• Published 16th Apr 2019
  • 1,447 Views, 54 Comments

My Little Mages: Onset of Resolution - Foxhelm



With Celestia and Luna preparing to retire, a long forgotten villian, Grogar starts his grand plan, but Sombra wants none of it. A My Little Mage retelling of Begining of the End

  • ...
4
 54
 1,447

Bonus 3: The Last Summer Sun

Author's Note:

And here it is, the last of the Onset of Resolution bonus chapters and main entries until the Season 9/Series finale. Hope to have End of The Rainbow done for it.
No set date on the answer to Sunset's Backstage Pass, but with luck, the whole of My Little Mages should be wrapped up by Christmas this year:pinkiehappy:... well maybe New Years Eve...:twilightsheepish:
Please feel free to comment.

Foxhelm out

Weeks after the ‘failed’ attempt to retrieve Grogar’s bell, Grogar walked in front of his table with his orb scowling as he headed to the gateway. Before he got to the exit he heard Cozy clear her throat. He turned to face the skyborn, “Where are ya goin'?” she asked with a smile.

Grogar glared at her, “Since you three were unable to retrieve my Bewitching Bell, we need another source of great magical power to insure the defeat of Twilight and her friends. I am off to divine the location of one that will suit our needs and while you three say you can work together, I will not endure listening to you bricker.” Grogar turned and continued to leave. At the doorway, he turned back and spoke, “I shall return shortly after the Summer Solstice.” He then left.

After waiting a few more seconds, “He's gone!” Cozy declared in a sing-songy voice. Tirek and Chrysalis came out, with Chrysalis holding the satyr’s bell. “Any luck Chrysalis?” she asked the elf. Chrysalis growled as placed the bell down. It was clear she was wanted to throw it. “Okay, another dead-end.” the skyborn pouted.

“This is getting ridiculous.” Tirek growled, “We can’t keep hiding it from Grogar and there has to be a way to use it.” the spellthief added.

Both he and Chrysalis turned to Cozy, “Why are you looking at me?” the younger skyborn asked.

“You were in Twilight’s School of Friendship, you learned about the many artifacts in Mystica, surely you have an idea,” Tirek replied.

Cozy thought for a second, “Twilight never covered anything from around when Gusty lived because we all assumed that her story was a legend.” she informed and stopped as she was still in thought. Both Chrysalis and Tirek groaned, however, Cozy did have some useful information, “But she did say that there are some old books that you won’t find anywhere else in the royal princesses’ personal collection in their castle in Chantalot.”

Tirek leaned against the wall and sighed, “Celestia and Luna love to hoard information for themselves.” he pouted as he crossed his arms, “If there's an answer, it's there,” he added as he picked up the bell.

Chrysalis giggled at the prospect before she smirked, “My triumphant return to Chantalot?” the queen asked musingly. She then giggled again, “I like the sound of that.”

Cozy flew to be in between the two others, “Oh, my gosh! Road trip!” the skyborn shouted in great joy as the prospect all three smiled as they prepared to leave.


As the sun was setting, in Chantalot, specifically in Twilight’s old room in the castle of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Twilight was in the room looking at a board and checking a list. The door to the room opened and both Celestia and Luna looked in with nervous glances on each face. Cautiously the two stepped into the room, “Sorry to interrupt.” the elder princess said as the two entered. “We know you're busy planning the Summer Sun Celebration as we requested. But…” she trailed off as she and her sister were left dumbfounded at the sight of the room, which was shockingly vacant. Atypical for Twilight by every metric.

Luna was the first of the two to snap out of her befuddlement, “Oh!” she exclaimed, “Things seem, uh, calmer than we would've expected.”

“Unlike Detective Mary Allen’s case, no complaints here.” came Spike’s voice. The two princesses turned to see the dragon on Twilight’s old bed reading a comic book.

Twilight smiled as she turned around to face the two with checklist scrolled smiled, “With the exception of the odd trivia night,” she consented to her fault, “I've made a lot of progress since the Royal Swanifying Ceremony.” she countered as she reminded the two elder demigoddesses. Twilight then smiled, “You may not know this about me, but I occasionally freak out.” there she stopped and waited for a couple of seconds after both the elder demigods looked at each other in confusion. “That was a joke.” Twilight pointed out.

“And it stuck the landing, 10 out of 10.” Spike snarked from the bed, the sarcasm was boarding on being sardonic.

Celestia and Luna wanted for Twilight to scold Spike but nothing happened as Twilight smiled and kept her focus on Celestia and Luna, “I wanted to show you with the Summer Sun Celebration how much I've improved.” she said as walked to the two. “So I focused on delegating and trusting others.” informed on her own progress, “It's been great!” she shouted proud of herself.

Luna and Celestia looked at each other for a second, Celestia nodded. Luna then spoke up, “That's…” she trailed off slightly, “actually what we came to talk to you about.” Luna then took a breath. “This may be the last Summer Sun Celebration you'll need to plan,” she informed.

Before Twilight would question, “It’s not that you did anything wrong,” Celestia started to explain. She shut her eyes and took a breath herself, “This Celebration has always been about us since its inception.” Celestia started. “For the longest time, it was the defeat and banishment of Nightmare Moon…” Celestia trailed off as she looked away, a small tear in her eye.

Luna then placed a hand on Celestia’s shoulder reassuringly before she started to speak, “...and, thanks to you and your friends, my return and our reunion,” the younger of the two elder demigoddesses informed she then deferred back to Celestia.

Celestia nodded and continued, “Now with our retirement following your coronation as the ruling princess in sight…”

“Which we hope to be in time for the fall equinox.” Luna joined in with a wink.

Celestia then continued, “We believe that as we step down it is time for Mystica to leave behind our age, including this celebration, and embrace your age.” As she spoke she presented a medallion that looked like a merging of a Sun and Moon face with a ruby as the eye of the Sun part of the face and sapphire as the eye of the Moon part. “We’ll still guide the sun and moon normally, but like during our little vacation before the Swanifying, this is your moment.”

