• Published 17th Mar 2019
  • 1,892 Views, 69 Comments

Princess Luna’s Unconvincing Disguise - SockPuppet



A hurting princess needs a friend. Can Luna make her own friends, without the Elements’ or Map’s help?

  • ...
5
 69
 1,892

Chapter 9: Luna's promise to her new friends

We went out the back door of the throne room, then to Luna's private quarters. She hung her Rarity bespoke on a concrete ponnequin, and we saw several similar cloaks on other ponnequins. "My cloak contains armor plating," she said, "and weighs more than a large pegasus or a small earth pony. I am fatigued, but it keeps me in fighting trim."

And, yes, her ribs showed. She needed to eat more.

I smelled a faint hint of litterbox and saw pet toys scattered about, and noticed a silver water bowl engraved TIBBLES, but didn't see the actual animal.

Two owls bleared at us from perches near an open window. The sun was dropping toward the horizon.

Luna then placed the sheathed sword on the mantle above her fireplace, and sat at a table in a cozy nook. "Join me, my friends," Luna said. We sat down, and the chairs were uncomfortably large. I sank into mine and Rosie disappeared into hers. I imagined how cramped normal-sized chairs must feel to Luna. Even with the rest of Equestria being so squeezed and uncomfortable, she still donned her disguise and went into Canterlot to try to pretend a normal life. The poor thing!

A servant in silver and black livery entered and requested our orders.

"What do you have?" Rosie asked.

"Literally everything," he said, his ears perking up indignantly. "This is Canterlot Castle!"

All three of us went with coffee. Decaf for Rosie and I, regular for Luna. "The sun sets, and my duties begin. I shall be awake until dawn."

A unicorn doctor entered, removed Luna's boot and bandages, and examined Luna's leg. The wound was large and hideous. I saw white bone and smelled gangrene. Black and red ringed the wound. He applied salves and potions. Luna looked away from the wound, and breathed through gritted teeth.

"It looks much better today, highness," he said.

"We walked miles and miles this afternoon," Rosie said. "How did you walk on that?!?"

The doctor looked at Rosie. "Her highness is immune to pain."

"Untrue," Luna corrected. "In Celestia's words, I have the highest 'pain threshold.' My five senses are far superior to non-alicorn ponies, so I feel the pain in exquisite detail. I am simply accustomed to pain because, before my wings came, and after, I suffered so much, and I have learned to function despite it. I will remember every throb until the day I die."

The doctor said, "The princess pulled her own wisdom teeth last month."

Luna flicked her wings in annoyance. "The accursed things keep growing back. Compared to what else I've endured?" She was silent for a moment. "'Tis nothing. And I have commanded you to call me 'Luna.'"

"Yes, highness, you have commanded that. Many times." The doctor wrapped her leg in fresh dressings and replaced the boot. The waiter brought two carafes of coffee and a tray of fresh-baked cookies, and then we were alone.

Luna said, "Need I impress upon you the importance of keeping my secret?"

Rosie replied, "Pretty much the entire department figured it out already, Princess."

"You two, please call me 'Luna!' Ahem. The forms must be observed. I wish to earn my doctorate. The disguise will legitimize it in front of the pony in the street. Please humor me."

"We'll keep your secret... Luna," Rosie said.

"Luna, will you stop hating yourself?" I asked. "Think about what my dad said, and what Blizzard Walker said."

She sat in silence for several minutes, frowning, thinking. Tears formed at the corners of her eyes, and she wiped with a foreleg.

Can you imagine how much thinking can happen in that space of time, when the pony doing the thinking can solve massive systems of equations in an eyeblink?

What went through your head, Luna?

I'm sure what she said was only the barest fraction:

"I have hated myself for a long time. As Celestia moves me around her chessboard, striking down the most powerful pieces that threaten Equestria, I commit new atrocities to add to my ledger. I fear that if I cease hating myself, I will transfer my resentment to Celestia, and I cannot abide that thought."

She chewed her lip, and stared at the bleary-eyed owls for a few moments.

Luna continued, "Celestia is my last link to the before-time. I love Cadance and Flurry, but Celestia is my last blood relative, until I have foals of my own, which... well, maybe in a decade or two. To turn around the momentum of my emotions is not the work of one night."

"You said two or three times how smart Proofie and I are," Rosie said. "Take that seriously and ask yourself if such smart ponies would want to be friends with a monster, or with a good pony?"

