• Published 16th Apr 2019
  • 1,436 Views, 54 Comments

My Little Mages: Onset of Resolution - Foxhelm



With Celestia and Luna preparing to retire, a long forgotten villian, Grogar starts his grand plan, but Sombra wants none of it. A My Little Mage retelling of Begining of the End

  • ...
4
 54
 1,436

Twilight's Dawn

Twilight teleported to the hallway of the castle in Chantalot. “So what’s the plan?” Rainbow asked Twilight.

Twilight took a breath and sighed, “I don’t have one, but we have to confront Sombra somehow.”

"Halt!" came a familiar voice. The girls turned to see Flash draw his sword.

Twilight's eyes widened as her pupils constricted. "He did not!" she all but shouted. Flash prepared to charge the six, however Twilight sent a hold spell on him which restrained him to the closest wall. "Sorry babe, I got to deal with Sombra first." She cringed slightly when she saw that she knocked Flash out in the process of sending him to the wall. She then turned to her friends. "This is getting ridiculous." she sighed in frustration. "How did Sombra hex him?" she asked.

"Didn't Adagio bewitched him?" Rainbow pointed out.

"Yes, but they didn't control him, not like that." Applejack point out.

"But didn't Adagio just wanted to weaken your will," Fluttershy commented, "But clearly Sombra wanted to conquer Mystica."

"There has to be more to it." Twilight asked.

"It could also be a matter of will power," Rarity commented, "Sombra has gone from victory to victory, boasting his will and resolve, while the destruction of the Tree, the Elements and the Rainbow of Light has, well let's be honest, been devastating to our wills."

Twilight sighed, "I can't deal with this now, we got to stop Sombra, but I don't know how."

“Well, this doesn’t look good for you.” The six turned to see Discord just walk in the hallway not far in front of them with a jar of jam in on hand and a pickle in the other. “No Elements? No princesses? And your boyfriend is bewitched? Seems like you're in a bit of a pickle!” he said as he held out the pickle, “Or are you in…” he trailed off as he opened the jar, “...more of a jam?” he punned as he held out the jar. “Ha,” he added as dipped the pickle into the jam and pulled it out and started to chew the pickle dipped with jam. “Mmm!”

“Discord, we need your help.” Twilight started. “Sombra destroyed the Tree of Harmony, the Elements, the Rainbow of Light, he’s immune to the Crystal Heart, and Celestia and Luna could only banish him the last time.” she pleaded. “Please Discord!”

Discord snapped his finger sending his jar of jam and pickle back to his realm with a sigh of disappointment, “Fine, but just to be clear, I was really rooting for you to do this on your own and parlay that confidence boost into being the best protectors of Mystica you can be.” he commented as he walked ahead of them and threw open the doors of the throne room. Yet as soon as the door open a spear went right into him, barely missing his heart, with such force it brought him to the floor with the spear nailing him to the floor.

“DISCORD!!!” Fluttershy shouted as she went to her knees and to Discord’s side as the others gasped.

“Ha ha ha ha!” came Sombra’s laugh from Celestia’s throne. He rose from the throne and began to walk towards the lot. Once he was three feet from them, “Did you honestly think that I didn’t have a plan to deal with him?” he asked as he mocked the druid. Fluttershy reached for the spear, “I wouldn’t remove that spear at this moment if I were you.” Sombra remarked, which gave Fluttershy pause. “That spear is made of Nirvanan steel.” Sombra pointed out. “A very rare steel can only be smelted by someone who while still alive achieved the state of Nirvana. Because of that it technically exists out of the chaotic cycle of Life and thus it can wound or kill Discord and there is nothing he can do about it. And if you pull it out now, you run the risk of cutting his heart.”

Discord coughed as he tried to reach for the spear, “DON’T MOVE!” Fluttershy ordered. “Same your strength, you’ll need it until we can get it out safely.”

Discord took a breath, “I’m sorry girls, but it looks like you’re on your own.”

“What do we do now?” Applejack asked.