Twilight accepted the medallion, but a small frown formed on her face but nodded.

About half an hour later, Twilight was in the throne room with her friends, “My goodness!” Rarity exclaimed after Twilight relaid what happened to the other five as the demigod looked at the medallion she was given. “How are you feeling about all this?” the enchantress asked as she and the rest watched Twilight, to see her response.

Pinkie held her hand to her mouth as if she was getting ready to bite her nails, “Something like this could definitely send you into full freaky-outy mode!” she exclaimed before she pulled Fluttershy into a hug and shook nervously.

Twilight smiled, “I'm actually fine.” she answered Rarity while countering Pinkie. She then looked to the medallion and lowered her brow with a determined scowl before she put it into her pocket. She stepped so that when she turned faced her friends and Spike. “But if this is gonna be the last Summer Sun Celebration, I want to make sure it's the best Celebration ever!” she declared as a noticeable and resolute grin formed on her lips.

Rainbow’s eyes shot open before she brought her hands to together as if in prayer and went to her knees before she looked upwards, “Please-don't-give-us-more-work... Please-don't-give-us-more-work... Please-don't-give-us-more-work…” she whispered pleading to some higher power.

If Twilight noticed the elementalist’s plight she showed no signs and continued her pitch, “So, even though everything was done, I thought of a few last-minute changes I could use your help with.” she said. Rainbow’s groans of protest fell on deft ears.

Yet before anyone else could speak, “Oh, the end of a beloved holiday? Last-minute changes to a celebration?” Discord’s voice was heard echoing through the throne room. The erisides then poofed into the room in the form he was when he first face Twilight and company, “That sounds positively chaotic!” he said as he twiddled his fingers with a gleeful smirk on his face. He stopped as he noticed Applejack’s bemused expressions, silently asking what he was doing there. He sighed, “Well, as you know, Tia, Lulu and me go way back.” he started, “I terrorized them,” he said as he placed his hand on his chest, “they turned me into stone…” he proceeded to petrify himself. He then cracked and crumbled into pieces. “If this is the last Summer Sun Situation, I simply can't miss it,” he said before he snapped himself back together. As he looked around at the girls and Twilight’s location with respect to the rest and smiled. “Well, I see I've arrived just in time for the ‘Twilight gives her friends an impossibly long and overly detailed list’ predicament,” he said with slight mock but interested in what was to happen.

Twilight stifled a giggle, “I guess somebody isn't the know-it-all he thinks he is.” she said as she handed out seven cards, one to each of her friends (including Spike) and one to Discord.

Everyone looked at each other and then to the card in their hands, “This is it?” Rainbow asked in confusion. Twilight just squinted an eye in confusion. “I think I can speak for us all, and we’re kinda with Discord on this one.”

Twilight smiled as she shook her head, “No more crazy lists.” she said as she shut her eyes and waved her hand, “No more freaking out.” she declared as she opened them. “With your help, I know we've got this.” she finished with a confident grin on her face.

As everyone else smiled in pride for their friend, the mood was cut short as Discord groaned in frustration, “Character growth is so boring.” He then looked towards the card he was given, “Well at least you came prepared.” he pointed out.

Twilight shook her head before she continued, “Now, I need to rewrite my speech. But if you all look at your cards, you'll see—”

“Can't talk now.” Discord cut her off. “Have so much to get done before sunrise.” He then snapped his fingers as he teleported himself and all sans Twilight out of the room.


Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy sulked in the shadows of one of the darkest allies of Chantalot. After barely managing not being spotted, “Why are so many people up in the middle of the night?” Tirek asked as he turned to the other two. Chrysalis shrugged her shoulders in confusion.

Cozy sighed, “It’s the Summer Sun Celebration, it commemorates Celestia’s victory over Nightmare Moon and happens to be our summer solstices thing.” the skyborn informed.

Chrysalis groaned, “Just how many silly holidays do you Mysticans have?” she asked clearly annoyed. Cozy just shrugged her shoulders. Chrysalis shook her head and turned to Tirek “No matter. Getting into the castle won't be a problem.”

The spellthief, however, had taken the time to look ahead, “Are you sure about that?” he asked as he pointed out that around the castle’s entrance were a wide array of fans on various points and angles on the turrets and walls. The fans moved the wind around to the point that made any attempt to breach the castle, save walking through the front gate, if not impossible to actually make it into the castle, all but impossible to enter in stealth.

This left Chrysalis blinking for a solid second, “Those are new.” she finally spoke. She then smirked as she had another thought. “But even so…” she trailed off as she transformed into a female Skyborn dressed in the golden color armor of the ESM. She then proceeded to walk in a march-like manner as a soldier would so to make it to his or her post.

As she departed, “So shall we continue our game?” Cozy asked as she placed a chessboard down on the ground and opened a box of the chess pieces.

Tirek shrugged, “Might as well,” he said as he sat down, “Was it my turn or your's?” he asked.

Cozy took out a notepad as she was putting the pieces on the board in their places, “Yours” she answered.

Near the main gate to the castle, Chrysalis spotted two guard posts in front of the door with one on each side. She saluted the two Skyborn men stationed as guards and continued to the door and tried to open it, but the door didn’t budge. She turned to the two guards, “Transfer. Have to head inside.” she said in a disguised tone to the two. Neither moved. Chrysalis was about to demand them to open but stopped as a female Magicborn in black armor more akin to the night guard came up. The new arrival walked up to the doors and took off the five-pointed star on her breastplate and pressed it to the doors. The doors then opened. Chrysalis tried to follow the female guard but the door slammed in the elf’s face. “Right. Of course,” she said as she looked back over to the two other guards. She laughed nervously as she took off the star on her own breastplate. She held it to the door and nothing happened. She tried it three times before she laughed nervously again, “Uh, do yours get glitchy too?” she asked. There was no answer, “More medallions, more problems, am I right?” she asked in a joke. Nothing. She then left the door and headed back to her conspirators.

