• Published 16th Jan 2019
  • 1,665 Views, 37 Comments

The New Substitutes - Chemtest

  • ...
2
 37
 1,665

Harmonic Dissonance

The five Discords pop into existence, each carrying the instrument of their choice. They stand on a hill top, looking over an outside theater where the Dazzlings stand. Discord snaps, and speaker systems appear all around.

Discord steps forward as his microphone appears, sending the loud noise of feedback over the crowd of people.

The Dazzlings below look up to the hill, their eyes slightly widening as they view the congregation of Discords.

Discord doesn’t give them any time to comprehend what is happening, before he speaks into the microphone.

His voice radiates out of the speakers behind him, clear and loud, he speaks, “Welcome, one and all, to the defeat of the Dazzlings! We are Discord and the Cacophony, and we are here to save you the only way we can!”

His declaration is followed by a loud blare of a trumpet, and the drums begin.

Discord smirks down at the Dazzlings, as the music Discord makes giant musical notes appear in the air, bathing them all in green and red light. Discord fixes his eyes with Adagio, “Music. Just like all those years ago.”

The guitar starts up with a single riff, and the electronic beats slowly begin to mix with it. The trumpet backs off, letting just the guitar, electronic, and drums take over, giving the whole affair an industrial feel to it.

Discord takes a deep breath, making sure the microphone picks it up, before starting.

“Welcome... to Discordant Harmony,
Contradictions as far as you can see,
But please, just promise me...
That you’ll become what you need to be!”

The trumpet picks up as the guitar switches and the electronics synthesize with the trumpet, changing immediately to become electro swing.

Discord taps his foot along, picking up the microphone, and smiling as he sings at a much faster pace.

“We’re not heroes, we don’t need to be!
For we are the masters of Disharmony!
But we’re still here to save the day,
In our own, Discordant way!”

He twists about with the microphone, leaning right against the trumpet Discord.

“So pick your feet up and command your hips to sway,
Put a smile on your face and be quite gay!
And when we’re done, you should know what to say,
‘Thank you Discord for saving the day’!”

The trumpet Discord makes a second version of himself, who sings a solo.

“Human, pony, black, or white, it don’t matter the race,
Long as Discord puts a smile on your face,
And don’t think it makes you a disgrace,
To find some fun in this place!”

They all smile, as the guitar lets out a final high note, and they all look down at the Dazzlings.

Adagio seems to have regained control of herself, and stands in front of a microphone with the other two. Her mouth opens to sing.

“Oh, look at who’s come,
Oh, here to ruin our fun.
Look at what the cat’s dragged in,
A creature of disgust and sin.”

The guitar Discord whispers to the singer, “Should we seriously just let them sing without interrupting them?”

Discord holds up a hand, “They expect us to interrupt, and they would take that opportunity to strike us.” He smiles, “Besides, we have an ace up our sleeve.”

The guitar Discord narrows his eyes, “Well, you haven’t been very forthcoming with information, so how about you share your plan. We all know that we can’t beat those three with that much power, not without cheating.”

Discord smirks, “Well, I wanted to keep it a surprise, but since you’re so insistent, I suppose I can oblige an explanation. You see, by challenging them, we are making more strife. Their power is currently growing greater, meaning that they have more magic.”

The guitar Discord frowns, “And that’s a good thing?”

Discord nods, “Oh yes, definitely. You see, I have a friend who eats magic and grows more powerful when he does. Thus, when their magic grows, his power grows, until he breaks free from their spell. Then, we shall win.”

The guitar Discord shakes his head, “And how long will that take?”

Discord points slightly at the stage behind the Dazzlings, where the form of Tirek is, “About five seconds.”

Adagio opens her mouth once more to begin a chorus, only to be interrupted as she feels someone breath down on her head. She turns around slowly, and has to look up to meet Tirek’s eyes.

Tirek narrows his eyes at her, “Your music is trash, and you are trash. Let’s put you through the compactor.”

Adagio takes a step back, only to stumble slightly and lose her balance as she discovers the stage end. She stutters slightly, “P-please don’t h-hurt me.”

Tirek steps closer, “I think you would quite like crowd surfing.”

He picks her up, and breaks her necklace with a flick of his fingers. With one hand, he holds her up, and throws her into the ground in front of the theater.

He grins as she twitches slightly, “Looks like I went flat, like all your singing!”

He drops down the five foot drop, landing before her. She looks up at him, her bones healing from the throw.

Tirek kneels down in front of her, looking her dead in the eye, “You best hit some high notes, because this pain is going to be major.”

Sombra shouts down to Tirek from on top of the stage, “Tirek, mi amigo, calm down.”

Tirek looks back up at him, seeing Sonata restrained next to him, “They corrupted our minds, Sombra!”

Chrysalis grins, with Aria unconscious beside her, “It feels oddly refreshing to be on the receiving end of mind control for once.”

Tirek growls, looking back at Adagio, “My mind is not something else’s plaything!”

Sombra jumps down, placing an armored hand on Tirek’s shoulder, “Tirek, you have easily broken five bones in her body. I think you have done enough.”

Tirek yells, and tries to stomp on Adagio, only to be pulled back by Sombra. He pushes Sombra away, “Step back, Shadow!”

Sombra stumbles a bit, but moves closer anyway, “Tirek, you are letting your anger get the best of you!”

Tirek steps up to Sombra, meeting him chest to chest and eye to eye, “So what?! I am anger incarnate, rage given form, and you are not going to stop me from my revenge!”

Sombra looks right back, “You are allowing yourself to be controlled, Tirek. Mi amigo, step back and calm down. Tú eres muy inteligente, don’t allow them to make you into a fool.”

Tirek glares a little while longer, before sighing in defeat.

Sombra wraps an arm around him, “Tú segua, mi amigo, you need time to calm down.” Sombra begins to lead Tirek away.

Up on the hill above, the Discords all raise their hands at the same time.

The drummer Discord smiles, “This rocks!”

The guitar Discord nods, “Wasn’t all that bad.”

The trumpet Discord grins, “You guys know how to lay a funky beat.”

The music note Discord makes a screeching sound of agreement.

Discord looks around, “High five, everyone, very good job.”

They all hive five each other simultaneously. But, as their limbs meet, a brown shockwave sends them back a bit, and begins to travel through the sky.

The guitar Discord looks up, “Oh no.”

The trumpet Discord looks to Discord, “I told you this was dangerous.”

Discord’s eyes widen, “I think we may have messed up this time.” He pauses, and his eyes are filled with fear, “Celestia’s gonna be pissed.”