• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 875 Views, 34 Comments

Friendship is Failure #9: Inherit The Sun - DakariKingMykan



Celestia reveals to Twilight and friends a shocking secret about her that once nearly destroyed the balance of Equestrians

  • ...
67
 34
 875

Final Act: Believe in Belief

FINAL ACT

The friends had almost forgotten how to move, even in their magical state while observing the images.



Twilight hardly knew what to think or say as she just gawked at the empty courtroom so shocked and horrified. “I’ve never seen such a war on friendship…” she cried softly “Friendship isn’t meant to cause pain, suffering, humiliation…”



“And I thought I had it hard, not knowing what it’s really about.” added Starlight.



Celestia said nothing, just stood there with a very sad glance on her face.



“Your majesty…?” peeped Fluttershy, “…I’m alright…” Celestia replied, “But I can’t believe all this happened… all because of me and my secret.”



Luna comforted her sister, “We cannot stop now, sister… we are so near the end.”



Celestia pulled herself together, and lead everyone on to the next images.





Late in the night, Petal Dance, having witnessed everything that happened in that courtroom that day finally couldn’t stand it anymore and she wished to confront Shady herself…!



But when she pounded on the door of the hotel suite, it was Penny Till who answered it.



“Please, Ms. Till I must speak with him!”



“Not now, Petal. He isn’t feeling well. He’s been cooped up in his bedroom since the trial.”



Petal was most insistent, “No! I must see him! He has to tell Beck that it wasn’t my fault!”



“Please, not so loud.” begged Penny “You’ll wake him up, and he’s had a terrible day!”



“So what?!” snapped Petal “I want all of Equestria to know that Mayhew Sunshine Shady is a fraud!”



“How Dare You…!” Penny snapped, striking her across the face softly with her hoof, which she immediately regretted. “Please… forgive me…!”



Petal backed away from her a few paces.



“Petal, you must understand…”



“I understand plenty now.” cried Petal “I used to understand Mayhew. I would hear of him form my father. He as regarded as the noblest of ponies, and the most well-known of biblical scholars in Equestria.” She paused as tears began falling down her face, “I needed help, and I turned to your husband for help! But all he did was use me! He twisted my words…!



Why?! Please tell me why, Penny Till?!”



Even Penny couldn’t seem to answer for her husband’s actions that day. “I have no idea why, I’m just guessing… guessing that it was too much for him to bear. Maybe he was afraid… afraid to be proven wrong, or challenged in way that he couldn’t defend himself.”



Petal couldn’t believe what she was hearing, “And yet you still try to defend him, after all the wicked things he’s done?”



“Stop it!” cried Penny “He is my husband, I have lived with him for a very long time, and I am defending only that! That is how I see him, as my husband, and provider, and he done so much for me over the years. I could never turn my back on him even after what he did today.



He is a pony, not a saint, not a devil…and even he is capable of making mistakes. Even then, he is willing to stand up for what he believes in, but are you, Petal Dance?



Do you believe in my husband, or do you believe in Beckon Rates? Only you can choose that for yourself, but I choose to believe in my husband!”



The argument of the ladies eventually awoke Shady, and he came out from the bedroom. He looked awfully sad and tired, as if he hadn’t really rested at all.



“Mayhew…” said his wife “We didn’t mean to wake you.”



“It’s alright, Penny.” her husband said, and he looked earnestly at Petal, “What can I do for you, my child?”



Petal didn’t respond to him. She just glared at him with hurtful eyes, and then turned to leave the suite, knowing what she had to do now.



Dejected, and already feeling miserable, Mayhew consulted his wife, “What did she want, Penny?” but then again, he didn’t need her to answer, as he had been reflecting upon his own actions “…Did I really hurt her that much?”



Penny comforted him, “You didn’t mean to. Oh, Mayhew…! I know you were only trying to stand up for your beliefs, and I never doubted you before. That’s what made me love you from the start, because you never gave up your hope or your principles.”



Shady sighed and said, “Penny, it’s more than just that. I’m not fighting for myself. I’m doing this for all those like me, who support me. A victory here would mean a monument to the gods that would last for ages.”



Penny shook her head, “But Mayhew, try to understand; you can’t build the monument for them all, or it’ll just be your monument, not theirs. They’ll turn away from it… just like they turned away from you today.”



Shady, in a mix of shame and anger, stated, “They didn’t understand… but I’ll make them understand!” and with that he dashed back into the bedroom.



“Mayhew…!” cried Penny as she followed him in, and saw that he had spent all his time preparing a speech for the court; parchments and open books lay all about. “I’ll make them understand! I’ll give them such a speech they’ll have to listen!”



“Mayhew! Mayhew please, don’t do this!” cried Penny.