The two guards looked at each other and shrugged, “Newbie.” one of them said before the other chuckled.

It took about a half-hour for Chrysalis to find her allies, finding them in a game of chess, both seemed to be close to checkmate the other. Chrysalis crossed her arms as she leaned against a wall of a nearby building, “They've increased security into the castle.” she said before she transformed back into her normal form. “This is going to be more challenging than I thought.” she pouted.

Just then a few meters away, Discord teleported himself, Applejack et al into the city. “Could you not go popping us all over the place, please?!” Rainbow groaned.

Discord scuffed at the elementalist, “Time is of the essence. Let's go, team!” he said as she clapped his hands like a coach in the final prep for a game.

Fluttershy tapped him on the shoulder, “Discord, dear, we need to know what we're doing before we go and do it.” the druid pointed out.

“Wait, dear, you two aren’t… or are you...?” Rainbow asked in confusion.

“We’re only engaged, If we’re were married, you’d know as because you’d be my maid of honor.” Fluttershy countered.

Rainbow was utterly at a loss, “You’re engaged! Since when? Why didn’t I know?”

Applejack then groaned, “Not the time or place, Sugarcube.” the paladin called before she read her card, “Pinkie, you and I are to give Braeburn and the rest of the Apples here some adjustments to the menu.” Pinkie smiled with massive dilated eyes in delight after she read her card and saw that it confirmed the content on Applejack’s card.

Rainbow then actually read her card, once she read she turned to Fluttershy “Okay, Fluttershy, we’re to meet with Feather Flatterfly and the Cloudsdale Weather Crew to give them the changes to the forecast modification.” Fluttershy nodded after she read the card and noted that it agreed with Rainbow’s card.

Rarity, having taken the time to read her card silently as Applejack read hers out loud, was prepared for to state was on her card as did Spike, “Spike, we're going to update the Flaming Sky Firework Troupe with Twilight's new vision of the rocket’s red glare.” she informed. Spike nodded in agreement.

Discord then finally held his card to his eyes, “And I'm supposed to…” he said before he started to read out loud, “‘Discord, I’m cashing in on my favor. Don’t do anything 'Discord-y'?” he asked as he snapped his fingers and was in his human form and garb. He pocketed the card before he crossed his arms and pouted, “Well, that's annoyingly specific!” he bemoaned.

After Discord finished speaking the seven headed off to their places with Discord walking back to the castle. Once they were out of sight, Tirek was the first of the trio of baddies to speak, “Increased security on a crowded holiday with Twilight and her friends bumbling around?” asked while pointing out the new hurdles to their plan. “This is impossible.” he groaned before he looked to the chessboard. He moved his last knight, “Check.”

Cozy looked to the board and smirked before she moved her bishop, “Checkmate.”

Tirek groaned as he pulled his hair, “How do you keep winning?”

“My aura mark is a rook,” she said as she pointed to her skirt. “Strategy is my thing.”

“Enough!” Chrysalis declared and silenced the other two. “This is not impossible, this is perfect,” she said before she rubbed her hands as a smirk formed. “We need a distraction, and those ridiculous fools just gave it to us.” She then pulled the two into a huddle, “Now, do exactly as I tell you.” she said.


About a ten minute walk from the group’s starting point, many of the extended Apple clan were at a large number of stands and carts full of a wide array of apple-based goods. Just as one of them was about to move some of the goods from the carts, Pinkie popped out of nowhere behind the cart causing the people nearby to gasp in shock before they realized it was the pink-haired jester friend of Cousin Applejack. “Step away from the wagons!” Pinkie ordered as she eyed the food while still sound like she had a great deal of authority. “Official food-tasters here on official food-tasting business!” She said and proceeded to devour a full pie.

To the side, Applejack stood next to a man about her age dressed as a rancher with a brown leather vest, a brown Stetson of his own. The man sighed at the sight of his cousin’s friend as he looked back to the last minute alterations. “Well Cousin AJ, it ain't gonna be easy. But I think we can whip up these new cookies Twilight wants before sunrise.”

Applejack patted the man on the back that was delivered as a massive slap to his shoulder, “If anybody can handle some last-minute bakin', Braeburn, it's y'all.” The paladin complemented her cousin. The two smiled before they spotted Pinkie devouring more of the food with chomps and gulps. “I’ll take care of that.” The paladin left her cousin and pulled the jester away, in spite of her protests.

After Applejack had dragged Pinkie away, one of the Apple clan was carrying a bag of flour, but suddenly felt her life essence and magic drain. As she gasped and fell, her fainting was spotted by Braeburn. He and a few others then rushed over to her, “You okay?” Braeburn asked as he helped her back to her feet, or at least so that she was seated. “I just feel weak all of a sudden…” the woman said before another man fainted. As another person went to attend him. Braeburn looked in the bushes thinking that there might be somebody there “Is somebody back there?” he asked. Suddenly he felt drained and fell to his knees, part of his essence gone. Another of the Clan catering ran to him, “What is it?” she asked. Braeburn struggled to get back to his feet, “Everybody…” he trailed as he tried to stand on his own, “get away from the food... “ he ordered , still trailing in his speech, “'til we figure out what's goin' on...!” he finished as he started to walk toward the castle. Everyone calmly but still in a slight panic left the stands and wagons.
From within the bushes Tirek laughed at the sight, his form had changed to what it was when he gloated over Celestia, Luna, and Cadance. He reached into a wagon and pulled out forty pies and continued to laugh before we went to the rendezvous spot.


Around the same time as Applejack and Pinkie were with Braeburn and the other Apples, Fluttershy and Rainbow were with as a Skyborn man with red glasses a white suit that screamed he was bureaucrat, “The princess wants what?!” the man asked in a panic.