“I don’t know,” Twilight confessed. “He was our last hope, we can’t beat Sombra without Discord.” the demigod said as she dropped to her knees in defeat.

Sombra chuckled, “You couldn't beat me with him, either!” he laughed as he took another step forward to them. “Now, how shall I eliminate this clutter?” he asked as he pulled black covered magic in his right hand and prepared to blast the lot. Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow, and Pinkie got in front of the rest, with their weapons drawn. Sombra smiled, “But perhaps one last speech is in order. So go ahead, Lord of Chaos, give them the speech in which you tell the druid that she will always be kind, that the paladin will always be honest, the enchantress will always be generous, that the elementalist will always be loyal, that the jesters will bring laughter wherever she goes and that Princess Twilight Sparkle will always embody magic or whatever sentimental sap you have up your sleeve, it will take more than that to stop me” Sombra mocked.

Twilight rose from her knees and stepped to be in front of her friends, “You’re right Sombra, just being told that is not enough for us to beat you, but that’s only part of the truth.” She took a breath and looked back to Discord, “But there is so much more.” she said and turned to face Sombra as she began to pool her magic into an orb in her hand. “I’ve lost sight of what was in front of me.” She looked towards her friends, she then sent a beam of her magic at Sombra, Sombra tried to block it with his, but his was overpowered, “I don’t need the Elements,” she said as she sent another beam as she stepped forward and forced Sombra back, “I don’t need the Rainbow of Light,” she continued to blast Sombra as she moved forward and forced Sombra back. “I don’t need the Crystal Heart,” she again blasted the king, “I don’t need Celestia and Luna to defeat you.” Twilight finished as the group stood in front of Sombra. “You fight alone and only for yourself. I fight with my friends and we fight for so much more than ourselves.”

Fluttershy took Twilight’s hand, “For our friends!” the druid declared.

Rarity took Fluttershy’s other hand and Applejack took Twilight’s other hand, “For our family!” the paladin and enchantress declared.

Pinkie too Applejack’s other hand and Rainbow took Rarity’s other hand, “For our home!” the jester and elementalist declared.
“For Mystica!” Twilight declared as her eyes became fields of white and her hair started to float like Celestia’s and Luna’s as they all began to float upwards with Rainbow and Pinkie taking each other’s open hand.

Sombra smiled as he brought a hand to his left eye and removed a tear. He then clapped, “Yes. Show me your true power.” he said as he threw his arms open. “Do it.” Twilight took a breath and then from her heart and went to Sombra. The specter threw his arms open and accepted the blast, the red iris of his eyes becoming green, “I’ll see you in Hell soon enough, Grogar,” he whispered as a smirk formed on his face as he was dissolved by the beam from Twilight.


As Sombra dissolved, everyone in Chantalot was freed from hex. Everyone looked at each other confused at what happened, namely those from Magiville were even there.


Back in Magiville as Sombra dissolved, the black crystals too dissolved and the plants stopped their assault and started to calm and went back into the forest. “She did it,” Luna said to Celestia. Celestia nodded in turn.

“But perhaps it’s too soon for her to take on our role.” Celestia mused.

“We can wait a few more years,” Luna suggested, Celestia nodded.


With Sombra defeated, the girls turned back to Discord. Twilight took a breath and focused her attention on the spear and slowly and carefully pull it out of Discord as Applejack prepared to and applied lay on hands and Fluttershy prepared and cast cure light wounds. Once the spear was out. “Okay, it’s out.” Fluttershy said as she then laid down and hugged him, “Thank Faust you’re okay,” she said as cried into his shoulder.

Discord returned the hug, “I’ll be just fine, but if it’s not too much could I have a little glass of water, please?” he asked with as he tried to sit up. Fluttershy ended the hug and nodded before she left to get him some water. Applejack rolled her eyes as she once again applied her lay on hands onto Discord to make sure he was fully healed.

Just then Celestia and Luna teleported into the castle. The two looked at the sight, “It looks like Sombra is no longer a problem.” Celestia commented.