“I have to!” shouted Shady “I have to do this! I have to fight… for honor… for truth…” he stopped as he sagged down into his chair, and he broke down in tears, “They were laughing, Penny! They were laughing at me! I can’t stand it when ponies laugh at me…!”



His wife cuddled him close letting him cry, but at the same time it broke her heart to see him all messed up like this, “It’ll be alright, Mayhew. Just take it easy…!”







The friends didn’t know whether to take pity on Shady, or continue to loathe him for his previous actions.



“I don’t know how much more sadness and heartbreak I can take!” cried Fluttershy “Every-pony’s just falling apart because of this trial.”



Celestia hung her head low for a moment in shame, but then perked up and changed the images to the final day of the trial, the next day…!







As everyone began to assemble, the judge was looking over a newspaper that had been given to her; news of the trial and the law passed in Canterlot had every other state in Equestria in uproar of the silliness that was taking place… especially the part of Shady’s rantings and how he was being denounced as a fraud himself.



The judge felt humiliated herself by all this, but whatever was she to do; go easy on the case? As a judge she an obligation to the law! However, upon re-examining the documents and records of the case, as well as the law that was supposedly being violated… there was one way out of it, but it all depended on what the final verdict would be.





Meanwhile, the bailiff brought in the prisoner, and Rates suddenly stopped when he noticed Drummer wasn’t sitting at the defense table alone.



“Petal…?”



His fiancée looked up at him as he approached her.



“What are you doing here?”



“Beck… I’ve left my father. I know where my loyalties lie now; not with him, and not with Shady, but what I believe in… and I believe in you, Beck.”



Rates smiled warmly at her.



“Beck, Shady twisted my words…”



“I know… it wasn’t your fault. I’m just glad you’re here, that’s all.”



Petal smiled at him as they both sat down. Drummer smiled at how happy the two of them looked together, “Welcome back to our side.” Drummer said to Petal.



She nodded loyally at him.





Finally, the jury came in after a long time of discussing the final verdict and each took their seats.



Twilight’s eyes fell upon her great-grandfather, Night Light, at the head of the jury.





The judge banged her gavel and declared, “Court will now come to order!”



Everyone quieted down, and the jury turned to the ponies of the jury, “Have you reached a verdict?”



Night Light stood, “We have, your honor…” and he used his magic to levitate to the judge for her to see. “We of the jury have voted unanimously… and we find the defendant, Dr. Beckon Rates… Guilty!”



Rates gasped!



“No!” Petal cried softly.



Drummer angrily pounded the table, “Silly fools!” he grumbled, while the rest of the courtroom was echoing with the mixed sounds of outrage for those who now sided with the defense, while all the rest cheered and rejoiced that Shady had won!



As for Shady, he was overjoyed with excitement as he exchanged hoof-shakes, compliments and blessings form his supporters.





“SILENCE!” the judge shouted as she banged her gavel, “This court is still in session!”



The courtroom silenced instantly.



“Beckon Rates, come and stand before me.”



Rates nervously stood, and Petal felt her devastation returning.



“Dr. Rates, have you anything to say before sentence is passed?”



Rates took in a deep breath and carefully chose his words, fearing they would be his lasts as a free-pony. “Your honor, I am not a political speaker, nor am I a catalyst or some big-shot preacher…” he paused “I am but a humble scientist and a school-teacher.”





“NOT ANYMORE YOU’RE NOT!!” shouted Ma Wool!



“Yeah… Lock him up!” demanded another pony.



More ponies chattered away offering their scorn for Rates while others booed them for their bad attitude, having been reformed by the trial’s teachings.



The judge silenced them by banging her gavel.



Rates cleared his throat, “Regardless of what I am, or what you or any other pony may think or see me as now, I feel that I have been convicted of violating an unjust law, and regardless of what you may or may not do to me, I will continue to oppose this law, and stand for what believe in, for I do not wish to be subjected to a community where one cannot think for themselves, and must be told what to believe in or be punished.



I cannot live a lie!”



He said nothing else.



The judge cleared her throat, “Dr. Beckon Rates… this court has found you guilty of violating statured law of teaching against the ways of friendship and magic. This violation is punishable either by imprisonment, and/or a fine payment.”



The crowds gawked on in anticipation, waiting for the big sentence!



“However!” the judge stated as she adjusted her glasses “In view of recent documentation, and the knowledge that this law was only put into effect seven days ago, and despite the its long-term but never enforced existence, records indicate there has never been any previous violation of this law.



Also, the evidence presented by both side have proven that neither is right or wrong over the other; each with their own pros and cons to follow.



Therefore, the bench cannot hold precedence to pass a sentence of imprisonment.”