Rainbow point to card, “Just what's on that little card.” she said not getting why he was freaking out, “ No big deal, Feather.” she added

As the man read the card, “No big d-d—?!” he asked before he started to hyperventilate. “I-I-It's am-much more aggressive weather pattern modifications than what was originally ordered!” he shouted as he grabbed Rainbow by her shoulders and was about to shake her, “This... This is... very irregular! We'll need to... No, first we must... Wait! We ca—” he trailed off, stuttered and panicked before he finally dropped to his knees and wailed as he was about to break down.

As Feather flailed about, Fluttershy walked up to him and took hold of his upper arms. This caused him to stop and look at Fluttershy, “Mr. Flatterfly, take a breath,” she ordered. Feather deeply inhaled and held his breath. After which, “Let it out slowly.” the druid then next ordered.

Feather then exhaled and had calmed down slightly. He took off his glasses, cleaned them and put them back on, “Please inform her highest, Princess Twilight Sparkle, that we will do our best.”

Fluttershy smiled and hugged Feather, “We're sure you're doing an excellent job.” She then back away. However, Feathers was still tense.

Fluttershy looked to Rainbow and bobbed her head to Feathers. “Oh, yeah, totally.” the elementalist said as she rubbed the back of her head, “You're not gonna panic and screw it up at all!” she declared in an attempt to foster Feather’s confidence. After she got a bemused look from Fluttershy, “I’m gonna shut up now.” She grinned and the two left.

Feather’s composure fell within five seconds, “I... I... I'm not built for high-pressure situations!” he shouted as his panic set in again.

“Golly.” came the voice of a little girl. Feather turned and saw Cozy Glow smiling innocently as she hovered near him. “Sounds like you need some help,” she said as she offered her hand.

“Who are you?” Feather asked as adjusted his glasses.

Cozy giggled, as she closed her eyes, “Somebody’s who's organized enough to handle the small stuff so you can focus on the big picture!” she stated as she looked around and flew around Feather as she took the card Rainbow gave him.

“The big…” Feather trailed off. “Yes! That sounds right!” he exclaimed as he starting to properly calm down.

Cozy chuckled as she read the card, “This kind of weather finetuning has to be handled delicately.” she said after she looked at it. “Good thing I'm here. I'll take care of everything,” she said as a sinister grin formed.


At the same time as Rainbow and Fluttershy left Feather, Rarity and Spike were at awe at the fireworks that were conjured. “Whoa!” Spike said mesmerized by the sight.

Rarity turned to Spike, “The Flaming Sky Firework Troupe is a marvel,” the enchantress committed as the two walked to the stage where Celestia and Luna would stand for the rising of the sun. There the troupe, which was composed of Magicborns, were practicing for their role in the performance. Once the two were just off of the stage, “Marvelous as always, Fire Flare,” Rarity said to the leader of the troupe, a woman with fire like hair and dressed in white. “I am so glad you accepted this commission.” the enchantress said to Fire.

Fire smiled, “We take pride in what we do.” she responded.

Spike flew up to Fire and handed the card given to him by Twilight, “These last-minute changes aren't too challenging, are they?” he asked as he went back to hovering next to Rarity’s shoulder.

Fire looked at the card and shut her eyes as she laughed with a solid ‘Ha!’. She then turned to both Spike and Rarity, “The more challenging, the better!” she declared as she clutched her left fist as if she was ready for a fight. “We aim to astound!” she added as she sent a firework from her focus gem into the sky. She then turned her back to Rarity and Spike, “Now, if you don't mind, we do have a new routine to prepare.” she stated as she went to the rest of her troupe. “Shine your focus gems!” she ordered.

With that Rarity and Spike nodded to each other and left. Unbeknownst to them, the woman who was tasked to take the photos for the Chantalot Historical Society’s article on Princess Twilight Sparkle’s School of Friendship walked towards the stage. However, if one was fortunate enough to not blink, they would have noticed that for a second her eyes were the same as Chrysalis’. As Chrysalis in her disguise walked by, “Very impressive.” she admitted, albeit in a backhanded tone.

Fire turned to face Chrysalis, “Thank you.” she said somewhat bored. She long learned this routine, someone would say that but what they meant was that they could do better if part of the troupe, especially given the tone. Normally Fire would allow the challenger to put their money were their mouth was, but as it was the night before the Summer Solstice, “Unfortunately, we have no room for anybody else at this time... “ she opted to employ a different approach however she trailed off as she didn’t recall if she got the challenger. She cleared her throat, “I'm sorry?” she with the implication of asking for the name.

Chrysalis pointed to herself, “Crackle Cosette.” she said, “And I don't want to join your silly little troupe.” she added not making any attempt to mock.

“Pardon?” Fire asked as she was tempted to take offense at that but had elected to hold her temper for a moment. While the rest were certainly taken aback.

Chrysalis again pointed to herself, “Oh, I meant no offense.” she then started towards the stage.
“It just seems a pity for Magicborn to waste their talents on something so…” she trailed off as he walked among the troupe. “Inconsequential.” she elected to articulate. The rest of the Magicborn members of the troupe started to mutter among themselves. Chrysalis continued, “Unlike Skyborn and Earthborn, we Magicborn truly wield magic.” She smiled as she noted that her words were working. “We are the most powerful of the tribes in the land. Don't you ever feel you're destined for more than…” she trailed off as she started to leave, “performances?” she elected to use and left. The muttering of the troupe members brought a wicked grin to her face.


After Chrysalis left the troupe, back inside the castle, Twilight and her friends were once again gathered in the hallway near the throne room. Twilight smiled as she was briefed by her friends. “It's all coming together.” she declared as she stepped to her friends. “I really think this is gonna be the best Summer Sun Celebration ever!” she declared.

“You've done an outstanding job, darling.” Rarity stated.

Twilight smiled, “We've all done an outstanding job!” the demigod countered and pulled everyone, sans Discord, into a group hug.

