• Published 16th Apr 2019
  • 1,436 Views, 54 Comments

My Little Mages: Onset of Resolution - Foxhelm



With Celestia and Luna preparing to retire, a long forgotten villian, Grogar starts his grand plan, but Sombra wants none of it. A My Little Mage retelling of Begining of the End

  • ...
4
 54
 1,436

The Return of The King

The next day, in Princess Twilight’s School of Friendship, Starlight traversed the mostly empty hall. Everyone was home for the term break, but with it going to be over at the start of the week following next, now was the time for her and the others to get things together. Starlight jas checked on Applejack and the rest and had reached the last person she needed to see, Twilight. She knocked on the headmistress’ door. “Twi! You in here?” she asked as she opened the door. “You know we have a week before we have to prepare for the next…” she trailed off as she saw Twilight at her desk with a small forest worth of lists all over the room. “You’re not Twilighting typically are you?” she asked as the demigod was lost in her lists.

Spike flew up to her, “I don’t what to do! Owlicious can’t help, Flash doesn’t have leave, everyone has tried just about anything. This is the worst meltdown ever…” the dragon landed and started to cry out of sheer exhaustion.

Starlight took a second to look at the scene, took a breath and stepped forward. “Oh Twilight, what am I to do? You’re leaving in charge of both the school and the castle? But the last two times things went so wrong, I couldn’t get Discord to actually help. Cozy knocked me out and both times the school was almost destroyed. I’m not ready!” Starlight started to panic. She then began to hyperventilate. “Oh no, what if—?!” she almost fainted.

Swiftly Twilight jumped from her chair and caught Starlight, “Starlight, get a hold of yourself!” Twilight said as she helped Starlight back to her feet. “You've risen to every challenge you've ever faced. You can do anything you put your mind to. You've got this.” she said as she gave Starlight an encouraging hug.

“Hah!” Starlight shouted as she broke the hug and smiled, “And so do you.” she said as she placed her hand on Twilight’s shoulder. “See what I did there? You just said everything you need to hear.” she pointed out.

Twilight gave a clearly sarcastic laugh as she turned away and started back to her desk, “Nice try.” As she took her seat, “But running a school and running a country are two very different things.” She then levitated the next piece of paper in the stake, “Now, if you don't mind I have seven thousand, four hundred, and thirty-two things to take care of before I become the new ruler of Mystica!” she shouted before she started hyperventilating into a paper bag. Starlight and Spike both sighed in frustration.


Just as Twilight was hyperventilating into the paper bag, Sombra began to walk into Krystalopolies like he owned the place. All the civilians ran from him as the guards came charging at him. Sombra chuckled as he widened his eyes. They became fields of green and from them came beams that hit each of the guards that charged him, causing them to stop in their tracks. Their eyes the became fields of green and turned to match with Sombra to the castle.

Inside the castle, Shining ran to the throne room, “Sombra’s breached the castle!” he said. “And he’s forcing more and more to join him!”

At her throne, Cadance finished writing a note and sent it via a dragon fire candle, “Hurry, Twilight.” She whispered. She then looked to Shining Armor. “Where’s Flurry?” she asked as the two realized that their daughter was very much in danger. The two ran and threw open the door to Flurry’s room only to see Sombra hold the toddler in the elbow of his right arm as he brushed the baby’s cheek with his left index finger.

“MAMA!” Flurry cried as she tried to reach for Cadance.

Cadance took a step forward as her hands started to glow and she growled ready to tear Sombra apart, “I wouldn’t get any closer.” Sombra said as he brought the point of his left index finger to Flurry’s neck. “Demigods bleed like any mortal.” Flurry tried to wiggle away but was unable to escape Sombra’s grasp. “Surrender the Crystal Heart, renounce your claim as Princess of Krystalopolies, bend the knee, and you can have your daughter back.” He said. “Take another step…” he trailed off as press the tip on Flurry’s throat.

Cadance growled as she kneeled, Shining reluctantly followed suit. “You won't get away with this!”

