• Published 15th Jun 2018
  • 2,946 Views, 13 Comments

Nostalgic - Rose Quill



Sunset comes home to find Twilight wearing her coat.

  • ...
4
 13
 2,946

But Still familiar

I had a moment of confusion when I opened the door and was staring at a young woman wearing a black leather jacket with yellow chevrons on the sleeves and a pair of fingerless gloves. She had a light tee on with a dark skirt over a pair of thigh high stockings. A rolled headband kept her hair out of her face. It was a nice look.

I was confused because it was my jacket Twilight was wearing. I’m not saying it wasn’t a good look on her, just that she never had seemed interested in wearing it.

“This is something of a surprise,” I commented as I turned the bolt in the door. “What is the occasion?”

Twilight smiled a little, playing with one of the sidelocks hanging down. She deliberately left those locks of hair down now, signs of nervousness now her favorite flirting ploy, next to glancing at me over the top rim of her glasses.

Despite having had them for a few years, the wire-framed glasses were still interesting. They were a touch more fashionable than the thick frames she had previously, likely thanks to a Rarity-fueled makeover she had gone through just prior to the incident with the Harpy.

“Well, in case you forgot, we just found out I’m pregnant and…” The twisting of her hair slowed as the memories flickered through her mind, swiftly replaced by her smile again. “And I’m just wondering when we grew up.” She gave the jacket a tug. “And why you stopped wearing this.”

I rubbed the back of my neck. “I don’t know,” I said. I took her into my arms and smiled. “It just happened.”

“Around the time you ascended.” She glanced at me with a soft smile. “Does this still bother you, even after all this time?”

I shifted a little. “I still feel a little like a pretender, like the wings are a mistake.” I leaned forward and rested my head on her forehead. “I know that I’m kind of stuck with them, and I’ve almost grown into them. But maybe a part of me realized it was time to move on. These jackets represent my past.”

She cupped my face. “And you can’t form a synthesis of the old and new?” She leaned back and plucked at the collar of my current pea coat. “I like this look on you, but I also liked the old look. It was representative of who you are. Tough, resilient,” her eyes fluttered and a flash of warmth flowed through the bond. “Sexy, even.”

I laughed. “So why wear it yourself?”

She blushed a little. “I was wondering what it felt like,” she admitted. “I know that I’ve worn it before, the time or two I forgot a jacket. But I never wore it just to feel it. To see what it might feel like.”

“And?” I didn’t intend for it to slip down, but my voice slipped lower and a little huskier. “Have you come to a conclusion?”

She nodded. “I know it isn’t an actual thing, but seeing myself in the mirror like this, I actually thought for a moment I was looking at someone else entirely. Someone tough, someone-“

“Sexy,” I purred as I leaned in. I felt as well as heard her breathing hitch and we slowly weaved our way to the bedroom, my old jacket landing on the floor just inside.


The next morning I was relacing a boot for a more snug fit when a weight settled into my shoulders. I saw the dark leather draped around my sides and smiled just as a pair of slim lavender arms wrapped around me.

“That was a magical experience,” she whispered into my ear.

I giggled and captured her hands with mine. “So was our last time,” I quipped.

“No,” she quickly said. “Not like that. Well, the wings were a different...I mean...gah!”

She rounded the couch and dropped next to me, the overlarge tee slipping slightly to reveal her left shoulder. Her hair was still a bit messy, a quick finger combing being evident. She was a little bleary eyed, messy, and barely the composed woman we saw at school.

And she was still more beautiful to me than anyone else had ever seemed.

“There was something different about last night,” she said. “I’m not sure what it was, but it almost felt like our first time but without the nervousness. Or the fumbling. It was perfect.”

I shifted and leaned back into her. “I don’t remember it like that,” I breathed. “I remember it as a night where we trusted each other more than any other time. Where our love transcended its own existence.”

She quirked an eyebrow at me, glasses glinting. “You’re being unusually philosophical about it,” she remarked.

I shrugged. “I’m just being truthful.” I turned and faced her. “Besides, this isn’t the first time we’ve been philosophical about life. You were the one that looked at the yearbooks as a ‘way to benchmark how far we’ve come from where we were.’”

She giggled a little. “Well, you were the one to say that we’d all be happy to look at them in thirty years.” She squeezed me a little. “That’s when I first knew you were going to be staying before you even got your wings.”

I felt my face heat up a little. “I… well.”

“Well, what?”

“I may have been just spouting off at the mouth,” I admitted. “Back then, even though I loved hanging out with you and the girls, I still had bouts of homesickness.”

“Had?” Twilight turned to face me, her eyes seeking. “But not anymore?”

I took her in my arms and kissed her gently, then booped her on the nose. “I am home,” I whispered. “And it doesn’t matter which side we’re on.”

I leaned back and felt her slip her hands around me. It was the opposite than our usual cuddling positions, but it was good. Perfect. It reminded me of the early days, before the nightmares had faded, when she would hold me and remind me that no matter what my fears were, I was loved and wanted.

It was just as nostalgic as the yearbooks would be one day.

I smiled, then patted her arms for a moment.”Come on,” I said, sitting up as she released me. “Get dressed, we’re going out today.”

“Where are we going?”

I winked at her and shrugged into my old coat, popping the collar.

“To make more memories.”

Author's Note:

Any typos or mistakes please let me know by PM.

Comments ( 13 )

Very cute :twilightsmile:

Cute! Short but sweet, and heartwarming at that! It makes me want to know more!

It's so fluffy I'm gonna die! :rainbowkiss:

I took her in my arms and kissed her gently, then booped her on the nose. “I am home,” I whispered. “And it doesn’t matter which side we’re on.”

D'awwwwwww. Probably the best, most adorable line in this fic.

Cute, and has some good ideas, but a little too brief. What the heck, have an upvote.

B_25 #6 · Jun 16th, 2018 · · 4 ·

8987786
mod abuse

Short, sweet and just enough feels. Well done! The ending made me want more, but kept me satisfied with the story itself. Spectacular job!

Absolutely wonderful, Short, and sweet, and doesn't tell any more than it needs to.

This was a very good and cute story. I really love this one, keep up the amazing work.

Pure, concentrated, adorable Sunlight. Thank you for it.

I leaned back and felt her slip her hands around me. It was the opposite than our usual cuddling positions, but it was good. Perfect. It reminded me of the early days, before the nightmares had faded, when she would hold me and remind me that no matter what my fears were, I was loved and wanted.

It goes to show they are a great couple, and I agree 100%.

That was adorable :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment