• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 875 Views, 34 Comments

Friendship is Failure #9: Inherit The Sun - DakariKingMykan



Celestia reveals to Twilight and friends a shocking secret about her that once nearly destroyed the balance of Equestrians

  • ...
67
 34
 875

Act 4: Suffering

ACT FOUR

The next images the friends saw was later on that night. A big banquet dinner was being hosted at the hotel for the attorneys, and anyone from the prosecution or defense was welcome without question.



Sad to say, more ponies seemed to huddle around Shady at his big table, requesting to sit with him to discuss matters of the case, while Drummer at a small table for two by himself in a corner of the room and at his meal.





Shady’s followers were listening to Shady preach on about slander the science community. “It constantly amazes me; the way these ponies would have their children defecting to a world of science and disrespect. If you ask me it’s just a whole lot of ways to kill each other in wars than come to mutual agreements.



It’s all just a load darkness compared of the light of friendship, I say.”



“HERE HERE…” the ponies all cheered, raising their glasses.



“But Mr. Shady…” asked a supporter “Do you really think all of Canterlot will share your view of things?”



“Oh, I should hope so…” replied Shady “But then again, it’s not just for Canterlot, but all of Equestria, and I’m sad to say there are just as some out there who share the point of view of the scientific evolution.”





The friends were far from amused with Shady’s attitude, “I’m really starting to hate this guy…” said Spike.



“Spike, don’t you think that’s a little strong?” asked Twilight.



“Actually, Twilight, I think I’m with Spike.” said Starlight “He seems more bent on changing ponies’ way of thinking than supporting a cause. His type usually only end up in one place on such a path… bottom-ring.”



She based all that from her own past experience and wicked ways in trying to control ponies to think like her, which earned her much sympathy from the others.



“You have to admit, he is rather convincing.” said Fluttershy, as she noted the many ponies gathering around Shady as he said grace to bless the meal. Even thanking Princess Celestia for “The glorious feast” which “She” provided for them; even though she was still in Baltimare attending her conference and would be there for a whole week.



“I said grace for you too, Lawford.” Shady called over, and Drummer grimly raised his glass in mock-thanks, and then turned to concentrate on his own meal while Shady and his followers continued to discuss their matters.





Penny Till came into the dining hall, and smiled at how much fame and attention her husband was getting, even if there was no room for her to sit at the master table.



“Penny, you may sit with me if you want.” Drummer offered.



She kindly accepted his offer. “Oh, Lawford… it’s been too long hasn’t it. You and Mayhew used to be so close.”



Drummer couldn’t deny his own past; there was a time when he and Shady looked up to one another, both believing in friendship and magic. “Well, that’s the evolution of science for you. I saw the light… or in his case, I saw the darkness.”



Penny couldn’t help but chuckle at his humor. She knew he didn’t wish to insult her husband, despite being on opposing sides in the trial. “I never thought I’d see the day when both your ideas would come to this; conflict in the law, and a fight to resolve.”



“Well, it’s not exactly that. It’s more a fight for the right to be different.”



He gazed over at Shady, who was happily talking with his followers, and cracking a few jokes here and there.



“I see the volume of his voice hasn’t changed much either.” Drummer joked.



Penny chuckled, “He does mean well, Law, and I know you do too.”



Drummer smiled, “It sounds better coming from you.”



Both of them looked over at Shady, as he continued to converse and joke about. “Something about him just brings out the worst in me.” Drummer said “The way he keeps telling others how to act and live.”



“Oh, come now…” said Penny, “I think that all any-pony wants is to be cared for and about, and honored in truth.”





The friends thought it was somewhat touching to see how similar both ponies were. “They are two sides of the same coin.” said Celestia



Luna shook her head as she gazed between the two stallions. “It still fascinates me that such ponies as they represent the trial.”







The next images came around later that night, in the churchyard of Petal’s father a she delivered a welcoming mass for all involved, Prosecution and Defense alike, just to hear him out.



