• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 875 Views, 34 Comments

Friendship is Failure #9: Inherit The Sun - DakariKingMykan



Celestia reveals to Twilight and friends a shocking secret about her that once nearly destroyed the balance of Equestrians

  • ...
67
 34
 875

Act 2: Case Building

ACT TWO

The friends could not believe what they had just witnessed. “He’s being hauled off to jail just for teaching things that we learn every day in life?” Starlight asked “That’s just cruel.”



“Oh, that poor Pony...” Fluttershy cried. Her eyes were filling with tears of pity for Rates.



Twilight and Spike were still in total shock by the fact that Celestia could not truly raise the sun; which was what started all this.



None felt as bad as Celestia herself, especially when she had passed the law forbidding the teachings against the beliefs of friendship.



Luna tried to comfort her, “Sister, you were under pressure, and trying to help your subjects maintain a peaceful order.”



“I know…” agreed Celestia “But so much had happened already, and I didn’t wish for things to get any worse.”



She clenched herself tightly, telling the ponies that things did get worse from then on.





The images continued…



Over the past few days, Beckon Rates was labeled as a piranha. So many ponies in town turned against him. Protesting outside the Canterlot jailhouse, even making straw statutes of him to burn while singing rejoicing songs, some even threw a few rocks at the cell window hoping to hit the newly labeled “Heathen”



“Friendship hater…!”



“May the Princess have your head on her wall!”



“Friendship: Forever! Science: Never…!”







Poor Rates just sat in his cell contemplating the ridiculousness of all this; just because of a simple theory which he had proven was correct, and a such a ridiculous law saying not to teach against friendship.





Suddenly, the cell doors opened and the police ponies came in, “You’ve got a visitor, Rates.”



“I’m not in the mood right now.” Rates responded calmly.



“It’s Petal Dance.”





Hearing that, Rates dashed out of his cell…





Before long, he and his fiancée were sharing a loving embrace. She defied her father to visit the pony she loved. “Oh, Beck, can’t you just apologize… say that you didn’t mean it.”



Rates backed away from her softly, feeling insulted, “I never meant it to begin with. I wasn’t trying to destroy friendship or call it bad.



Besides, what good would it do anyway? They’re trying to silence me, Petal. They’re trying to block out the things I’ve studied, and the facts of natural life. What, they want to free my body and lock up my mind?”



His fiancée looked at him lovingly, “At least we could be together.”



Much as that would normally comfort him, Rates disagreed, “It wouldn’t be the same. I can’t live a lie, Petal. I could never lie outside while still locked up inside; forbidden from being myself.”



He paused and gazed at her deeply in her eyes, “Could you do that, Petal? Could you stand to live like that?”



Petal honestly didn’t know how to answer him. “I remember all the good times we had; skipping through the meadows. Swimming in the lakes, picnics on the hillsides while we looked up at the stars wondering about them, and looking at the moon wondering what was beyond it.



Beck, we can still have all that.”



“No, Petal… we couldn’t.” said Rates, “They’re asking to stop thinking like that because they feel it goes against friendship and magic. Who knows, maybe it does… but if all ponies continue to think like that, there would be no more free thinking, and nothing to set us apart from one-another or to make us different and unique.”



Tears were starting to form in Petal’s eyes, “I’d rather be apart from them than be away from you.”



They shared a kiss, only to be suddenly interrupted when someone cleared their throat.



There stood a middle aged, grey Earth Pony with a short white mane, and his cutiemark was that of a law book. “So, sorry to interrupt.” he said kindly.



“And who are you?” asked Petal.



The pony passed her a card from his jacket pocket, “Lawford Drummer, attorney law, scientific journalist, and representative of your fiancé.”



Rates hastily grabbed the card, “Oh, yes, I’ve heard of you. I’ve even read up some of your works. They inspired me to become a scholar.”



“Well your compliment gives me some hope.” said Drummer “These are dark times for the studies of science and naturalism, and it appears you caused quite an uproar that spread all over Equestria.”