Sombra laughed, “Oh my dear great-niece, you’re so much like your grandmother Amore, you can’t see the obvious.” Sombra then started to the throne room, “I already have.” Within half an hour, Sombra had made two black crystals grow into the throne room, and they were used as pillars for the Crystal Heart. Sombra took the throne as Cadance, Shining and Flurry, were placed into a cage made of black crystals. “And with the Crystal Heart now in my possession, there is nothing to stop me from ruling Krystalopolies!” Sombra declared as his hexed subjects started to bring him food and drink. He accepted the goblet that was offered to him and drank from it. “It’s good to be king.” he sighed in bliss. He then took another drink of the goblet, “ The Princess Mi Amore Cadenza has abdicated, Long live the King Sombra.” he said and laughed again.


As Sombra started to celebrate his return to his throne, Twilight was pacing in the room with the Aura Map with Starlight, Spike just as the door opened and Applejack et al came running in. “We made it as quickly as we could!” Applejack shouted before they all stopped and took a few breaths.

Just then Discord, in his humanoid form snapped to be in the room, “Goodness, Celestia, and Luna haven’t even made the official announcement and you’re already delegating things. But you might want to work on your penmanship if you’re gonna be the ruler of Mystica.” Discord lectured as before he showed Twilight the note that was sent to him. “Because this looks like it says, ‘Cadance sent an emergency message. Sombra's back, and he's taking over the Krystalopolies.’” Discord then crossed his arms, “Seriously, that cannot be what you actually wrote.”

Twilight groaned, “No, that’s exactly what it says!” Twilight all but shouted at the Lord of Chaos. “I have no idea how its possible! I know the Crystal Heart dispelled him the last time, but he’s back and it’s up to us to save Krystalopolies and my family!” Twilight declared as she was about to lead the others out.

Fluttershy coughed and brought Twilight to stop, “Shouldn't somebody tell Celestia and Luna?” the druid asked.

Discord took the form of a butterfly and hovered next to Fluttershy, “Ooh, good point! One of us should probably loop in the real rulers of Mystica.” he commented.

Twilight looked to the others, “No.” she with a slight scowl, more so out of concern for her family then a possible challenge. “If we're going to run Mystica, we'll need to handle things like this on our own.”

Discord teleported to be on Twilight’s head, “Oh, Twilight!” he gasped in joy, “Could this mean that you finally have the confidence to ascend to the throne like the princesses believe you can?” he asked as he leaned forward to look Twilight in the eye.

Twilight blasted him off via a beam from her focus gem to get him off of her. With him off of her, “I don’t know.” she answered. “But I have to do something unless you'll consider taking care of Sombra for us?” she asked not so much because she wanted Discord to actually do it, but in what could be best described as a display of her own authority.

Discord got back up and held up his hands in a sort of shield, “Oh, no-no-no-no! You're absolutely right!” he said as he waved his hands and stepped back. He then pulled a zipper down, “You need to learn how to handle these things on your own. Ta-ta!” he said and entered in the space he opened.

Everyone rolled their eyes at Discord’s antics, Applejack then held her chin in thought, “Handlin' things on our own is all well and good, but last time we defeated Sombra with the Crystal Heart.” the paladin pointed out. “And he likely has it already, so how are we gonna stop him?” she asked.

Everyone thought for a second, Twilight then gasped as she had an answer, “The Elements of Harmony!” Twilight answered.

Discord then popped back, “Ah, no-no-no.” he said as he wagged his index finger. “You didn't need the Elements the last time you defeated Sombra.” he countered. “And I'm not sure that using them still counts as ‘handling things on your own’,” he added.

“My family is in danger.” Twilight pointed out with a scowl at Discord, “I'm not taking any chances.”

Discord sighed, “Fine.” and he vanished back to his pocket realm.

Twilight shook her head and took a breath, “Starlight, Spike, can you both stay here and take care of the school?” she asked. Starlight and Spike nodded. Twilight then teleported herself, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie to the Tree of Harmony. The six then placed their hands on the tree and the Elements fell into their hands and took on their forms as necklaces and crown. They put them on and then Twilight teleported them out of there.


