• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 876 Views, 34 Comments

Friendship is Failure #9: Inherit The Sun - DakariKingMykan



Celestia reveals to Twilight and friends a shocking secret about her that once nearly destroyed the balance of Equestrians

  • ...
67
 34
 876

Act 5: Big Bad Badger

ACT FIVE

The next images were of the trial the next day. It was still pretty hot, but the fans were working and wouldn’t blow the fuses again.



Now, today was the day, to being the questioning witnesses and testimony, in which to determine the fate of Beckon Rates for his teachings.



“Court will come to order.” the judge declared, and everyone took their seats. Rates cast a look over at Petal, and he was surprised to see her sitting next to her father after what he was able to hear of last night, as the jailhouse was not far from the churchyard, and judging from her father’s “normal” expression, “I don’t think he’s really forgiven her.” Rates whispered to Drummer.



“Never mind that.” said Drummer “I’ve got this case beaten, you’ll see. I called in all the best witnesses that I could.”



The judge banged her gavel shouting “Order in the court! We shall begin with the first witness…”





The first witness was non-other than a Pegasus named Stuttershy, Fluttershy’s great-grandmother, and she was just a timid and meek as Fluttershy herself, and she stuttered and stammered a lot when trying to speak.



“Is it something that runs in your family?” Spike asked.



Fluttershy blushed in embarrassment.





“Shh…!” said Twilight and Starlight; they wanted to hear the proceedings.





Shady, as the prosecutor cross-examined Stuttershy first. “Now, my dear… you were a student of Dr. Rates, were you?”



Due to her timidity, Stuttershy spoke very spoftly, “Um… I… w-w-w-well.”



“Eh, would you speak up please, ma’am…?” said Shady.





“I w-w-was his student… a year ago… be… before I graduated.” replied Stuttershy.



“I see…” said Shady “And how much science and naturalism did he teach you?”



“Um… I guess… a… a lot.” replied Sttutershy “W-w-we… learned about… evolution, formation, energy-forces… a-a-and, I think what I liked the most was…”



“Er, never mind that…” Shady cut in “Let me ask you this: In all his scientific teachings, did Dr. Rates ever mention anything about magic?”



“Um… No…”



“No?” Shady asked rather sternly, “Did he happen to mention any passages about friendship in his lessons either?”



Stuttershy quivered nervously and she squeaked, “…No.”



“And do you also feel that maybe he should have taught you about it?”



“I… I…” she stammered heavily and finally said “…I don’t know.”



“Well, there you have it…” Shady announced to the court, “Let it be known that her poor mind was denied of the teachings of friendship and magic, and ruled out by the teachings of Dr. Rates.”



Rates sighed angrily. The way Shady spoke of him, he made it sound like he deliberately taught Stuttershy to go against friendship for science.



“I also state…” Shady continued “That the ways of the teaching of science and its evil ways; should the law as it stands not be upheld, shall continue to confuse and twists the minds of our youth today, subjecting them to a faithless world of ignorance and meaninglessness.



Hence forth, we should uphold the law to hold Dr. Rates in contempt for his means to brainwash our society as it stands.”



He sat back down again and passed control to Drummer, “Your witness, sir.”



A silence fell as Drummer sat unamused and unimpressed by his opponents rantings, until he got up and said to Shady, “Thank you very much for that rather inspiring speech.”



“Ooooo…” hissed the crowd, while Shady cringed softly at the obvious insult.



Drummer quietly approached the witness, keeping in mind of her meek nature, so he spoke soft and gently to her. “Now, Ms. Stuttershy… you say that you studied science from the teachings of Dr. Rates, is that right?”



“Y-Y-Yes…”



Drummer smirked, “Very good, now tell me… did you happen to think anything was wrong about that?”



Stuttershy hesitated as she tried to find an answer, “I… I don’t think so.”



Shady’s attorney stood up shouting, “Objection! The defense is asking a timid, stuttering pony, who graduated school a couple of years back, to hand down an opinion on morality.”



Drummer cleared his throat, “I am merely trying to inquire that if this pony, I myself, every-pony in this courtroom, or even you yourself, your honor, has the right to think.”



The judge tipped her glasses, “Mr. Drummer, the right to think is not standing trial here.”



Drummer looked the judge right in the eyes, “With all due respect, madam, I highly disagree. It seems not only is the right to think on trial, but the right to teach, learn, understand, and even evolution itself, and on the very verge of collapsing I might add.”