He got out a newspaper from his briefcase; the headline which read: “Rates Label Princess Celestia Fraud!”



Rates was outraged by such a headline. “I never called her a fraud, I merely said that…”



“Oh, save your breath, son.” Drummer said “You can preach about what you say all you want, but unless you’re a holy preacher, or a biblical scholar… the folks won’t care a bit.



I know this, sir, because I’ve had my own share of ridicule and harsh judgement over my own theories and thought processes. That’s why I came straight here from Ponyville to defend you myself, like I would gladly defend a colleague of the finer facts of life, as well as the state of knowledge and learning.”



Petal was starting to feel worried of the upcoming trial. “Can’t we just appeal to Princess Celestia about the law; have it repealed?”



Drummer shook his head, “No, ma’am. Magna Carta states that even the Princess must abide by her own laws. Once she passes up a law she can’t cut it out willy-nilly. She has to have a good and legitimate reason to repeal it, and that’s what I’m here for; to get that reason.”



He then looked at Rates, “Don’t you worry, son. There hasn’t been a case of science yet that I can’t pull through. No matter what tricks they try to pull.”



Beck felt hope returning, but Petal was more worried than ever.





When she returned home, it was very late. She assumed her father would be asleep, but surprise… he was right there, waiting for her, and he didn’t look too pleased. “I saved you some dinner.” he said to her in a deep dark tone.



His daughter said nothing, and she didn’t have to. He knew she was with Rates again, even though he told her not to. Rather than reprimand her, he gazed at her pitifully, “Peace will come, my dear. There will be hope for you yet now that the sinner is exposed for all to see.”



“Stop it!” snapped Petal “Beck isn’t a sinner, father, and I won’t leave him no matter how much you may want me to. I love him!”



Her father struggled to maintain his demeanour, “But you can’t love him anymore! He’s brought nothing but shame and heresy to our town, our congregation.”



“No, he hasn’t!” snapped Petal “Father, I don’t understand you. You said you wanted me to be happy.”



“Yes, but I want you to be of pure in mind, righteous of soul. Now that I see Rates for what he truly is--”



“A teacher, Father…! He is a teacher and a scientist. All he was doing was proving and teaching there are alternative methods. Why can’t you see that? Why can’t any-pony see that? Why do you hate him so? You have ever since you first met him when I introduced him to you.”



Peach turned his back to her and stated very deeply, “Because… he stands against everything that I believe in, everything that I love and stand for; my faith in Princess Celestia, my love of her teachings and magical gifts to the world. These are the things that Equestria is built on and that which sustains us from evil!”



Petal felt heart-struck that her father would call her fiancée evil! He was beginning to seem less like a preacher and more a self-appointed prophet telling ponies how to think and what to do! Almost like how every-pony in town was behaving towards Rates.



Her father then looked at the daily paper which told of how Lawford Drummer was going to be representing Rates in the upcoming trial. “Now we have him to deal with. Him and his scientific fiddle-fuddle to say Celestia is a fake and that friendship is wrong!”



“Friendship is not wrong!” snapped Petal “That’s not what this is all about!”



Her father glared sternly at her, and then looked a picture of his late wife on the mantle above the fireplace, “I thank Celestia that your mother isn’t here to see what you’ve become. You’ve betrayed me, and you should pray for forgiveness!”



Finally, he had gone too far. Petal looked him dead in the eyes and stated “I haven’t betrayed anyone, Dad!” There was a harsh silence as her father looked at her; having never been addressed merely as “Dad” before.



“Maybe it’s you who has betrayed me!”



Her father nearly broke into tears, and got down on his knees praying for forgiveness, but in really an attempt to ignore his daughter’s bashing him.



“Ever since I was little filly, I was afraid to go to bed in the dark, fearing of shadows and monsters, and I wanted to run to you and having you hold me and tell me that everything would be okay…



…But it turns out, I was more afraid of YOU than ever I was of the dark!”