Naturally, Shady and his wife attended, and even Drummer attended to get a good idea of what he was fending off; how much devotion the ponies had to their faith and beliefs in Magic and Friendship.



Petal in the crowd as well, as ordered by her father, and she was still trying to stick to her family’s faith so as not to appear unholy, but she had a rather distraught look on her face; still shaken from the ultimatum Rates had presented her with.



It was thing like these that she and many others would turn to her father for confiding, but of course her father’s increasingly and baffling behaviour turned her away from him, especially the way he shouted out to the assembly…



“And it was on that night, that Princess Celestia smite the wicked Nightmare Moon, and banished her to the moon, letting there don light from the glories of harmony, that was caused by the elements, used in the good will of friendship and magic!”



The crowds cheered for him.



Drummer sighed, “My, is this what I came to deal with?” he muttered to Petal. “I think I’ve heard enough. I’ll see you tomorrow in court.” And he left, and just as Preach shouted out…





“Do we believe in the faith and in Celestia?”



“YES!!” responded the crowds.



“Do we believe in the light of friendship and magic?”



“YES!!”



“Do we curse the wicked one who denies the faith?!” naturally he refered to Rates, much to Petals heart-break.



“YES!!” the crowd cheered.



“SHALL WE SMITE THE WICKED ONE FOR HIS GOING AGAINST THE FAITH AND CAST HIM INTO ETERNAL DAMNATION!!”



“YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!”



“O’ great gods of friendship, might prosper of magic! Give us the strength to silence the great evil that has descended upon us, as ye had to those who faced our dreaded enemies of old. Let him know… the word of the true faith… let him feast upon the wrath of thy vengeance… and mat his filthy soul be damned for all eternity!!”





“NO!!” screamed Petal, and she ran up to her father, “You can’t damn Beck like this! Don’t pray to destroy him!”



He big father angrily shoved her to the ground, glaring at her most furiously, “And may the teachings of faith condemn the souls who show mercy to this sinner to the same fate! EVEN IF THEY BORN OF MY FLESH AND BLOOD!!”



The crowds gasped, and Petal burst in tears!



Even the friends felt her father had gone too far. “Why you…!!” Spike shouted as he lunged straight for Preach, “Spike…!” cried Twilight.



Spike lunged straight at the loudmouth pony, and flew right through him, crashing onto the ground. The others winced, and spike lay face down on the ground.



“Oof…!” he groaned, “…I forgot, they aren’t real!”



Due to the surroundings and circumstances, even though they could physically walk on the ground, Spike left no prints or marks in the dirt, or even stirred up any dust.



Twilight and Fluttershy floated down to help him back up to the group, and Celestia hung her head low, “They may not be real to us, but they were real and alive once, and all this really happened!”



Luna comforted her sister, and the others were horridly infuriated. Fluttershy felt like crying for poor Petal for the way her father had just treated her.





Shady and Penny comforted the fallen pony, and Penny held her close letting her cry softly, and Shady spoke directly but calmly to her father, “Reverend Choir… that is enough. I understand your feelings and desires to defend your faith that would carry you far, but you needn’t go too far sir. If you wish to save your daughter, you shouldn’t be so quick and brash with her, otherwise will be left with nothing but regret and emptiness, and nothing left to save.”



Preach, panting heavily began to regret his actions, but couldn’t find it to apologize to his daughter either.



“Remember, the proverb taught to us in the chronicles of harmony…” said Shady “It reads: He that troubleth his own family shall inherit the sun: and the fool shall be servant to darkness of soul.”



He then turned to address the crowd, “The teachings of friendship teach us to forgive and forget, and to leave damnation to the will of the fates.



Now I suggest you all go home and rest well. May the blessings of harmony be with you all...”



The stunned, silent crowd left the vicarage not saying a single word, while Preach, ever in so much regret, hung his head low as he himself headed off, not even bothering to look back at his shaken daughter, nor would she look at him, not after what he did! She was so upset and so frightened she didn’t want to go home, not to him!