Expressions began to change, from hopeful to nervous and vice-versa, depending upon which side one was siding with.





“Therefore…” the judge declared, “It is my decision, and I deem it proper, to sentence Beckon Rates to pay a fine of…” she paused and cleared her throat “…50 Bits.”



Beck grinned from ear to ear, and Petal wiped her tears of happiness while most of the crowd cheered, while others were livid!



Shady bolted upright, “Your honor, did you really just say… “Fifty bits…?!” …Such a low fine?”



“That is what I said, sir.” replied the judge.



“B-B-But your honor…!” cried Shady “This is preposterous! I take offense to this, the whole prosecution does! Surely you must dish out a much larger fine… or some harsh punishment!”



Drummer stood and called out, “I object to Mr. Shady’s ramblings. The amount of the fine, whether high or low, makes no difference to me or my client. Dr. Beckon Rates has no intention of paying it or any fine whatsoever, not even if it were one-single bit, we will not pay it.



We are going to appeal this decision to Princess Celestia herself upon her return form her conference in Balitmare, and also with the reports and record form this court, we shall also appeal for the law of the teachings of science to be repealed.



…Will the court grant us thirty days in which to prepare our appeal?”



“So Granted…” replied the judge “Court fixes bond at 100 bits, and I believe that concludes this trial and its business.”





She was about to dismiss the court, when Shady, refusing to accept defeat, ranted, “Your honor… please wait! I wish to read into the record some remarks I have composed!”



“Objection!” shouted Drummer, “You may wish to read those passages you have written, Mr. Shady, but as you can’t seem to accept; they no longer hold any boundaries as this case is now through. Our business here is completed.



The defense moves that court be adjourned!”



Panicking, Shady tried to appeal to the judge, “But your honor, I have remarks to make, the court must hear this!”



The judge only glared pitifully at him, “I’m sorry, Mr. Shady. Although I am quite certain that every pony here would love to listen to your findings… perhaps in a public reading or a church preaching, but I’m afraid that Mr. Drummer is quite correct.



I hereby declare this court is officially adjourned sine die!”

“No! NO!!!” cried Shady, and even after the gavel was banged he still refused to accept defeat, and began to shout out and ramble his speech to the court; about friendship, magic, and the joys he truly believed in… anything to save his reputation. However, most ponies were not interested in what he had to say and had already left, while those that did stay only gawked at him with extreme shock, the way he was panicking, and desperately trying to win back support.



“You must listen to me!!” shouted Shady “The prophets of friendship, magic and harmony, these are our salvations… our only true paths to govern all… I will… continue… to support… them… even in… death…!”



His voice suddenly cut out, and he clutched his aching chest, falling flat on the floor.



“Mayhew!! MAYHEW…!!” Penny screamed as she ran to her husband’s side!



Devastated, everyone huddled around him, even Drummer, Rates and Petal!



Ma Wool prayed above for someone to “…Please pass us a miracle! Save our friend, our prophet!”



“Quick, get a doctor!” shouted Drummer.





The images paused again, and Celestia was quivering with guilt and shame, as her tears cascading down her face, but she didn’t sob.



“Did he…?” cried Twilight “Tell me he didn’t…!”



Celestia couldn’t find her words, so it was Luna whom replied, “…He died… of a fatal heart attack.”



The friends were positively crushed! Shady was loud, and pushy, but they all felt he didn’t deserve to die, although he did rather bring it on himself.



“He just couldn’t accept defeat.” said Spike.





Celestia wiped her tears away and said, “When I returned, and I had heard of all the baffling commotions caused by the trial, I accepted Mr. Drummers appeal. Dr. Rates was left off the hook, and I repealed the law, but… it was already too late. So much irreparable damage had been done.



Shady was dead, and though he was horrible in his own way, there was much greatness in him if he was well known and respected by others.”



The ponies and Spike all bowed their heads, feelings part of the shame.



“Um… what happened to every-pony else…?” Fluttershy asked.



Celestia, showed the final images of what happened…





Even though the law was repealed and Rates was a free pony, he was still being ridiculed and taunted by all the ponies still loyal to the late, Mayhew Sunshine Shady.



“You killed him! You black-hearted murderer…!”



“They should’ve lopped your head off in that courtroom!”



“Take your science and your face and get on out of this town!”





Unable to stand the ridicule and the unjust, and fearing for Petal’s own reputation and safety, the two decided to leave Canterlot and make their own lives elsewhere. They moved to Ponyville where Rates continued his studies and his teachings, but he no longer mentioned word of Celestia’s secret, being unable to move the sun.



“Every-pony is free to believe in whatever they choose to believe.” he would preach.



He and his wife settled down, and had a son and daughter that went on to follow in their father’s hoof-steps and be scientists and well-educated like he was.