“And what about me?” Discord asked as he leaned in, getting into Twilight’s face. He straightened up and closed his eyes with a smug grin on his face, “You'll be happy to know that I have been watching myself all night,” he said as he conjured a set of binoculars and looked into them with the larger lens reappearing so that Discord was looking at his own back, “and I have yet to do one "Discord-y" thing.” he said as he lowered the binoculars and smiled.

“Now, that truly is amazing.” came Luna’s voice which caught Discord off guard.

Everyone turned to see both Luna and Celestia enter the hallway. Celestia turned her focus to Twilight, “Twilight, we know you had, uh,” she tried to find the right word before she laughed.
“difficulties using the amulet to raise the sun and moon.” she pointed out. She and Luna looked at each other and nodded. “We thought perhaps a practice session before the festivities might be in order,” Celestia suggested.

Twilight raised her hand to make a point, “That's…” she trailed for a second, “a good idea.” She conceded. “Thank you all so much.” the three then walked into the throne room and shut the door behind them.

Everyone smiled in pride at their friend’s growth, “It might have taken about four years, but I sure am proud o' her.” Applejack commented. Everyone nodded in agreement.

As the lot turned to leave, “Yeah!” Spike added, “She finally realizes things will turn out fine, even when she isn't micromanaging every little detail.”

However, this joy was short-lived as they were greeted by Braeburn, who was barely able to stand on his own. As he stumbled, Applejack rushed to him, “Braeburn? W-What's wrong?” she asked in a slight panic for her cousin’s health.

“Earthborn sick... Food missin'... Can't... bake... anythin'...” the cowboy answered trailing off as he spoke before he fainted.

Before Braeburn’s words had the chance to sink in and allow for the group to find a solution, a male Skyborn guard came running in, “Something is wrong with the weather!” he shouted. He pointed toward one of the windows, “Storms, hurricanes, fog – you name it! It's a disaster out there!” he exclaimed. Rainbow rushed to the window to see heavy rainfall, sleet, hail, lightning, and the speed of which the clouds were blown about hinted to the existence of the fast wind.

Yet things didn’t let up as Fire and her troupe strutted in, “Rarity!” Fire shouted. “Please inform her highness that we will not be performing! A simple fireworks show is beneath us! We're better than that!” she and her troupe then turned on a dime with their noses up and eyes shut.

“What the actual buck?” Applejack asked as she used her lay on hands on her cousin. As Braeburn gasped once he regained consciousness. “Everything was fine a minute ago!” she exclaimed to her friends as she helped her still weak cousin to his feet.

Fluttershy looked out the window as, Rainbow was still there frozen in disbelief, “Apparently, a lot can change in a minute.” she commented. “And before anyone accuses Discord, Zona Vero!” she said as she flew back to the group. “As you all know only the Truth can be said in a zone of truth, no matter who speaks it,” She took a breath, “Discord didn’t cause this,” she said. She then smiled, “Knew it.” And with that, “Dispel.” she whispered and the zone of truth dissolved. As everyone looked to the druid. “Sorry,” she added, “But what are we gonna do?” she asked as she held her chin.

“Do about what?” came Twilight’s voice. This caused everyone’s eyes to shoot open in terror. They turned to see Twilight walking towards them, albeit her focus was a set of notecards.

Everyone rapidly moved to block Twilight’s view of the window, “What are you doing here?” Spike asked with a nervous laugh as he flew to be at Twilight’s side, diverting her view more so.

Twilight tapped her note cards with the back of her right hand, “I forgot these.” she replied. She then squinted at her friends perplexed at her friends’ behavior, “You guys okay?” she asked.

Applejack took a step forward and opened her mouth as she prepared to answer the princess. Yet, before she could utter a single syllable, Rainbow dashed to be right next to Twilight and turned her to face the doors she came out of, “Well, we’re not quite sure what to do now, everything’s all ready and all!” She then let slip a forced laugh.

Twilight looked at her copy of the cards she gave the seven, “Hump, Maybe I was too organized.” she said as she held her chin as she walked back to where she came from,
Perhaps I need to allow for some vagueness. I’ll make a note for the future.” Twilight said before she was just out of earshot.

“Well, that's a relief!” Rainbow exclaimed somewhat split.

Once the doors Twilight opened closed. Everyone, sans Applejack, sighed relief. The paladin glared at the others with her ‘frowny’ eyes. “Oh come on Applejack, Twilight is finally learning to not let her stress get the better of her.” Rarity said before the paladin could verbally scold the other six. “If she finds out everything went wrong, it could be devastating!” the enchantress exclaimed. The paladin crossed her arms with her hand holding the opposite upper arm and tapped both of her index fingers on her arms, her silent judgment speaking volumes.

“Let’s just fix it all before she notices.” Pinkie said after a second of thought. “No lying necessary,” she added. Applejack lowered her hands and sighed as she shook her head, dipping it downward in slight sorrow.

“Um-hum,” Spike cleared his throat. “Not to add more rain to the storm, but we’d need a miracle to fix everything before Twilight could notice it.” the dragon pointed out.

Rainbow flew to be above Discord, “We have a miracle!” she pointed out, “Don't we?” she asked as she gave Discord pleading eyes and puffed out trembling lower lip.

Discord was dressed in a long white robe with a halo and two white bird-like wings from his back, a small harp in his hand, “I suppose I could fix everything. But to snap all problems away is a ‘Discord-y’ thing to do and Twilight cashed in her favor for me to not do anything ‘Discord-y’ tonight.” As Rainbow’s face turned to a scowl, “But isn't the real miracle here the miracle of teamwork and character growth?” he asked before poofed away.

“OH, COME ON!” Rainbow shouted in frustration. “He still owes me and Pinkie a favor.” she pouted as she crossed her arms.