Luna sipped her coffee quietly. "I will think about that."

We chatted about the department and gossipped about the professors. She went to a bookshelf and pulled the latest issue of The Journal of Mathematical Magic, and interrogated me about my paper. The three of us outlined a follow-up publication. (When it was published, the author list was 'Bayes, HRH Luna, and Pudding.' I couldn't believe it!)

"The sun is setting and I must go to my duties soon," she said. "The chamberlain will have arranged a carriage for you. Sadly, I must excuse myself shortly."

"This has been wonderful," Rosie said. "Can we do this again?"

Luna clapped her hooves and smiled. Her voice was fillyish. "I should hate it if we never did this again. You are my friends! May I ask you two a favor, however?"

"Of course, Luna," I said.

"Eschewing false modesty, I am one of the four or six smartest ponies in Equestria, and I am perceptive. Alicornhood enhances every part of the body, including the brain, and I was unnaturally intelligent before my ascension. Believe me when I say, you two are going to be married. You might not realize that yourself, yet, but it is obvious to me. It is traditional for all couples in Canterlot to invite Celestia and myself to their wedding."

"But—but—but—" Rosie said.

"We—we—we—" I said.

"It is equally traditional for us to politely decline ninety-nine point nine percent of the invitations, and send a card of congratulations instead. The last wedding we took the time to attend, the Donkey family in Ponyville, was a calculated political gambit to illustrate how we love minority species as much as we love ponies. I have never in my life attended a wedding for fun!" Luna levitated a piece of parchment and a quill, and scribbled. "This is the address of my personal majordomo. Send the invitation to her, and not the castle's main post office box, and I will be honored to attend."

Rosie and I looked at each other, and we saw in each other's eyes the Luna was correct. It was a year more before we said it out loud, but we both knew it from that moment. We kissed, briefly.

Luna and Rosie then shared a hug. Luna beckoned me to join. As a stallion, I was reluctant to touch a mare who, just two hours before, had told me about her hundreds, maybe thousands, of rapes as a filly at the hooves of other stallions.

I stood there, chewing my lip, unsure.

Luna’s horn flashed and she levitated me into the hug and wrapped her wings around Rosie and I.

"Good evening, my new friends! The guard will show you to the carriage. I shall see you at the department colloquium next Thursday," Luna said.

Still hugging us, her eyes then focused on the katana sitting above her mantle. She frowned, and her ears wilted and her wings drooped, and her head sagged almost to the floor. Her voice thickened with tears and I felt her body shudder. "Unless my duties call me away."


And that's how we became friends with Princess Luna. She was delighted to be the Best Mare at our wedding. She did so as a friend, as an ordinary pony, and not as some royal social or political obligation. Ponies forget how young she is, and how she experiences so little of the normal life we take for granted.

We used no social machinations or back-channel bribery or blackmail, as so many rumors suggest. We found a lonely, hurting pony who wanted nothing more than somepony to drink coffee and chitchat with, or to visit her in the hospital when one of her many 'assignments' turned into a débâcle, as happened outside of Somnambula a few months later. We gave this to her gladly. And we asked nothing more than her friendship, in return.

Author's Note:

Well! That's the story. I've always felt that Luna seemed aloof, and even in Horse Play when she's giggling with Fleur de Lis in the theater audience, it seemed like Fleur was somepony she likely met through politics, not from simple happy coincidence.

I'm working on the novel (around 60,000 words) describing the "débâcle... a few months later," and hope to publish this spring or summer.

I'd be interested in knowing what you thought. Constructive feedback is always welcome.

Comments ( 23 )

This was such a great story. I love the way it Portrays Princess Luna and Princess Celestia.
Its such a Unique take on the two of them. And their pasts. At least it is to me. And did i Understand the author's Note? You are working on a Sequel of sorts?

9543397
Thank you for the kind words!

I've been working of the novel for about six months; both "A day in Canterlot Juvenile Court," and this story, are background to the novel, that I felt fit better as short stand-alones than as flashbacks in the novel.

Thanks again!:heart:

Oh is it over already ?

What a beautiful story that was :twilightsmile:

Thankyou, dear author.
This is a story worth putting in print.

If I saw this on a shelf, I would buy.

9544477
Thank you!

I'm glad people enjoyed it.

I appreciate the encouraging words.

9546809

Cool!

I won't post chapter one until it's totally finished so please forgive me if I run late.

This was great.

I enjoy seeing different depictions of the princesses, and reallyI love this one.

