• Published 16th Jan 2019
  • 1,665 Views, 37 Comments

The New Substitutes - Chemtest

  • ...
2
 37
 1,665

Change

The sun rises, shining it’s light down upon Camp Everfree. Sat on the edge of the lake in the center of the camp is Sombra.

A warm wind blows past him, flowing through the blades of grass, and sending ripples through the lake’s surface. He closes his eyes, taking a deep breath, and basking in the warmth of the sun.

He opens his eyes again, gazing upon a family of ducks, peacefully swimming across the lake. His fist clenches for a moment, before he relaxes, taking another deep breath.

A rock goes flying above him, headed right for the ducks. With a clench of his fist, the rock stops, surrounded by his magical aura.

Tirek looks at him, “Why did you stop it?”

Sombra brings the rock back to shore, and places it down, “Sit, Tirek. It’s time we had a talk.”

Tirek frowns, but sits next to Sombra anyway.

Sombra floats the rock back up, and looks over it, “We are very similar in many ways, Tirek. At least, we were. We are both addicts.”

Tirek raises an eyebrow, “Addicts?”

Sombra nods, “Addicts to pain. Causing pain, and suffering. Don’t deny it, amigo. I saw you smile and laugh as you broke that singer the other day. And I’ve heard of what you did to get here.”

“And?”

He sighs, “We... you need to change. Before I came to this world, I was infected by darkness. A misguided belief that suffering was the best way forward. But this world, it’s a catalyst for change, amigo. Pain and suffering has led us here, forced into a non-magical realm and into unnatural bodies. Tirek, what is it that drives you to cause pain?”

Tirek shrugs, “It’s amusing.”

He looks over at Tirek, eyes narrowing, “Amusing? You find pain amusing?!”

He nods, “Yeah, I do. It’s fun to make others fear me, and my power. It’s amusing to hurt those not as powerful. And it’s funny to drain another of all power.”

He glares, and stands up suddenly, “You’re worse than I thought. Too far gone. Are you not driven by anything?”

Tirek shrugs, “Not really. I want to gain power and be amused. That a problem with you?”

Sombra clenches his fist, summoning his shadowed spear and pointing it at Tirek, “Stand up, Tirek. Now.”

Tirek slowly stands up, keeping eye contact with Sombra all the while.

He growls, moving closer to Tirek, “You know nothing of pain. You know nothing of suffering.”

Tirek scoffs, “And what, you do?”

Sombra nods, “Si, I do. I am born by pain, and shaped by suffering. Yet I exist now by happiness and peace.”

Tirek shakes his head, “You’re weak. You’ve become weak.”

Sombra narrows his eyes, grabbing Tirek by the neck, and holding him up. Tirek’s eyes widen, and he attempts to move his arms. However, both of them are held in place by crystal.

Sombra glares, “If I am weak, Tirek, then you are pathetic. You live for nothing, to cause nothing but pain. You are a monster, like I would kill back then. Do you know who I am Tirek?”

He doesn’t respond, looking more and more panicked.

Sombra’s eyes slowly grow more green, “I am the Terror of the Everfree, the Shadow Emperor, the Tyrant of the North. I have killed more than you have ever seen, Tirek, beast and pony alike. You dare not assume who I am, or you shall find your fate to be brought to a swift end. You are worse than a hydra, more cruel than a basilisk, more violent than a wolf, and more stubborn than a mountain. I should kill you now, like I have with monsters in the past.”

He drops Tirek, who goes to his knees, breathing deeply.

Sombra looks down at him, “But I have changed. Who I am is no more, Tirek. I am no cruel king, no tyrant, no monster. I am... a man. A powerful man, but a man nonetheless. I have become a teacher to a generation who shall one day surpass me. And I am merciful.”

Sombra extends his hand, and Tirek looks at it with worry.

He smiles, “You have the chance to become a man as well, Tirek. To become something greater than yourself, to have something to fight for. You have the chance, Tirek, to become a friend. You can change, like I and Discord. You can become truly powerful, not just the false power you have now. Your friends shall become your strength, and we shall carry you when you fall. Take my hand, amigo.”

Tirek pauses, hesitating, before grabbing Sombra’s hand. Sombra pulls him back to his feet.

He pats Tirek’s shoulder, “I apologize for that, Tirek, but you’d never change without seeing what you bring upon others with pain.”

Tirek nods slightly, “I... I think you were right, Sombra.”

Sombra smiles, “I’m glad to hear that, amigo. Come, now, the day is early and this camp needs help.”

Tirek nods, “And we should help the camp, so they don’t feel pain.”

Sombra nods, “Si, that is why.”

Tirek smiles slightly, “Well... yeah, let’s get started.”

Comments ( 2 )

some find their revelations on their own terms
others need to be dragged towards them

is this story dead?

Login or register to comment