“It doesn’t matter,” Fluttershy interjected, “We’ve salvaged a lot without Discord, we can salvage tonight too.” the druid pointed out. “Twilight needs us. Whatever happened, we can fix this.” she declared. There was a sudden flash of lightning and a boom of thunder.

“What did happen?” the dragon asked as he wanted to get to the heart of the matter.


As the chaos stormed about, Cozy, Tirek, and Chrysalis crept silently behind various things to obscure them from view, “Best... road trip... ever!” Cozy cheered.


Applejack and Pinkie were at the food stands, looking at everyone that, unbeknownst to the two had their life essence drained by Tirek. Pinkie was dressing a stereotypical doctor’s white lab coat, a stethoscope, and an old head mirror. Pinkie was examining one of the Apple clan, as Applejack was using her lay on hands to help restore the others. After she looked at her record observation, “Even if I was an actual doctor, I would have no idea what's wrong.”

“Sugarcube, you are a licensed physician, dentist, psychologist, for Apple's sake you’re a licensed veterinarian too. You are a doctor!” the paladin groaned. She then took a breath and looked at the food, “There's gotta be a reason.” She stated. “Something got 'em all sick. Maybe the food?” she asked.

Pinkie’s eyes shot open in horror, “I ate the food, too!” she shouted. “Does that mean I'm sick?!” she asked in fright. “Oh, nooo!” she panicked. But after nothing happened for almost a minute, “Nope! I feel fine.” she said before eating a cupcake. Applejack could only cover her face.


While Applejack was silently bemoaning her friend, one of the guards at one of the entrances was greeted by Cozy, but before he could sound the alarm his life essence was drained by Tirek. After the guard slipped into unconsciousness, Chrysalis took his medallion and placed it on the door. After the door opened she returned the medallion before the three entered the castle.


While the trio entered the castle, Fluttershy was sitting next to a hyperventilating Feather. Above them, Rainbow, the Wonderbolts and other elementalist flying around in their attempts to ‘gather’ the storm. “I don't know how this happened!” Feather finally said. “I'm gonna be fired for... for sure!” he exclaimed before he curled up into a fetal position.

Fluttershy placed her hand on his shoulder, “Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts will have all the weather rounded up any minute.” the druid tried to assure. Her efforts, however, went off like a lead balloon as Rainbow was heard yelling as she crashed into a nearby bush. Fluttershy gave a weak ‘teehee’.


As Fluttershy helped Rainbow back to her feet, Cozy opened the door to the throne room, which had a flock of geese which seemed to be at rest. “Not here,” Cozy said as she left the door ajar. “The Archives are in a different part of the castle,” she said as the three left the room. Unbeknownst to them, one of the geese noticed the door was left ajar and followed the shadows that the trio cast.


As the lone goose followed the shadows, Rarity and Spike were at the stage as the troupe was packing up their fireworks. “What about ‘aiming for perfection’?” Rarity asked Fire, paraphrasing Fire when she said about the troupe’s goal.

As Fire shut the back of the cart, “We've set our sights higher.” Fire replied as she looked up to the sky.

“Higher than perfection?” Spike asked perplexed at the reasoning.

Fire smirked before she laughed, “No, my little dragon, higher than putting on a silly little show for the others.” she answered as the troupe started to leave.

“But you were so excited before.” Rarity commented not able to see what happened, “What changed?” she asked.


While Rarity was at a lost over Fire and her troupe’s action, the goose that followed the trio’s shadow ended up in the hallway near the private library of Celestia and Luna. Before it when far it came across another goose. The first goose honked, and then the goose it came across. The first goose then turned around and went back to its post. Once it was out of sight, the second transformed to reveal that it was Chrysalis. She then walked back to the other two. Tirek was trying to jimmy open the lock. After a few more seconds he opened the cage door and the three walked in.


As the trio entered the private archives of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, Twilight was walking with the two elder demigods, “You two just enjoy the festivities. I have a few surprises in store for—” she was cut off as Discord appeared out of nowhere next to the three. “Yes, Discord?” she asked.

Discord sat down on one of the chairs dressed in a red tropical flower shirt and black sunglasses, “Oh, well, don't mind me.” he said before he took a sip of a drink he conjured. “I'm just here for the chaos,” he said before lightning struck above and thunder crackled inturn. Discord then laughed in delight, “And here we go!” he said before Rainbow whooshed by.

The three present demigods followed the direction Rainbow went and to the direction, she flew from, “What is Rainbow Dash doing?” she asked. Before she got an answer she heard a slosh of soup in a large cauldron. They turned to see Pinkie pulling a cart with a large cauldron full of soup, “Pinkie, is this soup?” Twilight asked as she flew up to her friends with one eye particular shut, in confusion.

“Yes!” the jester answered as she turned to face Twilight. “I…” she started as she knew Twilight was going to ask her why but trailed off as she tried to find a good answer the demigod wouldn’t question. “was really hungry?” she said in a question and gave a big toothy nervous smile.

Before Twilight could question further as she saw through the lie, the demigod heard a fair amount of grumbling near the stage. There a small army of Magicborn was speaking up to Rarity in anger. From the stage, Rarity seemed to counter the protest, “Nobody understands wanting to take pride in your work more than I do!” Rarity exclaimed starting to lose her own temper. “You could do more with your magic than make frilly dresses!” a member of Fire’s troupe pointed out in anger. Rarity waved her left hand dismissively as she closed her eyes, “Oh, pffft.” she added. She opened eyes, “Nobody makes frills anymore. This season's actually all about simplicity—” she started, failing to notice the growing anger of the gathered Magicborn.

This was not missed by Spike as he flew to be at her shoulder level, “You’re missing the point, Rarity!” he shouted.

Before Twilight could go over to see what was going on she was almost tackled by a panicking Feather, “Princess! I beg your forgiveness!” he graveled as he dropped to his knees facing looking at her feet. “It's entirely my fault!” he declared.

“What is?” Twilight asked before lightning struck followed by another boom of thunder.