Penny Till missed her husband so much, that she eventually became ill, but she requested no medical treatment, wishing to die in peace so that she would reunite with her beloved Shady.





Petal’s father, he remained in Canterlot, and never had any contact with his daughter again, and finally accepting his punishment for his rash and uncouth behaviour. He spent the rest of his life preaching to his choirs about his mistakes, helping them to never be repeated amongst others.



As for Lawford Drummer, he returned to Ponyville and allowed Rates to become a colleague in his law firm and studies.



The two remained good friends, but always remembered the trial, and also mourned a bit of the loss of Shady, feeling he didn’t deserve to die.





That was all there was to see. Celestia undid the spell, and cast everyone back to the present; 100 years later.



“Ever since then, every year at the Summer Sun Festival, I take a few moments to myself to reflect upon that time… when my secret and dishonesty raised such an issue that it cost several ponies their lives, and disbanded so many friendships.”



No one could argue with her there, and now they all understood why.



“But then, why do you continue to let everyone think you can raise the sun?” Starlight asked.



Luna filled in the answer, “Whatever anyone chooses to believe of us is their own right. However, to ensure that the past does not repeat itself, my sister and I did make it a law that this issue is never to be questioned or made into a public case ever again.



You may believe and read about it, you just may not use the law to enforce it.”



“That’s a law I can agree to.” said Spike. The others all nodded, agreeing with him.





“Now that you all know…” said Celestia “I must repeat my solemn request for you not to mention this to another living soul.”



“But, we can’t just let you continue to dwell like this.” cried Fluttershy.



Celestia shook her head, “Shedding a few tears year, or being haunted by my past may seem hard, but it’s my own problem, and I don’t wish for any more to be involved.



You understand this?”



Twilight spoke on her friends’ behalf, “We understand, your highness. We won’t tell anyone.”



The friends all bowed to the royal sisters, and with that all done, the friends took their leave to rejoin their friends and other guests at the festival.





Celestia and Luna watched the festival from the terrace of the palace, and while Celestia felt joy to see all her subjects having a wonderful time, she still felt the darkness eat at her remembering all those affected by her secret long ago, and no amount of friendship would ever put things right there.





Luna hated seeing her sister so distraught. “Remember the old proverb, sister…” she said to her, “Ye that troubleth their own family shall inherit the sun…”





Celestia smiled softly, and continued, “…and the fool shall be servant to darkness of soul.”



The two sisters simply stood side-by-side, basking in the sunlight as they continued to watch out over the land and those who lived and believed in it.

Comments ( 11 )

Is this what they call a Bittersweet ending?

8454826

Pretty much...

(To all my haters downvoting my comment responses... UP YOURS!!)

8454868
I'd reply with a video of Monty Python policemen using an Ouija board, but I'm using my phone and it doesn't work enough

This was a great story. The only issue I really have is Shady’s cardiac arrest caused by... losing the case. Even in the world of MLP, that doesn’t make sense. If you could, could you explain to me why losing the case caused his heart to fail?

10197070

He was overwhelmed with stress and anxiety from his failure, and desperate to get people to pay attention to him... that would do it to anybody.

10197092
That’s what I figured happened, but I wanted to be sure, just in case. Thanks for the clarification.

Personally, I think this is one of your best works.

It also kind of reminds me of Ace Attorney

like the bible reference at the end, to those wonderin, the original quote is He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart.

Do you believe in my husband, or do you believe in Beckon Rates? Only you can choose that for yourself, but I choose to believe in my husband!”

Why does she have to choose?

The friends were positively crushed! Shady was loud, and pushy, but they all felt he didn’t deserve to die, although he did rather bring it on himself.

I think there’s this thing called karma.

Luna filled in the answer, “Whatever anyone chooses to believe of us is their own right. However, to ensure that the past does not repeat itself, my sister and I did make it a law that this issue is never to be questioned or made into a public case ever again.

What is she talking about?

11217989

Sort of...

What he's doing is he's pointing out how FLAWED their beliefs are, same way how people pointed out flaws in the Bible.

Or even more...

Jonah was swallowed by a GREAT FISH (But in reality, even the biggest of Great Fishes can't swallow a human whole; they don't fit)

Joshua halted the sun in the sky. It's not the sun that moves, but rather the Earth spinning on its axis, and if the Earth were in fact to stop spinning, it would shrivel up from excessive exposure to sunlight and be destroyed..

Aphraxad begat Salah; and Salah begat Eber Basically, these people are the holiest of holy in the bible, but they conceived (Begat) their children and they begat theirs the same way anyone would... BY DOING THAT!! But the Bible considers DOING THAT as original sin.

11218239
Ok, i think I get it.

Login or register to comment