“Celestia! Luna!” Twilight said as she went to the two and hugged Celestia. After the hug, Twilight sighed and looked towards her feet, “I should have called on you as soon as I knew about Sombra’s return instead of charging in to save Cadance, Flurry, Shining and Krystalopolies without a throughout the plan. And because of my lack of planning, I drained the Tree of Harmony’s power via using the Elements on Sombra so soon after they were used on The Nightstalker in comparison to the Tree’s life. Not only that, with the Tree gone, the box that housed the Rainbow of Light was destroyed, dispelling it the winds.” Twilight sighed again, “A good leader knows when to ask for help, and I didn't. Mystica deserves somebody much better than me to rule after you.”

Celestia shook her head and placed her hand on Twilight’s shoulder, this caused Twilight took back up, “Do you know what of the last thing you said that was wrong?” Celestia asked. Twilight shook her head, “I’ll start by telling you what you got right, a good leader knows when to ask for help.” Celestia stopped. “So do you know what you said was wrong?” Celestia asked again. Twilight’s utter confusion answered Celestia’s question. Celestia shook her head, “You do know when to ask for help, you are a good leader and Mystica doesn’t deserve somebody better than you to succeed me,” Celestia informed. Twilight just looked on utterly baffled at Celestia’s statement. “You are more than just a good leader, but a great leader because you have the courage to admit when you've made a mistake and the strength to make it right.” Celestia praised as she leaned forward to look solely into Twilight’s eyes. “And today, you showed that.” Celestia praised her student. “And when you are ready, you will be, without a doubt in my mind, a great princess.”

“What do you mean ‘will be’?” Twilight asked as she looked thought about what Celestia just said.

Luna then spoke up as she placed her hand on Twilight’s shoulder, “Our sister and Us have taken time to think on your reaction to Our joint announcement to you and your friends. And we both have concluded that it was not just to thrust our joint abdication on you and giving you such a short time window to prepare for it. We still intend to step down, but we have decided to wait until you have prepared of it.”

Twilight smiled as tears of relief formed in her eyes, “Thank you, I wasn’t ready at all.” she said and hugged the two in gratitude.

“WHAT!!” Discord shouted as he jumped to his feet. “She’s not taking over?!” he asked in utterly flabbergasted anger, “This was all for nothing?!” He continued and paced up and down. “I pretended to be nailed to the floor and dying for Twilight to finally learn that all she needs is her friends to—?!”

“Pretended?!” All but Celestia and Luna shouted at Discord.

Discord crossed his arms, “Of course! You don't think some "would-be king" could actually hurt the Lord of Chaos, do you?” he asked rhetorically

“But the spear?” Rainbow asked as she pointed to it. “Sombra said it was made with…”

Discord grabbed the spear in one hand “Please,” he snapped his other hand and the spear became a garden snake, “like Celestia and Luna would make it easy for somebody other than themselves and the people they trust to find those spears.” he snapped his finger again and turned it back to a spear. He then gave it to Pinkie, “Anyway, as I was saying, I pretended to be very hurt to convince you that you didn't need anything but yourself to be the incredible leader I know you can be.” he finished. Discord then turned to Celestia and Luna, “And now once she showed that she has what it takes, it's not happening?!” he asked in frustration.

Celestia and Luna looked to each and giggled at Discord’s frustration, Celestia then turned back to the Lord of Chaos, “It will happen, Discord.” she said as she walked up to him, “But when she's ready and not a second sooner.” she pointed out.

Discord pulled at his hair, “How can she not be ready?!” he all but shouted. He groaned “What a waste of a perfectly wonderful death scene!” He groaned and threw up his hands in the air, “Ugh! Honestly, I don't know why I even bother.” he then vanished in a white flash.

“So he could have ended the whole Sombra thing whenever he wanted?” Rarity asked in utter annoyance at the Avatar of Chaos as she was about to pull to her own hair.

Fluttershy giggled a little as she placed her hand on Rarity’s shoulder, “But he didn't, because he cares.” she commented.

Rainbow shook her head, “that’s Discord for ya.” the elementalist added as she

Applejack rolled her eyes, “He sure has a weird way of bein' supportive,” she commented as she leaned against the wall.

