• Published 31st Jul 2018
  • 3,972 Views, 230 Comments

Spare Some Change? - Nadir



A down on her luck Vinyl gets help from unexpected sources.

  • ...
15
 230
 3,972

Epilogue

Two months later

Sometimes mornings hurt. Sometimes waking up could bring that ache in her ear, sometimes it brought panic from not knowing where she was. The experience had left scars, both physical and mental on Octavia, trauma hardly something that just went away after a few days.

But every time that Octavia awoke in Vinyl’s grasp, all that faded away. They slept together now, always close to avoid any worry at all, always by each other’s side. The two of them had become even more inseparable somehow, just as they awoke now, the pair curled up against each other in the midst of a bright, early morning.

Octavia woke up first, as usual, and nuzzled against her love’s neck, but only for a second. She’d creep out of bed without a word, mind already made up for the time being. She’d cook, cook herself and Vinyl something nice, a wonderful haybacon and egg omelette for breakfast, because Vinyl only deserved the best.

As she returned, she saw her love start to stir, the beautiful white mare turning in their sheets and sitting up, just in time for her to see Octavia with a lovely tray of food on her back. “Oh, hey Tavi,” she rasped out. Ever since the rescue, Vinyl’s voice hadn’t recovered. Maybe it was from the cut, the ugly scar across her neck, or from trauma, but her words were still ever so quiet.

That didn’t matter to Octavia at all. With a smile, she placed the tray on the bed, enough for the both of them as she took her seat across her Vinyl. “Hello, dearest,” she cooed back, nuzzling against Vinyl over the tray. “You hungry? Because I made all this for us and you better be,” she teased.

Vinyl shrugged herself out of the covers, the shattered horn on her head still glistening in the light. It lit up with her lovely magic for a second, but only for a second, disappearing before it could even lift the fork. Out came a long groan of the mare, falling back onto the bed with a huff.

Octavia’s heart thumped for her. Twilight had said that she’d seen other unicorns recover from that kind of thing, one named Fizzypop Berrytwist, and had helped Vinyl every day to get her magic back, but it hadn’t come yet.


“It’s okay,” Octavia whispered, coming over to help show Vinyl how to use the fork with her hooves. These little struggles came up often these days, but Octavia would always be there to help her, always be there to love her.

After breakfast, they usually spent their days together. Octavia took a season off the orchestra and they lived off the money they’d already had - and the reward from the crown for busting the drug running ring, of course.

Their evenings were spent cuddled up together, watching TV, eating dinner, going to events of all types.

For a while, they could live a quiet life, a simple life.

For a while, they could just be together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Far, far away from Canterlot, a white mare plotted.

Author's Note:

Maybe more to come?

Comments ( 42 )

From cancelled to complete with a potential sequel, a true success story loved every word:twilightsmile:

Man just can’t give us a happy ending, huh?

10502974
I find that amusing saying the mare in your pfp has the worst luck with trying to get a happy ending

Yeah, that's rather rough. Good on you for ending the story though ^^.

Well done, and congratulations for a fine tale.

I really liked this :)

10501365
Thank you! I have tried really hard!!

10502906
First one ever to be honest. I've never completed something before this!

10502974
Happy...ish?

10503038
This is what I get for being a furry LOL


10503054
Thank you!!!


10503027
I've been so excited and scared to get this out haha

10503073
This was amazing

I never really read these small storys but after reading this one, I might have to because of how amazing and lovely it was.
Thank you for making it, and thank you for enough people to get it on the recommended list for me to find it :twilightsmile:

10502984
Touché. That being said, why do you think the one pic I chose of her was her looking cute and getting some whiskey? I like to imagine her happy, damnit all!

10503073
You had us all hopeful, things are looking up, then BAM oh no “Someone’s plotting to fuck up their lives!”

So kinda happy but I know how that kinda foreshadowing works.

Amazing story, thank you many times for writing it!

PS: Congratz to finishing it.

The progression of this story from a subtle romance all the way to an almost noir action/ crime drama has been amazing to watch. It's good where it sits, really didn't even need that last bit, but if you have ideas on where it could go then I can trust you have a good plan and will be looking for it.

10503309
Blackjack deserves all the happiness, with her friends. The ending of her story pissed me off

10503126
No, thank you guys!! I love my readers :D!!

10503107
♥♥♥♥

10503312
Well, you don't piss off the mafia for nothing, right? :3

10503796
THANK YOU!! I've kinda let myself get engrossed in this slight AU world now and I think I wanna continue it. The next one may not be about TaviScratch directly but it'll be in the same universe and follow a similar thread - if people are interested!

Nicely done, and a perfect ending for a pretty drama packed story!
Although, that last bit doesn't sound like things are gonna be far from over....