Shady stood, “Preposterous. These things are not on trial…” he then motioned towards Rates, “It is a pony that stands on trial.”



Drummer turned to sternly address Shady, “Yes, a pony…: A pony who wishes to think, and teach so that others may learn and understand the things that he learned and understood; a pony that is facing potential punishment all because of other ponies disagreeing with his views.”





The judge could not see whether to sustain or overrule the objection, and simply asked for Drummer to “…Kindly rephrase your question.”



Drummer complied and asked Stuttershy, “Now, ma’am, these teachings of Dr. Rates… did they hurt you in any form or manner?”



“Uh… N-N-No… not really.”



“So, nothing bad happened at all? No physical injury? No run of misfortune, causalities of any sorts? Was your lifestyle affected, or was your family life put in danger?”



Stuttershy shook her head nervously.



Shady called out, “Why not ask if her faith in magic and friendship has been shattered, or even her faith in Princess Celestia.”





Drummer cringed softly, and turned to look over at Shady, “Mr. Shaddym you have already cross-examined the witness. Will you kindly let me ask my own questions?”



Shady grumbled and sat down quietly.



“Now, Ms. Stuttershy…” Drummer continued “What did you ever think of your teacher, Dr. Rates?”



“I… I-I-I beg your pardon?” stammered Stuttershy.



“Was he mean to you and your fellow classmates in any way? Did he force you to obey his commands, and cram the knowledge down your throats in any manner?”



“Oh, no… no, no, no… he was very kind and gentle. We found his teachings very interesting.”



Rates smiled at her from the defense table, and she smiled at him in thanks, and Drummer smiled as well believing he was gaining strength in his case.



“Now one other I’d like to know is… how did all this science and natural-law and things you learned, how did you feel about them, apart from interested as you learned?”



“Um… I-I-I… don’t understand.” replied Stuttershy.



“Well, let me put it this way, did you ever question about things? Like, how about those fans in the room? Now they’re powered by the force known as electricity, not friendship. Does that make them bad in anyway?”



“No, of course not…”



Drummer nodded, “And what of our ancient ancestors who lived centuries before us who built all that we now call our village, do you honestly believe it was friendship alone that build this city or lead to the discoveries of new products?”





Shady wouldn’t stand for this. “Your honor!” he shouted as he stood “I believe I’ve heard enough of this. The defense is clearly confusing living beings with inanimate objects that cannot feel or be subjected to the great words and prophets of faith, and I do not believe the witness should be brainwashed by this scientific mumbo-jumbo any longer.



Have you no shame, Mr. Drummer?”





Drummer turned and looked straight at him, “Mr. Shady, in view of this trial, “Shame” has no meaning to me…”



The crowds began to exchange expressions and words of concern from what was just said, while Shady took this as a good sign for him.



“…It has no meaning to me YET!” snapped Drummer “But right now, TRUTH does! The truth of the way to exist and be... the differences between right and wrong… and most of all; how we uphold these rights and ways and what we do with them, preferably when it comes to the behaviour of judging others.”



The crowds were stunned again by Drummer’s outburst.





“Inspiring, truly inspiring.” said Luna.



Even Twilight was beginning to admire Lawford Drummer and his idealisms. “I think I’d like to read more about him when this is over.”



Celestia herself was equally as pleased, “I never knew Drummer personally, but the way I see him now is the way I see him as always since that first time I went through this; he would have made a great governor for Equestrian bylaws and teachings.”







Back to the trial, Drummer excused Stuttershy from the stand, having no further questions to ask her, but Shady was far from beaten.



“Well, well, Lawford Drummer. That was very touching, but highly immoral as well.”



“On what grounds to you base that off of?” Drummer asked.



“It’s obvious isn’t it; the way you intend to twist ponies’ minds-- you already showed that when you chose the jury without question-- thinking you can mold them and convince them to think like you do, and like you just did to the witness just now.”



Drummer was growing furious, “How dare you accuse me of such a horrible act, Mayhew Sunshine Shady! All I am merely trying to prevent is a whole lot of nonsense from medieval mentioning and ancient proverbs affect us in our modern day society!”



The Judge banged her gavel, “Mr. Drummer, you are falling out of order. This is not a federal court.”