Still her father would not listen and continued to cry out to the heavens for his daughter’s forgiveness, prompting her to run to her room in tears.



At the same time, her father burst into tears himself. “Where did I go wrong?” he cried to no one in particular “How can I help her? Please… I pray… send me a miracle to save my daughter!”







Fluttershy began to cry herself. She had never seen such drama and sadness. One pony was in jail, a father and daughter were losing faith in each other. “It’s so sad!” she sobbed “So heartbreaking!”



Celestia’s tears were falling as well, but she stayed strong not to cry herself.



Her sister took pity on her, “Sister, if you wish to stop this…?”



“Yes, your highness. We’ll understand.” added Twilight, but Celestia shook her head, insisting that they continue onward.





There was a knock at Preach’s front door. It was one of his well-known supporters named Ma Wool; a middle-aged blue Earth Pony mare, with a two-toned colored mane due to her age, and a cutiemark of knitting needles.



“What brings you hear, my child?” Preach asked kindly.



Ma smiled widely and said, “I’ve got great news, and surely it’s the work of the friendship of heavens. I know who’s going to be representing our side of the trial…”



She handed him a letter of notice, and Preach’s eyes glittered brighter than when he first learned about the law enforcement. “Thank Celestia! Thank the gods and the magic of friendship!”







A few days later, which the friends skipped instantly to, there was a big celebration. The streets were loud with cheers from the many ponies that had gathered, welcoming a visitor to Canterlot.



His name: Mayhew Sunshine Shady. A middle-aged maroon tawny colored Pegasus pony. With dark hair on the sides of his head while the top of his head was clear. His cutiemark: a picture of a table, the kind used in the ancient days for writing commandments.





He was a well-known biblical scholar, and considered among the holiest of many ponies; almost the equivalent to Preach Chior; believing in magic and in Celestia’s teachings and friendship, knowing many passes in the history of said actions.





His wife, Penny Till, a maroon colored pegasai with a dark toned mane, and a penny in a poor-box as her cutiemark… she rode next to him in the carriage, waving to the crowds and accepting their welcome cheers.



As soon as they got to Canterlot town-hall, Shady greeted everyone. “My friends, my fellow ponies, believers, and of course, thanks to the light of the princess.”



Everyone bowed as if he were addressing Celestia as a prayer, despite her not even being present.





“You didn’t attend?” Starlight asked.



Celestia shook her head, “I was away at a conference in Baltimare while this was happening. This was a mere meeting setup by the townsfolk, but of course I knew then the kind of pony that Mr. Shady was. Despite him claiming to be biblical and righteous…



…Well, see for yourself.”





The friends all watched as Shady gave his speech.



“My friends, my wife and I have come all the way from Cloudsdale, to help represent you in this dark time that you village has fallen into. For as said in the biblical studies…



Gusty 25:17 The path of the thinker and the pony is beset on all sides by the inequities of the spiteful and tyranny of hate teachings



Blessed are they who, in the name of the magic of friendship and harmony, shepherd the meek through the valley of the opposing


For they are truly their fan's keepers and the finders of lost wills
And we will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy our ways of life!



Blessed are you who withstand malevolence, for you with approval, shall receive the crown of friendship. Peace be with you!”



The crowd of supporters cheered for joy, feeling the case was already one. Many were even slandering at the arts and sciences that were being put to trial.



…Much to Twilight’s outrage! “I can’t believe this! They’re all behaving like a brigade of avengers… over learning?!”



“Believe me, I felt the same when I first witnessed these images.” said Luna.



Spike couldn’t stop glaring at Shady, “Boy, he doesn’t seem like the kind the ponies want to question.”



“That’s what I felt as well.” agreed Celestia “Shady would send me many letters of thanks to me for providing for the community, sharing my teachings. As flattering as it was, it did get rather annoying in time; being constantly thanked for every single thing! Some of which I didn’t even cause myself.”



The friends felt sorry for her having to endure all that, but then again it came with her title and role as monarch of Equestria.



“If you think that’s all bad… wait until you see the trial.”