“Super odd dude,” Pinkie added on commenting on the way Discord shows his supportiveness.

Discord’s stained glass rendering on the window that showed him being defeated by Twilight et al came to life in a white flash, “I heard all that!” he shouted annoyed and then it reverted back to the state of him being petrified. This brought a decent laugh from everyone in the room.

Luna then spoke up, “Although to be honest, we both did have some fun today fighting side-by-side with Star Swirl and the Pillars to defend our people, haven’t done anything like that since the Wendigos before Flurry’s Crystalling. We don’t often get the chance to do that of late, and you girls, since you started, make it look a lot easier then We recall.”

Rainbow looked at her nails, “Well, we are kind of an awesome team.”

“Every adventure is heart-pounding but so rewarding,” Fluttershy added.

Pinkie pulled every one of the six sans Twilight towards her, “I'm up for anything, as long as it's with all of you!” she cheered before she hugged them.

Rarity was the first to get out of the hug. She couldn’t help but giggle, “Life certainly hasn't been dull since we met Twilight.” she commented.

“And there’s Nowhere else I'd rather be,” Applejack added as they all turned to Twilight.

Twilight smiled as she looked to Celestia and Luna, “We are pretty incredible together. And we would do anything for Mystica. I guess I know, when the time comes, as long as we're together, we…” Twilight paused as she looked at her friends. She smiled, “definitely got this.” she declared as the six pulled into a group hug.


At the same time as Celestia and Luna teleported back to their throne room, in another part of the Everfree at Star Swirl's old tower and the base of operations for the Pillars, Star Swirl and the other Pillars, looked at it, "Perhaps I should have listen to Clover and where she placed the boarder stone." the old wizard said.

"Well Beardo, no one is perfect." Flash Magnus joked. The others had a small laugh. "So where are you going to place it?"

"Not far from Twilight's castle, I still have much of the realm to explore until I found the place for me in this world." Star Swirl said as he lifted his hand and teleported the tower. "Now this should calm the spirit." He said before he teleported them back to Magiville.


As Twilight and the others celebrated Sombra's defeat, Cozy managed to get Chrysalis and Tirek to join her in a circle holding each other’s hands. “Now for this exercise, I’m going to say something nice about Tirek,” she informed. “Tirek you’ll then say something nice about Chrysalis,” Cozy said as she turned her gaze for both to solely Tirek. She then turned to look only at “Chrysalis, you’ll say something nice about me, okay?” she asked as she gave a big smile.

Chrysalis pulled her hands away from both, “NEVER!” she shouted.

“I am with her,” Tirek added as he pulled his hand from Cozy.

As Cozy started to pout, the trio heard the cloven hooves of Grogar return. They turned to see the satyr very much irate as he picked up a rock and threw it in wrath. He took a deep breath before he spoke, “Let us hope the three of you will be enough for my plans.” he said as he went to his scrying orb.

“What about King Sombra?” Chrysalis asked.

“Did he succeed?” Tirek compounded.

“Hah”, Grogar huffed as he tapped the orb. The orb showed Sombra’s body reduced to dust by the power of Twilight and her friend’s magic. Once the image was over, “It looks as though the King gambled and lost!” Grogar growled. He then turned to the three. “Yet in his defeat, there is a victory to salvage.” he mused. “This is the ultimate warning to those who doubt continuing with my plans.” Grogar then looked from the orb to the three. “Unless any of you have doubts,” Grogar asked as he looked at the three. They all nervously shook their heads in fear. Grogar smiled. “Then we shall join forces and work together to bring Mystica to its knees!” the satyr declared as he held his right hand in a fist before he started to laugh. Cozy, Tirek and Chrysalis then started to laugh nervously alongside the ancient satyr.


Deep within the vaults of Chantalot, a small box opened seemingly by itself, "Like Grogar could summon me from the shadows by his will alone." a shadow whispered. The shadow picked up the item, the Alicorn Amulet. "Hello my old friend." The shade then showed it had eyes with red irises. The shadow vanished taking the amulet with it.