Drummer didn’t seem to care as he sat down saying, “Well it has to be stopped somehow.”



Shady then spoke to the judge, “Your honor, I’ll tell you what is happening. He is trying to trying to make us overlook the crimes of the defendant and put the law itself on trial.”



“No, I am not!” snapped Drummer “I am merely questioning things.”



“Oh, is that what you call it? Well I have someone else for you to question.” Said Shady, and he turned back to the judge, “I’d like to call a surprise witness to the stands to shed some light on this case…



…Call Miss Petal Dance to the stand!”



The courtroom was filled with gasps and chattering of shock… even the friends were shocked… but Petal was easily the most shocked by all this, and so was her fiancé



“Did you know of this?” Rates asked to Drummer.



“I didn’t know. That’s just like Shady, always trying to pull a last minute stunt out of his hat!”





Petal had no choice but to approach the stand.



Rates bolted up right and asked with concern, “Petal… what happened? What did you tell him?”



Petal didn’t get a chance to answer as the judge banged her gavel, directing her to come forth, “Ms. Dance… if you please…”



Poor Petal had to comply and was seated in the stand, and the bailiff swore her to oath, “Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing bu the truth, by the prophet of Celestia?”



“…I do.”





Rates sat back down feeling very worried, as Shady approached his fiancé and began to question her.



“Now then, Miss. Dance… I would like you to repeat for me some of things you said to me last night.”



Petal shook her head, “Mr. Shady, I confided in you, please don’t make me say it.”



“Now, now, my dear… you said you wanted a chance to help Dr. Rates and let everyone understand; this is your chance.”



Petal nodded regretfully, much to Rates horror. “He can’t do this to her, can he?”



Drummer sighed and rubbed his eyes, “He’s a biblical scholar, not a preacher. There’s no rule saying he can’t… plus, she’s under oath.”



Shady cleared his throat, “Now, Miss. Dance… how well do you know the defendant?”



Petal nervously but calmly answered, “We were old friends. We knew each other in pre-school. We grew up together. Now we’re engaged to be married.”



“Which means you both basked in the glories and wonders of friendship, correct?”



“Yes.”



“And as you are both unicorns, I suppose you also had faith in magic too?”



“Yes, we both practiced together, learning to use our own special magic, and we attended my father’s services together, learning and basking more in the power of the prophets of friendship and magic.”



Shady smirked, almost wickedly, as if he were pleased with what power he had now, “But I as I recall correctly, your fiancé left your father’s church and abandoned his teachings.”



Petal felt her insides cringing, “No! He didn’t abandon friendship.”



“I’m not asking if he abandoned friendship, I am asking if he left the church.” said Shady “He stopped attending your father’s services, now why was that?”



Petal twiddled her hoofs nervously, but knowing she had to answer despite Rate’s softly shaking his head at her, and the fact she was under oath. “It was because of Pendulum Swinger.”



A silence fell over the court, as if everyone knew whom she referred to.



“Would you kindly explain that?” Shady asked.



Petal explained how Pendulum Swinger was a scientific pony, one of Rate’s best friends, and his inspiration in studying science. “The two were so close they were practically like brothers.”



She stopped for a moment.



“Yes, go on…” said Shady.



“It was only five years back… before my engagement to Rates.” said Petal “Pendulum… got sick from Pneumonia, and he died in the hospital.” Petal was starting to become a little tearful, “Then… at the funeral, my father delivered the service, but… but he…” she paused.



“He what?” asked Shady “Come on, tell us…”



“My father preached that Pendulum didn’t die in grace, because… he was not a member of his flock of followers.”



Rates bolted upright and called down to her, “Tell him what your father really said: he said that he was killed by the fates and he considered it a blessing that an “enemy of friendship” had been downed!”





This earned him ire from the crowds!



“Rates, you blasphemer…!”



“Sit down, sinner!”



Petal’s father however, had a look of regret on his face, knowing it was true, but he refused to speak out for fear of damaging his reputation any more than on the night he damned his daughter… but Rates gawked him right in the eye and shouted, “FRIENDSHIP IS SUPPOSED TO COMFORT OTHERS, NOT CONTROL THEM OR FRIGHTEN THEM TO DEATH!!”



The judge banged her gavel multiple times shouting, “Order in the court! ORDER IN THE COURT! Sit down, Dr. Rates!”