10504407
If you keep writing well I'm sure people will be interested regardless of what universe is in.

10504062
I started this story then stopped for some reason

10504940
It’s good! Start it again.

Great story, can't wait for the sequel.

10504578
Thank you!!
10510537
hahaha you're right! Maybe it should be for a few minutes though, total stalker mode!


10522434
10511263
Sure. I was going for a little suspension of disbelief for this especially since it was in a magical pony universe and all. I know it's complete bullshit and wouldn't happen in real life but this isn't real life and all. Their laws are different, customs etc. I am 100% okay with that critique though and won't be upset at all if that's what makes y'all not really enjoy it.

I'm sorry and all.

Pretty good story. Implied sequelbait is implied and baiting to the reader.

Will OP deliver? We shall see....

10643424
quickmeme.com/img/d7/d77d6be93a26fbd3f85d6fc370bb2811a45897ba0d414abac64b81cacdd3cb98.jpg

Sequel seems to be a bit of a side story, rather than a direct sequel? Not complaining mind. I'm tracking it!

10644467
Yep! Sort of related and there will be overlap but I wanted to make it readable without this one.

It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that there’s a lot to unpack here. This story was so gripping. There was a story, I believe it was featured in the Royal Canterlot Library at one point, that was a comedy. The comedy, however, was off-the-walls. The writer of that comedy said that the key to writing a good comedy was to take the basic premise, and make that basic premise wackier, each chapter being crazier than the last. In the end, the author of that story ended up with a comedy story that was ridiculously bizarre and hilarious because of it.

I can’t help but feel like you took that approach, subconsciously or not, but instead of making each chapter wackier than the last, you decided to make each subsequent chapter darker.

In the end, that approach made this story unlike any other OctaScratch fic I’ve ever read. Legacy comes the closest, but that story is consistently dark. This story, however, starts off simple, and intriguing, then becomes something way more intriguing than what came before it.

As people have mentioned, the pace is very fast, but other than that, this story is unique and something I’ll probably never see something like again. Good job.

10735687
I really appreciate you taking the time to leave this comment. It means so much to me and made me feel so warm <3

I don't know if I've ever had someone be so thoughtful in their reply to one of my stories. I think you're definitely right about it getting progressively darker. Your words about it being unique and maybe not seeing anything else like it got a tear from me. It was just... so special.

I do agree with the fast paced comments too! My last story, Student of The Night was incredibly slow paced and I think I over compensated here. Hoping to get a balance going forward ;)

Comment posted by Nadir deleted Mar 24th, 2021

10735180
I feel your pain so hard. Stay strong, it can be so worth it <3

I'm glad I've finally finished this story. It's got a few missteps, but it was quite enjoyable. It did feel a bit rushed towards the end, however, leaving little actual development between Vinyl and Octavia after her rescue.

Hey Nadir, I was hoping you could help me out. I’m looking for a fic I read maybe 7 months ago that is now deleted. It was similar to yours, an octavia vinyl story where vinyl is homeless. Octavia lives in a large mansion like apartment with a huge couch and film projector in a city.

Vinyl, down on her luck, finds herself homeless during the start of winter. Octavia initially meets her passing by on the street and takes her out for hot chocolate.
Later, vinyl is in her cardboard box home in an alleyway while its snowing, but octavia shows up, and takes her to her apartment.

Vinyl takes a bath but is malnourished, and faints while trying to magically grab a towel or something. Octavia freaks out, calls 911, and the paramedics arrive. After some treatment, they basically say shes malnourished and should rest and should refrain from using magic.

Anyway, it was one of the best fics I’ve ever read.

11262024
Let me know if you find it

11377737

Hey fellow octa scratch reader, you’re in luck! It took some weeks of searching but I finally found it with peoples help. It’s titled Stages
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/145575/stages
I still stand by my claim that it’s one of the best stories out there.

Btw, you’re a really good author, I’ve enjoyed your fics.

11378289
>Btw, you’re a really good author, I’ve enjoyed your fics.

Thank you! =)

10765376
You make a great point and if I could do back I'd do more of that. Stay tuned.

Lovely little story all things considered. Although I couldn't help but notice some very minor things, like some moments where paw is used when octavia shouldn't have paws and some points where words like people are used when it shouldn't cause ponies XD; a moment in the later chapters where its saying that vinyl is doing something where it should be octavia instead but that only happens once I think. As well if I recall there is a small inconsistency where I think in the beginning its mentioned that Vinyl's father started getting involved with stuff but it should probably be replaced with her mother getting involved instead. Still loved reading this story though, very entertaining. Hope these pointy points help if your planning to possibly refurbish this story a bit. Wonderful work.

The cover art could've been different. The way Octavia looks combined with the title "Spare some change?" made me think this story was about Octavia being on the streets instead of Vinyl.

Login or register to comment