In the castle of Krystalopolies’ throne room, Sombra reclined as a female Crystalborn placed a grape into his mouth. Sombra the crew the grape with a massive, blissful smile on his face. All the while Flurry was trying to break her and her parents from their prison, no avail. Sombra looked at the sight and smirked with a small chuckle. “You really suck as parents.” he commented, “A halfway decent father would be three forth to death out of exhaustion in his own attempts, and a quart decent mother would be five-sixths to death for the same purpose. Not that it would do you any good.” He said and opened his mouth and stuck out his tongue to collect another grape. The throne room doors then swung open to show, Twilight et al with their Elements. Sombra didn’t even raise his head to address the six. “Well, it took you six long enough,” he said with a yawn and stretched his body as he got up. He looked and saw the Elements of Harmony on them. “Seriously?” he asked and gave a sigh of disappointment. “Those didn’t work for Celestia and Luna, what makes you think they will for you?” he asked rhetorically. He gave another sigh then got out of his throne and walked towards them, “Well, come on then.” he said as he beckoned them with both hands with slight annoyance in his tone, “Give me your best shot with that Rainbow of Mass Reformation of yours and be done with it!” He then walked over and stood behind the Crystal Heart. “Here, you can use Crystal Heart as a magnifier,” he added. He closed his eyes looked like he was sleeping as he stood.

Twilight and her friends each took other’s hands before they closed their eyes. They then opened them and were fields of white. “SOMBRA, YOUR VILE REIGN WILL NEVER COME TO PASS!” the six said together in their seventh voice. The Elements then fired their beam at the Crystal Heart.

As the heart began to hum. Sombra opened his eyes and widen them in fear as the Crystal Heart, in fact, magnified the Elements’ beam as it entered into the Heart. Sombra took a step back. “No, it can’t be. This is impossible!” he shouted as the Heart shot the beam of the Elements out of it. “NNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!” he screamed as the beam struck him and destroyed him and all the black crystals that he made, freeing Shining, Cadance, and Flurry.

The six then closed their eyes and took of the Elements. They all then opened their eyes, “We totally just wiped the castle with that guy!” Rainbow cheered as she and the others put Element back on.

Shining and Cadance, with Flurry in their arms, walked over to Twilight, “Thanks, Twily.” Shining said as the family hugged.

The other five shared their own group hug, “That was FUN!” Pinkie cheered at the victory.

“And almost surprisingly easy.” Applejack said as she chuckled as the hug ended.

Rarity waved her hair, “As magical battles go, that was a cakewalk.” she said, “Not a single drop of sweat.” she commented at how immaculate her hair was.

“Mmm... Cakewalk…” Pinkie said as she started to drool slightly. Everyone else giggled at the sight.

Twilight took of her Element and looked at it. She then smiled as she saw her reflection in the gem and the reflections of her friends. She raised her head, with her smile still on her face, “We did handle this pretty well. On our own.” she confessed. Her friends then all turned to her with smiles on their face. She knew the questions on their minds, “I still don’t feel like I'm one hundred percent ready, and knowing myself, I will never be, but I have you girls,” she said as she walked to her friends and pulled them into a hug. “and we have the Elements. And together, we've never failed. We'll be okay.” Everyone then cheered.


A couple of minutes later, after teleporting back to the Tree, Twilight and the others returned the Elements to the Tree. “Once again, Mystica is safe,” she said.

“What should we do to celebrate?” Fluttershy asked as the six started to head out.

“I vote for a cakewalk!” Pinkie cheered as she did a moonwalk with cakes on her feet, which earned laughs from the others.

Just then they were stopped by the sound of rumbling. “What's goin' on?” Applejack asked.

“I don't know!” Twilight answered before they all turned to see Sombra in the form of a black cloud with his eyes and focus gem floating above the Tree of Harmony. The six gasped at the sight of the vile king. Then large black crystal jettisoned out of the ground hitting the tree shattering it and sending the Elements to the ground. The Elements shattered as they impacted on the ground. The six were left speechless as Sombra transformed into his seven-foot specter in grey armor form, laughing all the while.