The crowd quieted down, but poor Petal was shaking, “Don’t you see; Beck thought it wasn’t fair the way the ponies disrespected Pendulum, just because he was a scientist and not a member of the church!



He left my father’s church, not friendship!”



“So it’s true then…” snapped Shady “We finally have some insight on reasons for going astray-- Beckon Rates left the church on his own accord in an act of spite towards the faith of friendship, and the support of fellow scientists and non-believers!”



Drummer pounded the table, “Objection! Whether my client went astray or not is a matter of opinion and interpretation. Strike that from the record.”



“Objection sustained.” agreed the judge “The previous statement is to be ignored by the jury.”



“Very well…” said Shady, “Now then, Miss Dance… Perhaps you’d care to explain some more insight of Rates’ opinions and views on the subject of friendship and magic.”



“Objection!” snapped Drummer “We have already ruled out the need of such evidence.”



The judge unfortunately couldn’t comply this time, “I’m afraid this matter of opinion is neceassy to be passed.



Proceed, Mr. Shady…”





Shady cleared his throat, “Now, as I was saying… would you kindly tell us the many conversations you had with the defendant and his opinions on friendship and science.”





Rates stood up again, “Petal, don’t do it…!” he cried “All the things I said to you were just my opinions, not lusts or desires. You know that! If you say them out loud, you’ll make me sound like a mad-pony.”



Tears were streaming down Petal’s face, her insides were quaking with shame ready to eat her alive. “I… I can’t… I won’t!”



“My dear, you won’t be hurting him… it’s for his own good, and the good of the town to hear the truth. That’s all we want.”



Petal could not believe how the pony she confided in was now using her like a pawn to strengthen his own case, in attempt to condemn her love to the subject of ridicule, scorn, and make him look to be wicked.



“I will not!” she snapped, but the judge wouldn’t hear of it. “Petal Dance, you are under oath. It is highly unlawful to keep evidence of great value a secret.”



“Well, Miss Dance…” said Shady “Go on, tell the court your own feelings of Dr. Rates, like he told you that friendship is a load of hogwash!”



“No!” cried Petal “Beck never said any of that stuff! He just said friendship can’t solve all things!”



“And I suppose he meant no bigotry when he denounced Princess Celestia herself for being a fraud!”



“HE DIDN’T SAY THAT!!” shouted Petal.



By this time, Shady was completely out of control, shooting his mouth off as his voice got louder as he badgered the poor pony with insane questions.



“And I bet perhaps he told you that it’s wrong to think of friendship as the one true path, or that magic doesn’t simply happen?! DOES SCIENCE KNOW ALL THE ANSWERES, DID HE MENTION THAT!”



Drummer tried to object, and the crowds began to chatter at this horrible sight, but Shady continued to shoot off…!!



“IS THIS THE KIND OF PONY YOU SUPPORT?!



ARE HIS IDEAS THE WORLD YOU WANT TO LIVE IN…?



…FILLED WITH FORCES AND ENERGRIES AND ALL BUNCH OF OTHER PARAPHENALIA TO TWIST OUR MINDS AND ROT OUR SOULS!!!



ANSWER ME…!!!!



…ANSWER ME NOW I SAY!!!!!!!”





“MAYHEW!!” shouted Penny “Mayhew, stop!”



The judge banged her gavel the hardest and loudest she ever had and a hush fell over the court. Poor Petal was quaking as she sobbed softly, hanging her head low.



“Oh… Petal…!” Rates cried.



Shady felt every eye in the court looking at him, making him realize how far he had gone. “Ahem… I believe under the circumstances… the witness should be excused.”



Judge the asked to Drummer, “Do you have any objections for the witness to be excused from cross-examination?”



Drummer had every intention to get a few words in, feeling that the defense had to have a chance to question, especially after the baffling acts of the prosecution. But Rates, out of love and concern for his fiancée, begged him “Please… don’t do it! Just let her go!”



“What are you doing?” Drummer asked “Don’t you realize if I don’t question her…”



“Don’t do it!” snapped Rates “She can’t handle it, and neither can I! I won’t put her through anymore!”



“What are you trying to do? Hand them your head on silver platter!”



“Let her go, or I swear, I’ll change my plea to guilty!”





Seeing the seriousness in his eyes, and finally coming to grips with the hysterical condition of Petal, Drummer gave in to his own conscience. “No questions.”



With that, the witness was excused.