“That!” Feather shouted before he let go and froze in terror of what could befall him.

Before Twilight could press the matter, Fluttershy flew and started to fly Feather away. “Oh, um, just a slight hiccup in the weather,” she said before she laughed nervously.

This left Twilight even more confused. However, she soon spotted Applejack as she was at the food stands making baked goods. “Applejack, what is going on?” she asked.

“Large answer or short?” Applejack asked. Before Twilight could answer. “Apparently after Pinkie and I gave the changes to Braeburn, some of the Earthborn with him, including him, started feeling ill. As for the weather modification, something went wrong after Fluttershy and Rainbow left Feather and his crew and finally after Spike and Rarity left the firework troupe they got inta their heads this sudden superiority complex.” the paladin answered. “Then it was decided that we try to fix this ourselves. Not my idea to hide this from you because they thought you’d freak out.” the paladin added. “Now if you ain’t gonna figure out a means to put this all back on track, can you freak out somewhere else, because my hands are full and we’re short on time.” Twilight then teleported Spike, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Rainbow to where she and Applejack were, “Ah told her everything,” Applejack said.

“You see-” Rainbow started only to be cut off by Twilight.

“And you thought not telling me everything was a total disaster would avoid a freak-out?!” she asked getting to the heart of the matter.

Spike landed and tapped his front talons, “When you say it like that, it sounds like a really bad plan.” the dragon admitted as everyone sans Applejack looked down to the ground ashamed of themselves. Twilight then inhaled.

From his chair, Discord pulled out a set of binoculars and zoomed in to focus on Twilight, “Here it comes!” he exclaimed in excitement.

Once she finished the inhale, she exhaled with a slight smile on her face, “I know how I used to react, but I really have changed.” she said to her friends. While she spoke her calm tone showed that she has changed. “Panicking won't solve anything,” she stated. She looked to each of her friends, one at a time, “But we can handle whatever problems come our way as long as we handle them together!” she declared.

“Spoken like a true leader.” came Celestia’s voice as she and Luna walked up to the group, “How can we help?” she asked.

Twilight pulled out a sheet of paper, “I love a good to-do list. So tell me exactly what happened so we can figure out exactly what "to do" to fix it.”

“Don’t need to.” Rainbow said as she flew up to Discord, “You know, snapping your fingers to solve someone else’s problem is not something you’d do that is ‘Discord-y’, unless it’s Fluttershy.” The elementalist pointed out. “So I’m cashing in my favor, snap to it,” she ordered.

Discord was about to protest, but after a few seconds of thought, “You’ll have to deal with the troupe.” he said and snapped his talon. Rainbow gave a thumbs up to Twilight. The princess than when to Fire and the two talked.


As Discord was about to snap, Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy were searching the library. It took a while but Cozy found a book with a rendering of Grogar’s Bewitching Bell on the cover chained up. She flew to it and after some work, managed to get it out of the chains. Once free, Cozy flew to the Chrysalis and Tirek with the tome. The trio smiled and Chrysalis conjured a teleportation ring and the three vanished in green fire.


With the weather restored to a calm state, the food in order and the troupe walked out of their sudden change, Fire whistled signifying to launch the fireworks to start the pre-dawn ushering of the celebration. As the fireworks died down, trumpets flared as Luna and Celestia flanked Twilight on the center of the stage. Twilight’s focus gem glowed as she held the medallion that allowed her to move the sun and moon. First, her gem glowed silver as the moon was guided along the path that seemed most idea. As the moon set along the western horizon, Twilight’s focus gem then glowed golden as she began to guide the sun as it rose. This was greeted by all in attendance cheering. As the crowd’s cheers died down, Twilight stepped to the age of the stage. She took a break and placed her hand on her throat, causing her vocal cords to glow purple under the skin.

“Thank you, thank you all,” she said, her voice loud enough for all to hear and not be forced back by the effects of something like Celestia’s and Luna’s Chanetalot Royal Voice. “This year’s Summer Sun Celebration had a few more hurdles than normal to set up, but thanks to you all we once again, on this the longest day of the year, we are reminded to not fear the night, for there is always a new day to look forward too. For a thousand years, The Summer Sun Celebration has been held in honor of Princess Celestia’s banishing of Nightmare Moon, but for the last three years it has marked the return of Princess Luna.” Twilight paused and took a breath, “Yet as the sun rises on this Summer Solstice, and we look towards Mystica’s future, we must allow the past to rest.” Twilight paused again, “As such, it is with a heavy heart I must say that this will be the last Summer Sun Celebration.”

The crowd gasped in shock. Twilight then smiled as she looked to the crowd, “But there is also a great joy to be had too, as we now celebrate something more important than a sisterly spat blown out of proportion and the reconciliation. No longer will we commemorate that conflict.” Twilight continued. “Instead, we will mark this day to celebrate the two people who have, for longer than most of us can truly grasp, watched over us, guarding us while we rest at night and fostering our growth during the day, and how much they and everything they have done for us means to us, to all of us. From this day forward, today the Mystican Summer Solstice observation will be known as the Festival of the Two Sisters!” Twilight declared as she turned and stepped to the side, gesturing that the crowd’s focus should shift to Celestia and Luna. The two older demigods were left speechless. They covered their mouths as the crowd cheered. After a solid second, Twilight spoke again, “Now let’s go eat!” she declared and the crowd cheered before heading over to food stands.

As the audience filed out, Celestia, Luna and Twilight’s friends walked up to Twilight as the purple light from her neck faded. “We don't know what to say,” Celestia said speaking for herself and Luna as the two hugged Twilight in gratitude.

Once the two ended their hug, Pinkie popped next to Twilight and giggled, “A brand new holiday?” she asked. “You're my kind of princess!” she declared as she hugged Twilight squeezing the demigod in the process.

“I'm just glad we pulled it off.” Twilight strained before Pinkie released her hold and the two were joined by Applejack et al.

