies running up to them.

Applejack slid off Shining Armor's back. "We're here for ya, Twi..." She limped forward.

"Yeah, Twilight! You still have to attend my party!" Pinkie trotted on the farmpony's left.

"Indeed, darling... I ran out once, I'm not doing it again!" Rarity had discarded her dress for speed, and advanced steadily on AJ's right, Spike riding on her back with a worried look on his face.

Landing on either side of the now-confused Unicorn, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash voiced their agreement.

"No... no! You're confusing me!"

Protect the Foal. The voice insisted. She has to be born!

"I have... I have to protect my foal!" She glared at them.

"We're not stopping you, Twilight." Applejack stood her ground. "We just want you back."

Twilight looked upon each of her friends in turn. They stared right back, not with expressions of fear or hatred, but of concern.

They've turned on you! They have to be stopped!

Twilight looked at the ground in front of her. She started to retort, but something caught her attention. Waitaminute... Turned on 'me'? You're supposed to be 'me'...

The voice didn't respond.

They were right. She scowled. You are not a part of me... she was right! The Nightmare!

You are a good mother. The voice whispered angrily.

"I am a..." She started to mutter obediently, but set her jaw. "NO!" She shook her head, causing the Princesses and her friends to step back.

You are a good mother.

"I..." She dropped to the ground, clutching her head. "Stop! It!" She hissed.

"You can do it, Twilight!" Fluttershy said from beside her.

"Yeah! Teach that Nightmare who's the boss!" Dash grinned.

Spike silently walked forward and placed a clawed hand on one of her forelegs.

OBEY ME! I'm doing this for your own good! The voice insisted. I love you... We made a child together... The reward you were denied your whole life by Celestia...

More Lies!

"We're right here, Twilight. We're all here, and we're not leaving you." Pinkie Pie's soft voice came from ahead of her.

Protect the Foal!

"Pro-" Twilight cut herself off, struggling to resist.

Memories flowed. She remembered the fight in the old castle ruins, seeing Applejack laying on the floor, broken. Rainbow limping, calling out to her.

She remembered the Nightmare, the promises made. Flashes of disjointed memories shot past, of her imprisonment.

You are a good mother.

"I..." She set her jaw.

Protect the foal.

"P-" Her mouth opened obediently, but she forced it shut. She instead forced her eyes open. All her friends were right here. Beside her. Supporting her. Even her adopted son, Spike...

She looked right at Spike. Then it clicked. She smiled. "Heh... that I can agree with..." Twilight closed her eyes and reached deep into herself. Not toward the Nightmare, not toward the Princesses, but to something else. Something she rarely touched upon, but was definitely there. Her horn began to glow.

Wait... what is going on? You can't have shed a year's worth of brainwashing that quick! The voice sounded worried. You have to fight the Princesses!

In a sealed magical vault many miles away and up a mountainside, inside an enchanted chest, a crown began to glow. Then, in rapid sequence, several ornate necklaces placed around it began to glow as well.

What are you doing? The voice insisted.

She tilted her head and called to them. Her friends began to shift uneasily, feeling the same source inside them being called to.

You wouldn't... You can't!

Twilight smiled. She summoned the magic that connected her to her friends.

This is impossible!

"You are urging me to protect my child..." Twilight whispered. "... my foal. Well, I am. I'm protecting her... from you!"

She reached into herself, and found the Nightmare. As she grasped hold of the taint, more memories flooded her mind, nearly making her lose contact with the spell. The creature was residing in her unborn, waiting to be brought into the world in a new body. The lies, the brainwashing, the rape... it was all there. A year's worth of memories cluttered together, stolen from her. They were still unclear, but that could wait for later. She had more important things to do, so she shut it out and focused on the Nightmare, on pulling her from her foal.

The mist lifted off Twilight's prone form, the changes wrought by the Nightmare's spell being peeled away to form the dark mare shape which suddenly dropped to the ground in their midst.

With the Nightmare away from her child, Twilight closed her eyes and completed her spell. The Elements of Harmony answered and came to her and her friends. The ornate jewelry flashed into existence on them to their shouts of agreement.

Twilight Sparkle stood shakily to her feet, glaring at the Nightmare. "This ends... now..."

The mist rose up. "YOU FORGET, TWILIGHT! YOU GAVE YOURSELF TO ME! MIND, BODY, AND SOUL!" The dark mare took a threatening step forward. YOU FORGET YOUR SACRIFICE?

"... no, I didn't..." Twilight muttered, but stood her ground amid her friends.

"You underestimated us!" Applejack snapped in reply.

"Yeah! You forgot about us!" Pinkie shouted.

"We came right back when we heard about Twilight." Rarity sneered in anger.

"We're her friends." Fluttershy put in with a brave face.

"And we don't abandon our friends!" Rainbow Dash fluffed her wings angrily.

The Nightmare stepped back only to be stopped by a magic shield erected by the Princesses who stood back and out of the way.

"You forgot the lesson we taught you during our first encounter." Twilight stepped through her friends, confronting the creature that raped her body and her mind. "You may have tore me apart... left me a broken mare... but I remembered the lesson: Friendship is Magic..." She smiled at her friends, who smiled back. She then looked back at the Nightmare, her eyes shifting to solid white, glowing, orbs, along with those of all her friends.

Pinkie actually managed to grin and waved; "Bye-Bye..."

The Nightmare only had enough time to scream in frustration before the Elements of Harmony literally drop-kicked her back to the Moon.