“Oh, come now, dear…” said Penny “He didn’t mean those things he said.”



Petal tearfully shook her head, “He damned me… my own father!”



“No, no, Petal… he didn’t mean that.” said Penny, but Petal refused to believe “He’s done it to me, he’s done it to Beck, and he did it to…” she stopped before uttering another sound!



“What was that?” Shady asked. Petal tried to deny it, not wishing to say anything. “My dear, if it will help you… that is all I wish to do.”



Petal still felt skeptical, “It’s what started the whole thing, what drove Beck to quit church and question beliefs; a friend of his…! But I told it to Beck in confidence, I swore I’d never tell another soul the reason for his turning his back…!” she began to get hysterical again.



Penny handed the shaken pony a hankie from her purse, “Calm down, Petal. Try to keep calm.”



“We’ll do all we can to help if you explain to us.” her husband added.



Petal was so hysterical and so desperate for help; she actually decided to put her trust in Shady and agreed for her to confide in him.





The friends saw the trio walk off, and they were far from amused by Shady’s sudden act of kindness and sympathy.







Later on, Shady and Penny returned to the hotel to find Drummer sitting outside on the porch. He looked rather lonesome all on his own, of which Shady also seemed to take pity on. “I’ll be up in a moment, dear.” He said as his kissed his wife goodnight.



“Don’t be too long.” Said Penny, “Goodnight, Lawford.”



“Goodnight, Penny.” Drummer called.



After Penny went inside, Shady walked over to Drummer and sat on a chair away from him, “You can’t sleep?”



“No; too hot, too concerned… can’t stop thinking about the case. And you…?”



Shady chuckled, “Oh, what’s the use?” he teased “It still baffles me how it’s come to this. We used to be so close, came from the same view, and then we drifted apart like leaves floating on the water.”



Drummer shrugged, “It’s a natural realism, Mayhew. Things are always changing and we can’t really stop it. Sometimes it’s all for the best.”



Shady couldn’t disagree too much with that, “Still, who has it better, myself or you? Or is it just another one of your scientific realisms?” he joked.



Drummer chuckled, “I know what you’re thinking, but even if I try to explain it, I know just how you’ll react, probably like how that Preach Choir behaved today.”



“How do you know what happened? You left early.”



“He was shouting at the top of his lungs, Mayhew, I could hear him form all the way down the street, so could others.” He paused, “I tell you, if he weren’t a preacher and if I wasn’t as civilized… I’d probably belt him a couple times.”



Shady’s features hardened, but he kept calm, “Oh, really… what happened in the yard was the result of his faith being challenged. He acted in a manner that anyone would have.”



“Well, it still didn’t give him the right to do it, as far as I see.” said Drummer “Faith may be one thing, but the law is another. He’s lucky he didn’t get charged with assault, domestic abuse or making a public spectacle of himself disturbing the peace.”



Shady made no remark about that, he just sighed pitifully, “Is that why you decided to abandon the faith? That which bound us together like brothers, and which we lived among our breather in sanctity and bliss…?”



“Believe me, Mayhew, you may not see it but I still hold some faith, but I also discovered that sometimes things are not as simple as they seem, but that’s all I’ll say to you. I don’t think you’d understand… or least you wouldn’t be willing to.”



It was really getting late and Drummer decided to adjourn to bed.



“I don’t intend to lose this case, Lawford Drummer, just so you know.”



Drummer smirked at his rival, “You something, Mayhew Sunshine Shady… neither do I.”



The two ponies looked at each other either in great respect, or a slight hint of intimidation and determination. “Goodnight, Mayhew, and good luck. You’re going to need it.”



Then he went back inside to adjourn to his room, leaving Shady to sit on the deck ad say to himself, “I don’t need luck, my old friend… because I have faith… and I have something much more than that to back me up.”



He acted rather sinister and secretive.