The six looked at each other but before they spoke, “I get it, why you didn’t tell me and assumed I’d freak out.” Twilight said understandingly. “I have always freaked out in the past and even if as my friends should trust me when I said I’ve changed, action will always speak louder than words.” she paused. “Maybe next time you’ll believe me,” she added and got a few weak laughs from the rest. Twilight then reached out her arms and wings and reached behind her friend, “Because I'm sure there's gonna be plenty of things I'll need my best friends' help with.” she said before everyone ahhed and pulled into a group hug and they all laughed happily.

From a low-lying cloud, Discord, now in his draconic Erisadies-form, lying on his stomach, watched the group with a crescent moon shaped cookie in his paw, “You know, it really does seem like you just might be ready for whatever comes next, your Majesty.” he said happy at how Twilight has grown before he started to eat his cookie.


The day following the Summer Solstices, Cozy, Tirek (who was back to his state before the trio left) and Chrysalis sat in the main gathering room of Grogar’s lair. Shortly they spotted the satyr walk in. “Sooooo did you find what you're looking for?” Cozy asked as she flew up to him.

Grogar snorted, “Once again, I've found success where you all find failure.” He stated. “I set out to retrieve the artifact I have located. I shall return before the fall equinox and in time for Twilight’s coronation.” Grogar said as he walked. “And on that day, Mystica will ours for the taking.” he declared and left the trio.

After waiting for about half a minute for Grogar to be out of earshot, Tirek pouted with a clear “Hmph!” while he scowled and crossed his arms.

Chrysalis rolled her eyes, “Oh, stop pouting, you big baby.” the elf chastised him.

Cozy flew to be on Tirek’s shoulders, “You knew you couldn't stay that buff. You had to return all the life force to those Earthborn so Grogar doesn't suspect anything.” the Skyborn reminded Tirek as she landed in his arms, crossing her arms behind her head.

Tirek moved his arms and caused Cozy to fall, “I’m well aware of why I had to do, but that does not mean I have to like it.”

Cozy sat up and rubbed her rear and back to preempt the possible bruising, “Well, I don't like that we worked so hard to destroy their party and they still pulled it off.” Cozy pointed out.
“But you don't see me complaining!” she added before she sulked about the

“And you got your Aura Mark playing chess.” Chrysalis mocked Cozy as she got up, “Have you forgotten so quickly?” she asked as she revealed the book they stole from the personal archives of Celestia and Luna, “Our goal wasn't to destroy their Summer Solstice celebration. The disruption was to distract. And now we have exactly what we need.”

As Tirek himself got to his feet, “And no time to waste.” the spellthief called attention to the time they had seemed long but was going to to go by fast. “We have to master the Bell before Grogar returns,” he added

Chrysalis smiled and had a small chuckle, “We've managed to stay one step ahead of everybody so far.” she retorted.

Cozy then had a thought, “You know, it really was super easy to get all those Earthborn and Skyborn and Magicborn to turn on each other.” she pointed out the ease with which the trio was able to sow chaos.

Chrysalis rubbed her chin as she thought back on how easily she got the troupe to bend to her will, “It was, wasn't it? Now that is something to think about…” Chrysalis then opened the book. “What the-!” she exclaimed. “Is this even…?” she trailed off as she asked and showed the book to the other two.

Cozy scratched her head in confusion. Tirek, however, took the book, “Its ‘Bullion’ as it existed before Bullion put his name on it.” Tirek said. As the two looked at him. “It will take me a day or two to translate it.”

Comments ( 6 )

“Sugarcube, you are a licensed physician, dentist, psychologist, for Apple's sake you’re a licensed veterinarian too. You are a doctor!” the paladin groaned. She then took a breath and looked at the food, “There's gotta be a reason.” She stated. “Something got 'em all sick. Maybe the food?” she asked.

She's what now? :trixieshiftright: Okay, I'm not even going to ask how any of that is even possible.

Okay, I know this was supposed to be the transition episode to Twilight's rise in leadership, but I'm honestly a little off-put by how unnaturally calm she was when things started going south, both in this chapter and the actual episode. I mean, I would have been satisfied if you had given her maybe half a second to scream out her frustration. Maybe my nitpick might be a bit of self-projection on my part. I mean, I'm still learning how to stay calm under pressure also, and I honestly would have gotten frustrated for even just a little bit before getting down to brass tacks.

Oh, almost forgot. I assume that Fluttercord got canonized in the last few episodes?

9834979

Okay, I'm not even going to ask how any of that is even possible.

Well other than, 'It's Pinkie Pie, don't question it,' a better answer is that Pinkie strives to throw the perfect party for whoever she's throwing a party for, and the attendants, which involve understanding them on a psychological level, knowing what to serve and what activities can be at the party and how to maximize the fun and minimize the possible injuries and to help heal, and not all parties are for humans and not all guests are, hence being a vet.

As for the rest, it's a fair critique, but I look at it like weight loss, you don't notice losing one pound on a given day from another, but you will notice losing 20 pounds at the end of a month.

9834992
I will not spoil anything

I like how Discordsaid he wouldnt do anything Discordy, yet he teleported everyone right next to the villains so they could ovehear the exposition and make plans that would reduce and limit the amount of damage they would have to cause for their distractions.

I beleive past Discord was angry because Future Discord had Starwirls Epell Time traveled back to tell him it would be thousands of years before anyone would even try to be his freind.

Especially given what Discord did with Sombra.

As for the Medallion being a Remote Control, Id have thought its not for the Sun and Moon directly, but for the Canterhorn Mountain powered Artifact Orrery?

Pinkie also has Geologist, Mechanic, Engineer etc?

9835503
Um, he teleported before he read the card
The medallion isn't a remote control, it's a conduit of Celestia's power over the sun and Luna's power over the moon and allows Twilight access to those powers so that she could move the sun and moon.
As for the rest? Huh? I don't understand what you mean.

Login or register to comment