And Luna, holy shit girl are you bad at disguises.

Looking forward to seeing what else you can come up with.

9547349

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

I vaguely wonder if she was trying, subconsciously, to out herself?

But I don't know.

9547404
Without a doubt.

This was a wonderful story. It went to some dark places but handled it well, I feel, and the telling of Luna's backstory was very in line with her characterization. Definitely looking forward to the sequel.

Amusingly, I'm writing this comment while waiting for a plane to take me away from a conference where I just presented a novel algorithm based on the concept of approximating a matrix with one of lower-rank (though asking me to do any eigendecompositions beyond size 1 in my head would be beyond me) while nursing a minor fencing injury I received from some aggressive swordplay. Fortunately, that's where my similarities to Luna end.

9681944
Glas you enjoyed! Good luck at the conference!

Ohh!! Almost missed this one. Another amazing read! I love that she found some pones to see her, the good and the bad.

RDT

Rosie Bayes was a final year doctoral candidate in statistics (which Royal University oddly placed inside the maths department).

Remind me, where is statistics supposed to go? Science department perhaps?

Also, is the Luna war story going to appear at any point? It is an intriguing premise and your other war fics are well written.

10292047

the Luna novel is a hot mess. I plan to rewrite it someday, but good lord, it's past my skill level at the moment. I won't deliver something I'm not proud of, so I keep working on my skills until I'm ready to retry it.

Well, because I read some other of your stories first, this was easier to endure. I don't mean that in a bad way either. It was an well written imagination of Luna. Though I could really be angry with what you put her through. One of the toughest I've read. I saw when you answered RDT's question about your Luna novel that the Luna novel is on 'hold' due to perceived lack of "skills." I would disagree with that perception, you've done a fantastic job with the stories I've read so far, especially the Red Heart Trilogy. I look forward to your Luna novel. Thank you for entertaining me.

Ooof.

THAT was hard to get through...my headcanon doesn't have the Princess of Kind Dreams ANYWHERE in that space. Her near CONSTANT interventions with the CMC's put her far from this particular version with me, and that little tiff with the...Tantibus...shifts it even more.

The thing about Fimfiction is how MANY shades and nuances characters take on under different author's pens. My Celestia, for example, is NOT a "morning pony". Faded sun-yellow bathrobe, fuzzy pink slippers on her hooves, a different coffee mug every morning, including one that reveals the words, "Let Twilight Handle It" when it heats up, a joke gift from Luna. She's an avid Buckball fan, and absolutely adores 'her' Canterlot Nobles, to the point of being a Official Merchandise walking billboard...

Derpy is my mathematics Luna...

And, I'll have something to say about the last episode, a setting sun, and no gizmo or lit horn with Princess Sparkle...

We all see them differently. That's the fun.

I read through this three times last night. I almost wrote the review then, but I wanted to sleep on it, and think about this this morning on the drive to work.

I think the biggest factor for me here is the level of respect you had for both the story and the characters. Luna's story in particular isn't something used for cheap shock value, which would have been the easy way to go. Even the wording you used for her retelling has that halting, self-loathing twist to it that this Luna would use in character. You also don't go into salacious details solely for shock value, another easy cop-out that I've seen other authors use.

I know you've hit snags on the full story, and I know that feeling of "I'm not where I need to be to tell this one", so I'll just say that I look forward to seeing what someone of your skill can do once you get to that place, because this short here is so good as to elevate fanfic to a higher level. Spectacular work.

10619671
Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate that you took the time.

10787936
Don't take my several paragraphs of criticism as a dump on the author; I wouldn't have felt compelled to write them if I hadn't been so incredibly impressed by the previous story.

10292055
Considering all that I've read until now that you've written, I call bullshit on you not being able to do it yet. Redheart's War is a friggin' masterpiece. Don't sell yourself short.

I'm sure it'll be awesome when you do finish and publish it :twilightsmile:

Essa e a melhor história faz outra história da Luna tipo uma continuação dessa por favor

Loved this story so much. All the terrible things that happen to Luna were not done for shock value but because they make sense. It is an amazing story and one of my favorites of the site. I especially love the dynamic between Luna and Celestia.

You said that there is another fic planned, starring Luna, in this universe. Is that still true?

Regardless of that answer I loved this story so much!

11359702
Way back burner, sadly. I have 70,000 words but it's just... not good. Maybe someday.

Glad you enjoyed!

Login or register to comment